Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2015, 6:15pm   #1
yedister
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $530
Default Hammerhead 12 Bolt Center Section

Having my Hammerhead 12 Bolt Center Section installed in my 1986 Corvette Dana 36. I got it from the Street Shop in Athens, AL . It can handle 1000 horsepower with no problem, It requires a Dana 44 Batwing. It's being done at Heisler Automotive in Hamilton, New Jersey is doing install.

Street Shop Inc. Offering Custom Built Replacement Chassis For Your Corvette | Home
You have to call and speak to Tray, it’s not listed on the website
HammerHead 12 Bolt based Aluminum Differential Housing
C4 Corvette Flange Pattern
5.5 Wide Pattern Mount with Four 0.56 Thru Hole; 2.527” Bearing OD, 2.570” Seal OD; Bright Silver Nitro –Plated In/Out
Build HammerHead 12 Bolt Rear Differential Assembly to Include:
New Eaton 30 Spline Positraction Unit
3.73:1 Gear. Bearing kit, Seals, and Pinion Yoke
Billet Chromoly Axle Stub for 10.7W HammerHead 30 Spline Long Side to 1350 Flange
1350 U-joint Flange, 4 Bolt for 10.7 Hammerhead
Billet Pinion Spacer for C4 Torque Arm

yedister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 4:07am   #2
84TwinTurbo
Vette Barn nOOb

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $525

Hello yedister, impressive center section you got there! This is my first day in the Vette Barn. I am planning on doing a full upgrade of the driveline as well. Still not made up my mind but I was very excited to find a piece like the Hammerhead. Are you using the stock 44 batwing? What kind of half shafts are you using? Anyway I have a ton of questions and can't wait to see the build progressing. My car is an 84 twin turbo 427 4l80e Gear Vendors hope to go 250 plus some day - but not with the stock drivetrain. Regards Rob
84TwinTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 3:52am   #3
84TwinTurbo
Vette Barn nOOb

Any update?
Old 08-17-2015, 5:56pm   #4
yedister
Vette Barn nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84TwinTurbo View Post
Hello yedister, impressive center section you got there! This is my first day in the Vette Barn. I am planning on doing a full upgrade of the driveline as well. Still not made up my mind but I was very excited to find a piece like the Hammerhead. Are you using the stock 44 batwing? What kind of half shafts are you using? Anyway I have a ton of questions and can't wait to see the build progressing. My car is an 84 twin turbo 427 4l80e Gear Vendors hope to go 250 plus some day - but not with the stock drivetrain. Regards Rob
No update yet, my mechanic is waiting for the power steering rack to arrive. Then he will put the car on the lift and do the install. Using the stock half shaft for now. I have a racing 700R4 with a gear vendor. The batwing is stock. My current setup is 434 with 15 degree heads. I am collecting parts for a 454 small block turbo build. I have the all the part for the long block except the valve train and cam. Next purchase will be the turbos. Would love to hear about your set.
Old 08-28-2015, 7:36pm   #5
yedister
Vette Barn nOOb

Default Update on install

The spacer had to be cut into 2 because it was too tall to fit in the C-beam on one side. Half on top and bottom was what is needed to center the Hammerhead for driveshaft alignment

Old 08-30-2015, 7:15pm   #6
yedister
Vette Barn nOOb

Missed adding this picture, This is the final C-Beam attachment

Driveshaft is going to be steel with 1350 U-Joint, the stock half shaft to spindle/knuckle, camber brackets, lower arms are suppose to fit/align correctly with the stock components. That's how the Street Shop made it. The Street Shop uses the same set up on their C4 chassis that they sell. Since my car has a Gear Vendor already the C-Beam had to be modified differently.
Old 08-31-2015, 9:19am   #7
84TwinTurbo
Vette Barn nOOb

Good to see u making progress with the build! Sorry for not providing any info on my car yet but have been travelling a lot for work lately. First question I have is why you selected the Hammerhead instead of the Dana 44. Are you drag racing the car? If so, I would advise some kind of a pinion snubber to prevent the diff from rotating upward on hard launches. I took the flexible C-beam out of the equation - installed a cross member for the trans and a cross member for the diff. I have a full roll cage and last mod I need to do is tie-ing the center of the diff cross member to the roll cage to make it even stiffer. These mods are a lot of work all together but depends on how you plan to use your car - if you really need them.
Also, now you're at it - are you really going to use the stock aluminum half shafts?I have seen some nasty breakages even with low powered engines. Does not seem to match the bullet proof center section. Is the Hammerhead same width as the Dana, I mean will the stock length half shafts drop right in without changing the suspension geometry? Good luck and I will be checking the progress.
Old 08-31-2015, 9:33am   #8
84TwinTurbo
Vette Barn nOOb

Some pics of my car...
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG0169.jpg  

IMAG0167.jpg  

IMAG0394.jpg  

IMAG0386.jpg  

IMAG0527.jpg  

Old 08-31-2015, 7:41pm   #9
yedister
Vette Barn nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84TwinTurbo View Post
Good to see u making progress with the build! Sorry for not providing any info on my car yet but have been travelling a lot for work lately. First question I have is why you selected the Hammerhead instead of the Dana 44. Are you drag racing the car? If so, I would advise some kind of a pinion snubber to prevent the diff from rotating upward on hard launches. I took the flexible C-beam out of the equation - installed a cross member for the trans and a cross member for the diff. I have a full roll cage and last mod I need to do is tie-ing the center of the diff cross member to the roll cage to make it even stiffer. These mods are a lot of work all together but depends on how you plan to use your car - if you really need them.
Also, now you're at it - are you really going to use the stock aluminum half shafts?I have seen some nasty breakages even with low powered engines. Does not seem to match the bullet proof center section. Is the Hammerhead same width as the Dana, I mean will the stock length half shafts drop right in without changing the suspension geometry? Good luck and I will be checking the progress.
Drag racing is not my primary goal. I am more into top end and hugging the curves on certain roads. I went with the Hammerhead instead of Dana 44 because there has been numerous post on Corvetteforum.com about it breaking. Not just on launches. The stock half shaft is suppose to align/keep the stock suspension geometry. The Hammerhead I have is rated up to 1400 HP, they have different ones that is rated for more. It also bolted up to the stock batwing. I'm not sure whether or not the drive shaft length has to be changed.
That's a sweet car you have. I would like to know more about your setup, especially the inter-coolers and the path to the intake.
For answers to your question on drag racing search here
Drag Racing - Corvette Forum
Grumpys Performance Garage
Old 09-01-2015, 10:17am   #10
84TwinTurbo
Vette Barn nOOb

The coolers you see in the back are actually not the intercoolers but the radiators. I ran out of space in the engine bay, my intercooler is from Corky Bell about 5 " thick - a massive piece. I could not find a technically acceptable solution that would allow for sufficient radiator performance and not blocking airflow to the intercooler plus picking up radiant heat from the radiator - there will allways be heat transfer to the intercooler when you sandwich them. Only solution I found acceptable was relocating the radiator to the rear and it works flawless. Due to the pipes running front to rear I have about 8 gallons of cooling fluid that acts like a heat sink. It also helps not dumping 1/3 of 1000 HP of heat under the hood - instead it leaves the car at the very end. The air ducts in the rear fender work very well, was a lot of work. I mainly drive high speed autobahn in Germany. Next project is a flat underside plus diffussor which should create even more vacuum to further enhance cooling. So far I could not get the engine temperature in the critical range no matter how hard I tries. Cheers

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion