Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-10-2017, 4:35pm   #61
snide
Barn Raising II,III
NCM Supporter '13
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 53.6%

Thanked 30,508 Times in 14,293 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $108033784

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangkiller View Post
Yes, small engine and boost is a bad idea when a simpler larger engine makes more sense. For replacing Karen's car we've been talking about either a cts-v or perpaps a last model year SS. Notice a pattern? Besides my Jeep Cherokee I had at 15 and my Rx-7 I've never owned/driven anything but v8's.

I learned to drive in a suburban v8
Had a Jeep I-6 got rear ended before I turned 16
Bought a firebird v8
Replaced with rx7
Replaced with 99 Vette, eventually added a blower
Supplemented with a Tahoe 4x4 v8
Added a 2nd c5 convertible v8, sold after a year or so
Replaced Tahoe with Duramax 2500hd v8
Bought a c6 vert yup another v8
Replaced Duramax with Denali 6.2L v8

Call me a dumb redneck if you wish but at least I'm consistent.
I'm not seeing any Mustangs in that list...
snide is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to snide For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 5:18pm   #62
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 4,155 Times in 1,854 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2324642

Quote:
The 5.3L is paired only to the 6speed you have to step up to the 6.2L to get the 8speed.
Incorrect
C5SilverBullet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to C5SilverBullet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 5:22pm   #63
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Brand new Ford Explorer sport last spring. Even my father in law noticed it from the back seat.
Totally different version of the 3.5 than is in the truck.
Old 02-10-2017, 5:27pm   #64
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Yes, small engine and boost is a bad idea when a simpler larger engine makes more sense. For replacing Karen's car we've been talking about either a cts-v or perpaps a last model year SS. Notice a pattern? Besides my Jeep Cherokee I had at 15 and my Rx-7 I've never owned/driven anything but v8's.

I learned to drive in a suburban v8
Had a Jeep I-6 got rear ended before I turned 16
Bought a firebird v8
Replaced with rx7
Replaced with 99 Vette, eventually added a blower
Supplemented with a Tahoe 4x4 v8
Added a 2nd c5 convertible v8, sold after a year or so
Replaced Tahoe with Duramax 2500hd v8
Bought a c6 vert yup another v8
Replaced Duramax with Denali 6.2L v8

Call me a dumb redneck if you wish but at least I'm consistent.
Just because you prefer a V8, doesn't make everything else a bad engine, or a dumb idea.
Old 02-10-2017, 5:29pm   #65
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by erickpl View Post
I thought the newer Silverados and Tahoes etc had an 8 speed transmission... if you get the max trailering package, you even get 3.73 gearing.
You can get it on the Silverado, but not the Tahoe/Suburban. Max trailer on the SUV has the 3.42 rear.
The Following User Says Thank You to C5SilverBullet For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2017, 5:38pm   #66
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet View Post
Just because you prefer a V8, doesn't make everything else a bad engine, or a dumb idea.
Assuming they really did iron out the initial issues it's probably fine in its own right given the correct application, a full size SUV attempting to compete with the Tahoes, yukons, and Escalades is not the right application. As a consumer of large SUVs removing the v8 or larger option removes me as a potential customer. Done not interested, I think THATs the dumb move by Ford, they want to develop turbo technology that's great, but it's clearly not a one size fits all world, keep a large displacement option at least.
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 6:37pm   #67
C5SilverBullet
Barn Stall Owner #3
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Assuming they really did iron out the initial issues it's probably fine in its own right given the correct application, a full size SUV attempting to compete with the Tahoes, yukons, and Escalades is not the right application. As a consumer of large SUVs removing the v8 or larger option removes me as a potential customer. Done not interested, I think THATs the dumb move by Ford, they want to develop turbo technology that's great, but it's clearly not a one size fits all world, keep a large displacement option at least.
They sell like crazy in the trucks, and they offer more hp & torque than Chevrolet/GMC do with the 5.3L V8, by a lot. It isn't a one size fits all application, they have MANY different configurations with the turbo engines. The truck 3.5L and the car 3.5L are nothing alike.

If I could get the Suburban with a Ford 3.5L engine it would be perfect. I'm settling for the 5.3L because it is all they offer.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:40pm   #68
polarbear
A Real Barner
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,184 Times in 568 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013348

Quote:
Originally Posted by C5SilverBullet View Post
Have you driven one? They aren't laggy at all, and no problems with them either. The first year there was an issue, but have been great since.

I've been driving an Expedition for a week, MUCH better pickup that the Tahoe/Suburban.
I routinely drive them both. The Expedition is noticeably quicker. That being said... I like a V8 rumble.
polarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to polarbear For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2017, 8:12am   #69
09CTSV
Charter Member
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,686 Times in 652 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2106426
Default WOW good readings

Okay I'll jump. I am with Chris on this. I drove quite a few different vehicles before settling on the Yukon Denali. I didn't want to spend all the extra coin on the bling of a Denali but wanted the 6.2L and 8 Speed. I drove four different 5.3L with the 6 speed and did not like the lack of low end power. It felt like the truck was always not happy in any gear.
The Ford EcoBoost was good but I could feel the turbo lag. Maybe this is from having other forced induction cars like the CTS-V and not having the lag with the supercharger. The X5M had was a 4.4L with twin turbos and I could tell a definitive difference between it and the V in ramp up to power. I know the X5M was heavier, AWD etc..... but in ramp up of power, not speed, you could feel the difference between the turbo and a supercharger. With the EcoBoost engine I could feel the lag.
To be fair, I did test drive three different Explorers, a Yukon, Yukon XL, Denali, Denali XL, Tahoe, Suburban, Grand Cherokee, SRT Grand Cherokee and the Toyota. I didn't go back to a BMW because I just did not want to bring back my wallet again. Of them all the GM's with the 6.2L felt the best. The SRT was fun but there were definite quality issues just in the test drive. The Toyota felt like driving a brick in Flintstone mode. It was nearly as refined as the Ford or GM.
If any of manufactures could supercharge the small engines like GM did with the 3.8 back in the day, the lag would be gone and you would have more power.

Another item which hasn't been really brought up yet is direct injection. BMW has had it for years and they recently started to realize and understand the issues with it. The injectors will get clogged over time. BMW uses a walnut shell cleaning or something like that, too early to do a google search, too clean the intakes and injectors.

I did recently tow a tandem trailer with the Denali. It did okay but I wish for towing I had our old 3/4 ton Suburban back. The 8 Speed even in trailer mode did not like the extra weight being pulled along.

I agree with Chris on the service issues for GMC. Both dealers I've had service at I'd like to drop a steamy mully right on their door step to show the appreciation of their great service. I had to take the trim on the rear hatch apart and put it back together correctly after they replaced a roof rail. GM might build a good SUV but their dealer network sucks big donkey balls. The best dealer I've dealt with was a local Chevy dealership. The strange thing is I thought I'd have problems with them when I had the SS because the service manager and service writer were both from the Cadillac dealership I had so much problems with. Turns out it wasn't the people working but management as I found out when I bought the Denali from the clowns.
09CTSV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 09CTSV For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic