User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-16-2010, 10:42pm   #1
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154
Default Reid Pulls Controversial $1.2 Trillion Spending Bill in Favor of Short-Term Budget Fi

Reid Pulls Controversial $1.2 Trillion Spending Bill in Favor of Short-Term Budget Fix

Published December 16, 2010

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nev., pauses while speaking with the media, after their Senate Democratic caucus, Wednesday, Dec. 8, 2010, on Capitol Hill in Washington. (AP)
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, bowing to Republican opposition to a 1,924-page $1.2 trillion spending measure packed with earmarks, withdrew the bill and said he would work with Republican leaders on a smaller, short-term budget fix to avoid a looming government shutdown.

The government already is operating on a temporary stopgap measure, set to expire at the end of Friday. Republicans had insisted on having the massive spending bill read aloud – a move that would have delayed a final vote until next week.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell has offered a one-page stopgap bill that would fund the government for just the next two months. Reid said he would with McConnell to finalize such a measure.

Reid, in announcing his decision, lashed out, saying that he had the support of the nine GOP senators needed to pass the measure, but suddenly that support evaporated.

"This action taken by my friends on other side of aisle going to cause people to lose their job," Reid said.

Related Links
House GOP Pledging Weekly Spending Cut Votes -- But Is It Enough?YOU MIGHT ALSO BE
INTERESTED IN
15 Fun, Easy Ways to Wrap Gift Cards Doctors Claim HIV-Positive Man Cured by Stem Cell Transplant 2010 List of Failed Banks Fed Leaves Rates Unchanged; Says Inflation Trending Lower Iran Threat to Kill American Generals Is Real, Experts Say McConnell gave a different interpretation.

"He doesn't have the votes," McConnell said. "And the reason he doesn't have the votes is because members on this side of the aisle increasingly felt concerned about the way we do business."

A McConnell aide said the leader "worked the phones" for days, pressing his members to quash the bill. Republicans had strongly condemned the $1.27 trillion omnibus spending bill, which would fund the government through Sept. 30, for its $8.3 billion worth of earmarks -- though some of those earmarks belong to Republicans.

Defenders of earmarks point out that the money for congressional earmarks represents a tiny portion of the bill -- less than 1 percent -- and that lawmakers know the needs of their states and congressional districts better than administration bureaucrats. And just because something is in the president's budget doesn't mean that it's not pork.

"If you look up earmark in the dictionary, it means 'to designate or set aside.' It is not 'in addition to,'" said Sen. Robert Bennett, R-Utah. "If the Congress does not exercise its constitutional authority to designate where the funds will go, the administration will usurp that authority and you will get every bit as much pork barrel spending."

Such arguments, however, have been drowned out by protests from Tea Party activists and other opponents of the projects, who make fun of earmarks like $100,000 obtained by Rep. Jose Serrano, D-N.Y., to renovate the Edgar Allan Poe museum in the Bronx, a cottage where the poet lived for the final three years of his life.

Other senators with earmarks in the bill after voting last month to ban them include Lamar Alexander, R-Tenn.; Saxby Chambliss, R-Ga.; Richard Burr, R-N.C.; Kay Baily Hutchison, R-Texas; Bill Nelson, D-Fla.; and Jeff Sessions, R-Ala.

Even avid earmarker Thad Cochran of Mississippi, the top Republican on the Appropriations Committee -- who obtained almost 300 earmarks totaling more than $500 million -- hasn't explicitly come out in support of the bill, though he's widely expected to vote with Democrats later this week to advance it.

So is Ohio Republican George Voinovich, who's responsible, along with Democratic homestate colleague Sherrod Brown, for 77 earmarks totaling $94 million.

Fox News' Trish Turner and The Associated Press contributed to this report

Wow, seems that we are going to get down to the spending cuts the voters asked for during the Nov elections, time to cut spending to the levels before the libs took over congress as a starting point.
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Pan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-17-2010, 8:37am   #2
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
This action taken by my friends on other side of aisle going to cause people to lose their job," Reid said.
Harry Read may not have the Votes ... but sooner or later these people will be Voting.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 9:26am   #3
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Harry Read may not have the Votes ... but sooner or later these people will be Voting.
You are right last Nov voters voted to change direction as the 800 billion stimilus did not keep unemployement under 8% with all those shovel ready jobs
Old 12-17-2010, 10:05am   #4
Exotix
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0

Quote:
"He doesn't have the votes," McConnell said.
"And the reason he doesn't have the votes is because members on this side of the aisle increasingly felt concerned about the way we do business."
Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:12am   #5
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Seems Reid's own party had some defections, not just the party of no and the POTUS will now have to work with the other party, they are no longer in the back of the bus or are they holding Americans Hostage like the lib party did for 2 years, Americans voted in Nov to stop the change dead in it's tracks as the majority have notice the failed stimilus and the Health Care bill forced down our throats that is not what Americans asked for, yes the libs are sore losers now
Old 12-17-2010, 10:19am   #6
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Seems Reid's own party had some defections, not just the party of no and the POTUS will now have to work with the other party, they are no longer in the back of the bus or are they holding Americans Hostage like the lib party did for 2 years, Americans voted in Nov to stop the change dead in it's tracks as the majority have notice the failed stimilus and the Health Care bill forced down our throats that is not what Americans asked for, yes the libs are sore losers now
I see you've finally educated yourself on how Congressional Bill voting works especially with regards to *supermajority* and why the same 10 *bluedog* (neo-conservative democrats) are the reason for holding the Dems and therefore America hostage ...

Glad to hear you like all of this because you're taxed enough already ...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:29am   #7
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
I see you've finally educated yourself on how Congressional Bill voting works especially with regards to *supermajority* and why the same 10 *bluedog* (neo-conservative democrats) are the reason for holding the Dems and therefore America hostage ...

Glad to hear you like all of this because you're taxed enough already ...
You are correct in that I am Taxed Enough Already, time for Congress and the POTUS to spend less than the current taxes and start paying down the debt, my kids and grandchildren will pay for this, yes I will to, unless I die as soon as I become a senior, like the HC will be taking away 50 billion from seniors a year to hand out to lower income, first time congress has taken away from those that have worked there entire lives. I will continue to work hard so it should not be much of an impact for me, just those that can only afford Medicare Advantage Plans run by the evil insurance companies, yes the ones that do a better job of managing the taxpayers $$ than the Govt does, what a surprise that any for profit company can do a better job than the Govt that runs a big defict.

Seems those bluedogs you speak of have seen the writing on the wall, they went along with the POTUS and realize he has no clue in running anything other than comminuty centers and running up the largest deficts while during the 08 elections stating line by line to cut spending, he did just the opposite and Americans noticed this and voted for a change to the lies Obama has brought to us, you know the open debate of bills and no back door dealings those did not happen, oh in Chicago that is the way business is done and again Americans outside of the windy city are not to happy with this style of business.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:34am   #8
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
You are correct in that I am Taxed Enough Already, time for Congress and the POTUS to spend less than the current taxes and start paying down the debt, my kids and grandchildren will pay for this, yes I will to, unless I die as soon as I become a senior, like the HC will be taking away 50 billion from seniors a year to hand out to lower income, first time congress has taken away from those that have worked there entire lives. I will continue to work hard so it should not be much of an impact for me, just those that can only afford Medicare Advantage Plans run by the evil insurance companies, yes the ones that do a better job of managing the taxpayers $$ than the Govt does, what a surprise that any for profit company can do a better job than the Govt that runs a big defict.

Seems those bluedogs you speak of have seen the writing on the wall, they went along with the POTUS and realize he has no clue in running anything other than comminuty centers and running up the largest deficts while during the 08 elections stating line by line to cut spending, he did just the opposite and Americans noticed this and voted for a change to the lies Obama has brought to us, you know the open debate of bills and no back door dealings those did not happen, oh in Chicago that is the way business is done and again Americans outside of the windy city are not to happy with this style of business.
Believe me, research the earmarks the (R)'s and neocon dems give themselves and get back to us as to why you're Taxed Enough Already ...
Old 12-17-2010, 10:46am   #9
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
Believe me, research the earmarks the (R)'s and neocon dems give themselves and get back to us as to why you're Taxed Enough Already ...
Both parties are guilty of earmarks, even the Texas Rep Senator who had our are of San Antonio ready for a windfall of ear marks, see supported the downing of this bill as she realized the mainstream Americans are against this spending, I am one of those that think it is past time for congress to spend less than the current tax law that has been extended by a lib controlled lame duck congress. Did you notice I am on top of what the one in my state put into the bill? I am not for spending another red cent more than the current tax law as simple as that. If my income goes down I have to tighten the belt and cut spending, congress needs to do the same, when the economy improves the excess can be applied to retire the debt.

Yes I am over Taxed Already
Old 12-17-2010, 11:01am   #10
ChasC5
Banned

biggrin

Quote:
You are right last Nov voters voted to change direction as the 800 billion stimilus did not keep unemployement under 8% with all those shovel ready jobs
That works both ways, more expectations and voting to come ...

Hay Boner ... where are the Job ?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:02am   #11
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
That works both ways, more expectations and voting to come ...

Hay Boner ... where are the Job ?
To get more jobs will take both parties to work together, you seem to forgot, no you did not, but the libs still control 2/3 of law making
Old 12-17-2010, 11:04am   #12
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
To get more jobs will take both parties to work together, you seem to forgot, no you did not, but the libs still control 2/3 of law making
Wait a minute … are you saying obstructing for two years isn’t working the way you thought?
Old 12-17-2010, 11:08am   #13
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Wait a minute … are you saying obstructing for two years isn’t working the way you thought?
After being put in the back of the bus and the president call rep hostage takers obstructing will be better than socalist policies that are breaking the bank and not creating jobs, oh according to Nancy unemployed getting benefits helps the economy, where did she go to school? That is not what I learned in while in school
Old 12-17-2010, 11:15am   #14
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
After being put in the back of the bus and the president call rep hostage takers obstructing will be better than socalist policies that are breaking the bank and not creating jobs, oh according to Nancy unemployed getting benefits helps the economy, where did she go to school? That is not what I learned in while in school
So being relocated to the back of the Bus or called names makes you feel discriminated upon?

If you’re looking for empathy, sympathy or compassion, that’s a long line that career Republicans can care less about or are willing to admit even exist.

Old 12-17-2010, 12:42pm   #15
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
So being relocated to the back of the Bus or called names makes you feel discriminated upon?

If you’re looking for empathy, sympathy or compassion, that’s a long line that career Republicans can care less about or are willing to admit even exist.

Not looking for that, what I am looking for as a Taxed Enough Already American is to cut spending to less than what the current tax law brings in. The more the Govt spends the more the economy has sputtered, seems we can not get out of the funk with the stimilus that had all those shovel ready jobs, it did keep unemployment under 8% after all. The run on spending started with the libs taking over congress in 2007, largest deficts in our countries history are now the lib norm. The president is the one who has used the words that have many Americans upset, the voters showed this last Nov as the only hostage takers are terriost or criminals. If you think all Reps are criminals, what is Barney Frank the tax cheat?

The POTUS needs to be more careful in opening his mouth as I resent that I have no input in American laws for two years and being told I am a hostage taker, seems lots of Americans feel the same way
Old 12-17-2010, 12:45pm   #16
ChasC5
Banned

biggrin

Quote:
Not looking for that, what I am looking for as a Taxed Enough Already American is to cut spending to less than what the current tax law brings in. The more the Govt spends the more the economy has sputtered, seems we can not get out of the funk with the stimilus that had all those shovel ready jobs, it did keep unemployment under 8% after all. The run on spending started with the libs taking over congress in 2007, largest deficts in our countries history are now the lib norm. The president is the one who has used the words that have many Americans upset, the voters showed this last Nov as the only hostage takers are terriost or criminals. If you think all Reps are criminals, what is Barney Frank the tax cheat?

The POTUS needs to be more careful in opening his mouth as I resent that I have no input in American laws for two years and being told I am a hostage taker, seems lots of Americans feel the same way
Would 300 Million a day make a difference on your bottom line?

I bet you can’t guess where could save that much a day?

Mr. Conservative
Old 12-17-2010, 12:58pm   #17
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Would 300 Million a day make a difference on your bottom line?

I bet you can’t guess where could save that much a day?

Mr. Conservative
Your point is the cost of freedom, or terriost on our lands committing acts of war like on 9/11/01 do cost billions and we need to eliminate them on their lands so they do not do another 9/11 on America's soils, if you were referring to something else this works for my 300 Million a day. Takes years to form a stable demorcary, look at South Korea, 1953 the war fighting was over and with not until the mid 1980s that demorcary took hold (we are still there), Americans have a short memory, and those that attacked us I will never forget and we need to continue what we are doing in the middle east
Old 12-17-2010, 1:05pm   #18
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Your point is the cost of freedom, or terriost on our lands committing acts of war like on 9/11/01 do cost billions and we need to eliminate them on their lands so they do not do another 9/11 on America's soils, if you were referring to something else this works for my 300 Million a day. Takes years to form a stable demorcary, look at South Korea, 1953 the war fighting was over and with not until the mid 1980s that demorcary took hold (we are still there), Americans have a short memory, and those that attacked us I will never forget and we need to continue what we are doing in the middle east
Oh cut the standard GOP talking points crap; if they stay there for another 10 or another 1000 years, how are we safer? In a Thread on the CF/PR&C, they were crying on Defense Spending, how Obama spending went down 14%. Well who is going to pay for the cool new War toys, if we’re paying 300 M a day for Boots on the ground? Remember, SMART Weapons were sold to the American People by the Good-Old-Party, they would suppose to reduce the need for Boot on the ground.
Old 12-17-2010, 1:09pm   #19
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Oh cut the standard GOP talking points crap; if they stay there for another 10 or another 1000 years, how are we safer? In a Thread on the CF/PR&C, they were crying on Defense Spending, how Obama spending went down 14%. Well who is going to pay for the cool new War toys, if we’re paying 300 M a day for Boots on the ground? Remember, SMART Weapons were sold to the American People by the Good-Old-Party, they would suppose to reduce the need for Boot on the ground.
My freedom of having terriost attacking our lands is priceless and we need more boots on the ground and I am willing for my taxes to go up only in this area to support this. My safety and freedom of attacks on myself or country are that important and I do not visit CF/PR&C just here as less threads to keep up with.
Old 12-17-2010, 1:12pm   #20
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
My freedom of having terriost attacking our lands is priceless and we need more boots on the ground and I am willing for my taxes to go up only in this area to support this. My safety and freedom of attacks on myself or country are that important and I do not visit CF/PR&C just here as less threads to keep up with.
Good, then don't cry about your Taxes ... because ....

Quote:
My freedom of having terriost attacking our lands is priceless and we need more boots on the ground and I am willing for my taxes to go up only in this area to support this.
Thanks for making my case;

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion