Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2009, 7:19pm   #21
lutzdog
Charter Member
Barn Raising II
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $595211

Thank you for your responce. I will change the tires in the front to reflect 255/40/17 size on the front (with the 275/40/17;s on the rear assuming this will be enough of a size difference?...correct want to be sure before i buy 2 tires).

Once that is done we will see if it engages the trac system anymore. That being said ,i have gone thru the entire harness and cleaned all grounds and checked the pigtails from the wss's and verified the same voltage reading. But to be on the safe side i will add those 4 pigtail harness's to my list of stuff to be replaced.

i will look up the locations of the other two modules and test them as well the one thing i am quite not understanding is the C1281 Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction code related to the throttle sensor and possibly the tac? I am just learning and reading everything that i can but i have trouble following the schematics just trying to see how those systems interact. Also to make sure when u r saying reduced power u r refferring to the trac system engaging.
lutzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 7:47pm   #22
nedih rotaredom
Charter Member
Sophisticated PITA CM

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $837

Well I have run 275/40/18 on all 4 in the 00'...............no issue.
Ran 275/35/18 on all 4 in the 97' at VIR.............2 days up to 170mph+ no issues.............EACH car can be different on this issue.
You can also clear the codes while driving via the dic. I drove the 97' to race day 450+ miles and back with a bad BCM.........97's are not reprogramable and I couldn't get one in time
nedih rotaredom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 8:00pm   #23
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 1,610 Times in 761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $173

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzdog View Post
Thank you for your responce. I will change the tires in the front to reflect 255/40/17 size on the front (with the 275/40/17;s on the rear assuming this will be enough of a size difference?...correct want to be sure before i buy 2 tires).

Once that is done we will see if it engages the trac system anymore. That being said ,i have gone thru the entire harness and cleaned all grounds and checked the pigtails from the wss's and verified the same voltage reading. But to be on the safe side i will add those 4 pigtail harness's to my list of stuff to be replaced.

i will look up the locations of the other two modules and test them as well the one thing i am quite not understanding is the C1281 Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction code related to the throttle sensor and possibly the tac? I am just learning and reading everything that i can but i have trouble following the schematics just trying to see how those systems interact. Also to make sure when u r saying reduced power u r refferring to the trac system engaging.
Phil,

I'll help you with the schematics. I'm good at those. We'll get this thing fixed..

Jim
We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.( T.Roosevelt)
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 4:41am   #24
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,237 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzdog View Post
one thing i am quite not understanding is the C1281 Steering Sensor Uncorrelated Malfunction code related to the throttle sensor and possibly the tac?
You and Bill are describing two different codes, this is why the confusion.

Pay attention to the prefix of the code if it happens again, as there is both a P1281 (PCM code - accelerator pedal position sensor), and a C1281 (TCS code - steering position sensor).

A P1281 could help trigger Reduced Engine Power mode, but will not by itself - it takes two or more APP codes to set REP mode.
A C1281 is not a PCM code, and can not in any way trigger REP mode..

All codes will have a H (history), and/or a C (current) suffix.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 4:27am   #25
pops98
Barn Stall Owner #50

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $149318

Lutzdog where are you located? I have my original wagon wheels that I want to keep, but if you are close, you can borrow them to see if that solves your problem. Heck the tread is not so good, but you should get a good test out of them.
Let me know.

After reading this thread, I am amazed by all the knowledgable people who visit this forum. I send a great big thanks to all posters for this information.
pops98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 7:31am   #26
lutzdog
Charter Member
Barn Raising II

I live in Gloucester Va 23061. I would really appreciate it. U can call me at 804-695-6373.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:07am   #27
lutzdog
Charter Member
Barn Raising II

I put the tires on this past weekend and did some pursuit driving reminesant of some other times and only had it activate when it slipped. I will over the course of the week drive it normally on a road trip and see what happens if that is the case my wife is not going to like the answer.

Thank you for letting me borrow them. I will try to keep some tread on them lol.
Old 04-06-2010, 5:50pm   #28
pops98
Barn Stall Owner #50

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $149318

Great, sounds like you proved what the other smart people diagnosed. Did you get the TPS to train?
I would never have guessed the tire stagger. Have fun and if you have any tread left, it will be a bonus, Heck with the amount of tread on the tires, they kinda looked like slicks anyway.
pops98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 4:10pm   #29
cscokd
Vette Barn nOOb

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $505
Default Helpful Tip for those experiencing TCS issues

I've experienced many TCS related issues on my 98 C5 over the years. Bill Curlee is 100% correct on the female connector problems. 90% of the wss problems are these connectors.

But did you know that while driving and suddenly experiencing the Reduced Power symptom and TCS, ABS disabled, etc. Don't pull over and re-start your engine to clear these codes. If it was a spurious event, just turn you ignition key to the start position momentarily while driving. Your starter will not engage however the error condition will be cleared and diagnostic mode entered. If your condition was a one time event you will be good to go again. I've had to use this method many times on the track and it has saved my bacon most times.
cscokd
cscokd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cscokd For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion