Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-24-2024, 1:22pm   #1
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 42,450 Times in 17,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default Burnin', burnin', litho inferno: Sand Diego Battery Farm STILL on fire

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog...last_week.html

Quote:
May 24, 2024
SD firefighters fly in fire experts to tackle lithium battery fire still blazing from last week
By Olivia Murray

On Wednesday, May 15th, Gateway Energy Storage Facility erupted into flames—it’s a San Diego battery storage in a border community—and firefighters contained the blaze before handing operations off to the facility’s own team. But by the very next day, the fire reignited and it’s been going ever since. We’re now on day nine, by the way.

Now, according to San Diego journalist Amy Reichert, the San Diego fire department has elected to fly in fire experts to “study” the fire because they have no idea how to manage the blaze, estimating that it may take another week or week-and-a-half to get the fire back under control—meanwhile, poisonous fumes from burning lithium batteries continue to spew into the air.

Here’s what Reichert said of the latest developments and the resources already consumed to attempt to manage the flames:

Now, back in 2012, a massive hotel in the Jantzen Beach area along the Columbia River burnt to the ground in a 5-alarm fire—at the time I worked in downtown Portland, and driving home at around three in the morning, you could see a blazing orange light in the sky, dominating the urban light pollution, all from miles away. This property “spanned nearly 250,000 square feet” and after starting in the wee hours of a Sunday morning, was basically under control by 7 a.m. and mostly out by 12:30 Sunday afternoon, with firefighters hitting “hot spots” for another 24(ish) hours. When it was all said and done, the fire used a little more than one million gallons of water, with fire inspector Ron Rouse saying this:

‘We had to call the Water Bureau to make sure we weren’t depleting the city of all its water,’ he said.

In contrast, the entire Gateway facility property is reportedly around 80,000 square feet, but the blaze is reportedly only in one building, which can only mean we’re talking about a fraction of the referenced hotel.

I bring this up for a quick comparison—the much smaller facility is still blazing…after nine days…and has, as of yesterday, already consumed more than five million gallons of water! In a state that has water resource issues, basically all the time. And, apparently that’s just 25% of what the estimated total water usage will be.

An unmitigated disaster, and a vision of what’s to come in this “green” new world order— as Reichert also said, Democrats (and Republicans allies) already have plans in the works to bring more battery storage facilities to at least eleven more neighborhoods in the San Diego area.

for @Aerovette to provide the lyrics......
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 1:41pm   #2
BRUIZER
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.9%

Thanked 1,534 Times in 667 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

"meanwhile, poisonous fumes from burning lithium batteries continue to spew into the air."

Awwww yes...CA returning to days of old.
You can't have straws nor headers, but releasing TONS of toxins into the air is "progress".
Residing in these communist run states will get you killed, imprisoned or seriously maimed.
They have all become the laughing stock of the US.
BRUIZER is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRUIZER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 1:58pm   #3
AUTOHOLIC
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 4.5%

Regarding the water usage in bothe cases there was a huge river and an ocean nearby that they could have pumped water from to fight these fires. Does anyone use any common sense anymore?
1965 Rally red/black leather coupe with stealth 383 appears like a factory 365 h.p. engine
1966 Nassau blue/blue L72 convertible
1972 El Camino SS Silver/black
2011 Polaris RZR 900
AUTOHOLIC is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AUTOHOLIC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 2:18pm   #4
BRUIZER
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTOHOLIC View Post
Regarding the water usage in bothe cases there was a huge river and an ocean nearby that they could have pumped water from to fight these fires. Does anyone use any common sense anymore?
Enviro-nutjobs fought the Carlsbad water desalination plant for over a decade. Only to come to the conclusion the retuning water transported back to the ocean actually benefited sea life.

They could've built these plants up and down the coast and have an abundance of potable water. Instead, they're funding and building MASSIVE apartment type developments to house the low-income ie illegals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRUIZER For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 2:29pm   #5
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 42,450 Times in 17,689 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUIZER View Post
Enviro-nutjobs fought the Carlsbad water desalination plant for over a decade. Only to come to the conclusion the retuning water transported back to the ocean actually benefited sea life.

They could've built these plants up and down the coast and have an abundance of potable water. Instead, they're funding and building MASSIVE apartment type developments to house the low-income ie illegals.
Desalinization is a very energy intensive operation, and with the sky high electric rates in California, it makes that sort of thing even that much more NOT affordable.

Of course, electricity rates here in Texas are high, too. I just signed up with a new plan for over $ .15/kWh. Under Trump, I was paying slightly over $ .10/kWh. Of course, part of the blame for the increase goes to our spineless governor and his appointees to the Public Utility Commission, who literally screwed every electricity consumer in Texas, for DECADES over the Winter Storm blackout fiasco.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 2:40pm   #6
BRUIZER
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
Desalinization is a very energy intensive operation, and with the sky high electric rates in California, it makes that sort of thing even that much more NOT affordable.

Of course, electricity rates here in Texas are high, too. I just signed up with a new plan for over $ .15/kWh. Under Trump, I was paying slightly over $ .10/kWh. Of course, part of the blame for the increase goes to our spineless governor and his appointees to the Public Utility Commission, who literally screwed every electricity consumer in Texas, for DECADES over the Winter Storm blackout fiasco.

IIRC Carlsbad desalination is unique in that it was built with an energy recovery and reuse system which reduces consumption by almost half compared to a facility of similar capacity.

Our electric rates in Gallatin County MT are currently 0.13 /kw last I check in Jan.
Reasonable considering.
Old 05-24-2024, 3:14pm   #7
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 99.1%

Thanked 34,397 Times in 13,957 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Bruce Springsteen - Fire

Batteries for your car
Or even your radio
Will need a fire hose
In case they blow
They say that we’ll like it
But I know they’re liars
Cause when they’re abused, mmmm, fire

Well late at night
Don’t park near your home
Or anywhere you stay
Jus' leave your car alone
You may not believe me
But the temps will go higher
You hear a hiss
Then fire
Fire

Don’t point the hose on me
Aim for the car
A light so bright
As it melts all apart
Fire hose pumpin
I feel like a fool
As my batteries burn
Your gas car stays cool

Should have never got it wet
Now I’ve got big fire
Oh baby you can bet
I’ll buy a gas car next time
The chassis just split
I can see inside
What a mess
Mmmmmm, fire
Fire

Burnin hot as coal
It’s outta control Fire
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 4:09pm   #8
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.4%

Thanked 2,152 Times in 831 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

My rate in Spring Branch (north of San A tonio) is $.105/kWh,. We have a cooperative, so that keeps the cost down
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jw38 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2024, 4:30pm   #9
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 12,212 Times in 4,502 Posts

Quote:
"meanwhile, poisonous fumes from burning lithium batteries continue to spew into the air."
No, no, no! Those fume are not only not toxic, they are actually "beneficial" to the atmosphere. It's "science". You wouldn't understand.
Tikiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2024, 5:19pm   #10
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 18.1%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,266 Times in 4,417 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

No one cares about Otay Mesa.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2024, 3:42pm   #11
AUTOHOLIC
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 4.5%

Quote:

My comments have nothing to do with desalination but rather sea or river water to fight these fires. They easily could install a check valve into fire hydrants to keep the water from back flowing into the city water system and have readily available endless supply of water to fight these fires.
1965 Rally red/black leather coupe with stealth 383 appears like a factory 365 h.p. engine
1966 Nassau blue/blue L72 convertible
1972 El Camino SS Silver/black
2011 Polaris RZR 900
AUTOHOLIC is online now   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic