Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2012, 9:35am   #1
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902
Default The Immorality of What Mitt Romney is Selling

When will we face the fact that no one will ever cost us more jobs than Wall Street did in 2008-2010 and that no one will ever kill more Americans than the 45,000 who die every year for lack of insurance? Our enemies are corporate greed and those pretend that such greed is patriotism.

It’s easy to become distracted by Mitt Romney’s mendacity and obvious lies. I’m beginning to think this is his plan because, when you look at what Mitt Romney is offering the American people, the immorality of it is staggering.

Forget that Mitt Romney thinks the lesson of the Bush crash was that Wall Street should be regulated less, that Medicare needs to be privatized and cost more and that public education needs to be replaced with a giant taxpayer giveaway to corporate interests that will create even bigger disparities between the super poor and the super rich. Forget all that.

Look at two key points of Mitt Romney’s economic plan:

Households that earn more than $1,000,000 a year will receive an average $250,000 tax cut, an even larger tax cut than the unconscionably large Bush tax cuts for the rich
Government spending on programs on things like Pell grants, health care for poor kids and food stamps will be cut by 30 percent as the defense budget, which is already near $1,000,000,000,000, grows.

It is vile immorality to suggest that in the middle of a depression for the working class we should take from the general welfare of 99 percent of all Americans to transfer billions to the richest one percent.

George Lakoff is the Socrates of political framing in America. He points out that, when Democrats engage the progressive frame, they win. What’s the progressive frame?

Progressive morality fits a nurturant family: parents are equal, the values are empathy, responsibility for oneself and others, and cooperation. That is taught to children. Parents protect and empower their children, and listen to them. Authority comes through an ethic of excellence and living by what you say, rather than by enforcing rules.Correspondingly in politics, democracy begins with citizens caring about one another and acting responsibly both for oneself and others. The mechanism by which this is achieved is The Public, through which the government provides resources that make private life and private enterprise possible: roads, bridges and sewers, public education, a justice system, clean water and air, pure food, systems for information, energy and transportation, and protection both for and from the corporate world. No one makes it on his or her own. Private life and private enterprise are not possible without The Public. Freedom does not exist without The Public.

Simply: Progressives want everyone to succeed.

When we have a sense responsibility for our fellow citizens, the rich have compassion for the poor and the poor have respect for the rich. We have far too much of the latter and far to little of the former.

At least that’s how it seems, thanks to a few billionaires who seem bent on turning the middle class into an obedient workforce that takes what they’re offered and never expects to retire. In a culture of celebrity worship, we’re ever enamored of the constant carrot that you are truly just a temporarily embarrassed millionaire.

In America, we know where the balance of respect for success and concern for others exists. It’s when those who work hard can achieve and those who struggle are helped.

REMEMBER: This president did what no president in a century could. He did something about the thousands of Americans who die every year for lack of insurance. In addition, he’s made it his goal to forge a fairer society where the tide of war is receding. And he’s done this while inheriting a crisis and with no help from the folks that let the crisis happen.

The striking immorality of what Mitt Romney proposes and his lies about why we are in this crisis need to be issue in this election. The rich do not need tax breaks. Those struggling do need our help.

No one makes it on his or her own. The American Dream is not possible without without a thriving middle class. Freedom to become the best person you can possibly be should not be reserved for the few who won the lottery by being born. We all succeed when we all succeed together.

Mitt Romney’s vision of success just doesn’t include you. And that’s wrong.

http://eclectablog.com/2012/06/the-i...4CB1EsY.reddit
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 9:36am   #2
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,938 Times in 11,811 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Obamas vision of success doesn't include anyone but him.

And as much shit as i take for posting political stuff here, why did you put this drivel in the wrong section?
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 9:39am   #3
lander
A Real Barner
Activity: 13.1%

Thanked 1,530 Times in 799 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $402921

Good lord...I think that shit would keep my garden growing for years to come!
lander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lander For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 9:39am   #4
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 8,402 Times in 4,255 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

My problem with Romney is he's against abortion and birth control. More unwanted rug rats is not the answer. I'm voting Nutsack this year again.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VatorMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 9:40am   #5
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902

Sorry, meant to post this in PRC.
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 9:44am   #6
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 13,008 Times in 7,318 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Everyone should own their own home. Banks must be forced to loan money to those who can never repay because it's racist to deny them if they are a poor credit risk.

^^ it's crap like this that regulating industries, such as the loan business, produces.

Romney is smart enough to recognize that deregulation is the only sane thing to do if you're interested in good results... rather than just good intentions.

Obama... he, like most liberals who insist on seeing the world through rose-colored glasses, is not able to understand things like this.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 9:47am   #7
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,938 Times in 11,811 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
Everyone should own their own home. Banks must be forced to loan money to those who can never repay because it's racist to deny them if they are a poor credit risk.

^^ it's crap like this that regulating industries, such as the loan business, produces.

Romney is smart enough to recognize that deregulation is the only sane thing to do if you're interested in good results... rather than just good intentions.

Obama... he, like most liberals who insist on seeing the world through rose-colored glasses, is not able to understand things like this.
I've gotten to where I jsut don't bother to reply with much of anything to Phill's political posts. It does absolutely no good, anyway, with him.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 9:48am   #8
Kevin_73
Barn Raising I,II
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,019 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $313284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
Translation:
Liberals are scared their golden boy is going to lose the election, but they are still unwilling to admit that their idiotic economic policies of overtaxing the successful people so they can enable a large percentage of the population to sit on their asses isn't working.
Kevin_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kevin_73 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 9:55am   #9
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 13,008 Times in 7,318 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_73 View Post
Translation:
Liberals are scared their golden boy is going to lose the election, but they are still unwilling to admit that their idiotic economic policies of overtaxing the successful people so they can enable a large percentage of the population to sit on their asses isn't working.
except for one thing.

I believe it simply isn't possible to pay for the staggering amount of promised benefits through taxation. It must be borrowed, and since it can't be repaid, the national debt will just keep rising.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 9:57am   #10
jaxgator
Barn Stall Owner #99
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14

Thanked 2,434 Times in 1,743 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Marx
From each according to his ability, to each according to his need.
jaxgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 9:58am   #11
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post

And they want to blame Bush, but it's exactly that practice that got us into the recession we're still in. Bush was on the right side of that one.

Bush was a f'n idiot when it came to spending.

But the housing crisis is squarely in the court of the Democrats...not that anyone seems to remember it.
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:17am   #12
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

We're going to see a lot of this class warfare shit from the libs from here on out. Because...Dems are realizing Obama may lose, and Republicans are realizing that Romney may win.

"No one makes it on his or her own." Bullshit on this "it takes a village" mentality! I made it on my own, from dirt-poor Mississippi farm boy, to college, to law school, and now successful lawyer. There were no loans, no Government help, just me working 100 hours a week in the Summer to pay for my education.

I give to my Church and to charities, and I do civic work to help my community. I won't dwell on the huge amount of taxes I pay, or the fact that I will never see even 10% of the amount I paid in to Social Security. But libs want me to pay more! And do more! Help the lazy-assed parasites of society with more welfare!

Joe, do you feel sorry for my lot in life? I didn't think so. So...why should I feel sorry for welfare queens?
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lspencer534 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 10:19am   #13
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,544 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fowler View Post
But the housing crisis is squarely in the court of the Democrats...not that anyone seems to remember it.
Now, where would you come up with a silly idea like that? It was clearly the "1%ers" who conjured up the housing crisis......

Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 10:26am   #14
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534
just me working 100 hours a week in the Summer to pay for my education.
Ah, but don't you see the beauty of the entirely unreasonable rise in the price of college over the last few decades?

You used to be able to work and pay for your education. But the prices are now so high that you almost have to get student loans. And who controls the student loans? Oh, yeah, the federal government. Who sets the loan interest rates? Oh, yeah, the federal government.

Dependency, forced...

Do you hear liberals screaming about the price of tuition? Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama
I refuse to pay for another millionaire's tax cut by kicking children off Head Start programs or asking students to pay more for college
He's not talking about the price of tuition. What would a tax cut have to do with that? He's talking about student loan interest rates. The ones that the liberals managed to "force" the lower income students to take. The ones at interest rates the federal government set. The ones that the students took and agreed to.

It's beautiful!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:39am   #15
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
It is vile immorality to suggest that in the middle of a depression for the working class we should take from the general welfare of 99 percent of all Americans to transfer billions to the richest one percent

I do have to say whoever came up with this 1% versus 99% shit was absolutely brilliant. To say that when one person pays less tax that another less fortunate taxpayer has to make up the difference is based on static analysis, which is a faulty assumption. For this to be true, we would have to assume that wealth cannot be created, that there is a finite amount of it out there. In other words, who did Mark Zuckerman deprive to gain his billions from Facebook? Who did Bill Gates deprive to become a billionaire?
Old 06-15-2012, 10:50am   #16
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
I do have to say whoever came up with this 1% versus 99% shit was absolutely brilliant. To say that when one person pays less tax that another less fortunate taxpayer has to make up the difference is based on static analysis, which is a faulty assumption. For this to be true, we would have to assume that wealth cannot be created, that there is a finite amount of it out there. In other words, who did Mark Zuckerman deprive to gain his billions from Facebook? Who did Bill Gates deprive to become a billionaire?
Well said. Lib comeback: But because they're rich and they can afford it, they should pay some of it (actually, a lot) back to society. After all, the poor people made them rich, and they owe it to them! It's only fair! Who do they think they are, anyway? They're just evil!
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 11:06am   #17
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6

class warfare...the new race card
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Fowler For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 11:07am   #18
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
Well said. Lib comeback: But because they're rich and they can afford it, they should pay some of it (actually, a lot) back to society. After all, the poor people made them rich, and they owe it to them! It's only fair! Who do they think they are, anyway? They're just evil!
Thank you Larry.

As far as the lib comeback, it does sound "nice" in theory. It just never works out well in real life. Every time you take from someone and give it to "society"(read:government), it shrinks the private sector by a certain amount. That fact is ignored in the static analysis theories done by the left today.

President Kennedy lowered taxes and spurred the economy and brought in more revenue for the government.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18am   #19
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 42.4%

Thanked 7,738 Times in 3,446 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
To say that when one person pays less tax that another less fortunate taxpayer has to make up the difference is based on static analysis, which is a faulty assumption.
The problem is that liberals seem to be so simple minded that they are actually incapable of seeing things like this. There is zero consideration of second and third order consequences, much less things like dynamic analysis, etc because their minds apparently just don't work like that.

They quite simply don't get it. No matter how much logic and math you can put in front of them, they will always counter with unsubstantiated ideals. It is impossible (and absolutely pointless) to argue.

Ask a liberal to solve a system of differential equations and you will get an answer that includes unicorns.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2012, 11:37am   #20
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
The problem is that liberals seem to be so simple minded that they are actually incapable of seeing things like this. There is zero consideration of second and third order consequences, much less things like dynamic analysis, etc because their minds apparently just don't work like that.

They quite simply don't get it. No matter how much logic and math you can put in front of them, they will always counter with unsubstantiated ideals. It is impossible (and absolutely pointless) to argue.

Ask a liberal to solve a system of differential equations and you will get an answer that includes unicorns.
Well put and much more diplomatic than saying they are gullible and will believe any line of shit put out there by their leaders....

I make it a point to never argue with a liberal, and I have several good friends who are liberal. I will instead just keep asking them questions until they back themselves into a corner, which always happens. I have no interest in butting heads with them, I would rather get them to think a little bit.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion