User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 7:07pm   #21
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default The Kochtopus

Koch Industries Slashed WI Jobs, Helped Elect Scott Walker, Now Orchestrating Pro-Walker Protest.

Today

ThinkProgress » Koch Industries Slashed WI Jobs, Helped Elect Scott Walker, Now Orchestrating Pro-Walker Protest

Wisconsin’s newly elected Republican Gov. Scott Walker is facing a growing backlash over his attempt to cut pay and eliminate collective bargaining rights for public employees in his state.

Although Walker is claiming his power grab is an attempt to close a budget gap, the budget “crisis” was engineered by Walker as soon as he got into office.

As Brian Beutler reported, half of the budget shortfall comes from Walker’s own tax cuts for businesses and other business giveaways enacted in January.

A number of the big business interests standing with Walker are beneficiaries of his administration’s tax giveaways.

But the greatest ally to Walker is the dirty energy company Koch Industries.

In response to the growing protests in Madison, Koch fronts are busing in Tea Party protesters to support Walker and his union-busting campaign.

Last night, MSNBC’s Ed Schultz reported on the involvement of Club for Growth and the Koch-financed Americans for Prosperity in the pro-Walker protest scheduled tomorrow.

Koch Industries is a major player in Wisconsin: Koch owns a coal company subsidiary with facilities in Green Bay, Manitowoc, Ashland and Sheboygan; six timber plants throughout the state; and a large network of pipelines in Wisconsin. While Koch controls much of the infrastructure in the state, they have laid off workers to boost profits.

At a time when Koch Industries owners David and Charles Koch awarded themselves an extra $11 billion of income from the company, Koch slashed jobs at their Green Bay plant:

Officials at Georgia-Pacific said the company is laying off 158 workers at its Day Street plant because out-of-date equipment at the facility is being replaced with newer, more-efficient equipment.

The company said much of the new, papermaking equipment will be automated.
Malach tells FOX 11 that the layoffs are not because of a drop in demand.
In fact, Malach said demand is high for the bath tissue and napkins manufactured at the plant.

Koch Industries was one of the biggest contributors to Walker’s gubernatorial campaign, funneling $43,000 over the course of last year.

In return, Koch front groups are closely guiding the Walker agenda.

The American Legislative Exchange Council, another Koch-funded group, advised Walker and the GOP legislature on its anti-labor legislation and its first corporate tax cuts.

According to the EPA, Koch businesses are huge polluters, emitting thousands of pounds of toxic pollutants.

As soon as he got into office Walker started cutting environmental regulations and appointed a Republican known for her disregard for environmental regulations to lead the Department of Natural Resources.

In addition, Walker has stated his opposition to clean energy jobs policies that might draw workers away from Koch-owned interests.

Moreover, other organizers for the pro-Walker protest are from groups associated with corporate and Koch interests.

American Majority, a Virginia-based front group founded by organizers funded by millionaire investor Howie Rich, is on the ground contacting Wisconsin Tea Parties to support Walker in Madison.

Austin James, an American Majority official who was caught teaching Tea Party members to spam Amazon.com profiles of liberal books with negative comments, is the contact for the Facebook page organizing the pro-Walker protest. Eric O’Keefe, a longtime conservative operative who helps lead American Majority, attends Koch strategy meetings.

Update ~ Koch's Americans for Prosperity group has launched a new website and petition called Stand With Scott Walker.

The new site attacks all collective bargaining, not just for public sector unions. Koch's front group also declares: "In fact, every state should adopt Governor Scott Walker's common sense reforms."

*Hey Rushbo, get your fatass down here ... *

~ Ed Schultz in Madison,WI.

Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exotix For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 7:36pm   #22
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 3.6%

Thanked 12,540 Times in 5,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post
Yeah, we could soon be just like Texas.

VITE1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 7:40pm   #23
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Maybe the Governer of Wisconsin can move to Texas and feel at home?

Because it's obvious the People don't agree with him.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 7:51pm   #24
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Because it's obvious some People don't agree with him.
Fixt.

It was a campaign promise that helped get him elected.
Can't fault the guy one bit for following through and making good on that deal.

Head 5 mins outside of Madison in any direction, and you will find the same sentiment echoed everywhere. But of course that's not newsworthy.

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Y2Kvert4me For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2011, 8:03pm   #25
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

Quote:
Yeah, we could soon be just like Texas.

that's funny. my company & my union have been in legally binding contracts for several decades now. wow! I hope MY Fortune 500 over 100 year old company that just posted a RECORD PROFIT in a recession doesn't figure out WTF is going on.
Z06PDQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 8:06pm   #26
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
that's funny. my company & my union have been in legally binding contracts for several decades now. wow! I hope MY Fortune 500 over 100 year old company that just posted a RECORD PROFIT in a recession doesn't figure out WTF is going on.
Because you're not a state employee?

Why are you not organizing protests in TX, but speaking so loudly against WI?
Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 8:07pm   #27
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320
biggrin

I say the more people the GOP puts in the Unemployment Line, the more Votes for the Democrats.

Brilliant
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 8:12pm   #28
Exotix
Banned

Default Palin ~ *My Wisconsin Brothers & Sisters*

Palin ~ *Union Brothers and Sisters Seize Opportunity to Show True Solidarity*

Union Brothers and Sisters: Seize Opportunity to Show True Solidarity | Facebook

"The union-led school closures and demonstrations in Madison have left most ordinary Americans shaking their heads in disbelief.

Months ago, I penned a message to my fellow union brothers and sisters when I found myself on the receiving end of union boss Richard Trumka’s wrath.

Yesterday’s demonstrations reminded me of the full-page ads taken out against me when I put my foot down in dealing with union demands while I served as governor.

My message then and now to good union brothers and sisters is that you have another option.

You don’t have to kowtow to the union bosses who are not looking out for you, but instead are using you.

You can join millions of other union members in a commonsense movement to help fight for the right causes in our great country – for budgets that share the burden in a truly fair way and for commonsense reforms that take power away from vested interests like union bosses and big business lobby groups, and put it back where it belongs – with “We the People.”

GOP presidential hopefuls rally behind Wis. Gov. Scott Walker

GOP presidential hopefuls rally behind Wis. Gov. Scott Walker - On Politics: Covering the US Congress, Governors, and the 2012 Election - USATODAY.com

As the protests over Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's labor proposals continue, the newly elected Republican is finding some support from the politicians who want to replace President Obama.

USA TODAY's Judy Keen and Dennis Cauchon report today that the bitter dispute has implications for the 2012 presidential election, pitting labor unions and their Democratic allies against Republicans looking for ways to control rising costs for benefits for public employees.

So it's no surprise that some of the GOP presidential hopefuls -- many of whom have executive experience as governors -- have weighed in.

Walker, who was sworn into office last month, thanked them for their support during an appearance on Fox News Sunday.

Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels, a former White House budget director for President George W. Bush, whom Walker once described as a mentor, said the attacks on the Wisconsin governor are "predictable."

Daniels, who is among those considering a GOP presidential bid, said on The Diane Rehm Show on WAMU-FM that public employee unions have become the "privileged elite" in society.

Former Minnesota governor Tim Pawlenty ... has an online petition supporting Waker for "making tough choices needed to avoid financial ruin." Pawlenty also takes a swipe at President Obama, who last week said Walker's proposal "seems like more of an assault on unions."

Mike Huckabee ... a former Arkansas governor, said Sunday on Fox News that Obama "didn't have to go this far" in his critique of Walker's proposals, noting that the Democrat "would not be sitting in that office were it not for public sector unions who rallied for him in a significant way."

Mitt Romney ... formerly Massachusetts' governor, tweeted last week that Walker is "doing what's necessary to rein in out-of-control public sector pay and benefits."
Old 02-21-2011, 8:28pm   #29
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Why are you not organizing protests in TX, but speaking so loudly against WI?
who says I'm not protesting? read my earlier post.the WI fiasco is a blatant move to kill collective bargaining disguised as a budget technicality. WI was the very first state to implement collective bargaining for gov. workers. the asshole governor wants to score political points by erasing this legacy. ain't gonna happen.
Old 02-22-2011, 8:14am   #30
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
The reason your company is posting record profits is when your union sits down with the Management they are not able to supply votes to get him out or get him promoted.

Public employees have a power private union's do not have and it is used by both Dems and Pubs to advance Their careers.
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2011, 11:10am   #31
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Wink No Bid Contracts

http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/...hers-wisconsin
Old 02-22-2011, 11:15am   #32
Exotix
Banned

Time for a recall of neocon Gov. Walker ...
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46am   #33
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
And who is going to pay for the recall election? They don't have any money, remember?

You'll have to have a tax increase to raise money to hold a new election, and the voters don't seem to be too interested in raising taxes again, which is how Walker got elected.

I actually disagree with the union busting Walker is trying to push through, but agree with him that negotiating with the unions is optional. I also wouldn't let state resources go to automatically collecting union dues. You want to pay dues, fine, do it on your own time and dime.

Here's the job, this is what it pays, and these are the benefits. You want the job or not? Seems simple. Private sector folks whose employers aren't doing well face lower pay, job loss, or reduced benefits. This isn't a space alien idea. Paying everybody a little less is better for the workers, and better for the state compared to the option of mass firings, which is pretty much the other option.

All those folks that are unwilling to accept their job with the new reduced employer funded perks are free to go find another job. There are plenty of teachers getting laid off here in Texas (because we have a budget problem, too) that might like to apply for those jobs, which, coincidentally, pay a lot more than Texas teachers get.

These folks walking off their jobs reminds me of the old Crown Petroleum refinery here in Houston. Their employees went on strike for years. The company hired a new crew of willing workers, continued to operate, and I guess finally it dawned on the strikers that, hey, they no longer had a job. And guess what? If I was interested in hiring somebody that had several years of unemployment on their resume because they were striking, I wouldn't want to hire them either.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:03pm   #34
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Why? He told the people of Wisconsin he was going to cut spending and one of the ways he was going to do it was require public employees to contribute more for their pension and HC? He also said, before th elections, that he would suspend their collective bargaining rights.

He has done EXACTLY what he promised . He won .
Old 02-22-2011, 12:06pm   #35
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
he can't. the right to collectively bargain is a federal law & always will be. FECK that ignorant POS.
Actually I believe it's an executive order signed by JFK, for federal employees.

States, I don't know.
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:07pm   #36
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Why? He told the people of Wisconsin he was going to cut spending and one of the ways he was going to do it was require public employees to contribute more for their pension and HC? He also said, before th elections, that he would suspend their collective bargaining rights.

He has done EXACTLY what he promised . He won .
You have a point .. don't forget to read the fine print in the Wisconsin Legislature Special Session posted on post 20 ...
Old 02-22-2011, 12:42pm   #37
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
You have a point .. don't forget to read the fine print in the Wisconsin Legislature Special Session posted on post 20 ...
Please show me where?

My hope is that all public employee unions be decertified. Like FDR.
Old 02-22-2011, 1:26pm   #38
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Please show me where?

My hope is that all public employee unions be decertified. Like FDR.
Fine ... let's say Gov. Walkers' bill passes ... what happens next ?
Old 02-22-2011, 2:03pm   #39
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,455 Times in 17,246 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Fine ... let's say Gov. Walkers' bill passes ... what happens next ?
I would assume that the fundraising duties of the public unions would no longer be carried out by the taxpayers, for one.

I would also assume that the govt. workers would pay a bit more toward their benefits/retirement package than they do now, or quit and find a better paying job, if they can.

Why? What else would you expect to happen?

Coming from Texas, I just can't understand laws insisting on closed shops.

You have a right to work, you have a right to try and get all you can for your work, but really, forcing people to join a private club in order to work? I just can't understand that.

IOW, if I want to work in one of those closed shop states, and don't want to join a union, why should I not be allowed to work? That is the thing that is really screwed up.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 2:08pm   #40
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
I would assume that the fundraising duties of the public unions would no longer be carried out by the taxpayers, for one.

I would also assume that the govt. workers would pay a bit more toward their benefits/retirement package than they do now, or quit and find a better paying job, if they can.

Why? What else would you expect to happen?

Coming from Texas, I just can't understand laws insisting on closed shops.

You have a right to work, you have a right to try and get all you can for your work, but really, forcing people to join a private club in order to work? I just can't understand that.

IOW, if I want to work in one of those closed shop states, and don't want to join a union, why should I not be allowed to work? That is the thing that is really screwed up.
I was more wondering if Gov. Walker is gonna sell Wisconsin to private industry like Koch who needs to fire employees to make $11 Billion instead of $10.9 Billion and to collect more tax breaks ...

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion