Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-16-2019, 8:31am   #1
04 commemorative
A Real Barner
Activity: 79.5%

Thanked 10,866 Times in 5,068 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1007997
Default 20 reasons for us all to feel older.....

20 everyday tasks that nobody does anymore

Daily necessities are vanishing one by one, thanks to new and efficient technology. Stamps, maps and cookbooks still exist, but we hardly ever need them. Why place a personals ad when you can just “swipe left”?

The standard electronics, gear and ways of yesteryear have vanished as if they were never invented at all. As old formats disappear, that leaves us with the task of what to do with our memories.

Even services that seem new are vanishing in the name of progress; Apple is killing off iTunes, for example.

Here are some rituals that are no longer required in many households. If you’re 40 years or older, you’ll probably smile with nostalgia. Share this list on social media. Others will enjoy this trip down memory lane too!

1. Memorize a phone number

Pop quiz: How many phone numbers do you know by heart? Some people don’t even know their spouse’s numbers. How times have changed. Now, you tell your smart assistant to call someone in your contacts, or you touch their name on your phone.

The earliest cellphones required you to transfer your entire directory by hand, from the old unit to the new one; now, with cloud technology, your contacts are automatically downloaded.

2. Use a phone book to find a company to do work around your house Generation Z may not even know what “Yellow Pages” refers to. They may not have ever seen a phone book.

Online consumer services like Angie’s List and Yelp have made finding service people easy, plus you can read other users’ ratings. One of the newer ways to find ultra-local services is Nextdoor, which has a special section for “recommendations,” along with crime watches and other local info.

3. Sell your car with a cardboard sign stuck on the windshield Unless you’re selling your vehicle to someone you know and trust, these transactions can get sticky and even a little dangerous, especially with all the trolls. Craigslist started more than 20 years ago, and it’s still going strong, although it, too, still suffers from trolls and weirdos.

4. Figure out math in your head

Few of us ever carried calculators with us to the grocery store. In contrast, pretty much everyone with a smartphone uses it to do basic calculations, no matter where or when you need it. In fact, you don’t even have to jab numbers anymore, physical or virtual: Tell Siri to solve a math problem, or command Alexa to do that pesky long division for you, along with countless other handy skills.

5. Call and ask a family member, “Where are you?”

Find My Friends changed the familysafety landscape by geographically connecting iPhone users. This app was a life-saver for parents with kids, adults taking care of aging parents, and countless others. Phone Tracker is a free app for iPhone and Android-powered phones that not only tracks location but also messaging and web activity.

6. Tell time by hands on a clock

Like cursive writing, analog clocks may be teetering on extinction. Few people with smartphones bother with watches anymore, unless they’re fashion statements or fitness trackers. With digital clocks dominating our computers and hardware, those 12-numeral timepieces may become pure novelties.

7. Make photo albums

It’s hard to imagine printing an image at a one-hour photo store, taking back your packet of 4-by-6 snapshots, and then meticulously pasting them into a faux-leather photo album. Given the ease of digital photography, and the innumerable images you could produce on a regular day, you’d fiŤll up entire shelves in no time.

Photo-sharing services like Flickr and Amazon Cloud have existed for some years, and now some apps will help you organize your photos and keepsakes, some of them from well known companies like CVS and Walgreens.

8. Have a CD or record collection

Wasn’t it cool back in the day to walk into a shabby-chic apartment and see those shelves of CDs? Wasn’t it a joy to flťip through boxes of vinyl records? Napster was the first sign that music could exist as a tiny, virtual MP3 file, and then iPods basically dealt the death blow.

Today, music exists as a digital index on a screen. Purists may love their turntables, but CDs have probably gone the way of the wax cylinder.

9. Make mixtapes

There was something so special about a mix tape. We spent hours finding the right song, then lining up two cassettes to copy a song. So many lovers cemented their relationships using a blank tape and a few dozen favorite albums.

Now, you can drag and drop a digital playlist in seconds.

10. Call a theater to get movie times

Back in the day, you’d dial a theater and listen to its endless-loop recording of movies and times. Sometimes, you’d catch it mid-loop and have to wait for it to start at the beginning to get all the movie.

With Google, type “movie times,” and the search engine will list fiŤlms based on your location. You can also ask your personal assistant, such as Google Home, what films are playing at the cineplex and what time they’re on, along with tons of other tricks and Easter eggs.

11. Record your favorite programs on tape All year, we’d wait for “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “The Wizard of Oz” to pop up on TV. When they did, we’d push a VHS tape into the machine and wait until the proper moment to press “record.”

When TiVo emerged, it streamlined this process by making scheduled recordings even simpler. Now, with streaming services, web archives and easy-to-purchase downloads, the timing of a broadcast barely matters anymore. But as you cut on the cord on traditional cable television, make sure you pick the services that best meet your interests and budget.

12. Watch shows when they are broadcast live In the same vein, we rarely have to sit in front of the television, eagerly waiting for a “major network event.” Services like Hulu and YouTube convert a huge amount of national television into a digital format, and local news stations log most of their important segments onto their websites.

13. Run to the store for a last-minute gift Curses! You forgot a Mother’s Day gift! Should you change your whole schedule so you can rush to the store and hurriedly pick something out? If you have Amazon Prime and live in an Amazon hub, there’s no need. You can order same-day delivery and have that gift couriered to your front door.

14. Cut things out of the newspaper

When I was a kid, my dad used to cut out articles from the newspaper and put them in my lunchbox. I miss those days. If Dad were still alive today, he’d do what most of us do: Tap or click a button to share content by text or email.

15. Send a handwritten letter

Don’t get me wrong: It’s still wonderful to receive a postcard from faraway places. You might say that email, texting and video conversations have made handwritten letters even more special. But no one is forced to transcribe his or her thoughts by hand and drop those letters in a mailbox. Heck, nowadays, we use voice dictation to write messages.

16. Looking up the spelling of words in the dictionary Spellcheck is nearly as old as word processors, and many of us have grown up expecting Microsoft Word to underline our mistakes in red squiggles. But autocorrect takes this concept a step further, guessing what we intended to write and correcting our errors.

This can be handy for clumsy thumbs, but it can be embarrassing when autocorrect guesses wrong.

17. Use a phone booth to make a call

Phone booths are making a comeback in open-floor-plan offices where there is no privacy. But rare is the phone booth where you handle a dirty phone and put in a coin to make a call. The last holdouts may be an airport or a particular part of town, but even international travelers can usually nab a SIM card the moment they step off the plane.

18. Carry cash

I remember my dad telling me, “Always carry a 10-dollar bill because you never know when you’ll need it.” In a world of debit cards and P2P apps (person- to-person), we rarely have to carry cash anymore. So what happens when your phone is dead, there’s no one around and all you have is a phone booth? Luckily, most public phones in the U.S. are outfitted with credit card strips.

19. Use a travel agent

Travel agents can be essential for elaborate vacations, but for general flťights, services like Kayak and Cheap-Flights have completely transformed how we book our passage. You can compare hundreds of airlines and agencies in seconds for the best deal. If you’d like to save even more, use Google Flights to find the cheapest airfare.

20. Getting your old checks back from the bank every month Oh, people still write checks, and physical paychecks are still routine methods of payment, but I doubt this antiquated practice will last much longer. Even depositing checks has become digitized, thanks to ATMs that scan the piece of paper and print a facsimile on your receipt.

That said, online banking does open a whole universe of security risks.
04 commemorative is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 04 commemorative For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 8:54am   #2
StaticCling
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,967 Times in 2,426 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $46509956

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04 commemorative View Post
1. Memorize a phone number

I know my wife's number, that's it. I still remember numbers of childhood friends from back in the day though.

2. Use a phone book to find a company to do work around your house Generation Z may not even know what “Yellow Pages” refers to. They may not have ever seen a phone book.

Haven't used one in years. When I get one at the house, it's tossed.

3. Sell your car with a cardboard sign stuck on the windshield...

I still see this from time to time...

4. Figure out math in your head

All the time, daily pretty much.

5. Call and ask a family member, “Where are you?”

Still do this?

6. Tell time by hands on a clock

With the exception of one alarm clock, all of the clocks in my house are analog...and most are actually mechanical as well. I still wear mechanical, analog wristwatches as well

7. Make photo albums

Nope

8. Have a CD or record collection

We have a lot of CD's

9. Make mixtapes

I have flash drives, same thing sort of...

10. Call a theater to get movie times

Rarely go to the movies

11. Record your favorite programs on tape All year, we’d wait for “It’s a Wonderful Life” or “The Wizard of Oz” to pop up on TV. When they did, we’d push a VHS tape into the machine and wait until the proper moment to press “record.”

No Answer

12. Watch shows when they are broadcast live In the same vein, we rarely have to sit in front of the television, eagerly waiting for a “major network event.” Services like Hulu and YouTube convert a huge amount of national television into a digital format, and local news stations log most of their important segments onto their websites.

I stream a lot of stuff these days...

13. Run to the store for a last-minute gift Curses!

No

14. Cut things out of the newspaper

No

15. Send a handwritten letter

Never!

16. Looking up the spelling of words in the dictionary

Do it all the time...

17. Use a phone booth to make a call

There are very few working phone booths these days...Kind of sad in a way

18. Carry cash
I carry cash 99% of the time. I prefer living analog. It's just my style.

19. Use a travel agent

My wife does.

20. Getting your old checks back from the bank every month

There is a scan of my processed checks on the bank website, if I need to print it for some reason, I do..
There ya go...
StaticCling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:11am   #3
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.2%

Thanked 5,435 Times in 2,934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Yup my 19mo old son wont do any of those, wont ever own a CD or cd player, will never do a lot of things we had to....but just imagine the things he and his geration will to do to in return!
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:15am   #4
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

TL;DR

snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 10:22am   #5
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 32,997 Times in 14,148 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

i always have some cash in my wallet or pocket (or both).
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 11:44am   #6
Datawiz
VB Dad of the Year
RDBM
Barn Stall Owner #9

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 28.4%

Thanked 21,043 Times in 8,310 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35999378

I always have $500-1,000 on me at most times.

Just counted...$595.
Datawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Datawiz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 1:01pm   #7
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 32,997 Times in 14,148 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by datawiz View Post
I always have $500-1,000 on me at most times.

Just counted...$595.

those are rookie numbers, you have to get those numbers up a bit!
DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 1:07pm   #8
Datawiz
VB Dad of the Year
RDBM
Barn Stall Owner #9

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 28.4%

Thanked 21,043 Times in 8,310 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $35999378

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

those are rookie numbers, you have to get those numbers up a bit!

I'll work on it. Next week when I come back to Jersey I'll have more.
Datawiz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Datawiz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2019, 1:34pm   #9
Dan Dlabay
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.2%

Thanked 5,731 Times in 2,515 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $875210

I still carry cash. Go to a cruise in or cars and coffee and you will see cars with for sale signs in the windshield. Still have and use my turntable cd player and cassette deck. Also still use my vcr and dvd players.
Dan Dlabay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 1:40pm   #10
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Our local coffee shop and my dog groomer only take cash.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 3:41pm   #11
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

I have had two 5 gallon containers since forever now....one is an old European farm milk container brass and copper.....the other is a white ceramic pot....used to be that every 5-10? years I would empty the brass one of the silver change, and toss the pennies into the ceramic one.....kept them inside the door of my house.....the pennies from the last ~45? years are still in the pot, not quite full yet.....REAL copper on the bottom 4-5 inches......

The last time I counted out the 'silver' change was maybe 20 years ago, wife and I dating then....so we sat there on the L/Rm floor and counted out some 3500 bux of change, rolled it up and to the bank....that last load took about ten years to accumulate.....

today the silver change occupies about 4" in the bottom of a ~6" cannon shell from WW2.....the pennies have maybe 2" in the bottom of a ~3" shell.....

does that tell us how easy plastic and Dig It All money spends????

mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 5:48pm   #12
Olustee bus
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,781 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1232517

You're a codger aintcha chinaski!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinaski View Post
There ya go...
Olustee bus is online now   Reply With Quote