Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2024, 6:52am   #41
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 88.5%

Thanked 4,360 Times in 1,999 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

My old man was better "friends" with my friends Moms, than my friends.

ehh hemmm......
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 9:56am   #42
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 18.0%

Thanked 4,394 Times in 2,408 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

Didn't trust my dad enough to endanger friends. Not that he would harm them intentionally but you needed to stay on your toes to avoid ending up as collateral damage around him.

Did you hear about the last time we hunted together? There's a reason it was the last time
Torqaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 1:54pm   #43
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,741 Times in 3,821 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerovette View Post
My dad was a tough dude. Took no shit from anyone...big or small. My friends looked up to him. He was a funny guy which made him easy to get along with.
Same here. Dad was 5-7 and 170 pounds and stocky....he said it was from working in the Gary steel mills in the '40's when he was heading to college. His one-liners were priceless. And quick. He was the smartest man I ever met, and one of the least wise.

One day a solicitor called up, and dad answered (his generation ALWAYS answered the phone).
Solicitor: "Hello. I'd like to speak to anybody in the household between the ages of 18 and 65, please."
Dad: I'm sorry. In this house, everybody is under the age of 18 and over the age of 65. Good By."

Dozens of other ones. He passed it on to me, as well, but it's watered down. Oma (grandma) was caustic as HELL.
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 3:44pm   #44
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 73.7%

Thanked 33,701 Times in 13,655 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOguy View Post
Same here. Dad was 5-7 and 170 pounds and stocky....he said it was from working in the Gary steel mills in the '40's when he was heading to college. His one-liners were priceless. And quick. He was the smartest man I ever met, and one of the least wise.

One day a solicitor called up, and dad answered (his generation ALWAYS answered the phone).
Solicitor: "Hello. I'd like to speak to anybody in the household between the ages of 18 and 65, please."
Dad: I'm sorry. In this house, everybody is under the age of 18 and over the age of 65. Good By."

Dozens of other ones. He passed it on to me, as well, but it's watered down. Oma (grandma) was caustic as HELL.
My man, I'll bet if we ever end up in the same place, we'll have some damn good stories to share.
Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2024, 3:44pm   #45
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,562 Times in 10,675 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

My dad was definitely the cool dad in the neighborhood.
He had Elvis sideburns and a full head of hair. Drove a red on red 2 door 1963 Chevy Biscayne. Only one neighbor dad had a cooler car, a Ford Torino GT.
He didn’t smoke or drink but was very in-tune to the kids of my day.

We were one of the first in the neighborhood to have a built in pool so our place was a popular spot in the summer.
Dad would accommodate with snacks and occasionally a cookout.

He often told me that if I was going to smoke pot or drink beer do it at home. I didn’t listen. He once found a bag of weed in my sister’s bedroom and I stole half of it.

We used to have no adults allowed pool parties and once we were in our later teens dad would supply the beer.
And for my HS graduation he organized a party for me and my friends. He brought beer and mom shared her cigarettes with the girls. And dad set up a pa sound system so we could crank the tunes. He joined us for a group sing to Wooly Bully.

Holy **** the 1970’s were the best.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 4:31pm   #46
TheHammer
A Real Barner
Activity: 10.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2149

Small town, once a year, my dad would borrow my car, (souped up, stereo, etc.) and used it to bounce around the local bars with his work buddies. They called it their annual "Stag" party and about a dozen of them would hit all the local bars, drink, play cards, raise hell.

I'd pick up a ride with a buddy and tag his routes and stops, didn't need any new dents, etc. in my car. The old man and his buddies started fights at a few bars and would bail before the police showed up. They always kept the local police busy on "Stag" day / night.

Old man was a bad ass back in his day, everybody knew him, the family and his brothers. Football athlete, full ride Iowa, 6' 3" 220 and didn't take shit from anybody.

I remember standing up to him when I was a senior, I was 6' 3" 220 myself. He gave me a shove, got me sideways and kicked me in the ass, I was airborne and landed about 10' away. He was also the kicker for HS football team, lol. Damn my ass bone was sore after that one.
TheHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 5:05pm   #47
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.8%

Thanked 3,636 Times in 1,632 Posts

Dad was tough former Marine with an Italian temper, but when Mom got up a head of steam he would have a flashback and holler at us kids, "Fall back, fall back !!"

She was a 5'2" red-headed, piece of Irish hellfire.

Neighbor's German Shepard bit me on the buttock once while delivering newspapers on my bicycle and Dad was out of town. Mom marched down to their house with a cigarette sticking up from her mouth like Burgess Meredith as the Penguin on the Barman series in her yoga pants. She stood in their front yard and my sweet mother poured out expletives like the father in The Christmas Story.

Time seemed to stand still and the curtains moved in the neighbor's house but nobody appeared outside. Never saw that dog again.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 5:17pm   #48
GTOguy
Barn Stall Owner #421
Activity: 99.2%

Thanked 7,741 Times in 3,821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Dad was tough former Marine with an Italian temper, but when Mom got up a head of steam he would have a flashback and holler at us kids, "Fall back, fall back !!"

She was a 5'2" red-headed, piece of Irish hellfire.

Neighbor's German Shepard bit me on the buttock once while delivering newspapers on my bicycle and Dad was out of town. Mom marched down to their house with a cigarette sticking up from her mouth like Anthony Burgess as the Penguin on the Barman series in her yoga pants. She stood in their front yard and my sweet mother poured out expletives like the father in The Christmas Story.

Time seemed to stand still and the curtains moved in the neighbor's house but nobody appeared outside. Never saw that dog again.
*Burgess Meredith
GTOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 5:21pm   #49
Red Baron
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.6%

Quote:
*Burgess Meredith
What ever happened to "Egghead"? That's what I want to know.
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2024, 5:50pm   #50
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 60.8%

Thanked 3,636 Times in 1,632 Posts

Quote:
*Burgess Meredith
Correction made...ugh..
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote