Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 2:02pm   #1
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120
Activity: 27.0%

Thanked 6,084 Times in 2,567 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9282448
Default Betty Boops pulls to the right

I'm not going to post this in the CF because I would get a bunch of idiots asking, posting and repeating others.

This is the background

We I bought Betty Boop in 2004 she was pulling to the right. I got her aligned and no change.

I bought new tires, new alignment and no change.

I bought the 18" wheels with new tires, new alignment no change.

I took her to the alignment shop after the Hwy 36 road trip because I thought the 66 miles of rough road messed up the alignment. The Vette was in within the specs The tech told me it got to be tire pull but, as previously stated these are the third set of tires.

In here we have racers, mechanics, expertise etc etc.

I have not measure the suspension for symmetry, I think I'll do that soon.

What Am I looking for? Would the frame be bent? I know if I take off spinning the tires it fish-tales to the right.

Talk to me
PLRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 2:53pm   #2
socalman
Barn Stall Owner #21
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $850

A Republican with big Tits...just my kinda gal!

Sorry Pete, I'm, as usual, no help in your dilema

Nice road pics though!
socalman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to socalman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 4:17pm   #3
Vette Jockey
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $460853

Vette Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 5:05pm   #4
mike100
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2013824

maybe the caster and/or toe is goofy on the right front and it sets in spec, but arc through a different range of adjustment than the other side.

or...

does it pull when braking? try swapping brake lines from left to right.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 5:12pm   #5
WW7
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,005 Times in 537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32945423

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLRX View Post
I know if I take off spinning the tires it fish-tales to the right.

Talk to me
The above statement tells me you should be looking at the rear, not the front of the car..

Pete, if it pulls to the right when doing a burnout there is probably something out of alignment or worn in the rear causing it to pull..Could be as simple as worn out bushings in the strut rods. The rear being out can cause the car to pull just like the front being out does.Have the rear checked out for worn or bad parts........ ..WW

Last edited by WW7; 06-10-2011 at 6:34pm.
WW7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 6:08pm   #6
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,214 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4309769

Pete....

Let's look at suspension bushings first. What condition are they in and have they been replaced? Worn bushings will cause the alignment to continually shift even if it's set correctly on the rack. Check front and rear. Also differential carrier bushings should be looked at.

Next, suspension and steering components themselves. Check for inner and outer tie rod end wear, ball joint wear, rear toe link and tie rod end, and wheel bearing wear. Check for bent control arms. Is the ride height the same on both sides of the car (ie...no sagging spring)? Any unusual brake pad wear....ie....one side wearing faster than the other?

We can safely eliminate cord separation in the tires. If all of the above is good, the car needs to be put on a frame machine and verify that everything is lined up correctly....the car may have taken a hit and tweaked the frame at some point. Easily fixable by a competent shop.

There is no reason this should be happening....my '95 drives straight as an arrow, yours should too. We'll figure it out.

BTW....my 84 drove like crap when I got it. First thing I did was have it aligned at Firestone. It had so many worn bushings, they never should have tried to align it. It wouldn't hold....once I figured it all out and realized that there is nothing mysterious about a C4 suspension, I rebuilt it from the ground up with new bushings and replaced any worn components. After a second alignment at a trusted mom and pop shop, it drove perfectly straight and handled like a go kart.
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Frizlefrak For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2011, 6:45pm   #7
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
maybe the caster and/or toe is goofy on the right front and it sets in spec, but arc through a different range of adjustment than the other side.

or...

does it pull when braking? try swapping brake lines from left to right.
No, it doesnt do that. Only driving straight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WW7 View Post
The above statement tells me you should be looking at the rear, not the front of the car..

Pete, if it pulls to the right when doing a burnout there is probably something out of alignment or worn in the rear causing it to pull..Could be as simple as worn out bushings in the strut rods. The rear being out can cause the car to pull just like the front being out does.Have the rear checked out for worn or bent parts........ ..WW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizlefrak View Post
Pete....

Let's look at suspension bushings first. What condition are they in and have they been replaced? Worn bushings will cause the alignment to continually shift even if it's set correctly on the rack. Check front and rear. Also differential carrier bushings should be looked at.

Next, suspension and steering components themselves. Check for inner and outer tie rod end wear, ball joint wear, rear toe link and tie rod end, and wheel bearing wear. Check for bent control arms. Is the ride height the same on both sides of the car (ie...no sagging spring)? Any unusual brake pad wear....ie....one side wearing faster than the other?

We can safely eliminate cord separation in the tires. If all of the above is good, the car needs to be put on a frame machine and verify that everything is lined up correctly....the car may have taken a hit and tweaked the frame at some point. Easily fixable by a competent shop.

There is no reason this should be happening....my '95 drives straight as an arrow, yours should too. We'll figure it out.

BTW....my 84 drove like crap when I got it. First thing I did was have it aligned at Firestone. It had so many worn bushings, they never should have tried to align it. It wouldn't hold....once I figured it all out and realized that there is nothing mysterious about a C4 suspension, I rebuilt it from the ground up with new bushings and replaced any worn components. After a second alignment at a trusted mom and pop shop, it drove perfectly straight and handled like a go kart.
Betty Boop suspension was overhauled in 2008 and it kept doing it. The only bushings that were not replaced were the batwing ones.

Yes, the passenger side was higher and once I installed the new monospring I made it even. I thought that was the problem but, nop.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:11pm   #8
mike100
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2013824

You think you completely hogged out the C-Beam and have a dog-walking crab effect? might want to have somebody follow your car and eyeball the rear tires.

They always say that the beam plates keep the car from thrusting to the right, maybe the diff housing is mashed or c-beam holes ovaled out.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:48pm   #9
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
You think you completely hogged out the C-Beam and have a dog-walking crab effect? might want to have somebody follow your car and eyeball the rear tires.

They always say that the beam plates keep the car from thrusting to the right, maybe the diff housing is mashed or c-beam holes ovaled out.
Good start there. Thanks Mike!
Old 06-09-2011, 11:29pm   #10
Frizlefrak
Barn Stall Owner #46
Activity: 1.0%

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,214 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4309769

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLRX View Post
Good start there. Thanks Mike!
Yes.

And as Wayne said earlier too, I think you have a rear suspension issue, not a front one.

Good thing you didn't mention it when you were here....you'd have been stuck here until we fixed it.
Frizlefrak is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion