R.Zaragoza
Barn Stall Owner #0000
Activity: 0.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $260381
Default “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”

Houston News
Friday, June 17, 2011
“Why Aren’t You Speaking English?”
A Texas Senator is receiving praise and criticism.
By KTRH STAFF

During committee testimony this week in Austin, a Texas senator interrupted a Spanish speaker and telling him he should "be speaking in English" during a committee hearing.

Antolin Aguirre of the Austin Immigrant Rights Coalition was testifying against Senate Bill 9 that would help crack down on illegal immigrants in Texas. Aguirre spoke through an interpreter even though he had been in the U.S. since 1988.

Two minutes into Antolin Aguirre’s testimony, Sen. Chris Harris, a Republican from Arlington, interrupted asking Aguirre’s interrupter, "Did I understand him correctly that he has been here since 1988?" Harris asked. "Why aren’t you speaking in English then?"

Through his interpreter, Aguirre said Spanish is his "first language and since it is his first time giving testimony he would rather do it in Spanish."

"It is insulting to us," Sen. Harris fired back. "It is very insulting. And if he knows English, he needs to be speaking in English."

The fiery exchange happened on Monday during a Senate Transportation and Homeland Security Committee hearing. Law makers were hearing testimony on the purposed Senate Bill 9 – The so-called sanctuary cities bill. The bill would allow local law enforcement officials to check a suspect’s immigration status.

Supporters of Senate Bill 9 have said it would help crack down on illegal immigrants. Opponents argue that it will do little to help border security and that it’s instead based on racism.

Despite the blow-up The Texas Senate passed the bill Wednesday. It now goes to the House with a vote expected in the next few days.

Read more: “Why Aren’t You Speaking English?” | Houston News - KTRH NewsRadio 740 Houston News, Weather, Traffic
R.Zaragoza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to R.Zaragoza For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 7:59am   #2
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

Yawl; when in Texas … speak English
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 8:35am   #3
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,261 Times in 10,517 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
Yawl; when in AMERICA … speak English
fxt.

and, btw...it's Y'all. it can be Y'alls...or even all Y'alls...

but it's never Yawl.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 9:00am   #4
NB2K
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1545413

"It is insulting to us," Sen. Harris fired back. "It is very insulting. And if he knows English, he needs to be speaking in English."

Finally, someone with some balls.
NB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NB2K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 9:02am   #5
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 51.1%

Thanked 7,727 Times in 3,437 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by NB2K View Post
Finally, someone with some balls.
...and I'm sure the liberal idiots are already coming up with some way to sue him for discrimination.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 9:07am   #6
NB2K
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1545413

If I lived in Mexico (through some penalty from God) I sure as hell would speak Spanish.

This numb-nutted **** has the gall to be here 23 years and dares to speak before a governing body in his native tongue and bitch about how 'Merica was effing him?

F him.
NB2K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to NB2K For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 9:23am   #7
Yerf Dog
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,145 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $503566

I've never understood people not using the common language for the country they call home.

It's OK if you're visiting, but if you actually live and work there?
Yerf Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yerf Dog For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 9:40am   #8
ChasC5
Banned

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerf Dog View Post
I've never understood people not using the common language for the country they call home.

I think there ought to be a Law … Speak English or you’ll be placed on the ignore list.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:27am   #9
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerf Dog View Post

I am older than most here and can remember when immigrants came to the US (because it was a 'shinning beacon' and not for the purpose of being another drag on the US society but participating in making it better for all) shortly following WW II they were immersed, by their own volition, in learning English (American type).

I can recall several families displaced from Europe that lived in the area - they refused to speak in their 'native tongue' at home, or in public.

My S/O is from another country - she (and her brother) were brought to the US by the Federal Government and NASA.

She has a better grasp of the English language than I. She is a much better writer than I can ever hope to be. However, other than while she lived in Alexandria Egypt she never had an English lesion. In Egypt she attended the American HS, and that was her first time where she encountered education into the language.

The OP shows the need to make the OFFICIAL language of the USA English. Failing to do so leads to issues where even in basis transactions between US natural citizens and those from other countries breaks down - or is really an insult to the first party.

Oh, BTW I hate it when I call a US Government agency and get "Press two for Spanish" - for Christ sake this is the USA - not friggin Mexico.
AC54ME is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC54ME For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 10:28am   #10
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
I think there ought to be a Law … Speak English or you’ll be placed on the ignore list.
Old 06-17-2011, 2:29pm   #11
sanchez

Thanked 1,474 Times in 666 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3810387

I'm going to risk going against the grain here.

I don't think that Aguirre cannot speak english. Just that given the serious nature of the meeting he would prefer to give his responses in his native language. I think that people should speak english in the United States, but I also get that he may have been concerned about giving an incorrect statement due to a language barrier. If any of you have spoken to non-native speakers with any frequency you know that miscommunicaiton can happen.

It's happened to me personally when I travel abroad and I'm forced to speak spanish, and it has happened here in the states when I am speaking english to non-native engilsh speakers.

Very few people are truly fluent in multiple languages. You may be conversational, or able to conduct business, but if it is a very serious or stressful situation, mistakes will be more likely.

I'm just saying that there are two sides to every coin and this may not be as disrespectful as it's being interpeted at first blush.
sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 3:16pm   #12
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post

I don't think that Aguirre cannot speak english. Just that given the serious nature of the meeting he would prefer to give his responses in his native language. I think that people should speak english in the United States, but I also get that he may have been concerned about giving an incorrect statement due to a language barrier. If any of you have spoken to non-native speakers with any frequency you know that miscommunicaiton can happen.

It's happened to me personally when I travel abroad and I'm forced to speak spanish, and it has happened here in the states when I am speaking english to non-native engilsh speakers.

Very few people are truly fluent in multiple languages. You may be conversational, or able to conduct business, but if it is a very serious or stressful situation, mistakes will be more likely.

I'm just saying that there are two sides to every coin and this may not be as disrespectful as it's being interpeted at first blush.
I don't necessarily disagree with your statement, but I also believe that so much would be lost going through an interpreter.

If he's been here 23 years he should be able to express himself well enough in English...whether or not he can is another story.
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Fowler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 3:26pm   #13
bill_daniels
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,241 Times in 17,150 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchez View Post

That's a fair, well reasoned post. Perhaps the guy would have drawn less ire if he had started out with some kind of statement in English, then let the legislators know that he would be speaking through an interpreter for the body of his speech. IOW, play to the crowd, make some kind of utterance in the native language first. That seems to work for rock stars touring overseas.

Then again, hindsight is 20/20.
bill_daniels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 3:27pm   #14
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 51.1%

Thanked 7,727 Times in 3,437 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Sanchez... I agree 100% with what you said provided that he was not actually fluent in English.

I just have a very hard time believing that after 23 years this was the case.

I wonder how long the translator has been speaking both languages.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 3:46pm   #15
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC54ME View Post
I am older than most here and can remember when immigrants came to the US (because it was a 'shinning beacon' and not for the purpose of being another drag on the US society but participating in making it better for all) shortly following WW II they were immersed, by their own volition, in learning English (American type).

I can recall several families displaced from Europe that lived in the area - they refused to speak in their 'native tongue' at home, or in public.

My S/O is from another country - she (and her brother) were brought to the US by the Federal Government and NASA.

She has a better grasp of the English language than I. She is a much better writer than I can ever hope to be. However, other than while she lived in Alexandria Egypt she never had an English lesion. In Egypt she attended the American HS, and that was her first time where she encountered education into the language.

The OP shows the need to make the OFFICIAL language of the USA English. Failing to do so leads to issues where even in basis transactions between US natural citizens and those from other countries breaks down - or is really an insult to the first party.

Oh, BTW I hate it when I call a US Government agency and get "Press two for Spanish" - for Christ sake this is the USA - not friggin Mexico.
My mother came here after WWII. She and her mother spent 4 years in Auschwitz. They practically kissed the earth when they got off the ship in New York in 1949. The second thing they did was learn English and applied for citizenship. They were both proud to be naturalized Americans.

My mom...who spoke four languages fluently...was insulted when someone didn't speak to her in English.

There is a reason they called it "The Greatest Generation."
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Iron Chef For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 5:00pm   #16
LATB
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
My mother came here after WWII. She and her mother spent 4 years in Auschwitz. They practically kissed the earth when they got off the ship in New York in 1949. The second thing they did was learn English and applied for citizenship. They were both proud to be naturalized Americans.

My mom...who spoke four languages fluently...was insulted when someone didn't speak to her in English.

Old 06-17-2011, 5:09pm   #17
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:

I bet it was really special for her to be able to make that decision to get on the ship and go to where her will have a better life.

I wish everyone had that choice.
Old 06-17-2011, 5:20pm   #18
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 8.6%

Thanked 11,543 Times in 5,694 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:

NO shit, and one generation before yours too....

Thomas Edison

All products should say "Do not use if your stupid".....

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 5:26pm   #19
ChasC5
Banned

Thumbs up

One thing is true, good choices has privileges and wonderful rewards.
Old 06-17-2011, 5:41pm   #20
AC54ME
Barn Stall Owner #66

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4290

Quote:

I think you recall meeting my S/O.

Her parents were also in Auschwitz - her mother a French Freedom fighter, her father (originally a Kings Guard) a Yugoslavia Freedom Fighter.

This is where they met.

Following the war her father remained in a position (International Lawyer) for the Yugoslavia government - this provided the family the latitude to live in multiple countries in the '50's and '60's.

Her father was an amazing gentleman, and hated communists, and Tito. He and her mother eventually moved to France following escaping from Yugoslavia with their two children since the 'word' was out the children had been recruited by the US government.

Just amazing.
AC54ME is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion