Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-12-2024, 12:32pm   #81
Red Baron
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
I think the C3 is the best looking corvette ever made. They all have their design advantages and disadvantages, and of course some have mechanical advantages.
Do you currently have one? Did you own one in the past? Several?
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 1:53pm   #82
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 35.6%

Thanked 7,069 Times in 3,125 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
No, I just need a valuation on it......and on account of all the extended hobby time mods, it seems to have knocked value down, BUT IMO I have improved the car.....kant win.....

Can you give us some info on the engine and trans? Small block, big block? From the one pic of the interior, looks like an auto trans, yes? Is the drive train original?

What the car actually is will drive the value to a large degree. Once we have a baseline, then sure, folks will be dinging the price for mods they don't like, and want to reverse. This isn't the end of the world necessarily as something like that custom gauge cluster can be returned to basically stock for less than $1000 in parts, and my wife and I could knock out a project like that in a weekend so that shouldn't be a big hit. If someone hates the tail lights, it looks to me like we are talking body and paint work, and someone like me can't do that without professional help, so that would be a bigger hit.

I've seen '72 verts with NOM go for $20K+.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2024, 2:15pm   #83
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,470 Times in 10,626 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Do you currently have one? Did you own one in the past? Several?
I had a 1971 LT-1 convertible.
Of the 5 corvettes I’ve owned I probably should have kept the ‘71.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 2:30pm   #84
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 12.6%

Thanked 11,570 Times in 5,706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

As far as restoring, never will happen, like I said above......the ONLY thing stock is the chrome bumpers, and in fact one of the rears picked up a stratch fairly recently, and the front is too wide on the end tips....sticks out about 1.5 inches per side at the end tips....it is a replacement bumper.....engine is an aluminum headed roller motor, L98 cam, .030 over bore...serp drive, 200 r4 auto, used to be a stick shift 4 speed......4 core alum radiator.....dual spal fans, high amp alt ~105 amps.....nothing stock about steering/brakes/suspension
even the gas tank is modified......so are the gas lines.....pix shows total custom gauges.....steering wheel/column are from late shark, power added to windoze, it has DPFI on it from the start with ME, some 30 years ago.....but it failed and so I went AFB carb/intake when rebuilding engine 2-3 years ago......
A/C does not work, hardly needed, so did no bother last time around, like 2 years ago....hydro boost brakes, aluminum master cyl.....wipers are electronic controlled variable epeed, door opens/closed via motor not vacuum......vents removed from rear just aft of the top hatch door.... speakers are unused, in rear deck/wall just under the top hatch .....the green paint is NOT STOCK.....side scoops are modified, front grill is hand made by a welder buddy and I, lights are totally NOT STOCK.....LED lights for headlights.....etc....
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2024, 3:38pm   #85
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 28,006 Times in 11,834 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
I ask because I don't currently own a truck or trailer so if I bought it I would drive it home.
Why do you all feel the need to down on the car, and since he built it, MrVette too? I often feel like I somehow got transported back to the 6th grade when reading the comments here.
It's been an ongoing joke for many years. Nothing i havent said in person, either.

I also know a bit (a lot) of the motor history, what worked, and didnt along with who did the work and why.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2024, 7:43pm   #86
markids77
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.9%

Thanked 3,861 Times in 2,223 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1000483

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_Critterus View Post
It's been an ongoing joke for many years. Nothing i havent said in person, either.

I also know a bit (a lot) of the motor history, what worked, and didnt along with who did the work and why.
I remember that engine thread. And the FI vs Carby thread(s). Didn't remember the inside joke...
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2024, 8:38pm   #87
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,470 Times in 10,626 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
As far as restoring, never will happen, like I said above......the ONLY thing stock is the chrome bumpers, and in fact one of the rears picked up a stratch fairly recently, and the front is too wide on the end tips....sticks out about 1.5 inches per side at the end tips....it is a replacement bumper.....engine is an aluminum headed roller motor, L98 cam, .030 over bore...serp drive, 200 r4 auto, used to be a stick shift 4 speed......4 core alum radiator.....dual spal fans, high amp alt ~105 amps.....nothing stock about steering/brakes/suspension
even the gas tank is modified......so are the gas lines.....pix shows total custom gauges.....steering wheel/column are from late shark, power added to windoze, it has DPFI on it from the start with ME, some 30 years ago.....but it failed and so I went AFB carb/intake when rebuilding engine 2-3 years ago......
A/C does not work, hardly needed, so did no bother last time around, like 2 years ago....hydro boost brakes, aluminum master cyl.....wipers are electronic controlled variable epeed, door opens/closed via motor not vacuum......vents removed from rear just aft of the top hatch door.... speakers are unused, in rear deck/wall just under the top hatch .....the green paint is NOT STOCK.....side scoops are modified, front grill is hand made by a welder buddy and I, lights are totally NOT STOCK.....LED lights for headlights.....etc....
I think this is damn cool.
For a forum where there is often drama because of not enough corvette content, you’d think that the membership would celebrate this and not ridicule the guys Vette.
LATB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 7:08am   #88
Mick
A Real Barner
Activity: 35.6%

Thanked 7,069 Times in 3,125 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $12721

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
I think this is damn cool.
For a forum where there is often drama because of not enough corvette content, you’d think that the membership would celebrate this and not ridicule the guys Vette.
I agree, and think it is only a couple of guys "ridiculing" the car.

Obviously, Gene has done a shit ton of work on the car, and I believe it is a more solid and reliable driver car than most early C3s. Just out of general curiosity, I do follow the selling prices of chrome bumper C3s, so I was hoping I could help him at least a little, but a car that heavily modified is a part of the market that I really don't know anything about.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2024, 7:39am   #89
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 63.7%

Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,614 Posts

I guess my issue with the C3s is that they reached their heyday about the time I was finishing high school and EVERYBODY had one and the styling seemed a bit gauche and over-stated at the time.

If I had one now I could prob tolerate it without projectile vomiting.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:23pm   #90
WydGlydJim
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 15.8%

Mods are tricky......they can be done tastefully, or they can be a detraction..........why oh why would someone change one of the most iconic and beautiful rear tail light designs in automotive history to something that is not at all appealing? Again why in the world would someone change one of the most iconic, and cool head lamp assemblies like pop up headlights, to something that is not very desirable? painted C4 wheels, and one of the least desirable wheel designs of any Corvette out there, the C4 salad shooter......I personally like them well in stock fashion on a C4, but nearly any other wheel choice would be better on a C3....I could go on, but just suffice to say, nearly every mod done to this car is a negative, not a positive. that makes the market for it, very small. small markets require very aggressive pricing to move the item.....so..........$10k-12k tops. it is kind of a shame, the wrong direction, and length this car went in that direction.

WydGlydJim is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic