Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion

Politics & Religion Discussion of politics and religion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 12:28am   #1
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member
Points: 13,944, Level: 81
Activity: 24.2%
 
zz4vetteguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 60
Thanked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916
Default Race Warz - Black v. African American

I got into a heated debate with a co-worker last night bacause we were talking about some guests, and I said "Oh, are you talking about that polite younger black couple"...she quickly sneered at me an said "NO, African American"...so I asked her, how she knew they were from natrualized US citizens from Africa...

That lead to the conversation about a college class mate of mine who was white, 4th generation African born, moved to the US and became a citizen...she said he was not African American because he was not black...ummm hello, he was BORN an African as was his father, and both his grandfathers...I think that constituts him being African.

That lead to my bringing up 2 more questions. 1)Why should I refer to them as African Americans if they were born in the US...they are Americans, and 2)Not all blacks come from Africa, so wouldn't that be as bad as calling all people of Asian decent Chinese, and all hispanics Mexican?


What says the all wise and knowing people of VBOTPR&C on this matter?
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:33am   #2
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 80,628, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 47,139
Thanks: 23,185
Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,728 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1130682
Default

Who gives a shit?? and why???
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 07:09am   #3
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 44,553, Level: 100
Activity: 42.9%
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie FL
Posts: 31,043
Thanks: 15,245
Thanked 8,162 Times in 4,288 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1082098
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy View Post
I got into a heated debate with a co-worker last night bacause we were talking about some guests, and I said "Oh, are you talking about that polite younger black couple"...she quickly sneered at me an said "NO, African American"...so I asked her, how she knew they were from natrualized US citizens from Africa...

That lead to the conversation about a college class mate of mine who was white, 4th generation African born, moved to the US and became a citizen...she said he was not African American because he was not black...ummm hello, he was BORN an African as was his father, and both his grandfathers...I think that constituts him being African.

That lead to my bringing up 2 more questions. 1)Why should I refer to them as African Americans if they were born in the US...they are Americans, and 2)Not all blacks come from Africa, so wouldn't that be as bad as calling all people of Asian decent Chinese, and all hispanics Mexican?


What says the all wise and knowing people of VBOTPR&C on this matter?
Explain to her that the term was coined by Jessie Jackson to septate Black Americans from the rest of us and you consider it divisive.
Second tell her that you believe that ALL Hyphenated Americans are wrong and quote Teddy Roosevelt.

If she does not get it after that kick her in the box.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 08:59am   #4
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 43,479, Level: 100
Activity: 77.6%
 
Fasglas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Troll Free Zone
Posts: 13,049
Thanks: 3,928
Thanked 5,090 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183
Default

I have a very good friend who was born in Tunisia and is a naturalized American. (Blonde hair, blue eyes)

He tells a story of being refused a mortgage. At the time, the application asked ethnicity, and he checked African-American. The bank said he didn't look like an African-American.

He produced documents to indicate the error in the bank's generalization. He was approved... On the spot.

He refers to himself as an American.
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fasglas For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 05:41pm   #5
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17
Points: 46,676, Level: 100
Activity: 99.0%
 
69camfrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in GA
Posts: 18,623
Thanks: 6,703
Thanked 7,970 Times in 3,667 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1064407
Default

I've said it more times than I can count. You're either American or not. I don't give a shit if you're black, brown, green. etc. The hyphenation is nothing more than a devisive term. Not every black person in this country that is American even has African roots, nor have most EVER lived there. It is a completely devisive term, just as Asian American. You're either American or not, and if you don't embrace what America has to offer, then maybe it's time to go back to where you think you came from and not come back. I've never heard one of my black or Asian friends say they are African and or Asian American.

One of the teachers at my wife's school was adopted by American parents as a baby, she has a Doctorate degree and a Georgia accent that would melt ice. Yes, she has full blooded Korean roots, but dammit, she will say, Hey Ya'll in an instant. If you want to separate yourself from other Americans, then by all means do so, but I have no use for it. If you want to live somewhere else, then go on. Otherwise the productiveness of this country will continue to decline. I don't want to hear excuses.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 69camfrk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2012, 11:42pm   #6
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member
Points: 13,944, Level: 81
Activity: 24.2%
 
zz4vetteguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 60
Thanked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Who gives a shit?? and why???
to get us off fecking politics for a while and discuse something more civil...like race
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 11:47pm   #7
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member
Points: 13,944, Level: 81
Activity: 24.2%
 
zz4vetteguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 60
Thanked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camfrk View Post
I've said it more times than I can count. You're either American or not. I don't give a shit if you're black, brown, green. etc. The hyphenation is nothing more than a devisive term. Not every black person in this country that is American even has African roots, nor have most EVER lived there. It is a completely devisive term, just as Asian American. You're either American or not, and if you don't embrace what America has to offer, then maybe it's time to go back to where you think you came from and not come back. I've never heard one of my black or Asian friends say they are African and or Asian American.

One of the teachers at my wife's school was adopted by American parents as a baby, she has a Doctorate degree and a Georgia accent that would melt ice. Yes, she has full blooded Korean roots, but dammit, she will say, Hey Ya'll in an instant. If you want to separate yourself from other Americans, then by all means do so, but I have no use for it. If you want to live somewhere else, then go on. Otherwise the productiveness of this country will continue to decline. I don't want to hear excuses.
because if you really think about in the same light that they look at it, then none of us are "just American's", unless you are native american, then all of our families came from somewhere else...I guess that maked me an Italian American.
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:36am   #8
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Points: 43,479, Level: 100
Activity: 77.6%
 
Fasglas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Troll Free Zone
Posts: 13,049
Thanks: 3,928
Thanked 5,090 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy View Post
because if you really think about in the same light that they look at it, then none of us are "just American's", unless you are native american, then all of our families came from somewhere else...I guess that maked me an Italian American.
Actually, the "native Americans" are, in reality, ABORIGINAL, as they too came from somewhere else. They do, however, have the distinction of being on the American continent first.

Fact.
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:34am   #9
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member
Points: 13,944, Level: 81
Activity: 24.2%
 
zz4vetteguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 60
Thanked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
Wait we're talking about NASCAR now?
No, if I wanted to talked about racing I would talk Road Course, not people who can only turn in one direction.
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:42am   #10
onedef92
Vette Barn Deacon
Barn Raising II
Points: 122,451, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
onedef92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Fort Knox, KY
Posts: 32,907
Thanks: 5,502
Thanked 9,189 Times in 4,541 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $21169452
Default

"There's so much more to life than color." - England Green
onedef92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:30pm   #11
TR6speed
Charter Member
Points: 6,311, Level: 54
Activity: 0%
 
TR6speed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 170
Thanks: 11
Thanked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasglas View Post
Actually, the "native Americans" are, in reality, ABORIGINAL, as they too came from somewhere else. They do, however, have the distinction of being on the American continent first.

Fact.
Well I believe we have been taught that the American Indian migrated to the North American continent, but if you go to Cherokee N.C. I believe you may find that they don't go along with that way of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy View Post
No, if I wanted to talked about racing I would talk Road Course, not people who can only turn in one direction.
Now we are talking. If you want to go auto racing you need to turn left and right.

Back to the main topic. Is Obama African-American? I say yes, after all his father was African and his mother was American, therefore he can truly claim this to be true African- American. Where he was born seems to be up in the air.
TR6speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34pm   #12
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 80,628, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 47,139
Thanks: 23,185
Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,728 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1130682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy View Post
because if you really think about in the same light that they look at it, then none of us are "just American's", unless you are native american, then all of our families came from somewhere else...I guess that maked me an Italian American.
Nah, that makes you a guinea or wop......
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35pm   #13
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 80,628, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Park Florida
Posts: 47,139
Thanks: 23,185
Thanked 6,661 Times in 3,728 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1130682
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedef92 View Post
"There's so much more to life than color." - England Green
What ever happened to him? damn nearly never see any posts?? Didn't he have a engine/hotrod/car shop in Houston area???

hope he doing well....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:49am   #14
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member
Points: 13,944, Level: 81
Activity: 24.2%
 
zz4vetteguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 60
Thanked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Nah, that makes you a guinea or wop......
Wop....that is the sound an Italian sports car makes when it has a flat...wopwopwopwopwop.
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:52am   #15
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member
Points: 13,944, Level: 81
Activity: 24.2%
 
zz4vetteguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Virginia Beach VA
Posts: 2,284
Thanks: 60
Thanked 337 Times in 226 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR6speed View Post
Now we are talking. If you want to go auto racing you need to turn left and right.

Back to the main topic. .
You are sorta on topic, you are discussing the Left and the Right.
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:50am   #16
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Points: 30,250, Level: 100
Activity: 24.5%
 
Olustee bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Olustee, Fl
Posts: 8,736
Thanks: 3,397
Thanked 2,086 Times in 1,194 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1230080
Default

Down heah in Alabama, we're still struggling with NEEgroe!
Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page