Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 10:14pm   #41
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.3%

Thanked 3,822 Times in 2,202 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
Good training, but maybe you missed my point. You are there for the purpose of training, so no matter how difficult you make it on yourself, at the end of the day, you are there to engage. If you really want to make it realistic set up your training scenarios, but go home without firing a single shot. Keep repeating these “non-shooting” exercises, until the student gets bored and tired of being mentally prepared. About the 15th time you hold a training session, “BAM” without warning go hot. See how well you engage then. That’s what real life is like. No one can stay in condition orange and red all the time. Sooner or later you have to go back to white.
I like to think my training will build a "muscle memory" of sorts... kind of like dry fire. Makes the "correct motion" the reaction to stress instead of panic. It has to be better preparation than sitting on the couch watching Fox News... you think?
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:20pm   #42
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 11.2%

Thanked 8,381 Times in 4,242 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

What Nox is trying to say is, until you’ve had ordinance aimed at you you have no clue what you’d do. If you are in a collective unit, you default to how you’ve been trained.
Deer hunters aren’t trained for warfare. They don’t know how to collectively take what weapons they have and use them to their optimum use. Saying you have a weapon and using it in a wartime situation is a totally different story.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 10:29pm   #43
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.3%

Thanked 3,822 Times in 2,202 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
What Nox is trying to say is, until you’ve had ordinance aimed at you you have no clue what you’d do. If you are in a collective unit, you default to how you’ve been trained.
Deer hunters aren’t trained for warfare. They don’t know how to collectively take what weapons they have and use them to their optimum use. Saying you have a weapon and using it in a wartime situation is a totally different story.
I fully understand what you and NOX are saying.
Pilots train in a simulator before they are allowed to fly paying customers to their respective destinations. I have no military experience to draw from so I am limited to a "simulator" alone.
I say that makes me at least as combat ready as any recruit just out of basic, and light years ahead of Joe Average who just bought a new Rhino .357 revolver because GQ magazine reviewed one and it is "just the SHIT".
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:53pm   #44
BADRACR1
Barn Stall Owner #5150
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 3,972 Times in 1,502 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2000032332

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
I shoot indoor Glock matches and I regularly outscore the LEOs who compete. .
My son and I went to the local PD training grounds with his church group a few years ago. It's no wonder you hear of an officer firing fifteen rounds and hitting the suspect one or two times. We both smoked 'em on the range. The instructor told me that half the guys on the force couldn't shoot near as good as we could. Of course, no one was shooting back.
In all fairness we went about once a month to the range for a couple of hours. But it did pay off. They had us do one drill where we stood eight feet from a target, draw and fire, took two steps back and fired again. Dude said I missed the target completely on my second shot. I told him no way possible. He walked up to the target, looked, turned and smiled and said, "You keyholed it. Damn." I told him I was good with that, just knew I didn't miss. Lucky shot!
BADRACR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:54pm   #45
BADRACR1
Barn Stall Owner #5150
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 3,972 Times in 1,502 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2000032332

Quote:
I frequent 2 different indoor and 1 outdoor range and can tell you that in my area the average range attendee is highly unlikely to fully understand the manual of arms for their weapon, never mind putting rounds center mass on a B-27 at 20 feet. They shoot up the side walls, the floor and the ceiling baffles pretty good though.
Dead man's guns. You know. The one's you'll be picking up.
BADRACR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 11:39pm   #46
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 11,493 Times in 5,018 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
I'm happy to say the shooters at my gun club are very proficient with their firearms.

When we first opened up our ranges to the local police, the day after was "fix the target stands" as they had difficulty keeping it on paper. Luckily the donated range time has improved their skills.
As much I consider myself a pretty good marksman, (and I have had plenty of practice) making a shot like the former FBI agent did in Texas at the church, takes an amazing amount of skill. Normal people would have been lucky to get center mass on the shooter at that distance, plus, keeping any type of situational awareness. If I could, I would shoot every day, and hope to be that good.
69camfrk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 12:02am   #47
Nox
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 1,676 Times in 634 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69camfrk View Post
As much I consider myself a pretty good marksman, (and I have had plenty of practice) making a shot like the former FBI agent did in Texas at the church, takes an amazing amount of skill. Normal people would have been lucky to get center mass on the shooter at that distance, plus, keeping any type of situational awareness. If I could, I would shoot every day, and hope to be that good.
The textbook will tell you that it’s all about sight alignment, sight picture, grip, stance, breathing, and follow through. While those things are important, the issue when you’re actually engaging a live threat is your body pumping adrenaline into your system and elevating your pulse, blood pressure and causing your perception and reactions to become skewed. That’s what you need to train to overcome; fighting and taming your own body.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 1:15am   #48
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 11,493 Times in 5,018 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
The textbook will tell you that it’s all about sight alignment, sight picture, grip, stance, breathing, and follow through. While those things are important, the issue when you’re actually engaging a live threat is your body pumping adrenaline into your system and elevating your pulse, blood pressure and causing your perception and reactions to become skewed. That’s what you need to train to overcome; fighting and taming your own body.
And that sums it up exactly. And even though I shoot, carry, etc. I know damn well that without a shit ton more training in a stress filled environment, I don't think I could have made the shot. I'm sure there will be plenty of folks that think they can, but you definitely have a lot to control as you said. The crazy thing is, if you do have the training, and the stability for the shot, 5-6 seconds is plenty of time to eliminate the threat.
69camfrk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 5:11am   #49
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstic View Post
I’m sure there are a lot of non gun owners in the large cities...most likely many who have never shot a gun.

I grew up in farm country in central Alabama...I was 5 when I received my first BB gun (supervised when shooting of course) by seven I was shooting a 22 rifle. My family learned to respect guns from a young age.
Back 65+ years ago, when the Md. burbs of Wash DC were largely country, and the entire region didn't suffer like NYC with over population and crappy philosophy ....my background was very similar....my sister's inlaws had a 40 acre farmette, I even learned to drive there, in a WW2 General's Jeep, complete with white star on the hood.....subdivided 1/2 century ago into 1/2+ acre housing......
First ex wife was from Savannah Ga. so used to guns, second ex was from Lonk Ilant and not used to guns/no interest.......wife now had a pistol in her hand when born......

5.15 here AM, I read the above to my wife, and she strongly complained that she don't like guns, used to them being around, but she don't like them....never been much of a topic around here, really.....
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 5:14am   #50
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
If your still is rusty you ain't a true good ole boy... the best shine is distilled in pure copper!
I B nervous over the solder used in the joints........
Old 01-18-2020, 5:28am   #51
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Off the Blue Ridge Parkway, near the Pisgah National Forest.
Wife/I drove the BR Pkwy and Skyline Drive some years ago, and along there is one of the better pictures we ever took, this simply purrfect shaped LARGE maple tree off to the right around a curve, and that tree was RED, really seriously RED to rival any car.......that was one of our more memorable FUN trips.....
Old 01-18-2020, 7:53am   #52
allthrottleandsomebottle
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,705 Times in 588 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1005893

Kinda like road racing...............single file HPDE you can hit the racing line every time......real events, you drive where you need to....some can... some cant
Lots of fun training recruits at Camp Perry WMSBG.....
allthrottleandsomebottle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to allthrottleandsomebottle For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic