Old 12-11-2012, 6:30pm   #81
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
If I were to have a family suddenly. Things would change and I would provide for them not have food stamps. I would go without
Ok kid, you have so much to learn. You really think the majority on food stamps want to be on food stamps?
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 6:57pm   #82
GRN ENVY
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #82
BR Car Washer II,III

NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 1,819 Times in 959 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5504001

So according to Loco vette link, the average union worker makes $29.00 an hour, you bring in benefits, and retirement etc, brings it up to $75.00 an hour, so honestly do you think that an individual whose sole purpose for 8 hours a day is to attach an emblem with double sided tape should be paid $29.00 an hour. There is no way in hell that placing an emblem is worth that much, and before you go saying that other task are harder and deserve higher pay, some should. But they need to be based on what the task is worth, not what some union representative says it worth. Compensation should be based off what the skill at hand requires.
GRN ENVY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GRN ENVY For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 7:12pm   #83
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 87.8%

Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,420 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
And you were fortunate to be born into a family that could afford to send you to school.
Bullshit.

The fact that you seem think the only way to succeed in this country is to be born wealthy is flat out f*cking ignorant.

By your way of thinking, I should be collecting a welfare check, have 6 illegitimate kids, and working for minimum wage since I wasn't born into a wealthy family.

I worked my ass off so I could put MYSELF through school. Yea, it was difficult. I worked nights and weekends, ate Ramen noodles, donated plasma for beer money, drove a piece of shit Cavalier, lived in a shithole apartment, picked up odd jobs when I could, took loans of which I paid back every dime. I didn't expect anybody to hand me anything that I didn't earn.

What I DIDN'T do was go get a bunch of girls pregnant and get myself into a situation that I couldn't handle financially.

Do you think that I am somehow a special case? I'm not. ANYBODY who works for it can put themselves through school. The problem is, thanks to those like you, people grow up with the assumption that they should have it given to them rather than working for it.

Quote:
And you were lucky to never have found yourself in that position.
He worked to never find himself in that position, just like I have and just like millions of others have. I made a decision early in life, as I was working in a machine shop with no A/C in the middle of the summer, that I didn't want to do that the rest of my life. Fortune and luck have absolutely NOTHING to do with the fact that I'm not still doing it today. Again, assuming that people can't improve their way of life through hard work is again flat out ignorant.

Quote:
People should be paid a fair livable wage for the job they do. Unions exist to make sure that happens. Pull them from the equation and its a race to the bottom.
Funny... I'm not in a union and I get compensated fairly for the job that I do. How is that possible?!?!?

You are absolutely correct. People should be paid a fair wage. They should be compensated related to the job they do. Someone who sits on a line and does work that a trained monkey could handle does NOT deserve the same compensation as the person doing more skilled labor, the design work, the corporate work, etc.

Your idea of "fair" is laughable.

It's pathetic that you think that people are incapable of succeeding in life without Robin Hoods like you looking out for them.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 7:52pm   #84
kylebuck
Barn Stall Owner #47
Barn Raising I,II
Activity: 4.0%

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,409 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1098639

Quote:
Ok kid, you have so much to learn. You really think the majority on food stamps want to be on food stamps?
If you would take your head out of your ass for a few mins to let it get some fresh air you would understand my point of view.You assume that because I am 23 years old that I have no idea how the world works. I have been blessed to whitness companies on both sides of the spectrum. You have the lowly employee who is just trying to make a living, to the higher ups who actually make decisions in regards to how a company is ran. So dont speak to me as a child because my opinon differs from yours. As far as the food stamps thing goes a lot of people are on that shit because they are stupid and dont plan ahead for anything. Pop out babies because they didnt take the time to put on a condom, or because they thought the pull out method works. These people dont need help, they need to learn that actions have consquences.
kylebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kylebuck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 7:59pm   #85
kylebuck
Barn Stall Owner #47
Barn Raising I,II
Activity: 4.0%

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,409 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1098639

Quote:
Keep abortion legal and planned parenthood funded. Another simple concept.
No simple concept you let the people who are incapable of feeding themselves starve to death.
kylebuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kylebuck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 9:08pm   #86
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebuck View Post
So dont speak to me as a child because my opinon differs from yours.
Seems to be a common theme around here recently...
Old 12-11-2012, 9:18pm   #87
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 12,526 Times in 5,847 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Quote:
So why are they still having so many? Your failure to understand that the Entitlements you support are the driver for these tools and fools having kids they can't afford is apparent.

Abortion and Planed Parenthood are not the problem. Welfare, Food stamps and Section 8 housing is. Stop feeding the Animals and they will not reproduce.

If Abortion reduces unwanted pregnancies why is the Single mother house rate growing ?

LaMarotte: Trends: Single-Parent Households with Children

As Abortion rates rose.

http://www.mccl.org/us-abortion-stats.html

Last edited by VITE1; 12-11-2012 at 9:42pm.
VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 9:27pm   #88
vetteman9368
Barn Raising III
Activity: 1.8%

Thanked 2,179 Times in 966 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1120967

Quote:
And you were fortunate to be born into a family that could afford to send you to school.

People should be paid a fair livable wage for the job they do. Unions exist to make sure that happens. Pull them from the equation and its a race to the bottom.
flipping burgers at burger king is not a "living wage" job. Its a part time job for a student, someone wanting a second job, or a retiree. A high school dropout working in a plant, slapping hubcaps on kia's doesn't provide more value to the company than the guy driving the truck that delivers the cars. One has a no skill job, with no responsibility, that could be replaced by a robot, one has a job that took some training and carries some pretty heavy responsibility.

Allow me to expand on the "being replaced by a machine" concept. I have 10 acres. the future driveway to this 10 acres is 660 ft long, and will need to be fenced down both sides. I will also be needing a tractor for the property. It will require 166 fence posts, just to do the driveway. This doesn't include fencing the rest of the property (1/2 mile of perimeter). Let's say that Manuel Labour can dig four fence post holes an hour and I can pay him minimum wage to do that (~$8/hr). It's going to cost me $332 to have Manuel dig the holes for me, and my time supervising so that its in a straight line. Now some dipshit do-gooder comes in and Manuel joins a union, and they tell me that I now have to pay Manuel $16/hr and give him benefits. Now these post holes will cost me $664 to dig. After spending a long time in deep thought (about as long as it take me to google the phone number of the tractor dealer), i buy an Auger attachment for the tractor for $600, $25 worth of diesel for the tractor i already have, and a case of beer and do it myself. Now Manuel Labor is out of a job.
vetteman9368 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vetteman9368 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 9:42pm   #89
Taurus
A Real Barner
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 5,707 Times in 2,702 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3895593

Quote:
BMW factory workers in South Carolina make about half what BMW factory workers in Germany make.

That is because the workers at BMW in Germany belong to a union.
No, it's because the economic factors are different in Germany and SC.
Taurus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 9:44pm   #90
Taurus
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRN ENVY View Post
So according to Loco vette link, the average union worker makes $29.00 an hour, you bring in benefits, and retirement etc, brings it up to $75.00 an hour, so honestly do you think that an individual whose sole purpose for 8 hours a day is to attach an emblem with double sided tape should be paid $29.00 an hour. There is no way in hell that placing an emblem is worth that much, and before you go saying that other task are harder and deserve higher pay, some should. But they need to be based on what the task is worth, not what some union representative says it worth. Compensation should be based off what the skill at hand requires.
GM line workers actually make $72 per hour, Honda and Toyota workers make between $40 and $50 and hour and are profitable, go figure.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taurus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 9:52pm   #91
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 5.2%

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,953 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

Quote:
I wasn't. I worked half days, and full time swings to put myself through school, pay a mortgage, and send my kid to private school. Was I just "fortunate" to not be born too fvcking lazy to make the effort? I don't expect you will respond.

Quote:
People should be paid a fair livable wage for the job they do. Unions exist to make sure that happens.
I agree that people should be paid a fair wage; these days, unions have nothing to do with that. And I work every day with union firms.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 9:57pm   #92
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 5.2%

Thanked 3,551 Times in 1,953 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

Quote:
If you mean terminate useless life, I might agree...but I want to limit it to those that are grown and choose to be liberals.

...I'm kidding...sort of...
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2012, 10:14pm   #93
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.4%

Thanked 41,075 Times in 17,078 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Business & Technology | BMW finds skilled workers for less at S.C. plant | Seattle Times Newspaper

The upside is you have a job, the downside is you fall out of the middle class.

And keep in mind that the ONLY reason the plants are not unionized is because they pay the workers more than they otherwise would to keep the union out. If the union disappeared tomorrow, only a fool wouldn't believe the wages at these plants wouldn't drop.

Race to the bottom!
You keep repeating the "race to the bottom mantra." You are promulgating union membership as a way for employees to earn more than the going rate for their jobs. Let's expound on that. I join a union, and make more than others who are not union are willing to do the job for. Great for me. Now, others see me living better than I would but for my union membership and they say, "hey, me too." So now, ALL occupations are unionized. Hey, I'm in the hamburger flippers union. Instead of making $ 8/hr, now I command $ 12/hr.

Do you see the problem? This is no different than those that want to increase the minimum wage. Why not make the minimum wage $ 50/hr? That way everyone who works could make a decent income. The only problem is, that $ 5 McMeal at McDonalds would now cost $ 50.

Or are you proposing a two tier society.....those who have artificially higher wages due to union membership vs. the serf class who work for what the market will bear?

Edit: The bigger picture about the RTW issue is this.....no one is taking away the rights of unions to organize, exist, or flex their muscles. What RTW does is prevent government endorsement of unions, kind of the same way government isn't supposed to favor one religion. Using government to force people to join and pay a union in order to get and keep a job isn't a level playing field. Using government to force people to pray to a certain God isn't a level playing field, either.
bill_daniels is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bill_daniels For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 12:41am   #94
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

I cannot get behind a union that pays a guy $70.00/hour for assembling automobiles. I just can't do it. That would mean my job welding pipe on a reactor head, picking up radiation in the process, should be worth $200.00/hour.

Quote:
Congrats worthless degrees. So dont get a degree that is not useful in the real world
Joey, you're wrong on this one. If I get a degree in art history, find a job I love, and pay my bills like a responsible adult, who are you to tell me my degree is worthless?
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Giraffe (He/Him) For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 12:44am   #95
Taurus
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post

Joey, you're wrong on this one. If I get a degree in art history, find a job I love, and pay my bills like a responsible adult, who are you to tell me my degree is worthless?

Very true...................
Old 12-12-2012, 1:12am   #96
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,655 Times in 11,659 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
If you don't have time to read the article, I don't have time to summarize it for you.
Buckster has seen so much of your that he, like most, knows your articles are merely propaganda based on utopian ideals, unicorn farts, and rainbows. It really is pathetic that so many have come to that conclusion about your M.O.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 7:44am   #97
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17

Thanked 6,904 Times in 2,607 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Oh, but I can back up what I said.

Nissan Workers Move to Unionize | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

Workers at Cottondale plant vote to unionize | TuscaloosaNews.com

UAW Trying to Unionize Workers at Nissan Plants in Tennessee, Mississippi - WOT on Motor Trend

UAW Refocusing its Organization Drive at German Automakers in U.S. - WOT on Motor Trend

The unions go in, and then the management has meetings with all employees against joining the union and offers deals to their workers to keep them from voting for the union.
Thanks for helping prove you're full of shit.

1) None of those article mention the BMW plant in SC under discussion
2) None of them say anything remotely like "management offers deals to workers to keep them from voting for the union". Closest they get is some UAW tool complaining that management tells the employees "scare" stories about the unions.
3) All of those are about the UAW trying to come in and organize a plant, not the workers in the plant seeking them out to represent them. Representative quotes:

Quote:
In June, the UAW succeeded in organizing the Faurecia automotive parts plant, also in Cottondale.
Quote:
Though the United Auto Workers remains committed to its goal of unionizing all foreign-owned car factories within the U.S.,
This is how they are trying to survive in a world in which unions are no longer relevant.
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 7:56am   #98
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17

Thanked 6,904 Times in 2,607 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Gee, for a guy who has seen me no more than once a year for the last 10 or so years, you sure seem to be an authority on my life. Maybe I should get you to write my autobiography.

Or not.

My grandparents were legal immigrants from Scotland, Germany, Belgium, and England.

My father LITERALLY bet the family farm on the railroad business in 1985, and the first train didn't move until 1987. In the meantime there was no source of regular income for the family.

I spent 5 summers replacing crossties by hand in southern Mississippi and Alabama. Thus developing an appreciation for staying in school and improving my lot.

Even if my family had not been able to pay for school, they did not take the MCATs or the United States Medical Licensing Exam for me, to name but two of several dozen potential tests of work tenacity that I had to pass. And just because I didn't have to pay for school, doesn't mean that no one else who was not so fortunate couldn't go. The vast majority of my medical school classmates were hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt when they graduated. But they had now acquired valuable skills that would allow them to pay it off.

Quote:
As mentioned above, I did my fair share of low skilled labor. And I don't just depend on luck, I take actions to prevent negative consequences.

Quote:
Unions exist to line their own pockets. If they were so critical to the process of ensuring "a living wage" as you put it, then more than 7% of the private labor force in this country would belong to a union.

Last edited by Loco Vette; 12-12-2012 at 10:24am.
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loco Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 8:03am   #99
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
I cannot get behind a union that pays a guy $70.00/hour for assembling automobiles. I just can't do it. That would mean my job welding pipe on a reactor head, picking up radiation in the process, should be worth $200.00/hour.

Unless you are TEACHING art history, it IS a useless degree, you MAY be using your other college courses in your employment, but there is simply NO use for a art history DEGREE in the real world.....

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2012, 8:06am   #100
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
You are free to pursue a degree in whatever you want. Obviously there is nothing at all wrong with someone who were to do exactly what you describe.

With that said, don't go get an art history degree and EXPECT that because of it you are somehow automatically entitled to a high paying job in the field of your choice or go bitching about how unfair it is that people with technical, science, and business degrees are getting hired over you. Last I checked, unless you are an art dealer, knowing the difference between Manet and Monet doesn't have much value in the job market.

Last edited by RedLS1GTO; 12-12-2012 at 8:35am.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion