Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C6 Corvette > C6 Open Discussion

C6 Open Discussion General and technical C6 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-2011, 8:29am   #1
wwomanC6
Charter Member
C6 Modulator
Barn Stall Owner #27

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 51.5%

Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,385 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100108568
Default Battery Drain

Symptoms - Get in and engine will not turn over, engine light on. Then start getting messages on display - Anti-lock brakes inop, Max Speed 80 MPH, Service eng soon. I open the door and hood.
The electrical sys will not turn off. I close the hood after looking at battery and eng.
I try again. Same thing, but this time the drivers window try's auto indexing and stops at 1/3 down. Then I close the door. Bad move! It will not open. Try to reach into the partially open window to push on the button to open the door. No joy! I'm now locked out of my Vette!
I get the other spare fob - still no joy. Car is still on electrically.
I can see the battery is draining. Lights on dash panel start flashing then go out and start button light is blinking, eventually it too dies.

After unlocking the trunk with the key and opening, I pull on the door unlock line in the back. Unlocks the door but it will not open

I have to crawl into the car and manually pull the door open lever on the floor by the seat to get it open.

I open the hood. Found a small amount of corrosion on the negative terminal. Clean it off and the re-hook up the battery leads. The lights in the car come on for a few seconds then dead again.

Removed the battery, and waiting for the auto parts stores to open and neighbor to get up for ride to the store. Its Sunday morning!

Hopefully replacing the battery solves the problem.

It is a Daily Driver, automatic, 2006 with AC delco EOM battery. Its a 6yr battery. It was due anyway I guess! Suck I had plans this morning!

Update to come.
wwomanC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 8:49am   #2
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 29.1%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,802 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwomanC6 View Post
Symptoms - Get in and engine will not turn over, engine light on. Then start getting messages on display - Anti-lock brakes inop, Max Speed 80 MPH, Service eng soon. I open the door and hood.
The electrical sys will not turn off. I close the hood after looking at battery and eng.
I try again. Same thing, but this time the drivers window try's auto indexing and stops at 1/3 down. Then I close the door. Bad move! It will not open. Try to reach into the partially open window to push on the button to open the door. No joy! I'm now locked out of my Vette!
I get the other spare fob - still no joy. Car is still on electrically.
I can see the battery is draining. Lights on dash panel start flashing then go out and start button light is blinking, eventually it too dies.

After unlocking the trunk with the key and opening, I pull on the door unlock line in the back. Unlocks the door but it will not open

I have to crawl into the car and manually pull the door open lever on the floor by the seat to get it open.

I open the hood. Found a small amount of corrosion on the negative terminal. Clean it off and the re-hook up the battery leads. The lights in the car come on for a few seconds then dead again.

Removed the battery, and waiting for the auto parts stores to open and neighbor to get up for ride to the store. Its Sunday morning!

Hopefully replacing the battery solves the problem.

It is a Daily Driver, automatic, 2006 with AC delco EOM battery. Its a 6yr battery. It was due anyway I guess! Suck I had plans this morning!

Update to come.
Sounds like you have a dead or nearley dead battery. These cars will do crazy things do to that reason.

I had a well known DBS 05 6spd M Vert and I put out hundreds of posts on another forum.

Considering IMHO GM makes shitty batteries you have done dam well to get that much batery life.

Easy fix and considering its a Vette CHEAP!

You should just have window index, but sometimes you also have to reset mirrors and seats.

Good luck, Dave
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 10:31am   #3
wwomanC6
Charter Member
C6 Modulator
Barn Stall Owner #27

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 51.5%

Thanked 7,063 Times in 4,385 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $100108568

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdC6 View Post

You should just have window index, but sometimes you also have to reset mirrors and seats.

Good luck, Dave
Thanks Dave! Battery fixed it. Reset mirrors and seats. Passenger window will not go the full up position, stops an inch short. Looked in the owner manual on window indexing. Did it and works now! Thanks!

wwomanC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wwomanC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2011, 12:00pm   #4
illmac77
Charter Member
The Chief
Barn Stall Owner #77
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $434

Was gonna say it's the battery. This heat is killing lOts of them
illmac77 is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > C6 Corvette > C6 Open Discussion