Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-17-2020, 9:19pm   #21
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 13.3%

Thanked 21,884 Times in 8,903 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
I frequent 2 different indoor and 1 outdoor range and can tell you that in my area the average range attendee is highly unlikely to fully understand the manual of arms for their weapon, never mind putting rounds center mass on a B-27 at 20 feet. They shoot up the side walls, the floor and the ceiling baffles pretty good though.
I'm happy to say the shooters at my gun club are very proficient with their firearms.

When we first opened up our ranges to the local police, the day after was "fix the target stands" as they had difficulty keeping it on paper. Luckily the donated range time has improved their skills.
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 9:19pm   #22
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.7%

Thanked 3,847 Times in 2,216 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I’m not even talking about law enforcement or former military. I’m talking about keyboard commandos who talk a big game but at the end of the day, are pretty much cowards and run from bullets, not towards them.
So far I am one of the keyboard commandos as I have no military or law enforcement experience; however I do practice, and I hope I have the balls to run toward the bullets.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 9:30pm   #23
Lipstic
Barn Stall Owner #0380
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,801 Times in 529 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2005155

Quote:
Do you new guys always have to trivialize the discussion or engage in grade school grabass every post? What could be an enlightening adult discussion seems to somehow get degraded to swapping personal insults and scatalogical humor. It both grates on my nerves, and is boring as hell. We are (mostly) adults here; please grow the **** up.

Oh hunny I’m used to it...I’m not insulted. I grew up with 2 older brothers and a slew of male cousins.
Lipstic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lipstic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 9:32pm   #24
Lipstic
Barn Stall Owner #0380

Default Interesting facts on gun control

Quote:
I’m not totally convinced that today’s sheeple would take to arms even if an invasion happened right under their noses. I get that Americans own guns, but judging from what I’ve seen, many of them couldn’t or wouldn’t shoot their way out of a paper sack.

Come to the South East and Texas, the good ole boys I know in Alabama and Tennessee would have no problem...a lot of their women will join in too
Old 01-17-2020, 9:38pm   #25
Nox
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,676 Times in 634 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $7601

Quote:
So far I am one of the keyboard commandos as I have no military or law enforcement experience; however I do practice, and I hope I have the balls to run toward the bullets.
Only one way to find out... all of your perfect target scores go out the window when you are being fired upon. Every target shooter I know tells me they shoot better than all their LEO and former military friends. The true test is how well you shoot when taking fire, not when taking carefully aimed shots at a paper target. No matter what anyone tells you about how they practice with moving and reactive targets, and that they do “realistic” training scenarios, the major issue with training is that in training, one “always know” they are going to have to engage targets so they mentally prepare for it. One time, I was thinking about going to Hawaii and pretty much mentally checked out.. In my mind, I was on a white sand beach and suddenly, without any warning, I am taking fire... That’s when you find out how good you are.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 9:38pm   #26
markids77
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipstic View Post
Oh hunny I’m used to it...I’m not insulted. I grew up with 2 older brothers and a slew of male cousins.
That's cool but look what happened when no one else got cute with the responses... there is dialog and an exchange of ideas from several participants
who actually have insights they wish to share. Once the thread gets sidetracked with inane BS the fun stops because people cease to share.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:39pm   #27
markids77
A Real Barner

Quote:
Only one way to find out... all of your perfect target scores go out the window when you are being fired upon. Every target shooter I know tells me they shoot better than all their LEO and former military friends. The true test is how well you shoot when taking fire, not when taking carefully aimed shots at a paper target. No matter what anyone tells you about how they practice with moving and reactive targets, and that they do “realistic” training scenarios, the major issue with training is that in training, one “always know” they are going to have to engage targets so they mentally prepare for it. One time, I was thinking about going to Hawaii and pretty much mentally checked out.. In my mind, I was on a white sand beach and suddenly, without any warning, I am taking fire... That’s when you find out how good you are.
Agreed.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:40pm   #28
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Come to the South East and Texas, the good ole boys I know in Alabama and Tennessee would have no problem...a lot of their women will join in too
It’s funny.. I spend a lot of my time in the South.. Even though I am from the West Coast, I am usually the only one packing in our group outings.. go figure.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:43pm   #29
Lipstic
Barn Stall Owner #0380

Quote:
An invading army will go for the population centers first and round up all the sheeple. There is no tactical advantage to securing sparsely populated rural areas. I don’t doubt your love of freedom and country, but it’s not relevant if an invading army bypasses you.

I’m sure there are a lot of non gun owners in the large cities...most likely many who have never shot a gun.

I grew up in farm country in central Alabama...I was 5 when I received my first BB gun (supervised when shooting of course) by seven I was shooting a 22 rifle. My family learned to respect guns from a young age.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lipstic For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 9:45pm   #30
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
True back in those days, but the next war will not be fought that way.

The first shot in the next war will be your computer going dark.
Electronic and cyber warfare as well as air superiority are critical components in any first strike scenario, however, sooner or later, you have to own the real estate. There is no escaping boots on the ground, even in the 21st century.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 9:46pm   #31
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
I’m sure there are a lot of non gun owners in the large cities...most likely many who have never shot a gun.

I grew up in farm country in central Alabama...I was 5 when I received my first BB gun (supervised when shooting of course) by seven I was shooting a 22 rifle. My family learned to respect guns from a young age.
Who said anything about a large city? I spend my free time with friends in the back woods of North Carolina, where dirt roads, banjos and rusting stills rule the day.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:49pm   #32
markids77
A Real Barner

Quote:
Who said anything about a large city? I spend my free time with friends in the back woods of North Carolina, where dirt roads, banjos and rusting stills rule the day.
If your still is rusty you ain't a true good ole boy... the best shine is distilled in pure copper!
The Following User Says Thank You to markids77 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 9:50pm   #33
Lipstic
Barn Stall Owner #0380

Quote:

In the mountains of East Tennessee there are tons of deer, bear, coon hunting still going on.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:51pm   #34
Lipstic
Barn Stall Owner #0380

Quote:

What part of NC? We are 18 miles from NC line.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:54pm   #35
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
If your still is rusty you ain't a true good ole boy... the best shine is distilled in pure copper!
Truth be told, the G-Men blew them up way back when. The land’s been handed down several generations. They just never got around to picking up the pieces... There may be some copper in there, but it’s hard to tell, allI see are scraps of metal and I was told that’s just what’s left.
Old 01-17-2020, 9:55pm   #36
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
What part of NC? We are 18 miles from NC line.
Off the Blue Ridge Parkway, near the Pisgah National Forest.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 9:58pm   #37
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 13.3%

Thanked 21,884 Times in 8,903 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5976008

Quote:
Not the same as live rounds coming at yourself but we had low light shoots at my gun club. ( done one night with the least amount of moon light during the month)

While you had your back to the target area, your "friends" set up three "no shoot" target and three "shoot" targets. They would be anywhere from 2 yards to 15 yards out and possibly with overlap.

There was a large sheet of cardboard that blocked your view when you turned around. The cardboard was pulled when the timer "beeped" and your friends would be yelling and making other noises while you put two shots into each "shoot" target and NOT shooting at the "no shoot" targets.

There was big difference in just the yelling while you shot at night versus daytime target shooting. I can only imagine the adrenaline dump when someone literally has you in their sights. That's when "us rookies" hope the trigger time we have invested keeps our aim true.
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2020, 10:05pm   #38
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 9.4%

Thanked 8,398 Times in 4,251 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Quote:
An invading army will go for the population centers first and round up all the sheeple. There is no tactical advantage to securing sparsely populated rural areas. I don’t doubt your love of freedom and country, but it’s not relevant if an invading army bypasses you.
Everyone talking about individuals taking on a sorted army. Think Red Dawn. You have no ****ing clue and join a ragtag group living in the woods. Unless you are in a practicing militia, all this guff is nonsense.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 10:07pm   #39
markids77
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by VatorMan View Post
Everyone talking about individuals taking on a sorted army. Think Red Dawn. You have no ****ing clue and join a ragtag group living in the woods. Unless you are in a practicing militia, all this guff is nonsense.
Swamp Fox shoot and run away.
Swamp Fox live to fight another day.
Sniper, Mother****er!
Old 01-17-2020, 10:09pm   #40
Nox
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
Not the same as live rounds coming at yourself but we had low light shoots at my gun club. ( done one night with the least amount of moon light during the month)

While you had your back to the target area, your "friends" set up three "no shoot" target and three "shoot" targets. They would be anywhere from 2 yards to 15 yards out and possibly with overlap.

There was a large sheet of cardboard that blocked your view when you turned around. The cardboard was pulled when the timer "beeped" and your friends would be yelling and making other noises while you put two shots into each "shoot" target and NOT shooting at the "no shoot" targets.

There was big difference in just the yelling while you shot at night versus daytime target shooting. I can only imagine the adrenaline dump when someone literally has you in their sights. That's when "us rookies" hope the trigger time we have invested keeps our aim true.
Good training, but maybe you missed my point. You are there for the purpose of training, so no matter how difficult you make it on yourself, at the end of the day, you are there to engage. If you really want to make it realistic set up your training scenarios, but go home without firing a single shot. Keep repeating these “non-shooting” exercises, until the student gets bored and tired of being mentally prepared. About the 15th time you hold a training session, “BAM” without warning go hot. See how well you engage then. That’s what real life is like. No one can stay in condition orange and red all the time. Sooner or later you have to go back to white.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic