Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-22-2010, 6:17pm   #21
vettex2
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2741

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defib1961 View Post
So you mean my genuine imitation leather isn't real? Or is the imitation leather an imitation of naugahyde? I am confused
I expected monk to be confused but not you
vettex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 8:26pm   #22
themonk
Barn Stall Owner #65
Activity: 3.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5394274

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettex2 View Post
TRY TO FOLLOW ALONG WILL YA ?

I'm trying but you had me confused when you said "imitations are fake".

2003 C5 'vert. (white)
2000 Cadillac STS. (white)
1981 Camaro Z28 4spd 350. (white)
themonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:42pm   #23
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,615 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $975924

I have watched the first episodes of Top Gear UK, Top Gear Australia I, Top Gear Russia, Top Gear Australia II and Top Gear USA. Here is how they shake out, for me anyway...

Chemistry

By far the best chemistry between hosts on a first episode goes to Top Gear Australia II. Unlike any group of hosts before the Aussie II boys felt like lifelong frienemies right off the bat. 2nd place would go to the Top Gear Australia I team, who had the luxury of Charlie Cox as lead host, allowing Steve and Warren to hate on Charlie as is correct, because Cox is LAME.

The worst chemistry between hosts on a first episode goes to Top Gear Russia. The hosts spent most of the first episode having no clue who the other host was and trying to position themselves as the top dog.

Cinematography

Best cinematography for a first episode comes from Top Gear Australia II. Their stuff looks exactly like Top Gear UK's latest.

Second place goes to Top Gear USA, which looks like Top Gear UK around series 3 or 4.

Worst cinematography goes to Top Gear Russia, but we can let that slide, as they were filming the show with what looks like WWII film technology.

Supercar Review

Best supercar review for a first episode goes to Top Gear UK with Pagani Zonda C12 S vs Lamborghini Murcielago. Exactly what a Top Gear supercar review should be, it still ranks among the all time best pieces of supercar cinema.

... and then, there is a huge gap.

Second place goes to Top Gear USA for 2010 Lambroghinis. The result is as expected. Rutledge let the SV down, but then, Captain Slow would have done the same thing.

The other shows don't even compare. The Aussies had the Maybach 57 for I and the Morgan Aero SS for II. Russia had the Boxster S.

Host Challenge

Top Gear Australia II wins this with Outback Sailing, simply because no other Top Gear series has included a host challenge in the first episode.

Overall I feel that Top Gear USA's first episode slots into a solid 3rd place behind the Aussie II and the Brits. Yes, I do think that, as first episodes go, Australia II beats UK. Go back and watch that first episode of UK. It is slow, ponderous and flat. The cinematography is very Autoweek with locked off cameras and TV news composition.

The USA hosts don't seem that bad to me. Of course I'm meeting Rutledge and Adam for the first time here, and not really meeting Adam at all. I know Tanner Faust from bits and pieces of stuff I've seen him do, mostly in movie Making Of documentaries. I've only seen one Supercars Exposed and one Battle Of The... yeah, I couldn't finish that show and it was Paul Tracy's fault.

I have a feeling that Tanner will relax and not try so hard. I think Rutledge has the potential to be the best of the three, mostly because Adam said maybe 10 words the whole show.

The USA crew is never going to be the UK crew, who have been together now for 7 years. But I do think that what we have is a very solid start, with potential for improvement. Yeah, the Aussies blew the roof off the place with their second attempt at a first episode, but they've managed to ruin it by showing three episodes and then disappearing from the schedule for weeks.

I'll be watching Top Gear USA next weekend, as it is now the best motoring show this country makes and the third best Top Gear... so far.
ApexOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic