Old 12-06-2010, 7:02pm   #1
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default The Obama Tax Compromise

*Breaking*

Obama: Framework for tax cut deal in place

Democrats weigh temporary cut in Social Security taxes in order to strike compromise with GOP

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40536879...-capitol_hill/

WASHINGTON — President Barack Obama ran into objections from congressional Democrats on Monday to an emerging year-end agreement with Republicans that extends income tax cuts to the wealthy as well as the middle class and grants additional relief to large estates.

Other elements of the possible agreement included a cut in workers' Social Security taxes and an extension of unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless.

Top Democrats traveled to the White House and left later without discussing the details of their discussions with Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

Several officials said there was discontent over tax cut provisions that Republicans had demanded from the president, apparently successfully.

The White House meeting occurred after Obama returned to Washington from a trip to North Carolina, where he said he and Congress must "make sure we're coming up with a solution, even if it's not 100 percent what I want or 100 percent what the Republicans want."

(Read continues in Link)

Attempting to strike a deal

GOP, Dem leaders say compromise is possible

What's in the (tentative) tax cuts deal
'Framework for a bipartisan agreement' on tax cuts

First Read - 'Framework for a bipartisan agreement' on tax cuts

Obama pushes middle class tax cuts, investment.

First Read - Obama pushes middle class tax cuts, investment

What does the apparent compromise on the Bush-era tax cuts tell us about Obama and the Democrats?

msnbc.com politics - What does the apparent compromise on the Bush-era tax cuts tell us about Obama and the Democrats?

Video inside ~ Obama: Middle class held 'hostage' by Senate's tax vote

Good Luck in 2012 (R)'s ... you've just captured 0.0000001% of the American vote ... 315,000 Millionaires & Billionaires ....

Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 7:15pm   #2
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

this isn't why I helped to elect Obama. he & the Dems need to grow a set & stop this
"reaching across the aisle" bulls1t. does anyone remember how the Bush Tax Cuts were passed? PolitiFact | Bush tax cuts were passed with reconciliation's 50 votes the Dems should use reconciliation & run this right up their azzes!
Old 12-06-2010, 7:23pm   #3
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
this isn't why I helped to elect Obama. he & the Dems need to grow a set & stop this
"reaching across the aisle" bulls1t. does anyone remember how the Bush Tax Cuts were passed? PolitiFact | Bush tax cuts were passed with reconciliation's 50 votes the Dems should use reconciliation & run this right up their azzes!
No prob ... all the 315,000 millionaires & billionaire have to do is create high-paying jobs with their tax cuts for 150,000,001 Americans to win in 2012 ... kind of like what *Read my Lips* did to win his election with the campaign strategy of *Reagavoodoo economics ain't mak'n it* ...

The Following User Says Thank You to Exotix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 8:08pm   #4
Kneel 8250
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $102780

I know I don't know a lot about American politics but don't the Democrats have a majority in both houses still???? So doesnt that make it that Democrats that are voting against your elected President??????????
Kneel 8250 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kneel 8250 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 8:09pm   #5
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Thanked 5,024 Times in 2,237 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
this isn't why I helped to elect Obama.
Because you support wildly disproportionate taxation practices?

Just because you THINK everyone richer than you deserves to get robbed, does not mean it's the role of the Gov't to carry out for you.

Hey, why not go steal a set of chrome 26" wheels off the next Escalade you see.
Use your exact same logic while removing them... "meh, they can afford to buy another set, so these deserve to be mine".

Funny how wrong that sounds when it's anything other than the fed gov't making the decision of who to take from.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 8:18pm   #6
Exotix
Banned

[/B]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel 8250 View Post
I know I don't know a lot about American politics but don't the Democrats have a majority in both houses still???? So doesnt that make it that Democrats that are voting against your elected President??????????
Supermajority
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermajority
A supermajority or a qualified majority is a requirement for a proposal to gain a specified level or type of support which exceeds a simple majority (over 50%).

In some jurisdictions, for example, parliamentary procedure requires that any action that may alter the rights of the minority has a supermajority requirement (such as a two-thirds majority).

Changes to constitutions, especially those with entrenched clauses, commonly require supermajority support in a legislature.

A supermajority is absolute if the required percentage or fraction is based on the entire membership rather than on those present and voting.

Fractional supermajorities

Three-fifths majority

In the United States Senate, a three-fifths majority is required to bring out a vote of cloture, to end a filibuster. In Rhode Island, USA a three-fifths majority of the Rhode Island General Assembly is required to overturn a veto.

Two-thirds majority

A two-thirds majority is a potentially ambiguous supermajoritarian requirement in some elections, especially if minority rights can be changed (e.g., constitutional amendments).

There are two kinds of two-thirds majority: the simple or the absolute.

An unqualified or simple two-thirds majority requires that the number of votes in favour must be at least twice the number of votes against.
Abstaining votes or neutral votes are not considered in a simple two-thirds majority.

An absolute two-thirds majority requires that at least two-thirds of the entire membership of a body vote in favor.

In parliamentary procedure where a two-thirds majority is required, rather than speaking of a two-thirds majority the unambiguous phrases such as "two thirds of those present and voting", "two thirds of those present" (which has the effect of counting abstentions as votes against the proposal), or "two thirds of the entire membership" ("two thirds of those members duly elected and sworn" in American politics) are used.

The US Mason's Manual notes, "A deliberative body cannot by its own act or rule require a two-thirds vote to take any action where the constitution or controlling authority requires only a majority vote.

To require a two-thirds vote, for example, to take any action would be to give to any number more than one-third of the members the power to defeat the action and amount to a delegation of the powers of the body to a minority."

Majority of the entire membership ~ See also: Absolute majority.

In parliamentary procedure, another type of supermajority is a majority of the entire membership that is based on the total number of voting members of the society.
It is any number more than one half of the total number of members.

To illustrate, if the society has 35 members a majority of the entire membership is more than 17.5 votes (usually 18, unless there are fractional votes).
If only 20 members attend, a motion receiving 17 votes for adoption would not meet this requirement, even if the other 3 members chose not to vote, i.e. abstained.

Some parliamentary authorities, such as Robert's Rules of Order, use a majority of the entire member as an alternate method to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted or to adopt special rules of order.

Majority of the fixed membership

A majority of the fixed membership is a supermajority that is based on the total number of the established fixed membership of the deliberative assembly.
It is used only when a specific number of seats or memberships is established in the rules governing the organization, e.g. a board of seven members.

This majority of the fixed members is set at any number greater than one half of the total possible memberships or seats.

For example, on an 8-member board, the majority of the fixed membership is 5 or more.

Most private organizations do not use this standard.
The popular parliamentary manual, Robert's Rules of Order, does not require it for any action.
It is sometimes the standard set to adopt some or all actions in state and local government legislative bodies in the United States.

However, the United Nations Security Council does require a supermajority of the fixed membership on substantive matters (procedural matters require a simple majority of those present and voting).

According to Article 27 of the United Nations Charter, at least nine of the Security Council's 15 members (i.e., a three-fifths supermajority) must vote in favor of a draft resolution in order to achieve passage.

Since it is rare for any member of the Security Council to be absent at a meeting, and because it is virtually impossible to have a vacancy in the membership of the Council given that its members are member states rather than individuals, specifying the fixed membership has the effect of making abstentions count as votes against—absences are not normal.

This is very useful for the five permanent members of the Council (to wit, the United States, the Russian Federation, the People's Republic of China, the United Kingdom, and France), because the lack of a vote in favour from any one of them constitutes a veto which cannot be overridden.

Permanent members who do not wish a measure to be passed but are unwilling to be seen to block it against the wishes of the rest of the Council tend to abstain; abstentions by veto powers are generally seen by close observers of the UN as votes against.

Around the world

The European Union Council of Ministers uses a qualified majority system for its decision-making to balance the interests of small and large member states.

The United States Senate requires a supermajority of three-fifths to move to a vote through a cloture motion, which closes debate on a bill or nomination, thus ending a filibuster by a minority of members.

In current practice, the mere threat of a filibuster prevents passing almost any measure that has less than three-fifths agreement in the Senate—60 of the 100 Senators.

The United States Constitution requires a supermajority of two-thirds of both houses of Congress to propose a Congress-driven constitutional amendment; it also requires a three-quarters supermajority of state legislatures for final adoption of any constitutional amendment, a two-thirds supermajority of both houses of Congress to pass a bill over the president's veto, a majority of the fixed membership to elect a President and Vice President (of Electors in the Electoral College, or if the election should pass to the Congress to decide, a majority of State delegations in the House to elect the President, and a majority of Senators to elect the Vice President), and a two-thirds supermajority of the Senate to ratify a treaty.

The Indian Constitution requires a supermajority of two-thirds of members present and voting in both houses of Indian Parliament, subject to at least a simple majority of Parliament members voting, to amend the constitution.
The amendment needs approval by the President.
In addition, in matters affecting the states, a two-thirds majority of the affected states need to approve the amendment.

The Clarity Act in Canada gives the Parliament of Canada the power to decide if a referendum relating to provincial secession has obtained a "clear majority", implying that some sort of supermajority is needed. If it is determined it has not obtained a supermajority, the results of the referendum will be dismissed and the province cannot declare independence legally.

Referendums on the Republic of China on Taiwan require a majority of all registered voters (not merely those voting) for passage.
Old 12-06-2010, 8:45pm   #7
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kneel 8250 View Post
Seems some of the woke up after the recent elections and the push back from the Healthcare Bill that was stuffed down our throats that the majority of Americans do not want. Those in the Senate want there jobs now more than walking the gaunlet for the President for more of what the mainstream America does not want

So anytime somethng goes against the Messiah we get a railing from his own supporters, just another promise broken by the big campaign of 08
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 9:13pm   #8
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Seems some of the woke up after the recent elections and the push back from the Healthcare Bill that was stuffed down our throats that the majority of Americans do not want. Those in the Senate want there jobs now more than walking the gaunlet for the President for more of what the mainstream America does not want

So anytime somethng goes against the Messiah we get a railing from his own supporters, just another promise broken by the big campaign of 08
What happened to your sig; Taxed Enough Already?

If you really are, go borrow some cash from your buddies; CHINA
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 9:50pm   #9
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Because you support wildly disproportionate taxation practices?

Just because you THINK everyone richer than you deserves to get robbed, does not mean it's the role of the Gov't to carry out for you.

Hey, why not go steal a set of chrome 26" wheels off the next Escalade you see.
Use your exact same logic while removing them... "meh, they can afford to buy another set, so these deserve to be mine".

Funny how wrong that sounds when it's anything other than the fed gov't making the decision of who to take from.

oh cry me a ****ing river. the Bush Tax Cuts were designed to sunset because even the Pubes knew they are unsustainable. stick your tired,worn out commiephobe bull**** up your azz.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05pm   #10
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
oh cry me a ****ing river. the Bush Tax Cuts were designed to sunset because even the Pubes knew they are unsustainable. stick your tired,worn out commiephobe bull**** up your azz.
I didn't cry about anything...but wholly sh!t, you sure did.

That's the best comeback to common sense you have?

Old 12-06-2010, 10:21pm   #11
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
I didn't cry about anything...but wholly sh!t, you sure did.

That's the best comeback to common sense you have?

"common sense?"
man up & address what I said instead of repeating your tired old ****.. these tax cuts were never meant to be permanent. admit it.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:32pm   #12
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
"common sense?"
man up & address what I said instead of repeating your tired old ****.. these tax cuts were never meant to be permanent. admit it.
Yes, common sense. YOUR taxes would have gone up too had those cuts not been extended.

You only wanted those cuts to apply to certain classes of income (including yours).

Now slowly re-read post #5 to help you understand why that's a bad idea.

Old 12-06-2010, 10:45pm   #13
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Yes, common sense. YOUR taxes would have gone up too had those cuts not been extended.

You only wanted those cuts to apply to certain classes of income (including yours).

What?

Start speaking Chinese to communicate with daddy. because that's who funding it.
The Following User Says Thank You to ChasC5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 10:50pm   #14
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Start speaking Chinese to communicate with daddy. because that's who funding it.
Yep, and does that have to do with the topic of US taxation?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:52pm   #15
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:

"common sense" is borrowing 700 billion from the Chinese to give to people who are already richer than nine feet up a bull's ass? it is already a "tax cut for all Americans." the first 250k is tax free. what part of "below 250k/yr.=no tax increase" escapes you?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:01pm   #16
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
what part of "below 250k/yr.=no tax increase" escapes you?
Uhh, you should probably go read what REALLY happened.

Hence the intended purpose of this entire thread.
Old 12-07-2010, 7:06am   #17
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 2,418 Times in 934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

Quote:
This is why you will never be taken seriously. Grow up, son.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Broken Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 8:19am   #18
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Yep, and does that have to do with the topic of US taxation?
OMG ... you really don't know?
Old 12-07-2010, 8:23am   #19
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind View Post
The POTUS; George W. Bush, implemented Tax-Cuts in both 2001 and 2003 … Schedule buy the Bush Administration to END 2010!

It is now December 7th, 2010 … can you point us to the benefit of those decade long Tax-Cuts and what evidence do you have of continued Cuts will benefit YOU Specifically?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:09am   #20
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind View Post
another non response from another neocon led through the nose by the likes of the fat junkie pig Limbaugh & the manic depressive alcoholic Beck. Imagine that.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion