Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-06-2020, 7:58am   #21
ToolMaker
Barn Stall Owner #97
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 1,021 Times in 555 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56470018

Great job Snake!!
ToolMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 8:24am   #22
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 21.9%

Thanked 33,735 Times in 12,291 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

Quote:
Wrote this song for CFOT

the sheer negativity there is not something I need.

Oddly, if I post up my art (music) I'm bragging. However, this rule doesn't apply to anyone else.

One douche bag actually got so butt hurt he said "You aren't that good"

dude; like... what did you expect?

Makes no sense to write a good song about CFOT, post it there, then be surprised about all the negativity flung your direction, then to complain about it over here.

Suggestion;
*make songs about places/forums that are friendly... and post it there.
*mention common things about the forum that you appreciate... that others can relate to.

More relateable content.... and posted on the friendlier venue.
Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Mercury For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 9:25am   #23
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 9,000 Times in 2,776 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $24717333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post

Makes no sense to write a good song about CFOT, post it there, then be surprised about all the negativity flung your direction, then to complain about it over here.

Suggestion;
*mention common things about the forum that you appreciate... that others can relate to.

That thread was fine. I was speaking generally. But I agree. I’ve been doing a lot lately to cut negativity out of my life. I stayed away from here too since many of the trolls came here. I expect them to show up in this thread eventually.

It is my hope that harassment won’t be tolerated here except for that one guy.

I can break balls with the best of them. But when every thread one posts turns into a contest to argue and belittle, it gets old.

I don’t get the fascination with people attempting to get someone to melt down. One must have a pretty pathetic life to get off on that. Luckily I’ve been around long enough to understand the game.

It’s not that I get butthurt. (I don’t) but it’s stupid.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 9:36am   #24
z06psi
Barn Stall Owner #∞
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 13,711 Times in 5,285 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $34677

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
That thread was fine. I was speaking generally. But I agree. I’ve been doing a lot lately to cut negativity out of my life. I stayed away from here too since many of the trolls came here. I expect them to show up in this thread eventually.

It is my hope that harassment won’t be tolerated here except for that one guy.

I can break balls with the best of them. But when every thread one posts turns into a contest to argue and belittle, it gets old.

I don’t get the fascination with people attempting to get someone to melt down. One must have a pretty pathetic life to get off on that. Luckily I’ve been around long enough to understand the game.

It’s not that I get butthurt. (I don’t) but it’s stupid.
#1 starts #2.

I am not musically talented so I have no good opinion to give but your skills sound good to me.
z06psi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to z06psi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 9:47am   #25
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

Quote:

I bust your chops,
but...

I've never criticized your musical chops....or anybody else's for that matter.
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strats-N-Vettes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 10:38am   #26
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,506 Times in 14,292 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

I can't carry a tune in a bucket, so who am I to criticize anyone's musical talent, or lack thereof.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:18am   #27
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,008 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
I bust your chops,
but...

I've never criticized your musical chops....or anybody else's for that matter.
Not even Kanye? I think he has a lot of talent, but he’s crazy as a loon, and his recent stuff is not as good as his early stuff IMHO. He is one hell of a producer and collaborator.
Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:26am   #28
Strats-N-Vettes
SOME Real Barner
Activity: 8.1%

Thanked 25,339 Times in 9,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2034428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Red L98. View Post
Not even Kanye?

I think he has a lot of talent, but he’s crazy as a loon, and his recent stuff is not as good as his early stuff IMHO. He is one hell of a producer and collaborator.

If I ever see Kanye play an actual instrument .... no.
Strats-N-Vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 11:37am   #29
Little Red L98.
A Real Barner

Thanked 14,748 Times in 5,008 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $894473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strats-N-Vettes View Post
If I ever see Kanye play an actual instrument .... no.
He is more of a producer/writer than a musician. I believe he has chops with keyboard instruments. He might be crazy but he’s no dummy. Just look at his Wikipedia page.
Little Red L98. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Little Red L98. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 11:50am   #30
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 16.9%

Thanked 16,884 Times in 6,874 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898

****'em. It's unlikely that any of them would do as well.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The_Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 12:31pm   #31
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Snik ain't no Kanye West.

And that's a good thing.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 1:56pm   #32
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 7.1%

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mercury View Post

Suggestion;

Who here is criticizing ?? Good tuneage Pete !!
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff '79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 7:50pm   #33
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
Who here is criticizing ?? Good tuneage Pete !!
Nobody yet. But I don’t mind criticizing. What gets old is people just looking for problems. Then doing it on every post one makes. I’ve been in the music business 40 years. I’ve been slammed every which way but loose. Hell I’ve had shot glasses thrown at me. my Les Paul bears the scars.

My producer is like Simon friggin Cowell. It truly doesn’t bother me. He makes me better. One doesn’t produce an album like my last one without being pushed and with honest criticism.

But I have to wonder about the moral character of someone who would be so derogatory. Even if I was terrible, it’s not something you should say about someone’s passion and art.

I did consider challenging said douche to an online head cutting contest. But I’m not competitive. (Any more. We used to have weekly head cutting sessions in Milwaukee. Absolutely brutal and in front of a live audience. You got judged by applause after the duel. Anyone could walk off the street and challenge the week’s king. So much pointless fun. I got smoked a few times by a guitarist nobody had heard of. Some kid named Kenny Wayne Sheperd.

The Following User Says Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2020, 8:00pm   #34
Dan Dlabay
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.2%

Thanked 5,731 Times in 2,515 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $875210

Sounds good and I like your style.
Dan Dlabay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dan Dlabay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 11:42am   #35
ThePirate
Barn Stall Owner #107
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1793

Excellent Snick. I only find one type of music that I can't find you playing- Bluegrass. An art form that never has gotten the overall praise it should get. Next time you play here humor me and throw in a little old, timey music. I'll be here "buck dancing" until the cows come home. Sing along it it also. I know that you can do it. Hell, if I can sound reasonable playing G - C- D- Am you would be the bomb and perhaps get you started on a new career.
ThePirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 1:30pm   #36
Jeff '79
Barn Stall Owner #2112
Fantasy Football Champ '14,'16,'20
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 7.1%

Thanked 10,607 Times in 6,383 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3043611

Quote:
Nobody yet. But I don’t mind criticizing. What gets old is people just looking for problems. Then doing it on every post one makes. I’ve been in the music business 40 years. I’ve been slammed every which way but loose. Hell I’ve had shot glasses thrown at me. my Les Paul bears the scars.

My producer is like Simon friggin Cowell. It truly doesn’t bother me. He makes me better. One doesn’t produce an album like my last one without being pushed and with honest criticism.

But I have to wonder about the moral character of someone who would be so derogatory. Even if I was terrible, it’s not something you should say about someone’s passion and art.

I did consider challenging said douche to an online head cutting contest. But I’m not competitive. (Any more. We used to have weekly head cutting sessions in Milwaukee. Absolutely brutal and in front of a live audience. You got judged by applause after the duel. Anyone could walk off the street and challenge the week’s king. So much pointless fun. I got smoked a few times by a guitarist nobody had heard of. Some kid named Kenny Wayne Sheperd.

Qusetions about your sonic settings aren't criticisms, just curiosity on your settings.
I find that half the fun of figuring out someone else's song is nailing the sonics.
I'd challenge anyone who criticizes your music to bring it on and throw one down to see how their song is.
That being said, criticizing ones art just comes with the territory. You gotta have thick skin because what's good for one person, may be the opposite for another.
Kinda like politics.
Jeff '79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 1:49pm   #37
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:

I've probably spent more time watching live music in small venues than most people have. While constructive criticism can be a good thing if honestly given and taken, my policy is I will always applaud for any one who just gets on a stage and gives it a try. And if I get a chance, at the end of the show I will personally thank them for making music, because it's a very big and important part of my life, even if I don't have the skill to play it.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2020, 7:11pm   #38
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff '79 View Post
Qusetions about your sonic settings aren't criticisms, just curiosity on your settings.
I find that half the fun of figuring out someone else's song is nailing the sonics.
I'd challenge anyone who criticizes your music to bring it on and throw one down to see how their song is.
That being said, criticizing ones art just comes with the territory. You gotta have thick skin because what's good for one person, may be the opposite for another.
Kinda like politics.
Exactly. You learn this early in Art School. If you don’t, you will never survive it. Particularly for commercial art. Until you learn to separate yourself from your art, the corporate world Will earth your ducking lunch. I’ve fired a hell of a lot of prima Donna artists that took things personally.

That’s why I’m absolutely bullet proof. I literally feel nothing if someone criticizes my work (visual, audio, film, design, whatever). Although it’s entertaining when some douch hole is criticizing when they can’t even stand on the same stage with you.

I’ve performed with seven different Grammy winners. (There I said it.) Said douche hole known as MagRedCorvette doesn’t qualify to even suck my dick.

Try working at that level. Talk about harsh assholes. Even the roadies are dicks. and some of them can play their asses off. I had a guitar tech that smoked my ass when I was with James Cotton.

I used to teach Graphic Design and Advanced Photography at the University of Wisconsin. The Dean told me my greatest strength was my (his words) “search and destroy” critiques. I spared no feelings because I ran an ad agency and Fortune 100 clients would chew us up and spit us out daily. I wanted to prepare those students for the real world. Most thought I was the biggest asshole that lived. A few “got it”. I usually hired them.
Old 08-07-2020, 7:21pm   #39
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePirate View Post
Excellent Snick. I only find one type of music that I can't find you playing- Bluegrass. An art form that never has gotten the overall praise it should get. Next time you play here humor me and throw in a little old, timey music. I'll be here "buck dancing" until the cows come home. Sing along it it also. I know that you can do it. Hell, if I can sound reasonable playing G - C- D- Am you would be the bomb and perhaps get you started on a new career.
Ha! A couple years ago I was invited to a private wedding of a major artist. He had two weddings, one public and one private. Of course the room was full of astounding players from all over the world. We jammed together in random groups until the wee hours. Then the acoustics came out and it was all bluegrass. My god it was fun.

I whipped off some lad fills and some chick with fluorescent hair from Hollywood said “holy shit, you can play that thing!” That felt good. Although she was pretty wasted. I surprised myself. When the feeling is right, it’s so easy to scorch.

One dude in a wheel chair started singing. Good lord! Unbelievable voice! Humbling for sure.

I don’t own an acoustic. But in seventh grade, my science teacher used to come in with his brother who played banjo. He played guitar and they would burn the bluegrass. I remember a song called “Mountain Dew”

My brother Bill runs a still on the hill
Where he turns out a gallon or two
And the buzzards in the sky get so drunk they can not fly
Just from sniffing that good old mountain dew.

They call it that old Mountain Dew
And those who refuse it are few
So shut up yer mug and fill up my jug
Of that good ‘ol Mountain Dew

Etc. that’s all I can remember. I love that stuff.
Old 08-07-2020, 7:37pm   #40
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic