Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-24-2024, 11:51am   #61
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 90.6%

Thanked 1,703 Times in 1,005 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
You don’t have any pictures of the projects that you have done?

And it’s not all about documenting your life. Having pictures can be very helpful later especially framing, MEP, and other parts of a structure that you can’t see once completed.
No my wife was the shutter bug. I never had a digital camera untill I replaced my flip phone recently. Even when traveling I just enjoyed the view and food never saw the point of looking at life through a viewfinder.
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 11:52am   #62
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,655 Times in 3,762 Posts

Quote:
You don’t have any pictures of the projects that you have done?

And it’s not all about documenting your life. Having pictures can be very helpful later especially framing, MEP, and other parts of a structure that you can’t see once completed.
Never mind, Lars. I don't buy it either. None of us do. As I stated a month ago or thereabouts, EVERYBODY HERE has Bob's number. Everybody.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 11:58am   #63
Big bob
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Never mind, Lars. I don't buy it either. None of us do. As I stated a month ago or thereabouts, EVERYBODY HERE has Bob's number. Everybody.

DANCE MY LITTLE PUPPETS DANCE

Name:  BB-Jesse.png
Views: 36
Size:  405.9 KB

Still waiting for any links to back your ignorance.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:03pm   #64
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,454 Times in 10,613 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bob View Post
No my wife was the shutter bug. I never had a digital camera untill I replaced my flip phone recently. Even when traveling I just enjoyed the view and food never saw the point of looking at life through a viewfinder.
So you are telling us that you don’t have any pictures of any project that you have ever done?
House. Car. Truck. Garage. Shop. Porch. Deck. Barn Gazebo….
Nothing?
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 12:16pm   #65
Big bob
A Real Barner

Quote:
So you are telling us that you don’t have any pictures of any project that you have ever done?
House. Car. Truck. Garage. Shop. Porch. Deck. Barn Gazebo….
Nothing?

No I am sure there are a lot of pictures as I said my wife was the shutter bug. And has albums of pictures she took through the years.
Old 02-24-2024, 12:25pm   #66
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117
Activity: 75.2%

Thanked 10,782 Times in 3,956 Posts

Quote:

Well, we certainly don't need to see any photos of Dave all busted up in Large Slob's vehicle. We were forced to watch that movie in Driver's Ed in high school. And if you've seen one oak stump, you've pretty much seen them all.
Tikiman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 12:35pm   #67
Big bob
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
Well, we certainly don't need to see any photos of Dave all busted up in Large Slob's vehicle. We were forced to watch that movie in Driver's Ed in high school. And if you've seen one oak stump, you've pretty much seen them all.
And have seen you flaunting your ignorance while hidding as well. Did you go through your younger years as a little ***** as well?
Old 02-24-2024, 12:38pm   #68
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,545 Times in 2,658 Posts

Blob's a coward.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 1:16pm   #69
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Quote:
And have seen you flaunting your ignorance while hidding as well. Did you go through your younger years as a little ***** as well?
I thought Yadkin was the only one hidding around here. And swollowing to.

And triing not to inhale dust bunnys.

I geuss Tiki is a hidder as well.

Oh well such is life
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 2:03pm   #70
owc6
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 11.9%

Quote:
I’ve owned 2 Verts and 3 Coupes.
Me, too!
owc6 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owc6 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 2:08pm   #71
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 68.3%

Thanked 33,441 Times in 11,746 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by owc6 View Post
Me, too!

You should hang out here more.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 2:14pm   #72
owc6
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 11.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
You should hang out here more.
I'm beginning to realize that.
owc6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 3:24pm   #73
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
I thought Yadkin was the only one hidding around here. And swollowing to.

And triing not to inhale dust bunnys.

I geuss Tiki is a hidder as well.

Oh well such is life
He's incapable of learning, which is why he flunked out of highschool. Sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 4:54pm   #74
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
He's incapable of learning, which is why he flunked out of highschool. Sad.
Well, he might not be able to learn anything, but he taught me two new words this past week! And that punctuation is purely optional

hidding
swollowing
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 5:05pm   #75
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,454 Times in 10,613 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
No I am sure there are a lot of pictures as I said my wife was the shutter bug. And has albums of pictures she took through the years.
She won't share them with you so you can share them with us?
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2024, 8:20pm   #76
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Every lame-ass excuse. Sad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2024, 10:19pm   #77
Big bob
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
Every lame-ass excuse. Sad.

Were you a natural born **** ?
Old 02-25-2024, 7:20am   #78
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117

Quote:
Well, he might not be able to learn anything, but he taught me two new words this past week! And that punctuation is purely optional

hidding
swollowing

Punctuation, spelling, grammar, diction. Who really cares when you are an uneducated drunk sitting on oak stumps.

Just ask Dave. Oh, wait...
The Following User Says Thank You to Tikiman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 12:09pm   #79
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421

Well, at least I think we can all agree that if Big Bob were a cartoon character, He'd be Foghorn Leghorn. Name:  FL.jpg
Views: 20
Size:  3.4 KB
The Following User Says Thank You to GTOguy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2024, 12:24pm   #80
Tikiman
Barn Stall Owner #117

Quote:
Well, at least I think we can all agree that if Big Bob were a cartoon character, He'd be Foghorn Leghorn. Attachment 97340
Foghorn Leghorn is a Mensa candidate compared to Large Slob.

With that said, have you ever heard the origins of Foghorn Leghorn?

The Origin of Foghorn Leghorn
I would like to clear up the origins of one of the most beloved stars in Looney Tunes history, Foghorn Leghorn.

In late 1944, story man Warren Foster came up with a rooster story for Bob McKimson, recently promoted to a directing position and getting ready to begin his fourth cartoon. This story, eventually titled Walky Talky Hawky, ostensibly starred Henery Hawk, a tough-kid character originally created by Ted Pierce for Chuck Jones’s 1942 release The Squawkin’ Hawk. But it was obvious from the storyboard that Foster’s funny rooster would “steal” this cartoon.

McKimson decided to base the loudmouth’s voice on a hard-of-hearing West Coast-only radio character from the 1930s, known simply as The Sheriff. Rather than using Mel Blanc (McKimson recalled he didn’t think Mel could do [that voice]), another actor was auditioned (frustratingly, I don’t know who this person was). But when that performer didn’t work out, Blanc came aboard and, McKimson recalled, “did a real good job.”

It is at this early point in the Foghorn saga that even Bob McKimson himself falls victim to the vagaries of recall, because by the time he began being interviewed in the mid-1970s (along with Clampett, Jones and many other Warner veterans), his memory was clouded by both the passage of time and the enormous fame that another old-time radio character, one Senator Claghorn, had enjoyed from 1945-49 on the highly respected comedy program The Fred Allen Show.

McKimson recalled telling Foster that he was listening to the radio and had heard Claghorn. He also believed that “Claghorn” had taken his vocal delivery from the old, deaf sheriff on the early variety show, Blue Monday Jamboree.

The Jamboree, like much of early West Coast radio, came out of San Francisco, before the show moved to Los Angeles in 1933, when network lines became operational in Los Angeles. At that point most of its cast began Hollywood acting careers, including character man Jack Clifford who originated The Sheriff. Clifford continued appearing as the Sheriff all through the 1930s on local LA programs like Comedy Stars of Hollywood, Komedy Kapers and The Gilmore Circus. He also played bit parts in many films.

The Sheriff – who would yell obnoxiously, talk over people, and repeat what he’d just said, prefacing each reiteration with “I say…” – was indeed the inspiration for Foghorn. But it must be emphasized, only for the first cartoon, Walky Talky Hawky. (Actually a major running gag for The Sheriff – bad puns based on mis-hearing what somebody was saying to him – was never a part of Foghorn Leghorn’s character.) But as McKimson mis-remembered it in his later years, he and Foster merged the two characters – the old sheriff and Senator Claghorn – and made them parts of the rooster.

But the plain fact is that the dialogue-track for Walky Talky Hawky was recorded on January 13, 1945, a full ten months before the debut of Senator Claghorn on Fred Allen’s New York-based show. A careful listen to this cartoon’s track reveals that Blanc sounds totally unlike the Foggy voice of the 1950s. Here he sounds much more like Yosemite Sam – loud and very gruff, and incorporating the Sheriff’s habit of starting a sentence and then re-starting with “I say…,” such as when the rooster yells, “Lose something – I say, didja lose something?” And the way he shouts “Pay attention, boy…”

Although a major influence on the cartoon, Jack Clifford’s Sheriff was virtually a forgotten local LA radio character by the time the cartoon was released in late August of 1946. But Senator Claghorn, ironically just ten months old, was already a national sensation.

Kenny Delmar (1910-84) was a highly successful New York-based radio actor and announcer. He began, like so many others of his era, performing in vaudeville (with his mother and aunt as The Delmar Sisters), before he broke into radio in 1936. An accomplished dialectician, he worked scores of East Coast shows like The Shadow where he met Orson Welles. Welles hired him in 1938 for his famous “War of the Worlds” broadcast, where Delmar, although playing “Secretary of the Interior,” imitated President Roosevelt’s voice and added to the reality feel that Welles was after. In the 1940s Delmar got the job of announcer for the prestigious, intelligent comedian Fred Allen.

In his late teens Delmar had hitchhiked cross-country and was given a two-day ride in Texas by a real-life character that every actor dreams about meeting. A bombastic rancher, this man would suddenly turn to his passenger and shout, “Son, I own five hundred head of cattle – five hundred, that is. I say, I own five hundred head of cattle.” He also insisted on finishing his wheezy gags with a hearty “That’s a joke, son! Ah say, that’s a joke!” Delmar stored this voice up in his mental computer and made him a party piece he called “Dynamite Gus.” After doing the voice briefly (as Counsellor Cartonbranch) on The Alan Young Show, a season before Young moved to the Coast in 1946, actress Minerva Pious – a long-time Allen supporting player – suggested Fred try Kenny’s windbag voice for the upcoming radio season.

Since 1942, a popular feature of Fred Allen’s radio show was Allen’s Alley wherein the star would wander down a make-believe street and meet a melting pot of Americana (Jewish housewife, a windy Irish-American, a New England farmer and a loudmouth politician). Jack Smart had been playing a pompous politico named Senator Bloat, but Smart had departed the show, and Allen had a hole to fill in his Alley.

So when Fred Allen returned to the air for the 1945-46 Fall season beginning October 5, 1945, his large national audience heard the Senator Claghorn voice for the first time.

The Senator’s chauvinistic Southern jokes (“I refuse to drink unless it’s in a Dixie cup!”) and catchphrases (“That’s a joke, son” and “That is”), bolstered by the strong comedy scripts written by Allen and his co-writers, became national bywords by the end of his first month, and all across America entranced listeners began imitating the Senator’s voice.

While Claghorn was proving an instant success, the second Foghorn Leghorn picture, Crowing Pains, was underway by late 1945, and on November 24, its dialogue was recorded. This was a full eight weeks after Claghorn had made his bow, and already some borrowing of his mannerisms begins. As mentioned above, it was Claghorn, not The Sheriff, who used the catch-phrase “That’s a joke, son,” and appended “that is” to various sentences, such as, “He was too short. Short, that is.”

So it was in fact this second entry that McKimson was thinking of when he recalled telling Warren Foster about the Claghorn voice (as he noted, Foster became very excited about the verbal gag possibilities). In Crowing Pains Foggy says, “That’s a joke, boy – ya missed it, went right past you!” And, most importantly showing the marriage of both The Sheriff and Senator Claghorn, “What’s the ga- I say, what’s the gag, son? Gag that is.” This cartoon was the start of Foster’s excellent use of the radio influences for the dialogue in the Foghorn cartoons, dialogue that by the early 1950s entries was often downright hilarious.

A third rooster cartoon, Rootin’ Tootin’ Rooster began production in the summer of 1946. Its eventual title was The Foghorn Leghorn (the bellicose rooster, until then an anonymous barnyard denizen, finally took his name from this cartoon’s title). It was in this cartoon that the Senator Claghorn influence became truly blatant. Foggy says, “Scram. Scram, that is,” “Lookee here, son,” and employs the actual Senatorial standby, “That’s a joke, son…a flagwaver….”

Meanwhile, following his first season with Fred Allen, Kenny Delmar was wooed to Hollywood to make a feature film starring the highly popular Senator. The movie was called – what else? – It’s a Joke, Son! (it was filmed in mid-1946, while the Allen show was on summer hiatus, and released in early 1947. Interestingly the third Foghorn cartoon’s dialogue was recorded in late July and early August, while Delmar was shooting his movie nearby). Delmar remained with Fred Allen until Allen’s final show in June 1949, at which point the Senator’s fabled radio career ended after four very successful years. (Of course he continued doing the Senator for years in commercials, and even played a similar Southern politician on Broadway in a production of Texas, Li’l Darlin’).

And as for Foghorn Leghorn, his character – refined a little more film by film – went on into the 1950s and early 60s in a highly successful series of cartoons. Interestingly, a new supporting hen, Miss Prissy, was also lifted virtually intact from another New York-originated radio character on The Milton Berle Show, that of a dizzy rich woman whose answer to everything was an imperious, vacuous “Yeeeesss” – she was played by Pert Kelton, an early TV foil of Jackie Gleason.

https://cartoonresearch.com/index.ph...orn-leghorn-2/

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic