Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2019, 06:39pm   #21
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 131,171, Level: 100
Activity: 98.0%
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 55,261
Thanks: 9,903
Thanked 20,125 Times in 10,637 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35000672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
It's been used quite a few times already. The one guy used it to verify a #30 thread with 32 threads per inch.



Next show is the A Time of Harvest Show October 11th & 12th

a whut????

never heard of such a thing. what's that in inches? something like 5/8"?
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:45pm   #22
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 75,559, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 37,766
Thanks: 17,897
Thanked 14,028 Times in 6,348 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5968641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
a whut????

never heard of such a thing. what's that in inches? something like 5/8"?
That's why the US standardized threads in 1920. The #30 thread is .300 in diameter.

There was no rhyme or reason to manufacturer thread sizing so you were forced to purchase replacement parts only from them. Now if you want to produce an oddball thread size, you specify diameter and thread pitch.
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2019, 06:57pm   #23
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Points: 131,171, Level: 100
Activity: 98.0%
 
DAB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 55,261
Thanks: 9,903
Thanked 20,125 Times in 10,637 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35000672
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
That's why the US standardized threads in 1920. The #30 thread is .300 in diameter.

There was no rhyme or reason to manufacturer thread sizing so you were forced to purchase replacement parts only from them. Now if you want to produce an oddball thread size, you specify diameter and thread pitch.
ah ha!

long ago, we took a tour of one of the old DuPont mansions in Delaware. near the front of the property was the old garage, and it still had several old machine tools (including an old lathe i recall). i noted to the guide, that there were not Pep Boys shops back then, so if the car broke down (only the rich originally owned cars), you'd have your mechanic make a new part. thus the tooling on property.

same thing with your old machines. busted bolt? grab some bar stock and make a new one. heat treat? surely you jest!
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 07:08pm   #24
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 75,559, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 37,766
Thanks: 17,897
Thanked 14,028 Times in 6,348 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5968641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post
ah ha!

long ago, we took a tour of one of the old DuPont mansions in Delaware. near the front of the property was the old garage, and it still had several old machine tools (including an old lathe i recall). i noted to the guide, that there were not Pep Boys shops back then, so if the car broke down (only the rich originally owned cars), you'd have your mechanic make a new part. thus the tooling on property.

same thing with your old machines. busted bolt? grab some bar stock and make a new one. heat treat? surely you jest!


Heat treating was usually case hardening
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JRD77VET For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 04:31pm   #25
WOEII
A Real Barner
Points: 14,394, Level: 82
Activity: 14.3%
 
WOEII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,735
Thanks: 967
Thanked 2,930 Times in 469 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1006665
Default

Needs me that super horn! lol Very nice show man!
WOEII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WOEII For This Useful Post:
Old 08-19-2019, 07:14pm   #26
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 75,559, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 37,766
Thanks: 17,897
Thanked 14,028 Times in 6,348 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5968641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOEII View Post
Needs me that super horn! lol Very nice show man!
Bill, I tell you every year you need to come out but no WOEII

Next year's Threshermen's Reunion is August 12-15, 2020
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:38pm   #27
simpleman68
Barn Stall Owner #17
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '12,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 33,374, Level: 100
Activity: 54.3%
 
simpleman68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bethlehem Pennsyltuckey
Posts: 13,483
Thanks: 1,960
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,422 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $175
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRD77VET View Post
It's a long time tradition to blow the whistles at noontime to let all the folks know it's lunchtime.

This year, a ships horn was on site and it was LOUD. It's off a super tanker and has a 17" diaphragm.

Here's a video of folks milling about as the whistles blow at lunch. The steam building whistle starts it off and it's joined by the traction engines ( steam tractors) and the ships horn.

Lunch time at the 71st Threshermen's Reunion at Rough and Tumble - YouTube
Holy Hell that had to be loud. Kids had a blast at the last one we got them to.

I would like to have heard that ship horn in person.... just damn
Scott
__________________
2004 M6 MSG
AMR forged 416
10.61 @ 133.24
11.22 @ 128 street tires old motor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCDpFvbMLCM
simpleman68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 08:40pm   #28
JRD77VET
Barn Stall Owner #327
NCM Supporter '16,'17,'19
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
GTMS 18
Points: 75,559, Level: 100
Activity: 99.4%
 
JRD77VET's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Zionsville,PA
Posts: 37,766
Thanks: 17,897
Thanked 14,028 Times in 6,348 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5968641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman68 View Post
Holy Hell that had to be loud. Kids had a blast at the last one we got them to.

I would like to have heard that ship horn in person.... just damn
Scott
I was in the Willock Building ( away for the loud end of the horn ) on Friday when they blew it. I could hear and feel it in the building with a bunch of engines running.

Ear plugs were used for filming on Saturday plus I was 30 plus yards away from it
JRD77VET is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2009 - 2019 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page