Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2024, 5:19pm   #241
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,453 Times in 10,612 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
What area do you live at?
Panhandle. West of Tallahassee. North of I-10.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 5:27pm   #242
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 77.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
But what's the point? EV's are not clean. They have huge carbon footprint. Their batteries are produced by child labor and are toxic waste of Superfund proportions. And they need to be charged from fossil fueled energy sources most of the time.

My 63 year-old Corvette with dual 4 barrel carburetors is more environmentally responsible than your new Tesla. My three 57+ year old GTO's with big v8's and multiple carbs as well.

Driving an EV is simply Virtue Signaling, and nothing else. It's all about feeling smug.
Have you ever seen me referring to any environmental reasons?
I used to have a F150 Supercrew FX2 V8 and my payment was $500 and gas cost me $500 per month. $1000 total per month. Furthermore, synthetic oil changes every 8k miles was also additional $. The payment on my Model Y was $700 and I had a trailer hitch and enough towing capacity to tow our trailer. Just the gas savings alone made most of my payment. I also enjoy that I don't need to go to get gas every week. I always filled up at Costco and there was always a line and a minimum up 10 mins wait to fill up but gas was 30 cents cheaper there.
So, the savings and the convenience alone made it worth it. EVs also work with our road trip style as eating on the road has always been part of our road trips.
Also, for my personal addiction to acceleration, there is no other option for an SUV that accelerates anywhere close to mine. I'm not buying cars based on other people's parameters. I don't road race, so road racing ability was not a consideration. I don't need a exotic sports car to get ***** as I got a hot wife. Looks does therefore not play a role when buying a car that does everything I need and want. A plain looking CUV is just fine for me.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 5:30pm   #243
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Panhandle. West of Tallahassee. North of I-10.
Yeah, that area is pretty country.. I drove through there on I-10 20+ times. Whole lot of nothing and trees there
Old 01-17-2024, 6:17pm   #244
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,654 Times in 3,762 Posts

Quote:
I used to have a F150 Supercrew FX2 V8 and my payment was $500 and gas cost me $500 per month. $1000 total per month. Furthermore, synthetic oil changes every 8k miles was also additional $. The payment on my Model Y was $700 and I had a trailer hitch and enough towing capacity to tow our trailer. Just the gas savings alone made most of my payment. I also enjoy that I don't need to go to get gas every week. I always filled up at Costco and there was always a line and a minimum up 10 mins wait to fill up but gas was 30 cents cheaper there.
So, the savings and the convenience alone made it worth it. EVs also work with our road trip style as eating on the road has always been part of our road trips.
Also, for my personal addiction to acceleration, there is no other option for an SUV that accelerates anywhere close to mine. I'm not buying cars based on other people's parameters. I don't road race, so road racing ability was not a consideration. I don't need a exotic sports car to get ***** as I got a hot wife. Looks does therefore not play a role when buying a car that does everything I need and want. A plain looking CUV is just fine for me.
As I said: It's all about feeling smug.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 6:28pm   #245
ricks327
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 10.4%

Quote:
Same old response, Rinse, repeat, Rinse, repeat.
ricks327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 8:38pm   #246
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
As I said: It's all about feeling smug.
It's all about someone buying what works perfectly for what they want and need.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
Old 01-18-2024, 8:38am   #247
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 41.7%

Thanked 7,060 Times in 3,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
WTF is a $500 monthly payment? Get with the program man, if you can't afford to buy it with cash, you can't afford it. This alone renders the rest of your argument invalid.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 9:00am   #248
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Yeah, that area is pretty country.. I drove through there on I-10 20+ times. Whole lot of nothing and trees there
I love it.
Old 01-18-2024, 9:02am   #249
erickpl
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.2%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $111433

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
OPEN QUESTION for our EV enthusiasts:

As your car and home chargers are currently situated, in the event of a power outage, are you set up to kill the house connection to the grid and backfeed electricity from your EV's? I know it's possible, I think Ford advertises this capability with their electric F-150's, but are you, with your current set up, as is, able to do that?
Our Kia EV6 can feed power back to the house, but we are not set up to have it power the whole thing. We lost power last summer for about 5 hours, so we tried it out by plugging in the fridges and freezers, along with the TV, network router, and some fans. Over the course of that time, the impact on the car's battery was a 1% hit. Our (my wife's) new EV cannot do this, unfortunately. But we still have our gas generator we bought after the 2011 tornado outbreak in Alabama.

The home charger (Level 2) doesn't play into that at all. It is purely the power stored in the car's battery.

Not all cars can do it. Kia/Hyundai/Genesis models can. Ford Lightning can. I'm honestly not sure what other ones can. It is handy though!
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 9:48am   #250
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 43.5%

Thanked 7,745 Times in 3,448 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
OPEN QUESTION for our EV enthusiasts:

As your car and home chargers are currently situated, in the event of a power outage, are you set up to kill the house connection to the grid and backfeed electricity from your EV's? I know it's possible, I think Ford advertises this capability with their electric F-150's, but are you, with your current set up, as is, able to do that?
When I see this I have to ask... why? Why would anybody do this?

Generators big enough to power essential home items are not expensive (or big). I live in a place where we have power outages occasionally. I have a small generator that can be fired up in about 2 minutes that keeps the basics running. If I need more power in an extended situation I have a larger one that can be added in relatively easily.

It is a fairly interesting feature, but if I'm in a situation where I don't have power, especially if it is unknown or it may be out for a decent amount of time, the last thing I want to do is sacrifice my mobility to save the gallon of milk in the fridge.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:18am   #251
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
WTF is a $500 monthly payment? Get with the program man, if you can't afford to buy it with cash, you can't afford it. This alone renders the rest of your argument invalid.
Buying with cash is stupid if you can get a low interest rate as anybody with a decent knowledge of investing money can get a much better return than the cost of the loan. My truck was financed at 1.99% interest. Shoot me in the head if I would have used cash. My cash is invested in things that get me 10 to 35% annual return on investment.
I would never keep any larger amounts of cash in my account with virtually no interest. I have about $2m in assets of which all are income producing.
Paying cash is for either stupid rich ($10m net worth or more) or people who have no idea how to get a decent amount of return on investment. If I can get under 4% rate, it is a no brainer to finance. I have a 850 credit score, so I get the best rate.
I can't imagine having like $50k sitting in my checking with virtually no interest.
There will never ever be more than $15k in my checking with virtually no interest.
You need to let money work for you.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:21am   #252
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
I love it.
I like nice and quiet myself. Bought a nice property on a big lot in a rural area in 2008. Now, developers are buying up all the agricultural land and are building subdivisions.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:26am   #253
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,654 Times in 3,762 Posts

Quote:
It's all about someone buying what works perfectly for what they want and need.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase.
If you keep telling us that, perhaps eventually you'll believe it yourself. Please carry on.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 11:27am   #254
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
If you keep telling us that, perhaps eventually you'll believe it yourself. Please carry on.
Sure, I went from one EV to another to another because they don't work for me

While I certainly will own a classic or exotic gas car again, I will never ever have a gas powered daily driver again.
Old 01-18-2024, 11:34am   #255
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 33.5%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,396 Times in 1,860 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
Our Kia EV6 can feed power back to the house, but we are not set up to have it power the whole thing. We lost power last summer for about 5 hours, so we tried it out by plugging in the fridges and freezers, along with the TV, network router, and some fans. Over the course of that time, the impact on the car's battery was a 1% hit. Our (my wife's) new EV cannot do this, unfortunately. But we still have our gas generator we bought after the 2011 tornado outbreak in Alabama.

The home charger (Level 2) doesn't play into that at all. It is purely the power stored in the car's battery.

Not all cars can do it. Kia/Hyundai/Genesis models can. Ford Lightning can. I'm honestly not sure what other ones can. It is handy though!
Woopie-do, we live in the cold north, for some reason most of our power outs happen in the worst part of the winter. We can be out for days and on occasion if a big ice storm weeks. That puny little car,truck type power supply would not last long here. Add to that no way to charge your ride back up.

Yes we have a whole house generator system and a nice big tank of propane!

Your quote "Over the course of that time, the impact on the car's battery was a 1% hit" seems real low Fridges and freezers can draw a lot of power and then there is the big start up hit that uses a much higher short time use of power.

EVs definitely not ready for prime time at least in my part of the country!
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 12:20pm   #256
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
When I see this I have to ask... why? Why would anybody do this?

Generators big enough to power essential home items are not expensive (or big). I live in a place where we have power outages occasionally. I have a small generator that can be fired up in about 2 minutes that keeps the basics running. If I need more power in an extended situation I have a larger one that can be added in relatively easily.

It is a fairly interesting feature, but if I'm in a situation where I don't have power, especially if it is unknown or it may be out for a decent amount of time, the last thing I want to do is sacrifice my mobility to save the gallon of milk in the fridge.
A whole house generator is about 10 grand installed.
The difference in cost between an ICE and EV F150 as example is a lot more than 10K.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:22pm   #257
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
A whole house generator is about 10 grand installed.
The difference in cost between an ICE and EV F150 as example is a lot more than 10K.
The F150 Lightning starts at $49990, $42490 after tax credit.. I don't think that a gas F150 Supercrew is much cheaper than that but what do I know..

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing
Old 01-18-2024, 12:27pm   #258
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Buying with cash is stupid if you can get a low interest rate as anybody with a decent knowledge of investing money can get a much better return than the cost of the loan. My truck was financed at 1.99% interest. Shoot me in the head if I would have used cash. My cash is invested in things that get me 10 to 35% annual return on investment.
I would never keep any larger amounts of cash in my account with virtually no interest. I have about $2m in assets of which all are income producing.
Paying cash is for either stupid rich ($10m net worth or more) or people who have no idea how to get a decent amount of return on investment. If I can get under 4% rate, it is a no brainer to finance. I have a 850 credit score, so I get the best rate.
I can't imagine having like $50k sitting in my checking with virtually no interest.
There will never ever be more than $15k in my checking with virtually no interest.
You need to let money work for you.
I've advised you to get your joke detector re-calibrated in the past. Now I believe that thing is beyond repair. Invest in a new one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 12:30pm   #259
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I've advised you to get your joke detector re-calibrated in the past. Now I believe that thing is beyond repair. Invest in a new one.
Maybe you should check how most wealthy people made their money. They let their money work for them. I have no words for people who aren't stupid rich that let larger amounts of money rot in their checking account at low or now interest.. It's mind boggling... To each their own.
Old 01-18-2024, 12:32pm   #260
Mick
A Real Barner

Quote:
Maybe you should check how most wealthy people made their money. They let their money work for them. I have no words for people who aren't stupid rich that let larger amounts of money rot in their checking account at low or now interest.. It's mind boggling... To each their own.
Yup, broken beyond the possibility of repair.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic