Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion

C4 Open Discussion General and technical C4 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-19-2011, 7:23pm   #1
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 6,056 Times in 2,545 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9282448
Default Strength of the C4 Frame and the Van Steel QA1 Coilover

Ive been waiting for this one to come to an end but, other issues come up to the surface.

On October 2nd I was on a mountain run with few C5, C6 and Z06 and we had a blast. On
my way home I had my confidence too high and I was heading home like a bat out of hell on NOS.
There it was the double back-to-back curves waiting for me. I took the first one but,
The Ghost could not handle the second one and lost control.

bare with me, this one may be a bit long

This picture was taken facing the direction I was coming.

Once I lost control, The Ghost was taking the curve completely sideways, I turned
the wheel towards the slide but, the curve ended and it hit the berm.

Took that one down

That where it landed. Yes, landed and I will prove it to you.

There was dirt flying all over in 3D, I thought it was over; bent frame, destroyed front
end etc.. The Ghost was stock and on one side, the engine was running. I tried to take
off but, the tires were on the air. I stepped outside and it was covered on dirt but, there
was no damage to anything outside the car. No busted wheels or tires, no smoke and
I saw no gaps on the fiberglass.

I decided to do my best, using my hands I removed dirt from the front of the
tires, got back in, started the engine, turned the ASR off, 1st gear and...

...that son of a bitch took off like a rocket. I could not believe what I saw next, the
wheel was straight and it was driving straight. I drove another 25 miles, stopped at
the car wash and I removed at least 5 pounds of dirt off The Ghost. I did a visual inspection
and started to find problems.

The air dam is damaged. Already received the new one.

The fog light worried me, I thought the bumper was bent or the whole set up was cracked.

It was a rock between the light and the bumper, took it out and it snapped back in place.

Deep scratches

Besides the passenger side floor panel, Do you see anything else?

Heat wrap broke

Tires were good with plenty of thread

I stopped looking , I sent Bryan a PM and he gave me few guidelines and what else
to look for and went back looking for anything that would not be right.

Yep, found damage to the passenger side shock tower. The coilover set up did not
brake, it bent the shock tower.

Driver side

I spoke with Van Steel yesterday and he told me to take the whole thing out and inspect
for cracks or anything else that might have been damaged. This is how it looks without the coilover.

Another driver side

Well found few things there. The top of the coilover is not damage and it impressed
me how this aluminum part bent the frame upwards.

No cracks, no bends

Kaboom, Bad News- I compressed the shock and it didnt expand and even though it
doesnt look bent the shocks main body was rubbing against the coil.

This is the GPS tracker database. Note how I jumped off the road and back on that
angle about 5 feet from the road.

I put The Ghost on the lift and measured the way Bryan guided me and it was dead on.
It amazed me how strong this frame is. Note that I have the Camber Brace installed
and I bet the rigidity it offers helped to keep this bad boy in place.

Here I go again, more money to find to get this coilover replaced. If this goes
overboard, I still have the monospring set-up in my LTX Crate.

Last edited by PLRX; 11-28-2011 at 1:05pm.
PLRX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PLRX For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 8:03pm   #2
C4fan
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,418 Times in 706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $882805

Wow Pete, that could have been a lot worse. Lucky there wasn't a tree or something to greet you when you left the road. I've done the same thing before just never in a car that I cared much about. Glad your OK.
C4fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C4fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 8:59pm   #3
Wathen1955
A Real Barner
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 5,567 Times in 1,973 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1524159

Looked like there was a telephone pole in this pic that you missed:

Pete was showing me the damage on Sunday, and I could not believe it either: how the car was able to drive after that excursion, and only damage to the shock tower (visual inspection only).
Wathen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wathen1955 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 9:28pm   #4
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 87.8%

Thanked 7,705 Times in 3,420 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Contrary to how these things feel and act sometimes... they are tough mofos.

Hopefully that shock won't hurt the wallet too bad.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:12pm   #5
mike100
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2013824

well, you kissed the corner of the oil pan, but it's nowhere near the pickup screen- wouldn't do anything with it until the engine comes out someday.

I drove over a curb real hard one night w my old '95. it scratched up the bottom real good and I fiber-repaired part of the floor board, but it also did about damage to the skid bars and the air dam was pretty much done. Nothing else was damaged and it drove straight as it did before.

sometimes it helps to hit stuff fast because it pops up and bunny hops the initial obstacle.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mike100 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2011, 10:41pm   #6
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
well, you kissed the corner of the oil pan.
Oh that one was there when I bought it

Old 10-20-2011, 9:33am   #7
Sweet 90
A Real Barner

Thanked 2,737 Times in 1,318 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $741437

Just admit it Pete, you just wanted to try some off roading Good to hear you didn't bang up the Ghost too badly
Sweet 90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sweet 90 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40pm   #8
mike100
A Real Barner

questions:

1) So the passenger side went off first? (you were really rotated then).

2) How you gonna bend the shock tower? heat and hammer, or cut it off and have a junkyard graft welded on?
Old 10-20-2011, 2:20pm   #9
Vette Jockey
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $460853

Wow, Pete, that was quite a ride. It is a good thing you were O. K. Parts can be changed, people cannot

So, when did you change your shorts?

It is lucky you can do the checking yourself.
Vette Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 2:37pm   #10
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
questions:

1) So the passenger side went off first? (you were really rotated then).

2) How you gonna bend the shock tower? heat and hammer, or cut it off and have a junkyard graft welded on?
1. yes

2. debating that. Few people told me to leave it alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Jockey View Post
Wow, Pete, that was quite a ride. It is a good thing you were O. K. Parts can be changed, people cannot

So, when did you change your shorts?

It is lucky you can do the checking yourself.
Honestly, once all stopped I was kinda excited and already planning into transplanting everything into Betty Boop. Remember, I thought it was totaled.
Old 10-20-2011, 3:14pm   #11
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLRX View Post
2. debating that. Few people told me to leave it alone.
I've been thinking a lot about this... The more I look at the pics, the more I worry about going that route with it. If it wasn't a coil over setup I wouldn't worry at all. The shock is not actually integral to the structure of the suspension. As long as you get full travel and don't end up in a binding situation, you aren't changing anything at all.

With the coil-overs, that isn't the case. The shock/spring are on that same mount and it sees a lot more stress. They actually see a lot more stress than they were initially designed for.

The only question now is which way is stronger... fixing it, or leaving it as is? If you do attempt to fix it, you are either adding more bends, or introducing welds and cuts and drastically increasing the possibility for human error.

Driving it down the street should be zero concern. My hesitation would come if you start adding more stress, hard cornering, or even big bumps into the equation.
Old 10-20-2011, 4:52pm   #12
C4fan
A Real Barner

Thanked 1,418 Times in 706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $882805

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
I've been thinking a lot about this... The more I look at the pics, the more I worry about going that route with it. If it wasn't a coil over setup I wouldn't worry at all. The shock is not actually integral to the structure of the suspension. As long as you get full travel and don't end up in a binding situation, you aren't changing anything at all.

With the coil-overs, that isn't the case. The shock/spring are on that same mount and it sees a lot more stress. They actually see a lot more stress than they were initially designed for.
The only question now is which way is stronger... fixing it, or leaving it as is? If you do attempt to fix it, you are either adding more bends, or introducing welds and cuts and drastically increasing the possibility for human error.

Driving it down the street should be zero concern. My hesitation would come if you start adding more stress, hard cornering, or even big bumps into the equation.
I would say thats damn good advice.
C4fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 5:40pm   #13
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

I've looked at your pics over and over and if it were mine, I would get in there with a sledge hammer (no heat) and pound it back into place. After it was back where it should be, I would make a brace in the shape of an upside down U that fit over the top of it (with a hole in the top big enough that it wouldn't get in the way of the shock bolt. I would weld that in place and call it a day. I'd probably do both sides just so it looked the same...

Excuse my 3 minute drawing, but I think it gets the point across.

Old 10-20-2011, 6:16pm   #14
Vette Jockey
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $460853

Quote:
I've looked at your pics over and over and if it were mine, I would get in there with a sledge hammer (no heat) and pound it back into place. After it was back where it should be, I would make a brace in the shape of an upside down U that fit over the top of it (with a hole in the top big enough that it wouldn't get in the way of the shock bolt. I would weld that in place and call it a day. I'd probably do both sides just so it looked the same...

Nice
Vette Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 6:28pm   #15
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:

Bryan,

Im not doubting your advise. I keep hammering this on my head. If I pound it with a hammer, it will be all deformed (like Hokies 19" arms). If I use heat with a high temp torch (I have) would it weaken the tower?

The brace is a good idea and based on my driving style I must do that. I already know that every time I go out in The Ghost I break something. I make it home and I go thru the same phase "I got to slow the F down", it gets fixed and I go back out with the Riverside group ( a bunch of Z06) and hall ass again. Screw it, I dont do drugs, I dont play golf, I dont have a wife or child support.

I can go to the machine shop nearby and have the old man make the braces for me. He is good at it, he made the back brace for the rear coilovers and they are working great so far.

So Bryan, here is one for you. I tried the 3 lbs brass hammer, I only gave it a hard blow and didnt even move.

I mailed the coilover to Van Steel about an hour ago. I know this is going to be about $300-$500 MAX. I remove the drivers side and it is a good condition so Im keeping this one here. The braces, a welder to come over and do it in my garage. The air dam replica was $50, I would like to paint the front and lets hope the rack and pinion doesnt start to bother me later on in life.
Old 10-20-2011, 6:58pm   #16
mike100
A Real Barner

Now you know why I couldn't go out on a COR run...I already got two tickets this summer and I know those boys play a little hard. One guy does all the videos and he posted a couple of us using the whole road and we got a ration of shit from all the armchair internet experts about all of that.

I did find out that a regular C6 can't pull hard enough at 80-120 mph to overtake my ZR-1. Following a C6 Z06 is a little humbling though, isn't it? At least you crashed when nobody was looking.

When I curbed mine, I thought it was all busted up underneath too and was about ready to see what it felt like to get a DUI. The car was good- I rolled out- and that scared me enough to give up my Friday night drinking- or at least maintain a two beer limit.

As far as the shock tower, I guess I'd want to make sure the guy has a good 220v welder that will get the penetration into the frame to have a strong mount. The tires just hard blunt force dirt impact, you might be lucky and not even need to re-balance.
Old 10-20-2011, 7:09pm   #17
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Well its all my fault. Like I said earlier, I was over confident. The video that Sweet posted few weeks ago on the ZR1 the driver slowed down to 59 MPH to take a similar set of curves.

C6 ZR1 > Ghost

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup > Eagle F1 GS-D3

Professional Driver > PLRX

Track Condition > Low Life County Back Road

Professional Drivers Balls < PLRXs Balls

I know if I was driving that ZR1 I would have taken it at least at 70 MPH

Van Steel is great. He wants all details because he can tune the coilover for better grip.
Old 10-20-2011, 7:51pm   #18
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLRX View Post
[SIZE="4"]Im not doubting your advise. I keep hammering this on my head. If I pound it with a hammer, it will be all deformed (like Hokies 19" arms). If I use heat with a high temp torch (I have) would it weaken the tower?
I would put a piece of wood... 2x6 or something along those lines on top of the tower and wail that son of a b*tch with a sledge (not a 3 pounder). The wood will hit the vertical supports and stop it from going too far down.
Old 10-20-2011, 7:53pm   #19
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

... as far as heating it goes, I would not. Cold working metal keeps the properties the same. Hot working does not. If you want to get in there and add a LITTLE heat, you should be ok, but adding enough to make a big difference in the malleability of the metal isn't something I would do.
Old 10-20-2011, 9:25pm   #20
PLRX
Barn Stall Owner #120

Quote:
... as far as heating it goes, I would not. Cold working metal keeps the properties the same. Hot working does not. If you want to get in there and add a LITTLE heat, you should be ok, but adding enough to make a big difference in the malleability of the metal isn't something I would do.
noted

The Vette Barn > C4 Corvette > C4 Open Discussion