Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2016, 10:04am   #1
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Points: 67,589, Level: 100
Activity: 99.9%
 
island14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bamboo Hut
Posts: 33,093
Thanks: 9,172
Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076
Default Drinking with a Homeless Retired Air Force guy tonight

He tells me he put in 22 years now.. retired and never looked back.

He was a Dentist.. great guy I like him and introduced him to a girl tonight.

He has not lived in the USA in over 10 years now, and has not even had a full time rental home since then.

Most of his time was in Thailand, but also spent a lot of time in other SE Asia countries, like Viet Nam, Cambodia, Laos.. ect

But now looking to settle down in the Philippines.

Homeless sounds like a bad thing, but I kinda respect where he is coming from.

It's not that he could not afford to have a home.. he just has not found a place just yet he wants to stay.

Dude is living the life, stays in hotels that are cheaper than USA rental homes and traveling the world living on his retirement.

(yeah I'm thinking about you Monte)


#Homelessbuthappy!


island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:16am   #2
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Points: 46,250, Level: 100
Activity: 57.1%
 
boracayjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Posts: 19,219
Thanks: 5,483
Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,547 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1314033
Default

There are folks referred to as, "Terminal Bums". Those are retirees that travel the world by using Space Available seats. They spend plenty of time in terminals waiting for flights. The best interaction was between two fellas hanging out at billeting, the base hotel, that got liquored up and battled it out due to a discussion about where a flight was going.
boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:23am   #3
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Points: 67,589, Level: 100
Activity: 99.9%
 
island14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bamboo Hut
Posts: 33,093
Thanks: 9,172
Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boracayjohnny View Post
There are folks referred to as, "Terminal Bums". Those are retirees that travel the world by using Space Available seats. They spend plenty of time in terminals waiting for flights. The best interaction was between two fellas hanging out at billeting, the base hotel, that got liquored up and battled it out due to a discussion about where a flight was going.



Dood is likeable as heck... not sure what you mean..

Wish I had his monthly income.. it wont go far over there but goes really far over here...
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 11:25am   #4
simpleman68
Barn Stall Owner #17
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '12,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 33,374, Level: 100
Activity: 54.3%
 
simpleman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bethlehem Pennsyltuckey
Posts: 13,483
Thanks: 1,960
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,422 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $175
Default

Wish I was there to buy him a round.
Those guys have some interesting stories. Not that you don't.
Scott
__________________
2004 M6 MSG
AMR forged 416
10.61 @ 133.24
11.22 @ 128 street tires old motor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCDpFvbMLCM
simpleman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to simpleman68 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 11:46am   #5
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Points: 46,250, Level: 100
Activity: 57.1%
 
boracayjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Posts: 19,219
Thanks: 5,483
Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,547 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1314033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by island14 View Post



Dood is likeable as heck... not sure what you mean..

Wish I had his monthly income.. it wont go far over there but goes really far over here...
Yea, I took a left turn there some where. Your story reminded me of another story. Mine involved fellas that look like homeless, act like homeless, use the Space A system, and make terminals their default home. Your friend seems much more balanced than those fellas.
boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:29pm   #6
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Points: 67,589, Level: 100
Activity: 99.9%
 
island14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bamboo Hut
Posts: 33,093
Thanks: 9,172
Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boracayjohnny View Post
Yea, I took a left turn there some where. Your story reminded me of another story. Mine involved fellas that look like homeless, act like homeless, use the Space A system, and make terminals their default home. Your friend seems much more balanced than those fellas.

I think it's where I called him homeless that threw you off..


This guy looks like a Dentist, acts like a dentist, talks like a Dentist.. (If he talks at all.. kinda quiet) but could have just walked out of the MASH Movie..

Owns a place in the US, but it's rented out.. (more income)

He wants to buy a place here.. I'm trying to talk him out of it..

Single guys do not need to buy land here...

He is only homeless by choice as he never stays anywhere long enough to rent, and prefers hotels. and was laughing about it..

Eats out everyday, drinks at the expat bars.. and has the budget to do so

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 03:35pm   #7
boracayjohnny
A Real Barner
Points: 46,250, Level: 100
Activity: 57.1%
 
boracayjohnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Out back of Victory Over America Palace, Baghdad while throwing chicken bones.
Posts: 19,219
Thanks: 5,483
Thanked 7,075 Times in 3,547 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1314033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by island14 View Post
I think it's where I called him homeless that threw you off..


This guy looks like a Dentist, acts like a dentist, talks like a Dentist.. (If he talks at all.. kinda quiet) but could have just walked out of the MASH Movie..

Owns a place in the US, but it's rented out.. (more income)

He wants to buy a place here.. I'm trying to talk him out of it..

Single guys do not need to buy land here...

He is only homeless by choice as he never stays anywhere long enough to rent, and prefers hotels. and was laughing about it..

Eats out everyday, drinks at the expat bars.. and has the budget to do so

He was a dentist so that makes him an officer. He retired so he was, I'll ball park, a Lt Col. A Lt Col retirement pay can be as good as some folks that work. So, damn right he's living the life many would enjoy. A pocket full of cash and Asia calling him.
boracayjohnny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 05:06pm   #8
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17
Points: 46,676, Level: 100
Activity: 99.0%
 
69camfrk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in GA
Posts: 18,623
Thanks: 6,703
Thanked 7,970 Times in 3,667 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1064407
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boracayjohnny View Post
He was a dentist so that makes him an officer. He retired so he was, I'll ball park, a Lt Col. A Lt Col retirement pay can be as good as some folks that work. So, damn right he's living the life many would enjoy. A pocket full of cash and Asia calling him.
Yeah, he ain't hurtin'. When I'm done, I'm gonna stake out a place on a C-17 and call deuces.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:23pm   #9
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Points: 13,533, Level: 80
Activity: 25.6%
 
Broken Wind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: It's my Indian name
Posts: 3,233
Thanks: 1,103
Thanked 1,114 Times in 551 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1012198
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boracayjohnny View Post
He was a dentist so that makes him an officer. He retired so he was, I'll ball park, a Lt Col. A Lt Col retirement pay can be as good as some folks that work. So, damn right he's living the life many would enjoy. A pocket full of cash and Asia calling him.
If he has an ex wife, that pension might be more akin to an E-6's. Ask me how I know.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:46pm   #10
Shrike6
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 14,589, Level: 83
Activity: 2.4%
 
Shrike6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,793
Thanks: 177
Thanked 1,345 Times in 744 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $619225
Default

I wish Tim would have mentioned the guy's name. I was an AF Dentist for 20 years. Slight chance I might have crossed paths.
Shrike6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:03pm   #11
GentleBen
Barn Stall Owner #84
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 14,353, Level: 82
Activity: 14.9%
 
GentleBen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 2,889
Thanks: 570
Thanked 1,637 Times in 765 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $112408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind View Post
If he has an ex wife, that pension might be more akin to an E-6's. Ask me how I know.
Ahh, but you have to get rid of them (or they you) before the magic 10-year point. I lost two wives along the way to a 30-year career (enlisted and officer) and neither gets a penny of my LTC pension.
GentleBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:31am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page