User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2011, 12:28pm   #1
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626
bilmem the Monarch of Michigan

Governor Snyder of Michigan is currently waging a bloodless, financially-based COUP on American soil!!

Nothing less that ONE MAN, ONE VOTE is in peril!

He and his party have PASSED a new bill that will effectively give him the powers of a MONARCH!

He will have the power to summarily, answerable to NO ONE but himself, simply DECLARE any county, city, town, village or school district to be in a "financial crisis." the criteria will be his OWN DISCRETION ( This IS how the bill is written! )

Once he does so, he will have the power to appoint what is essentially a CZAR, a VICEROY who will assume TOTAL control of that entity.

That VICEROY will have the authority to:

A) Summarily CANCEL any and all contracts ANYONE has with that municipality.

B) SELL OFF any property of assets he or she chooses, at pennies on the dollar.

c) Unilaterally cut or eliminate public services without discussion or notice.

D) Summarily DISMISS, PERMANENTLY, any and all duly elected officials in the district.

Oh, and as an ADDED BONUS, King Snyder I will have the authority to appoint PRIVATE COMPANIES as viceroys, as if they were individuals. He can PRIVATIZE actual CITIES! At HIS discretion!

This is REAL, people! This is actually HAPPENING! NOW! In MICHIGAN! In the UNITED STATES of AMERICA!

YOU-ARE_LOSING_YOUR_RIGHT_TO_SELF_DETERMINATION! You are losing your RIGHT TO VOTE!! Other states WILL copy his lead.

Is THIS what you want, Tea party? Is THIS better than Obama?

Doesnt anybody CARE?
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Z06PDQ For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 12:37pm   #2
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Rick Snyder

Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder signs his first bill as governor at the State Capitol in Lansing, Mich., on Tuesday March 8, 2011.
(Credit: David Coates,AP Photo/The Detroit News)

Michigan lawmakers are on the verge of approving a bill that would enable the governor to appoint "emergency managers" -- officials with unilateral power to make sweeping changes to cities facing financial troubles.

Under the legislation, the Michigan Messenger reports, the governor could declare a "financial emergency" in towns or school districts. He could then appoint a manager to fire local elected officials, break contracts, seize and sell assets, eliminate services - and even eliminate whole cities or school districts without any public input.

The measure passed in the state Senate this week; the House passed its own version earlier. The two versions of the bill are expected to be reconciled next week, and Republican Gov. Rick Snyder has said he will sign the bill the bill into law.

Democrats and their allies are decrying the legislation as a power grab and say it's part of a wider effort taking place in several states, such as Wisconsin, to weaken labor unions.

"It takes every decision in a city or school district and puts it in the hands of the manager, from when the streets get plowed to who plows them and how much they are paid," said Mark Gaffney, president of the Michigan State AFL-CIO. "This is a takeover by the right wing and it's an assault on democracy like I've never seen."

U.S. Rep. John Conyers, a Democrat who represents Detroit, said in a statement that in a given city, the governor's new "financial czar" could "force a municipality into bankruptcy, a power that will surely be used to extract further concessions from hardworking public sector workers."

He said the legislation raises "serious constitutional concerns." On top of that, he said, allowing an "emergency manager" to dissolve locally elected bodies "implicitly targets minority communities that are disproportionately impacted by the economic downturn, without providing meaningful support for improved economic opportunity."

Republican state Sen. Jack Brandenburg said several urban areas of the state, especially Detroit, are in "bad shape" and require "financial martial law," the Daily Tribune reports.

The emergency manager, he said, "has to have the backbone, he has to have the power, to null and void a contract." In response to concerns that local leaders will have to cede control, Brandenburg said, "I'll tell you what, I think that in a lot of these places there is no control."

An emergency manager would only be put in place if several other steps to save a city's finances failed, and Snyder has said in recent weeks that removing elected officials or breaking contracts would be a last resort for an emergency manager. In addition, the legislature would have the power to remove an emergency manager.

As the "emergency manager" bill nears final passage, state lawmakers are also considering Snyder's proposed budget, which would cut spending on schools, universities, prisons and communities, according to the Detroit Free Press.

Snyder has also proposed eliminating $1.7 billion in tax breaks for individuals while cutting $1.8 billion in taxes for businesses to spur job growth. Much of the $1.7 billion in new tax revenue would be "coming from retirees, senior citizens and the working poor," the Free Press wrote in an editorial.
Old 03-19-2011, 12:38pm   #3
Defib1961
Barn Stall Owner #23
Barn Raising I

Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,031 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $144580

The guy is a ****ing idiot.
Defib1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Defib1961 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 3:02pm   #4
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $73231

Uh, lies.
thkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 3:09pm   #5
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 5,047 Times in 2,242 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
Doesnt anybody CARE?
No one seemed to care when the city of Detroit self-destructed into the vast wasteland of urban decay it is today.

When strong liberal leadership and unions chase the money away, this is what predictably happens. Almost all auto production, gone. Half the population, gone. Prosperity in general, gone!

They got exactly what they deserve. Block after block of abandoned buildings, 1/3 of homes are vacant, crime and desperation everywhere. The entire city is about hopeless.

Right now, the city is currently considering abandoning fully half of it's schools for the SOLE sake of affording the union benefits to the employees and teachers in the remaining schools. The school district is operating with a $327 million deficit.

The city literally can't even afford to board up or secure the empty schools, so they will just walk away and leave them untouched and add to the current landscape of ransacked abandonment.

But of course you don't see any problem with this, so long as those few remaining union folk still get their bennies, everything's just peachy there.
Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 4:12pm   #6
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkauffman View Post
Uh, lies.
prove it.
Old 03-19-2011, 4:15pm   #7
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
Uh, lies.
Hard to argue with a strong rebuttal like that.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2011, 4:17pm   #8
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
No one seemed to care when the city of Detroit self-destructed into the vast wasteland of urban decay it is today.

When strong liberal leadership and unions chase the money away, this is what predictably happens. Almost all auto production, gone. Half the population, gone. Prosperity in general, gone!

They got exactly what they deserve. Block after block of abandoned buildings, 1/3 of homes are vacant, crime and desperation everywhere. The entire city is about hopeless.

Right now, the city is currently considering abandoning fully half of it's schools for the SOLE sake of affording the union benefits to the employees and teachers in the remaining schools. The school district is operating with a $327 million deficit.

The city literally can't even afford to board up or secure the empty schools, so they will just walk away and leave them untouched and add to the current landscape of ransacked abandonment.

But of course you don't see any problem with this, so long as those few remaining union folk still get their bennies, everything's just peachy there.
unions didn't destroy Detroit. CEO's did. we begged them for better autos & they ignored us until the foreign makers got a foothold on the market. unions didn't destroy Detroit. unfair trade,tax,tariff laws did. state sponsored health care not reflected in the price of an automobile did.
Old 03-19-2011, 4:55pm   #9
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
unions didn't destroy Detroit. CEO's did.
Actually, automated assembly techniques, CNC, and robots did, but as always, the unions heavily fought that forward progress, so instead of updating existing facilities amidst much hostility, plants simply shut down and relocated elsewhere in the country or world willing to produce that better product.

I suppose you could blame that as CEO-directed, but yeah, that's generally what their interest is, to improve and further the company.

The root cause is certainly more than just that one aspect of course, but no matter, look who's still hanging out in Detroit today with their hand out. Ironic.

At least the Governor has a vested interest in rejuvenating the city, and a lot of that has taken place in the past decade with the intent of drawing business (and employment) back to it, but as usual, the unions are the ones protesting those efforts tooth and nail.

All this legislation you posted about accomplishes, is making city Gov'ts just as accountable for their actions. There's no reason an entire state has to be dragged down just because of one city that sucks more money than a Hollywood hooker by honoring bloated union contracts, so his idea makes much sense to most people in the rest of the state that don't wish to fund their ill-decisions.

It's time for the successful to take the country back and improve it, enough of this "guaranteed mediocrity" bullshit that has proven over and over again to destroy it.

Old 03-19-2011, 5:40pm   #10
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
It's time for the successful to take the country back
yeah..."back" to the 1800's.
Old 03-19-2011, 5:59pm   #11
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14

Quote:
yeah..."back" to the 1800's.
You feel OSHA would approve of that?
Old 03-19-2011, 6:15pm   #12
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154

Czars, they are taking a page out of obamas book, the difference is to cut spending, no job for life anymore in MI, seems voters are tired of the returns on the taxes sent into govt. Does this go around the state law? What Obama is doing is that going around the laws?
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:00pm   #13
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
Czars, they are taking a page out of obamas book, the difference is to cut spending, no job for life anymore in MI, seems voters are tired of the returns on the taxes sent into govt. Does this go around the state law? What Obama is doing is that going around the laws?
Making more Voter friends.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 4:45am   #14
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.4%

Thanked 11,607 Times in 5,724 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Last time I was through Detroit was maybe 25 years ago, I was unimpressed then, I see the pix of now, and it's pretty much the same sites I remember.....

I could cut that city budget by 60% overnight, and no one would notice....

stone serious.....

Thomas Edison

All products should say "Do not use if your stupid".....

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 5:40am   #15
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $73231

Quote:
prove it.
I live in Michigan. First hand knowledge. I don't need to disprove your mewlings from left-wing rags.
thkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 9:24am   #16
ChasC5
Banned

bilmem

Quote:
I live in Michigan. First hand knowledge. I don't need to disprove your mewlings from left-wing rags.
Ok, like your first hand experience of Illinois.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:26am   #17
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Ok, like your first hand experience of Illinois.
While you are on topic, your first hand experience of Texas and any other state, you do know it all mighty keyboard master
Old 03-20-2011, 12:41pm   #18
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

biggrin

Quote:
so, you have no proof,huh? why didn't you just say so?
Old 03-20-2011, 1:14pm   #19
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Quote:
More diversion, what he sees with his eyes are not enough, oh that is right he is blind
Old 03-20-2011, 2:19pm   #20
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Like we are going to pay attention to someone from MI tell the truth about IL

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion