Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2018, 11:33am   #21
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 133,700, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 49,745
Thanks: 9,504
Thanked 11,680 Times in 6,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11
Default

I have an Honorable Discharge from USAFR in 1987.

Am I authorized to wear the Ruptured Duck pin?
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 11:35am   #22
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 133,700, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 49,745
Thanks: 9,504
Thanked 11,680 Times in 6,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11
Default

I zoomed way in on the OP pic and yes, that's a Ruptured Duck pin.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:18pm   #23
Norm
Barn Stall Owner #1776
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Points: 47,469, Level: 100
Activity: 44.9%
 
Norm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Delmarva
Posts: 10,286
Thanks: 3,178
Thanked 7,647 Times in 2,568 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2002001362
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
I have an Honorable Discharge from USAFR in 1987.

Am I authorized to wear the Ruptured Duck pin?
I suppose you can if you want, I don't think there are regulations that wearing it would violate, just don't walk into a VFW, AL, DAV, VVA post, you may get some incoming.

It's a WWII specific item. My Dad wore a Ruptured Duck patch on his uniform, but I think it was for only a period allowed after the war was over.
__________________
CnC JCS USA USN USMC USCG USAF USAR USNR USMCR USCGR USAFR ARNG ANG USPHS NOAA USMM AUS CSA Police/Fire/EMS/EMT
Thank You For Your Service
The ultimate participation ribbon

Norm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:54pm   #24
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 133,700, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 49,745
Thanks: 9,504
Thanked 11,680 Times in 6,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11
Default

Oh heck no way would I ever wear that.

I was just curious if it applied to me.

Reason being- according to your link it's not WWII specific.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 06:09pm   #25
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 130,037, Level: 100
Activity: 81.2%
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 54,930
Thanks: 9,805
Thanked 19,791 Times in 10,516 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $42006812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defib1961 View Post
Just got these in. Just when I donít think I can feel more proud of my father, I. Receive these. This represents a time in his life that he just never spoke of.

Attachment 21591
top right, black and red, is the WWII Army Occupation medal
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2018, 06:17pm   #26
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 133,700, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 49,745
Thanks: 9,504
Thanked 11,680 Times in 6,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
top right, black and red, is the WWII Army Occupation medal
Try Navy.

He was USMC.





Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:02pm   #27
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 130,037, Level: 100
Activity: 81.2%
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 54,930
Thanks: 9,805
Thanked 19,791 Times in 10,516 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $42006812
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
Try Navy.

He was USMC.





https://www.usamilitarymedals.com/pr...cupation-medal
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:20am   #28
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 133,700, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 49,745
Thanks: 9,504
Thanked 11,680 Times in 6,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11
Default

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy..._Service_Medal




Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:24am   #29
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 133,700, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 49,745
Thanks: 9,504
Thanked 11,680 Times in 6,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11
Default

@DAB, you need a new pair of glasses.


Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:22am   #30
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS Ď18
Points: 44,134, Level: 100
Activity: 45.8%
 
VITE1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Port Saint Lucie FL
Posts: 30,685
Thanks: 14,974
Thanked 8,014 Times in 4,237 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1081623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defib1961 View Post
Dad was wounded by Japanese artillery on the third day of the battle on Peleliu. Before that day he was on Guadalcanal and
Cape Gloucester. After he recovered he served in the European theatre and was in the Queen Mary (It has been commissioned) when the Japanese surrendered.

His brother was the one that told me about him being wounded. The third day of
The Peleliu battle, a Japanese artillery shell exploded over him and he was hit in the ankle. He told his brother, ďSomething just told me to move ahead a little bit. I crawled forward just about one body length when the shell exploded.Ē If he has not moved forward the one body length, he would have been hit in the head.
My father was Weapons Company, 1st Bat, 5th Marines from Guadalcanal to Peleliu. What unit was your father in? From What I can recall of his original company only 8 lasted through the 3 invasion without being killed, wounded or being transferred out due to disease. The fact your father made all three is a testament to how tough he was.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 09:19am   #31
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Points: 22,805, Level: 100
Activity: 34.8%
 
Loco Vette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Knoxville, TN
Posts: 11,780
Thanks: 7,262
Thanked 3,813 Times in 1,507 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6025223
Default

Way cool. Great man!
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loco Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2018, 05:43pm   #32
Defib1961
Barn Stall Owner #23
Barn Raising I
Points: 40,588, Level: 100
Activity: 8.5%
 
Defib1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: THE Lone Star State
Posts: 8,589
Thanks: 2,694
Thanked 4,671 Times in 1,783 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $143136
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
My father was Weapons Company, 1st Bat, 5th Marines from Guadalcanal to Peleliu. What unit was your father in? From What I can recall of his original company only 8 lasted through the 3 invasion without being killed, wounded or being transferred out due to disease. The fact your father made all three is a testament to how tough he was.
I know Dad was with the 1st Marines but I am unsure of the battalion. I am checking with my sister as she has all the info with her.

I have read and am still reading as many books as I can about the battles these men were in. "Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific", "Voices of the Pacific: Untold Stories from the Marine Heroes of World War II", "Red Blood, Black Sand: Fighting Alongside John Basilone from Boot Camp to Iwo Jima" are the latest.

After reading these, it makes me ashamed to complain about ANYTHING that happens in my life now. We complain about long lines at the grocery store, traffic jams, rude people or even a perceived bad meal. At least when we do that we have clean socks, clean clothes, we have the ability to shower every day, and we do have HOT food. Those men would have considered all those things a luxury. Kind of puts things into perspective.
Defib1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 06:05pm   #33
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 133,700, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 49,745
Thanks: 9,504
Thanked 11,680 Times in 6,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defib1961 View Post
I know Dad was with the 1st Marines but I am unsure of the battalion. I am checking with my sister as she has all the info with her.

I have read and am still reading as many books as I can about the battles these men were in. "Islands of the Damned: A Marine at War in the Pacific", "Voices of the Pacific: Untold Stories from the Marine Heroes of World War II", "Red Blood, Black Sand: Fighting Alongside John Basilone from Boot Camp to Iwo Jima" are the latest.

After reading these, it makes me ashamed to complain about ANYTHING that happens in my life now. We complain about long lines at the grocery store, traffic jams, rude people or even a perceived bad meal. At least when we do that we have clean socks, clean clothes, we have the ability to shower every day, and we do have HOT food. Those men would have considered all those things a luxury. Kind of puts things into perspective.
I have an actual battle map that was used on Iwo Jima. It has mud and what looks looks like blood stains. Pencil lines indicating dates and times of the campaign.

I framed it with UV blocking glass and acid free paper. It's on a wall in my office.

I put it there to remind me that no matter how bad my life seems, my problems pale in comparison to what people like your Dad had to go through on those hellholes.

Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 01-01-2019, 03:08pm   #34
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15
Points: 23,285, Level: 100
Activity: 0%
 
PortDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Gloucester Va
Posts: 4,616
Thanks: 1,106
Thanked 1,494 Times in 701 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $78
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
I have an actual battle map that was used on Iwo Jima. It has mud and what looks looks like blood stains. Pencil lines indicating dates and times of the campaign.

I framed it with UV blocking glass and acid free paper. It's on a wall in my office.

I put it there to remind me that no matter how bad my life seems, my problems pale in comparison to what people like your Dad had to go through on those hellholes.

I have a few of my fathers WWII bombing maps from his flights over Europe. He was a B-17 Navigator. I also have his leather jacket, "crush" hat and timing watch.
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PortDawg For This Useful Post:
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page