Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2024, 7:43am   #1
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 77.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500
Default So, I got the free Full Self driving trial this morning

Tesla has a promotion to give every Tesla owner FSD for one month for free. They are doing this to collect more data. So, I used it this morning to get from my home to my daughter's school and then from her school to Wawa and then from Wawa back home. The system did NOT make any driving mistakes BUT it completely ignored school zone speed limits. Here in Florida, we usually have a flashing light combined with a school zone speed limit sign. So, whenever the light is flashing, you are supposed to go that speed. FSD did not care and kept on going at the normal, non school time, speed limit. While the system drove very good and obeyed all other system, this is still not ready for prime time. I'm glad that I'm not paying for it. I may consider it once it is out of beta. I reported the school zone incidents via the reporting feature that prompts you to explain why you disengaged FSD. Hopefully, the next update will fix the school zone issue. Other than that, I had no issues but the school zone issue is a big one. While I doubt that the car would hit a kid, it could cost you a high $$$$ fine if you get caught doing 45 mph at a 15 mph school zone speed limit.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 7:53am   #2
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 92.8%

Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,061 Posts

Send it down to Steve and have it take him to the drag strip. Maybe that will shut him up once and for all. I for one am sick of seeing his wife flipping off the tail lights. And his better than all attitude since he moved to the swamp side of the island. That would give him a reason to dust off his fire suit.
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Big bob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 7:58am   #3
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,787 Times in 2,827 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Tesla has a promotion to give every Tesla owner FSD for one month for free. They are doing this to collect more data. So, I used it this morning to get from my home to my daughter's school and then from her school to Wawa and then from Wawa back home. The system did NOT make any driving mistakes BUT it completely ignored school zone speed limits. Here in Florida, we usually have a flashing light combined with a school zone speed limit sign. So, whenever the light is flashing, you are supposed to go that speed. FSD did not care and kept on going at the normal, non school time, speed limit. While the system drove very good and obeyed all other system, this is still not ready for prime time. I'm glad that I'm not paying for it. I may consider it once it is out of beta. I reported the school zone incidents via the reporting feature that prompts you to explain why you disengaged FSD. Hopefully, the next update will fix the school zone issue. Other than that, I had no issues but the school zone issue is a big one. While I doubt that the car would hit a kid, it could cost you a high $$$$ fine if you get caught doing 45 mph at a 15 mph school zone speed limit.
You risked killing a kid and/or getting a big fine for an employer that convinced you to work for free.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 8:01am   #4
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 92.8%

Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
You risked killing a kid and/or getting a big fine for an employer that convinced you to work for free.

Reading is not your strong suit is it. I bet just the thought of all those little kids got you all in a tizzy.
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 8:02am   #5
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
no, I didn't risk anything. The trial is called "SUPERVISED" trial and you need to keep your eyes on the road (interior camera is watching your eyes). So, obviously, I stepped on the brakes and slowed to school zone speed limit. That's the way you are SUPPOSED to use FSD. It is BETA software and needs supervision. Tesla communicates that CLEARLY to users. You have to tap on AGREE that this is supposed to be supervised and you have to intervene if the system makes mistakes. You can choose NOT to use it if you are NOT comfortable doing that. The PURPOSE of the free trial is to gather data and fix issues like that. While I personally wouldn't pay $8k for FSD (unless it was out of beta and not requiring supervision), I'm more than happy to help making the system better by participating in the free trial.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:02am   #6
Onebadcad
Barn Stall Owner #116
Doesn't have a big thing
Activity: 99.8%

Thanked 9,503 Times in 4,778 Posts

Fine is $300 in your county for over 19 mph, that would have killed a few hot lunches.
Onebadcad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Onebadcad For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:10am   #7
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onebadcad View Post
Fine is $300 in your county for over 19 mph, that would have killed a few hot lunches.
I think that 30 mph over (45 in a 15 mph zone) would be arrest and thousands of $.. That's 3 times the speed limit.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:20am   #8
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 1,970 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
Didn't make any mistakes? Are you crazy? Ignoring the speed limit in a school zone is a HUGE mistake. Holy shit...you make excuses for Tesla all day long. I look forward to the day that a Tesla driver using FSD hits one of my cars. I'll sue the living fuck out of the cuck who thinks that he/she has no responsibility for controlling the car themselves and I'll sue the living fuck out of Tesla for thinking that using software is a legitimate way to control a potentially deadly weapon. Big fucking deal that you don't "think" that the car would hit a child. When one does, and it WILL happen, whoever is in the driver's seat NOT driving, will be in a world of hurt.
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to jw38 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:22am   #9
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
no, I didn't risk anything.
Yes you did. Had you been driving normally, you would have slowed down sooner. And you still worked for free.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 10:23am   #10
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
Didn't make any mistakes? Are you crazy? Ignoring the speed limit in a school zone is a HUGE mistake. Holy shit...you make excuses for Tesla all day long. I look forward to the day that a Tesla driver using FSD hits one of my cars. I'll sue the living fuck out of the cuck who thinks that he/she has no responsibility for controlling the car themselves and I'll sue the living fuck out of Tesla for thinking that using software is a legitimate way to control a potentially deadly weapon. Big fucking deal that you don't "think" that the car would hit a child. When one does, and it WILL happen, whoever is in the driver's seat NOT driving, will be in a world of hurt.
I said "DRIVING" mistakes, meaning it stayed in the center of the lane, stopped at every stop sign or red traffic light and did not have any hard braking events.
It's a DRIVING RULE mistake.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:24am   #11
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Yes you did. Had you been driving normally, you would have slowed down sooner. And you still worked for free.
No, I paid attention and when I realized that the car wasn't slowing down, I immediately did.
Old 05-16-2024, 10:34am   #12
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 29.1%

Thanked 1,970 Times in 771 Posts

Quote:
I said "DRIVING" mistakes, meaning it stayed in the center of the lane, stopped at every stop sign or red traffic light and did not have any hard braking events.
It's a DRIVING RULE mistake.
Like I said, you'll make excuses for Tesla all day long. Tell that to the judge when you run over a child in the school zone. "But your Honor, it wasn't a driving mistake. All it did was ignore a rule." You'll be able to save a lot of money on gas when you're in prison and the child's family takes everything you own.

Quote:
No, I paid attention and when I realized that the car wasn't slowing down, I immediately did.
I hope that makes you feel better, but it sure as fuck won't save you in court. I was paying attention, but I wasn't driving.
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 10:38am   #13
Vandelay Industries
Barn Stall Owner #14/32
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 13,379 Times in 5,115 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4810

Today I learned that controlling a the speed of a vehicle is NOT a driving skill.
Vandelay Industries is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Vandelay Industries For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 11:06am   #14
slewfoot
Barn Stall Owner #118
Activity: 62.6%

Thanked 2,090 Times in 1,236 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1002672

Quote:
Quote:
no, I didn't risk anything. The trial is called "SUPERVISED" trial and you need to keep your eyes on the road (interior camera is watching your eyes). So, obviously, I stepped on the brakes and slowed to school zone speed limit. That's the way you are SUPPOSED to use FSD. It is BETA software and needs supervision. Tesla communicates that CLEARLY to users. You have to tap on AGREE that this is supposed to be supervised and you have to intervene if the system makes mistakes. You can choose NOT to use it if you are NOT comfortable doing that. The PURPOSE of the free trial is to gather data and fix issues like that. While I personally wouldn't pay $8k for FSD (unless it was out of beta and not requiring supervision), I'm more than happy to help making the system better by participating in the free trial.

You realize you're explaining it to a doorknob?
slewfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to slewfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 11:09am   #15
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 24,171 Times in 10,964 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Interesting. But I have zero desire in having a self driving vehicle.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:13am   #16
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Again, you would have slowed down sooner had you not been doing Tesla's work, for free.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:13am   #17
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 92.4%

Thanked 33,903 Times in 11,916 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post
Today I learned that controlling a the speed of a vehicle is NOT a driving skill.
I'll use that as my defense if I ever get a speeding ticket. I'm sure the judge will dismiss the charges.
Steve_R is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 11:15am   #18
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
Like I said, you'll make excuses for Tesla all day long. Tell that to the judge when you run over a child in the school zone. "But your Honor, it wasn't a driving mistake. All it did was ignore a rule." You'll be able to save a lot of money on gas when you're in prison and the child's family takes everything you own.

I hope that makes you feel better, but it sure as fuck won't save you in court. I was paying attention, but I wasn't driving.
I'm not making an excuse. I'm pointing out an issue. The entire free trial thing is meant for exactly that. Finding issues with the system so that Tesla can improve their FSD software. I've said it before and I say it again. Unless this works flawless, I would not pay for it but I don't mind helping Tesla to gather data and find issues. YES, this is an issue and it's a good thing that people are finding issues as this is the only way that the system can get better. IT IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME right now.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:16am   #19
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Interesting. But I have zero desire in having a self driving vehicle.
With all the shitty drivers out there, I hope this technology becomes mainstream. Maybe then, the passing lane won't be full of drivers texting.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yadkin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 11:17am   #20
dvarapala
Barn Stall Owner #1120
NCM Supporter '20,'21
Activity: 82.7%

Thanked 18,808 Times in 8,333 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1030760

In for the vids.
dvarapala is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic