Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2024, 6:06pm   #1
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 52.9%

Thanked 23,946 Times in 9,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482
Default Tale of woe, perhaps people should listen to their Dr

Story is about a fella I met today on the coast of Virginia.
Now all or most of us are hard headed and have the doctors smoctors attitude and go only when absolutely have to.

This guy is not much older than me, told me he was disabled before I went there so make sure bring help for loading.

Well we pull up and he's in a powered wheelchair. Left leg gone and right leg has the distinctive rot of a diabetic who didn't listen to his doctor.
I immediately didn't care why we were there and we sat and talked for about an hr.
He was upset and I hope i gave him at least a few minutes of hope sharing his pains.

He broke his right ankle a couple weeks ago and it was almost beside his foot still. How he could live with that pain is beyond me as it was horribly disfigured.
The leg comes off soon unfortunately and he probably won't live 6 months.
I had told him about my wife's uncle who didn't listen nor change his diet and ended up with 2 black legs and died young.

This guy today was then very upset(ok i may have screwed up) as he said he didn't listen either and it cost him the other leg already. He completely ignored his diabetes.
He had stepped on a nail and didn't feel it and foot became horribly infected. Of course he didn't goto dr when should have for that either.

He died several times at hospital and was revived. He said the only reason he let them take the leg was because he had his 1st grandchild 2 weeks prior.

He said he wished he would have died as the pain was bad. The infections he has had have ruined his kidneys which are now about non functional and he's been turned down for transplant due to leg and diabetes.
He said his sugar was over 1200 at one point.

He's so far away from me I'll never see him again but I may use Facebook to check in with him. A lifelong car guy/racer who was ashamed of being in a chair and asked to not judge him for it as just a few years ago he was healthy as a horse. I assured him there was no judgement as we all get old it doesn't diminish what we have done in life one bit.

I felt bad having to leave so quickly (5 hr return trip) without talking with him more.

I have met/known more than a couple of people who have ignored their doctors about diabetes. It hasn't ended well for any of them.
I'm pretty sure I want my legs and like my kidneys.
So if any of you have it and ignore it.. Don't as it will kill you amd painfully.
Rodnok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rodnok1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2024, 6:45pm   #2
lrobe22
A Real Barner
Activity: 8.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Thanks for the PSA but I've stuck to a solid lifestyle thanks to VB. I now eat only the finest foods at every hotmeal recharge stop 3x/day and do olympic type workouts by lifting a 1 lb plastic chainsaw (don't want to lift the super heavy 3 pound chainsaw and overtrain myself). I also do a "farm strong" mountain climbing because of the running boards on my 2wd mini truck (the floor height was 18" and I don't want to overtrain).

lrobe22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lrobe22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 10:31am   #3
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,621 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodnok1 View Post
He broke his right ankle a couple weeks ago and it was almost beside his foot still. How he could live with that pain is beyond me as it was horribly disfigured.
HIs diabetes has probably caused significant neuropathy, he likely has little or no sensation below his knees.
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 1:59pm   #4
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 56.5%

Thanked 3,590 Times in 1,603 Posts

Terrible, tragic story. When I lost most of my vision (both eyes) after cataract surgery I went through a very dark time. Spent 3 weeks face down 2 weeks for one eye and 1 week for the other until my retinas re-attached. 24/7 face down with a 10 minute break each hour. My wife was a damn trooper through the ordeal.

I now have 20/40 (on a good day) in one eye and I'm getting along but have had to give up a lot of things I enjoyed - like long drives in my old Corvettes, but hey, that's life.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2024, 6:28pm   #5
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,566 Times in 5,704 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

SHIT!!! listening to you guys makes me feel lucky, with my shitty skeleton.....oh well......hopefully they will not be doing any more knife attacks....

AND BEST of luck to you all there.......
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 9:14am   #6
MikeB
Barn Stall Owner #115
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 4,974 Times in 2,247 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $610854

Deleted.
My thoughts are too depressing.
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 1:37pm   #7
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 12,540 Times in 5,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

I have known way to many people who have ignored basic medical issues and needs and died because of it. To me it's amazing that they will not listen.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 1:43pm   #8
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,654 Times in 3,762 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Terrible, tragic story. When I lost most of my vision (both eyes) after cataract surgery I went through a very dark time. Spent 3 weeks face down 2 weeks for one eye and 1 week for the other until my retinas re-attached. 24/7 face down with a 10 minute break each hour. My wife was a damn trooper through the ordeal.

I now have 20/40 (on a good day) in one eye and I'm getting along but have had to give up a lot of things I enjoyed - like long drives in my old Corvettes, but hey, that's life.
That sucked badly. And basically got you out of the old car hobby. Glad you're still here with us, though!!
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 11:48pm   #9
Bluescorvette
Vette Barn Regular
Activity: 0.4%

A friend of mine was the same way about Doctors, my nephew lives next door to him and saw him out one day a couple of weeks ago. Nephew goes over to talk and notices his speech is a little off. He mentions it to my buddy and he says yeah I think I might have had a small stroke. Nephew says he needs to Go to the Hospital. He doesn't listen. Next day My nephew sees him and notices his hand is drawn up and his face looks disfigured. He says Go to hospital, buddy doesn't listen. The next day he falls at home and knocks his wife down she calls ambulance he goes to hospital they give him blood thinners for stroke he has a massive heart attack and has no brain activity. they remove him from life support a couple days later. Hard headed didn't turn out too good for him. He was a car guy Big time, probably had forty decent muscle cars.

Bluescorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2024, 12:12pm   #10
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 70.5%

Thanked 25,788 Times in 10,045 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post

Now you're a perfect candidate to be a baseball umpire.
Anjdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic