Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-19-2015, 12:12pm   #41
five-oh
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,028 Times in 386 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $429031

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4fan View Post
If I remember correctly,,,the vert ZR1 is one of 2 created by a father/son (or husband/wife). They used base verts and turned them into ZR1s thru body kits/motor/suspension replacements. I don't remember much about them but I do know they didn't start life as a ZR1.
The 'vert ZR1 there was sharp looking....wish I could've gotten closer and looked, but Corvette Nation had set up and appeared they were going to be a while, so I moved on. And I can't believe it, but my two favorite cars in the show I didn't get a pic of. One was a '57 that had been highly modified (LS3, 6 speed) but looked pretty stock and one was a bone stock all original '65, complete with "patina'd" paint.
five-oh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to five-oh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 7:10pm   #42
five-oh
A Real Barner

Lesson learned.....alignments that are perfect for a weekend autocross apparently are not perfect for someone who drives as much as I do.
My car had a lot of camber, I believe...appeared to be set up that way for autocross. I don't know, since I have never autocrossed, but the P.O. had said that it was set up for that specific purpose..
I replaced the rear tires, and figured I'd replace the fronts soon since they were getting thin. Sure enough, I notice they are wearing bad on the inside. Ordered new tires, and headed off to my friendly local alignment shop. Surprise #1- they have filled in the pit that they've used for years and have replaced it with a new lift. And, since my car is low, there's no way for them to get it on the rack.
No problem, I'll find someone else. Nope. Not in 50 miles....until today. I finally found an old school guy who still has the pit. Unfortunately it'll be nearly 3 weeks before he can do it, because he's that booked up. Oh well. In 3 weeks I'll put less than 1000 miles on it, so it shouldn't jack my tires up too bad. As much as I love it, I kinda wish the P.O. had left the ride height stock...
On the bright side, the wife didn't squeal too loudly with anger when the new tires came off the UPS truck.
BTW, it pays to befriend/bad influence the UPS guy. Since he drooled over my '96 until he went and bought his own the other day, he has called with lots of C4 questions. In return for my friendship and knowledge- he calls when he has parts for me. Today's call went like this- " Hey, Bob, I got tires on the truck for ya. Do I need to meet you up town so the wife don't see 'em?" He's gonna be a great friend I'm thinking......
Old 04-27-2015, 8:18pm   #43
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Barn Stall Owner #49
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 3,972 Times in 2,074 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025197

Quote:
Originally Posted by five-oh View Post
Lesson learned.....alignments that are perfect for a weekend autocross apparently are not perfect for someone who drives as much as I do.
My car had a lot of camber, I believe...appeared to be set up that way for autocross. I don't know, since I have never autocrossed, but the P.O. had said that it was set up for that specific purpose..
I replaced the rear tires, and figured I'd replace the fronts soon since they were getting thin. Sure enough, I notice they are wearing bad on the inside. Ordered new tires, and headed off to my friendly local alignment shop. Surprise #1- they have filled in the pit that they've used for years and have replaced it with a new lift. And, since my car is low, there's no way for them to get it on the rack.
No problem, I'll find someone else. Nope. Not in 50 miles....until today. I finally found an old school guy who still has the pit. Unfortunately it'll be nearly 3 weeks before he can do it, because he's that booked up. Oh well. In 3 weeks I'll put less than 1000 miles on it, so it shouldn't jack my tires up too bad. As much as I love it, I kinda wish the P.O. had left the ride height stock...
On the bright side, the wife didn't squeal too loudly with anger when the new tires came off the UPS truck.
BTW, it pays to befriend/bad influence the UPS guy. Since he drooled over my '96 until he went and bought his own the other day, he has called with lots of C4 questions. In return for my friendship and knowledge- he calls when he has parts for me. Today's call went like this- " Hey, Bob, I got tires on the truck for ya. Do I need to meet you up town so the wife don't see 'em?" He's gonna be a great friend I'm thinking......
Funny how relationships spring from common interests... Hope
you guys are still friends when your UPS guy has to get a second job to keep
his new C4 running....
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 8:40pm   #44
five-oh
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 View Post
Funny how relationships spring from common interests... Hope
you guys are still friends when your UPS guy has to get a second job to keep
his new C4 running....
He's already started...the car he bought has the infamous a/c distribution problem. He's got it at a local guy's shop having it fixed now. I warned him. Told him that a C4 is a jealous beast that will NOT be satisfied until it has all your attention, time, and money. And it is a cruel mistress that makes you love it in spite of its issues- kinda like that extremely hot girl that has multiple personality disorder. You know it's gonna end with you hurt and broke, but you can't help but go with it anyway.
Did he listen? No. The sirens got another one...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to five-oh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 8:52pm   #45
DukeAllen
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.5%

Thanked 9,186 Times in 4,944 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10001598

Quote:
He's already started...the car he bought has the infamous a/c distribution problem. He's got it at a local guy's shop having it fixed now. I warned him. Told him that a C4 is a jealous beast that will NOT be satisfied until it has all your attention, time, and money. And it is a cruel mistress that makes you love it in spite of its issues- kinda like that extremely hot girl that has multiple personality disorder. You know it's gonna end with you hurt and broke, but you can't help but go with it anyway.
Hate to admit it, but

You nailed C4 ownership in one paragraph. Every time mine gives me trouble I cuss and swear this is the last time, it's going on CL. And as soon as it's fixed I'm in love and can't wait to hop in and go.
DukeAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DukeAllen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 10:53pm   #46
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84
Barn Stall Owner #49
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 3,972 Times in 2,074 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025197

Quote:

You've described all our C4 adventures very well......
SQUIRMIN VERMIN 84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 6:56am   #47
Black95
Barn Stall Owner #204
Activity: 1.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $403724

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeAllen View Post
Hate to admit it, but

You nailed C4 ownership in one paragraph. Every time mine gives me trouble I cuss and swear this is the last time, it's going on CL. And as soon as it's fixed I'm in love and can't wait to hop in and go.
I must be on a lucky streak. In the last three years, the only problem I've had with mine is a bad fuel pump!
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 8:41am   #48
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black'95 View Post
I must be on a lucky streak. In the last three years, the only problem I've had with mine is a bad fuel pump!
or you made a pact with Satan!
Old 04-28-2015, 7:48pm   #49
C4fan
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,418 Times in 706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $882805

Quote:
Hey Bobby, next time this happens try stacking 2 x 6's (or 12's) on the floor. Even the lowest car should be able to drive up on a 1 1/2" board. It only take 2 or 3 boards to get the car high enough to get the lift under it.
C4fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C4fan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2015, 9:27pm   #50
five-oh
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4fan View Post
Hey Bobby, next time this happens try stacking 2 x 6's (or 12's) on the floor. Even the lowest car should be able to drive up on a 1 1/2" board. It only take 2 or 3 boards to get the car high enough to get the lift under it.
We've thought of that. But most of the alignment shops around hear have some type of jack on the lifts that stick up around 4 inches after you get it on the rack. My car is lower than that. I think a couple of the shops could've made it work but didn't want to because they'd have had to take off the jacks.
I don't know- I just know that 1) I don't want the underside of my car ripped to heck by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and 2) it's all good now that I've found the guy with the pit.
Old 04-28-2015, 9:56pm   #51
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.9%

Thanked 5,730 Times in 2,714 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

Quote:
We've thought of that. But most of the alignment shops around hear have some type of jack on the lifts that stick up around 4 inches after you get it on the rack. My car is lower than that. I think a couple of the shops could've made it work but didn't want to because they'd have had to take off the jacks.
I don't know- I just know that 1) I don't want the underside of my car ripped to heck by someone who doesn't know what they are doing and 2) it's all good now that I've found the guy with the pit.
Don't worry, if the poke a hole in the floor Hokie knows how to fix it. For those that were around, I found the thread where I ruined Corvettes for Hokie, take a read;

87 l98 Will not crank over - Corvette Forum

I was such a stinker.........................
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2015, 6:42am   #52
Black95
Barn Stall Owner #204
Activity: 1.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $403724

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
Don't worry, if the poke a hole in the floor Hokie knows how to fix it. For those that were around, I found the thread where I ruined Corvettes for Hokie, take a read;

Thanks! As I joined much later and noticed references to "Hokie" in numerous threads, I was never quite sure what was going on. Now I understand much better!
Black95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 6:45am   #53
five-oh
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taurus View Post

Hokie was an idiot. He deserved every bit of abuse the posse heaped on him. I came in too late to join in...
Old 04-29-2015, 3:02pm   #54
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Quote:
Hokie was an idiot. He deserved every bit of abuse the posse heaped on him. I came in too late to join in...
I came in near the end. I always wanted to see his '83
Old 04-29-2015, 9:30pm   #55
Taurus
A Real Barner

Lest you think he only pizzed off the CF crowd, check out this one from SmokinVette. He's trying to convince everyone he has a stock 409 in his vette.

87 corvette 409 stock engine ? [Archive] - SmokinVette.com Forums
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2015, 12:07pm   #56
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

It's feeling like old times in here! TMT, I found your baby pic

Old 04-30-2015, 9:04pm   #57
Taurus
A Real Barner

No, I be stylin..................

Old 04-30-2015, 9:24pm   #58
DukeAllen
A Real Barner

Ahhh those awkward teen years
Old 05-04-2015, 6:57am   #59
five-oh
A Real Barner

Y'all ain't right.
My UPS guy called last night and wanted me to come drive his new purchase "to makes sure it drives right". Got my mind blown. I pull up- '96 Collector's Edition drop top, 47k miles on it. Looked showroom new. Probably the closest thing to a new C4 I've ever saw and definitely the nicest I've ever drove. If it was just an LT4 car, it'd be perfect.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to five-oh For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion