Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2015, 9:23am   #1
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 7,050 Times in 3,110 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46272
Default The 150th anniversary of the end of the ACW

is soon upon us. I've enjoyed reading the correspondence between the leaders of each army. I'll post some of it in this thread for a couple of days.

Grant proposed surrender and Lee considered it.

HEADQUARTERS ARMIES OF THE UNITED STATES,

April 7, 1865-5 p. m.

General R. E. LEE,

Commanding C. S. Army:

GENERAL: The result of the last week must convince you of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the Army of Northern Virginia in this struggle. I feel that it is so, and regard it as my duty to shift from myself the responsibility of any further effusion of blood by asking of you the surrender of that portion of the C. S. Army known as the Army of Northern Virginia.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General, Commanding Armies of the United States.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APRIL 7, 1865.

Lieutenant General U. S. GRANT,

Commanding Armies of the United States:

GENERAL: I have received your note of this date. Though not entertaining the opinion you express of the hopelessness of further resistance on the part of the Army of Northern Virginia, I reciprocate your desire to avoid useless effusion of blood, and therefore, before considering your proposition, ask the terms you will offer on condition of its surrender.

R. E. LEE,

General.
Grey Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 9:25am   #2
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

General R. E. LEE:

GENERAL: Your note of last evening, in reply to mine of same date, asking the condition on which I will accept the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, is just received. In reply I would say that, peace being my great desire, there is but one condition I would insist upon, namely, that the men and officers surrendered shall be disqualified for taking up arms again against the Government of the United States until properly exchanged. I will meet you or will designate officers to meet any officers you may name for the same purpose, at any point agreeable to you, for the purpose of arranging definitely the terms upon which the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia will be received.

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APRIL 8, 1865.

Lieutenant General U. S. GRANT:

GENERAL: I received at a late hour your note of to-day. In mine of yesterday I did not intend to propose the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia, but to ask the terms of your proposition. To be frank, I do not think the emergency has arisen to call for the surrender of this army, but as the restoration of peace should be the sole object of all, I desire to know whether your proposals would lead to that end. I cannot, therefore, meet you with a view to surrender the Army of Northern Virginia, but as far as your proposal may affect the C. S.forces under my command, and tend to the restoration of peace, I should be pleased to meet you at 10 a.m. to-morrow, on the old stage road to Richmond, between the picket-line of the two armies.

R. E. LEE,

General.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 10:29am   #3
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:
ACW

WoNE

Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 11:18am   #4
DukeAllen
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.5%

Thanked 9,186 Times in 4,944 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10001598

If Lee knew what we know, he'd have kept fighting...
DukeAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DukeAllen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 12:49pm   #5
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,783 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1232517

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeAllen View Post
If Lee knew what we know, he'd have kept fighting...
What would North America be like now. What would the world be like?
Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 1:38pm   #6
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post
What would North America be like now. What would the world be like?
Somewhat less inclined to be caught between learning Spanish and Farsi.
Old 04-08-2015, 3:13pm   #7
Truck Guy
Barn Stall Owner #18
NCM Supporter '11
Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,647 Times in 1,089 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $227052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post

WoNE

You Sons of the South sure can hold a grudge for a long time.

If I can remind you that the war started on April 12, 1861 by the CSA firing on Ft. Sumter.

So I guess it should be a WoSE

P.S. Don't make us burn down Atlanta again...
Truck Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Truck Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 3:15pm   #8
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,198 Times in 1,783 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1232517

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Guy View Post

If I can remind you that the war started on April 12, 1861 by the CSA firing on Ft. Sumter.

I think you can go ahead and burn down Atlanta again. Stay in the city limits and I think you would be fine.
Olustee bus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Olustee bus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 3:17pm   #9
Truck Guy
Barn Stall Owner #18
NCM Supporter '11
Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,647 Times in 1,089 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $227052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olustee bus View Post
I think you can go ahead and burn down Atlanta again. Stay in the city limits and I think you would be fine.
Same with Chicago...
Truck Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Truck Guy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 4:17pm   #10
Kerrmudgeon
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 18,411 Times in 8,713 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4614507

Swor woosas.......

Kerrmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kerrmudgeon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2015, 4:23pm   #11
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Guy View Post

Please, please burn down Atlanta. And New Orleans, Chicago, NYC, L.A., San Francisco, D.C., St. Louis and East St. Louis, and Memphis. That's Stage 1.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lspencer534 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 11:17am   #12
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

APRIL 9, 1865.

General R. E. LEE:

GENERAL: Your note of yesterday is received. I have no authority to treat on the subject of peace; the meeting proposed for 10 a.m. to-day could lead to no good. I will state, however, general, that I am equally anxious for peace with yourself, and the whole North entertains the same feeling. The terms upon which peace can be had are well understood. By the South laying down their arms they will hasten that most desirable event, save thousands of human lives, and hundreds of millions of property not yet destroyed. Seriously hoping that all our difficulties may be settled without the loss of another life, I subscribe myself, &c.,

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

On the morning of the 9th General Ord's command and the Fifth Corps reached Appomattox Station just as the enemy was making a desperate effort to break through our cavalry. The infantry was at once thrown in. Soon after a white flag was received, requesting a suspension of hostilities pending negotiations for a surrender. Before reaching General Sheridan's headquarters I received the following from General Lee:

APRIL 9, 1865.

GENERAL: I received your note of this morning on the picket-line, wither I had come to meet you and ascertain definitely what terms were embraced in your proposal of yesterday with reference to the surrender of this army. I now ask an interview in accordance with the offer contained in your letter of yesterday for that purpose.

R. E. LEE,

General.

The interview was held at Appomattox Court-House, the result of which is set forth in the following correspondence:

APPOMATTOX COURT-HOUSE, VA., April 9, 1865.

General R. E. LEE:

GENERAL: In accordance with the substance of my letter to you of the 8th instant, I propose to receive the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia on the following terms, to wit: Rolls of all the officers and men, to be made in duplicate, one copy to be given to an officer to be designated by me, the other to be retained by such officer or officers as you may designate. The officers to give their individual paroles to take up arms against the Government of the United States until properly exchanged; and each company or regimental commander sign a like parole for the men of their commands. The arms, artillery, and public property to be parked and stacked, and turned over to the officers appointed by me to receive them. This will not embrace the side-arms of the officers, nor their private horses or baggage. This done, each officer and man will be allowed to return to his home, not to be disturbed by U. S.authority so long as they observe their paroles and the laws in force where they may reside.

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHER VIRGINIA, April 9, 1865.

GENERAL: I received your letter of this date containing the terms of surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia as propose by you. As they substantially the same as those expressed in your letter of the 8th instant, they are accepted. I will proceed to designate the proper officers to carry the stipulations into effect.

R. E. LEE,

General.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2015, 11:34am   #13
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,348 Times in 10,558 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrmudgeon View Post
Swor woosas.......

LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 10:38pm   #14
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Old 04-10-2015, 3:55am   #15
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
Please, please burn down Atlanta. And New Orleans, Chicago, NYC, L.A., San Francisco, D.C., St. Louis and East St. Louis, and Memphis. That's Stage 1.

Nice list.. but you left out Detroit..
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 3:57am   #16
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost View Post
APRIL 9, 1865.

General R. E. LEE:

GENERAL: Your note of yesterday is received. I have no authority to treat on the subject of peace; the meeting proposed for 10 a.m. to-day could lead to no good. I will state, however, general, that I am equally anxious for peace with yourself, and the whole North entertains the same feeling. The terms upon which peace can be had are well understood. By the South laying down their arms they will hasten that most desirable event, save thousands of human lives, and hundreds of millions of property not yet destroyed. Seriously hoping that all our difficulties may be settled without the loss of another life, I subscribe myself, &c.,

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

On the morning of the 9th General Ord's command and the Fifth Corps reached Appomattox Station just as the enemy was making a desperate effort to break through our cavalry. The infantry was at once thrown in. Soon after a white flag was received, requesting a suspension of hostilities pending negotiations for a surrender. Before reaching General Sheridan's headquarters I received the following from General Lee:

APRIL 9, 1865.

GENERAL: I received your note of this morning on the picket-line, wither I had come to meet you and ascertain definitely what terms were embraced in your proposal of yesterday with reference to the surrender of this army. I now ask an interview in accordance with the offer contained in your letter of yesterday for that purpose.

R. E. LEE,

General.

The interview was held at Appomattox Court-House, the result of which is set forth in the following correspondence:

APPOMATTOX COURT-HOUSE, VA., April 9, 1865.

General R. E. LEE:

GENERAL: In accordance with the substance of my letter to you of the 8th instant, I propose to receive the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia on the following terms, to wit: Rolls of all the officers and men, to be made in duplicate, one copy to be given to an officer to be designated by me, the other to be retained by such officer or officers as you may designate. The officers to give their individual paroles to take up arms against the Government of the United States until properly exchanged; and each company or regimental commander sign a like parole for the men of their commands. The arms, artillery, and public property to be parked and stacked, and turned over to the officers appointed by me to receive them. This will not embrace the side-arms of the officers, nor their private horses or baggage. This done, each officer and man will be allowed to return to his home, not to be disturbed by U. S.authority so long as they observe their paroles and the laws in force where they may reside.

U. S. GRANT,

Lieutenant-General.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHER VIRGINIA, April 9, 1865.

GENERAL: I received your letter of this date containing the terms of surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia as propose by you. As they substantially the same as those expressed in your letter of the 8th instant, they are accepted. I will proceed to designate the proper officers to carry the stipulations into effect.

R. E. LEE,

General.

Great thread, and interesting history here that you posted.

Thanks for sharing this.

island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 8:16am   #17
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by island14 View Post
Great thread, and interesting history here that you posted.

Thanks for sharing this.

The details are really cool - Lee only surrendered the ANV on that day. Many other surrenders had to come in the following days. Lee arrived with only one other Confed. officer. Lee was dressed in a clean uniform. Grant arrived in a muddy uniform with a staff of officers. One was Lincoln's son. Grant brought along the officer that had the best penmanship of the entire army to write out the terms. He was full native American and had no ink to write out the terms. Lee's officer supplied the ink. They needed two copies and Lee brought no paper along. Grant's people supplied the paper. Grant and Lee had met before in the Mexican war. Grant was pretty generous on terms. He supplied rations to feed the starving ANV. They also supplied passes for free travel on trains, etc...to help them get back home.

This is really ironic -

Wilmer McLean (May 3, 1814 – June 5, 1882) was a wholesale grocer from Virginia. It is said that the American Civil War "started in his front yard and ended in his front parlor".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilmer_McLean
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 9:21am   #18
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

You learn something new every day. I didn't know the story about the paper and ink.
Old 04-10-2015, 12:03pm   #19
Grey Ghost
A Real Barner

The boys of '61

How the last American Civil War veterans lived, loved and died
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grey Ghost For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2015, 10:21pm   #20
LT4fun
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 0.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $188

There were a few programs on CSpan3 this week discussing the week leading up to Appomattox that I watched. There was a discussion about the condition of Richmond after it was evacuated with many pictures. The Battle at Sailor's Creek and the last battles at Appomattox Court House and Appomattox Station were discussed too. These were recorded last month at Longwood College I believe.

They also showed the ceremonies marking the 150th anniversary of Lee's surrender at Appomattox yesterday. It looks like it will come on again tomorrow at 6 pm and 10 pm EDT.

It was interesting, but I wished it had more reenactment scenes.

There's also supposed to be another live show at 1:00 EDT Sunday too showing a reenactment of the formal surrender of arms.
LT4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LT4fun For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic