Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2023, 1:43pm   #41
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 52.9%

Thanked 23,946 Times in 9,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

So what exactly was the issue with battery you installed, non agm?
Does it have start/stop bullshit on it as heard its almost a requirement for agm if has that on most vehicles.
New cars suck... Give me AC and disc brakes and I'll drive a 50s instead.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 1:49pm   #42
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,543 Times in 2,656 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
Does it have start/stop bullshit on it as heard its almost a requirement for agm if has that on most vehicles.

Same size and specs as the Porsche "rated" battery. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...?q=94rh7&pos=2

Only issue was that the steering angle sensor would not initialize.

"Rated" was the term that the dealer tech used. My guess, a chip sold by Porsche to battery makers to make more profit....
Yadkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 1:53pm   #43
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

I took the O's battery back and explained their error. They gave me cash, including the $22 core charge and tax, and promised to contact corporate so it doesn't happen to some other bloke.

Great company- always has been
Old 03-11-2023, 2:29pm   #44
Vette40th
A Real Barner
Activity: 17.6%

Thanked 1,564 Times in 816 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
For real perspective, come to SE FL, we have Porsche and Audi dealerships with eight-story storage / parking garages, they sell like 100 cars / day.
Their service lounges have baristas and a bakery shop.

https://hedrickbrothers.com/portfoli...ury-pre-owned/
They need it. Its part of being a Porsche owner.. Image, Prestige..
And lets be honest, most Porsches have low miles, hence low repairs.
And their customer service is the best, period.
2005 Era Carerra GTs camshafts being replaced for free due to pitting.
991 era GT3s had a cylinder issue. All were replaced with new warranties, at Porsches expense. Even if you didnt have the problem.
Vette40th is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vette40th For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 2:33pm   #45
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,761 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
German cars had proprietary IT stuff going on when I worked on them over 25 years ago. Its like there was a time delay fuse in every one. At about 85,000 miles, they systematically start to fall apart. Starting with the electrical system, and then oiling and cooling. Pretty much every German car made after 1970 has this mantra if water cooled. I remember 30 years ago installing two radiator hoses on a VW Vanagon. the parts cost THEN was $215. Older German cars and motorcycles that are air cooled will run virtually forever with normal maintenance and overhauls. They aren't disposable appliances like all their latest stuff.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 2:40pm   #46
MadInNc
Barn Stall Owner #103
Activity: 25.2%

Thanked 31,447 Times in 10,902 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108939

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Same size and specs as the Porsche "rated" battery. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c...?q=94rh7&pos=2

Only issue was that the steering angle sensor would not initialize.

"Rated" was the term that the dealer tech used. My guess, a chip sold by Porsche to battery makers to make more profit....
With wife's Jaquar, when I change battery, the shop connects another power source in parallel to keep all "electronics" sane which does not require a login etc...

Did ya do same for yours with the "O" battery?
MadInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MadInNc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 2:59pm   #47
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
German cars had proprietary IT stuff going on when I worked on them over 25 years ago. Its like there was a time delay fuse in every one. At about 85,000 miles, they systematically start to fall apart. Starting with the electrical system, and then oiling and cooling. Pretty much every German car made after 1970 has this mantra if water cooled. I remember 30 years ago installing two radiator hoses on a VW Vanagon. the parts cost THEN was $215. Older German cars and motorcycles that are air cooled will run virtually forever with normal maintenance and overhauls. They aren't disposable appliances like all their latest stuff.
Back in the late 70's I knew a guy who owned a BMW. He had to replace some small part, it may have been a EGR valve or something. He had to buy this huge assembly, and the cost was several times higher than I would have expected.

I haven't experienced that at all in my Porsche. I just purchased the rubber components for my rear sway bar. All four can be purchased separately. Rock Auto had the links for $32 each. I had to buy the Bushings at an online dealer, and they were $12 each.

When I rebuild the suspension I can buy all the parts separately or as kits for each wheel. I expect to do that at about 100k miles like I did on my daughter's S197 Mustang, twice. That car is approaching 200k miles and I expect the engine (made in Cologne, Germany) to last 350k or so.

You got this thing about the air cooled Porsches that is clouding your judgement. Water cooled allows tighter tolerances and thus better longevity. Modern engines have better control of temperatures and generally run higher oil pressure than back in the day. Oils are better, more consistency and in many cases lower viscosity, therefore higher rates of flow and heat dissipation.

The Pentastar Engine in my Jeep had the exhaust manifold cast into the head, and the manifold water cooled. That heats up the coolant much faster and as you know, most engine wear occurs during cold starts. Mine was running perfectly when I sold it after 175k miles.

The Audi engine in My Porsche is similar- cast-in-head and water cooled exhaust manifold. So of course I expect the same benefit.
Old 03-11-2023, 3:02pm   #48
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadInNc View Post
With wife's Jaquar, when I change battery, the shop connects another power source in parallel to keep all "electronics" sane which does not require a login etc...

Did ya do same for yours with the "O" battery?
No I should have. Like your Jag the battery is in the boot, "jumper" leads under the bonnet so are easy to connect a voltage to them.

I don't know if that would have helped though, being that I still would have registered the new battery.
Old 03-11-2023, 3:09pm   #49
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Quote:
Back in the late 70's I knew a guy who owned a BMW. He had to replace some small part, it may have been a EGR valve or something. He had to buy this huge assembly, and the cost was several times higher than I would have expected.

I haven't experienced that at all in my Porsche. I just purchased the rubber components for my rear sway bar. All four can be purchased separately. Rock Auto had the links for $32 each. I had to buy the Bushings at an online dealer, and they were $12 each.

When I rebuild the suspension I can buy all the parts separately or as kits for each wheel. I expect to do that at about 100k miles like I did on my daughter's S197 Mustang, twice. That car is approaching 200k miles and I expect the engine (made in Cologne, Germany) to last 350k or so.

You got this thing about the air cooled Porsches that is clouding your judgement. Water cooled allows tighter tolerances and thus better longevity. Modern engines have better control of temperatures and generally run higher oil pressure than back in the day. Oils are better, more consistency and in many cases lower viscosity, therefore higher rates of flow and heat dissipation.

The Pentastar Engine in my Jeep had the exhaust manifold cast into the head, and the manifold water cooled. That heats up the coolant much faster and as you know, most engine wear occurs during cold starts. Mine was running perfectly when I sold it after 175k miles.

The Audi engine in My Porsche is similar- cast-in-head and water cooled exhaust manifold. So of course I expect the same benefit.
You are 100% correct. The air cooled stuff IS crude and loose-tolerance. But it is repairable/rebuildable over and over again. Not a disposable, one-use appliance like the new water cooled stuff they make. The new cars are good, but are appliances that become fiscally unreasonable to keep running after a certain mileage mark. With most German cars, that is at 80 to 100k miles. Those who want a newer car that is reliable beyond 100k miles will be well served to buy Japanese or certain domestic products. Your Ford Ranger, and every Ford Ranger, is superior long-term reliability and use to any German car. In fact, you should take IT cross country. Leave the Porsche at home.
Old 03-11-2023, 3:22pm   #50
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,566 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

European cars are JUNK, especially the Kraut ones.......

NEVER buy a product from ANY nation in Europe.....lord knows China and Japan are bad enough......

and modern cars have WAY too mutch in he way of electronic OVER engineering.....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 3:32pm   #51
Murray
A Real Barner
Activity: 16.2%

Thanked 11,273 Times in 4,009 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $29012

Quote:
No I should have. Like your Jag the battery is in the boot, "jumper" leads under the bonnet so are easy to connect a voltage to them.

I don't know if that would have helped though, being that I still would have registered the new battery.
When my buddy replaces our batteries, he hooks up something under the dash to maintain memory settings for everything
Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Murray For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 3:52pm   #52
Vette40th
A Real Barner
Activity: 17.6%

Thanked 1,564 Times in 816 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3694

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray View Post
When my buddy replaces our batteries, he hooks up something under the dash to maintain memory settings for everything
I was wondering why you could not do this to maintain the computer settings etc. Most computers have a CMOS type system to keep it remembering things.
Why couldnt a car do the same.
Vette40th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 4:09pm   #53
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

These 'keep alive' battery assisters are 9 volt batteries with a connector that plugs into the cigar lighter or nowadays, 'usb port'.

Mainly to keep the monitors set and the parameters of the computer saved so it doesn't have to re-learn the drive strategy.

The Germans wanted to do proprietary ADAS stuff as well, but the industry would not let them. Automatic Driver Assistance System. These are the prescription windshields, camera rear view mirrors, camera lights and sensors, etc., all of which cost thousands and thousands of dollars and must be calibrated to provide the correct information. All a bunch of hogwash to de-sensitize the new driver and to decrease the amount of control and independence he has over his vehicle, with 100% automation the ultimate goal as we lose more and more freedoms.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 4:50pm   #54
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
You are 100% correct. The air cooled stuff IS crude and loose-tolerance. But it is repairable/rebuildable over and over again. Not a disposable, one-use appliance like the new water cooled stuff they make. The new cars are good, but are appliances that become fiscally unreasonable to keep running after a certain mileage mark. With most German cars, that is at 80 to 100k miles. Those who want a newer car that is reliable beyond 100k miles will be well served to buy Japanese or certain domestic products. Your Ford Ranger, and every Ford Ranger, is superior long-term reliability and use to any German car. In fact, you should take IT cross country. Leave the Porsche at home.
Quote:
....The cast iron engine block is rebuildable, solutions for fixing common problems are already found and replacement parts are not very expensive. Pour the high-quality engine oil, feed with minimum 95 RON gasoline, follow the maintenance schedule precisely and the engine will last for about 150-200k miles (250,000-300,000 km). The engine longevity doesn't drop down after Stage 1 (ECU remapping) ...
https://www.motorreviewer.com/engine.php?engine_id=119
Old 03-11-2023, 5:16pm   #55
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,194 Times in 4,609 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette40th View Post
They need it. Its part of being a Porsche owner.. Image, Prestige..
And lets be honest, most Porsches have low miles, hence low repairs.
And their customer service is the best, period.
2005 Era Carerra GTs camshafts being replaced for free due to pitting.
991 era GT3s had a cylinder issue. All were replaced with new warranties, at Porsches expense. Even if you didnt have the problem.
I like 911s, great cars.
I only take issues with 911 owners who bash vetted.
Then again, same amount of vette owners bash 911s.
Drove a 911 at Xtreme Xperience at PBIR, car was perfect and very durable, as they were running it about 40 miles each hour for 9+ hours, for two days.
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 5:34pm   #56
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Hell, I'm so far out of this equation that I've been looking at '36 and '39-'40 Ford coupes lately. Haven't decided if it has to be a flathead, but am leaning that way. If not, maybe a nailhead Buick or Olds transplant, 50's-era correct. No automatic transmissions, no disc brakes, none of that nonsense. But multiple carbs and a Columbia 2 speed rear end, hell yes. I'm looking at spending more $$$ on an 85 year old POS than a new car would cost, simply because the new cars bore me to death.
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2023, 9:39pm   #57
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.3%

Thanked 1,863 Times in 723 Posts

Quote:
The hood is good and bad in that respect. I haven't had an accident since I was a kid (knock on wood).

The BMW was a pain in the ass. Change out a crank position sensor? Set up an 8-foot folding table to put all the stuff that you have to remove to get to it. And the buried plastic parts break 1/2 the time when you disassemble without some high cost special tool designed for that job only.

Want to change the oil earlier than their 15k mile schedule? Go right ahead, but you won't be able to reset the computer to recognize that.
My Autel scanner easily resets the service reminder on my 2016 X3.
jw38 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2023, 11:06pm   #58
higgyburners
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.1%

Thanked 2,566 Times in 1,313 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1027436

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
My post was not a narative.
BTW- have you ever taken a long trip on a motorcycle? What's your longest one day mileage on a motorcycle?
I did Eugene to Sacramento and it was a bitch in my early 20's on a 1993 Suzuki Katana 600...worst part was my knees being 6'3

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	77265
higgyburners is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to higgyburners For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2023, 7:35am   #59
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Your writing skills, or lack thereof, puts your IQ well below average. Maybe you hit your head on too many low branches...

Old 03-12-2023, 7:44am   #60
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,452 Times in 10,611 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giraffe (He/Him) View Post
You know what pisses me off? About three years ago I went out for a ride. I wasn't going anywhere in particular just getting out of the house. 700 miles later I returned home.

Are you familiar with the Iron Butt Association? One of their ride lists is 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours. I was EASILY under the 24 hour limit and only needed 300 more miles to reach that goal.

I could have gotten that certificate and bragging rights had I signed up and documented that day. But it was just a Saturday ride. Nothing was planned.
I used to do over 100 miles nearly every sunday when I rode. We had a small group and it was a great time.

We did 1,600 miles in 4 days from the FL panhandle to the Smokies. 500 miles each day up and back, and 300 miles each day in the mountains. A memorable trip.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic