Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2021, 9:02pm   #1
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 91.4%

Thanked 41,260 Times in 17,155 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default March Madness: Let's See if God is Actually Baptist

Baylor-Arkansas, on CBS now!

Sic' em Bears!
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 9:17pm   #2
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,508 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 9:22pm   #3
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

26-11 Baylor.

God's Chosen people, after being in the wilderness?
Old 03-30-2021, 7:21am   #4
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Was rooting for the Hogs. Son is a grad so gotta represent.

AND...as a true Horned Frog grad and booster...

F Baylor. To the moon. On a donut. At any time. In any sport.

That is all.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 7:55am   #5
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Was rooting for the Hogs. Son is a grad so gotta represent.

AND...as a true Horned Frog grad and booster...

F Baylor. To the moon. On a donut. At any time. In any sport.

That is all.
Well, sad to say, but most of the people I graduated with wouldn't send their own kids to Baylor at this point, things have changed, but then, they've changed everywhere, and not for the better. I was shocked when attending the Texas A&M graduation ceremony, and touring the campus. Progressive Marxist bullshit everywhere, and it seemed mainstream and accepted. At A&M.

Having said this, I'll choose to remember Baylor as it was, in the 80's, before they lost their way, and cheer them on. I have a soft spot for U of Houston too, since I live here, but that school has also gone woke. Either way it goes, I'll have a Texas team to support in the finals.

I don't know a whole lot about how TCU has or has not changed, but I did know a couple of folks in the band who went there, one of whom became a band director. And Ft. Worth is still considered a conservative area, so there's that.
Old 03-30-2021, 8:26am   #6
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Well, sad to say, but most of the people I graduated with wouldn't send their own kids to Baylor at this point, things have changed, but then, they've changed everywhere, and not for the better. I was shocked when attending the Texas A&M graduation ceremony, and touring the campus. Progressive Marxist bullshit everywhere, and it seemed mainstream and accepted. At A&M.
When my kids were looking at colleges, I told them that if they got the grades to get in I would, within reason, send them to the college of their choice. My daughter was telling me TCU since she was 4, so no-brainer there. My son looked around and I said that I refused to pay for Baylor or A&M because I don't want them attending a school that is, in my opinion, more cult than college. Fortunately he wasn't too keen on either of those schools. After the scandal that hit Baylor a few years back that got Art Briles tossed out, the rest of the country got to see first hand what a lot of people here knew all along...how full of shit the Baptists that run the show there are. It was embarrassing for any respectable Baylor grad to say the least IMO.

TCU has some "woke" aspects to it now, but I suspect it'll die down eventually when all of this nonsense becomes a bad memory because Ft. Worth is a lot more conservative. The chancellor is always sending out these hand-wringing emails saying how much better we need to do with inclusion. And of course they hired some black, overweight ex-football jock as the "Director of Inclusion." Seriously dude? You're running a campus that's 85% WASP and costs a small fortune to get in. Making sure that you have a good variety of entrees in the cafeteria is about as much inclusion as you're going to be able to get away with.

I did my undergrad at UTA, and they always send me newsletters with all this woke shit in it, then ask for donations. Meh...I don't think so. Maybe you can get Pelosi to donate to your cause.
Old 03-30-2021, 8:54am   #7
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
When my kids were looking at colleges, I told them that if they got the grades to get in I would, within reason, send them to the college of their choice. My daughter was telling me TCU since she was 4, so no-brainer there. My son looked around and I said that I refused to pay for Baylor or A&M because I don't want them attending a school that is, in my opinion, more cult than college. Fortunately he wasn't too keen on either of those schools. After the scandal that hit Baylor a few years back that got Art Briles tossed out, the rest of the country got to see first hand what a lot of people here knew all along...how full of shit the Baptists that run the show there are. It was embarrassing for any respectable Baylor grad to say the least IMO.

TCU has some "woke" aspects to it now, but I suspect it'll die down eventually when all of this nonsense becomes a bad memory because Ft. Worth is a lot more conservative. The chancellor is always sending out these hand-wringing emails saying how much better we need to do with inclusion. And of course they hired some black, overweight ex-football jock as the "Director of Inclusion." Seriously dude? You're running a campus that's 85% WASP and costs a small fortune to get in. Making sure that you have a good variety of entrees in the cafeteria is about as much inclusion as you're going to be able to get away with.

I did my undergrad at UTA, and they always send me newsletters with all this woke shit in it, then ask for donations. Meh...I don't think so. Maybe you can get Pelosi to donate to your cause.

I don't know when Baylor was ever a cult. I missed that, I guess. As to their downturn, it maybe started when they split from the Southern Baptist Convention. They were so eager to prove that they were not a Bible college, that they bit the hand that literally fed them. They did require a semester each of Old and New Testament survey, but they were taught mainly as historical works, what was going on at the time. All the kids who grew up in Sunday school thought they were going to be cake walks, until the first exams.

And with respect to sports scandals, you forgot about Iba's b-baller scandal. Turns out recruiting junior college thugs isn't a good idea. Drugs? Murder? Not really traditional values for Baylor. They also went on a massive building spree that skyrocketed tuition for the kids. When I was there, it was a US News & W.R. best value private school list. Now? Shit, you've got to be independently wealthy to send a kid there. Preachers' kids, getting funded by the local church? I don't see how they could swing it, unless they're missionaries for a megachurch. Kids from farming families? I don't see how they could swing it. It's sad, really.

As far as the football program, when Grant Taff left, it was obvious that winning was more important than building character, and the basketball scandal just proved that. I guess the alumni pressure to win overpowered what should have been the mission (pun intended).

Finally, as much as I used to poke fun at Oral Roberts U., I was actually hoping they would make it. Watching the country turn into a cesspool of filth and deviancy, I find myself trying to latch on to any vestige of the America I once knew.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 9:08am   #8
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
Finally, as much as I used to poke fun at Oral Roberts U., I was actually hoping they would make it. Watching the country turn into a cesspool of filth and deviancy, I find myself trying to latch on to any vestige of the America I once knew.
Couldn't agree more. It's a sad state of affairs. I'm not so much a basketball fan but it's good to see different schools in the Final Four for a change.

Sorry...didn't mean to hijack. I was being a dick.
Old 03-30-2021, 9:33am   #9
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. It's a sad state of affairs. I'm not so much a basketball fan but it's good to see different schools in the Final Four for a change.

No worries. Bottom line, I'll always root for any Texas team representing in the finals, whatever flaws the schools may have. Right now, I've got two.
Old 03-30-2021, 7:30pm   #10
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17

Quote:

Welcome back.
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:05pm   #11
TripleBlack
Barn Raising I
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 2,060 Times in 876 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $308343

I was raised in a Baptist church and always felt bad that Baylor was a doormat. I was excited when they began to rise up but then the thuggery began to surface in the early 2000s with the murder of one of the basketball player by a team mate. More recently I witnessed in person some of the dirtiest football I've seen by Baylor players.

To be fair, I think the football team took the blame for an ugly culture that the school ignored. The corruption didn't stop with the school... even the police in Waco were complicit.

I feel sorry for some good friends that are Baylor fans. Not sure the school will ever fully recover.
TripleBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TripleBlack For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 12:11am   #12
Anjdog2003
Due to inflation they are no longer free
Activity: 60.1%

Thanked 25,651 Times in 9,980 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $324490

U.C.L.A

My brother and son went there.
Anjdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 8:36am   #13
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by snide View Post
Welcome back.
I never left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleBlack View Post
More recently I witnessed in person some of the dirtiest football I've seen by Baylor players.

To be fair, I think the football team took the blame for an ugly culture that the school ignored. The corruption didn't stop with the school... even the police in Waco were complicit.

I feel sorry for some good friends that are Baylor fans. Not sure the school will ever fully recover.
There was certainly enough blame to go around. What really irked me more than anything else was the attitude of some of the fans. Briles and most of the coaching staff turned a blind eye to the whole incident, and then two weeks later the Baylor game was on National TV with people selling Support Coach Briles T-Shirts and putting up banners all over the stadium. The behavior of those fans reinforced the "win at all costs" culture you were talking about and made the team and school look bad on a national stage. Even Drayton McLane Jr., who the stadium is named after, called to put pressure on the University not to release the coaching staff. Seriously? I'm very surprised that the NCAA didn't invoke the Death Penalty like they did for SMU.

It was an awful thing to go through but at least they got to retain their football program and saw some success with Matt Rhule. I was really impressed at what he was able to do with a decimated team.
The Following User Says Thank You to Iron Chef For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 8:09pm   #14
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17

Quote: