Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2009, 2:42am   #1
Culookin
Charter Member
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $802
Default Suggestions for VBOT Welcome

Hey guys, I think since this forum is so "new" that it is important to have a suggestions thread for OT. This deals with all areas, including threads (i.e. Good Mornings threads, Caturday, leg(hump) day, etc.), topics, and general ideas. Please be as open as possible, or PM Neutron or myself with ideas you want to keep offline. It's everyone's forum, so please chime in. Thanks!
Culookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:32am   #2
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916

My only suggestions are lets keep it laid back, and every one have fun as long as it stays work safe so the filters at some of the offices won't block it. (I use my personal laptop for work so it does not affect me, just thinking of the others)

Unlike over at CF, how about a little communication between the mods...it really annoys the heck out of me when one mod is right in the middle of the fun in a thread and another mod decides to lock it down

And if a thread is locked, post up in the thread maybe no who, but why...if we know why a thread is locked, we can try to avoid doing whatever it was that caused the lock again.

Virginia RatPack - Trouble Maker
Street Dreams Corvette Club
zz4vetteguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to zz4vetteguy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2009, 2:36pm   #3
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

Thanked 1,610 Times in 761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $173

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy View Post
My only suggestions are lets keep it laid back, and every one have fun as long as it stays work safe so the filters at some of the offices won't block it. (I use my personal laptop for work so it does not affect me, just thinking of the others)

Unlike over at CF, how about a little communication between the mods...it really annoys the heck out of me when one mod is right in the middle of the fun in a thread and another mod decides to lock it down

And if a thread is locked, post up in the thread maybe no who, but why...if we know why a thread is locked, we can try to avoid doing whatever it was that caused the lock again.
I'll talk to ya'll if ya'll talk to me... communications is two way.
We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.( T.Roosevelt)
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 6:50pm   #4
ApexOversteer
A Real Barner

Thanked 7,684 Times in 3,615 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $975924

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4vetteguy View Post
The "Babe Section" is not work safe, and never will be in this socio-political landscape.

Let's drop the pretending and create a new category called "Behind The Barn - NSFW". Move the Babe Section there and rename it "***The Babe Section***NSFW***" and then add another forum there called "***The Speakeasy***NSFW***", for threads deemed "too hot" for OT, but aren't exactly "Babe Section" worthy.

Put stickies at the top of both forums letting users know that these places should remain "PG13" (No nudity, no profanity in embedded videos), and that parents of children should be aware these sections exist and they are expected to take their preferred course of action in regards to that. Add a paragraph to the ROC we all agree to when we sign up, stating these sections exist and the user is expected to bear the responsibility of visiting them.

The only way we can keep the Babe Section is to put the responsibility for viewing it onto the user. To do that you have to smack them in the face with the fact its NSFW, over and over again.
ApexOversteer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ApexOversteer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2009, 7:19pm   #5
Skia
Rebel Mod
Barn Stall Owner #88
Activity: 2.0%

Thanked 2,791 Times in 1,320 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15450571

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexOversteer View Post
The "Babe Section" is not work safe, and never will be in this socio-political landscape.

Let's drop the pretending and create a new category called "Behind The Barn - NSFW". Move the Babe Section there and rename it "***The Babe Section***NSFW***" and then add another forum there called "***The Speakeasy***NSFW***", for threads deemed "too hot" for OT, but aren't exactly "Babe Section" worthy.

Put stickies at the top of both forums letting users know that these places should remain "PG13" (No nudity, no profanity in embedded videos), and that parents of children should be aware these sections exist and they are expected to take their preferred course of action in regards to that. Add a paragraph to the ROC we all agree to when we sign up, stating these sections exist and the user is expected to bear the responsibility of visiting them.

The only way we can keep the Babe Section is to put the responsibility for viewing it onto the user. To do that you have to smack them in the face with the fact its NSFW, over and over again.
WTF are you and what did you do with Apex???

That makes wayyyyyyy to much sense.
Skia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:55pm   #6
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

I'm with the Eyeball guy. That makes a lot of sense.

One thing I'd like to see is when threads get locked - and it will eventually happen - PLEASE Mr. Moderator explain why the thread's getting the boot.
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BuckyThreadkiller For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 1:20pm   #7
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

OK...a few things come to mind as a former mod at CF:

1) Don't try too hard to be the judge of what is and is not in good taste and family friendly. IMHO, the minute that Jesse and Jim started with the family friendly nonsense (which, by the way, was their own big idea and not based on anything sent down by IB), CF went into a nosedive. There are things that will obviously be in bad taste, and 95% of the population can figure this out. The other 5% should be locked up.

2) Remember that this is an adult forum (or at least it should be). Apex is right. If kids wander in here, it isn't your problem to save them from themselves. It's their parents problem for not keeping an eye on them. And as Tuk has pointed out to me on many occasions, internet forums tend to be very good at policing themselves. You don't have to go in and referree every conflict. There ARE exceptions however (and you knew this was coming...):

3) It doesn't take a genius to figure out if you're dealing with a pedophile, sexual predator or internet stalker. And what to do with those types of people should be pretty easy to figure out, unless of course you fancy yourself as some sort of de facto arbiter of good taste and have a huge ego to massage (GB, Neutron and the others never struck me as being that way however). People like that should be dispatched quickly and without fanfare. As Spock said: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one." Stay true to the people who are true to you.

4) Don't be too concerned about not having drama. Internet communities have drama. Period. People's feelings will be hurt from time to time and you can't stop it, and the more you try to stop drama, the more you'll have (and the more resentment you'll build in the process). Let the self-policing aspect do its thing and you'll save yourselves many headaches.

5) Don't let yourselves be owned by advertisers or sponsors. Trust me when I tell you that there were some CF vendors that were as big or bigger sh!theels than many members.

That's it for now. Thanks for listening.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Iron Chef For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2009, 2:04pm   #8
Neutron
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1297

I absolutely agree with everything Chef said. I'm glad so many here are on the same exact page, even Todd.

Repped and thanked, Mike.
Neutron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 2:28pm   #9
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
OK...a few things come to mind as a former mod at CF:

1) Don't try too hard to be the judge of what is and is not in good taste and family friendly. IMHO, the minute that Jesse and Jim started with the family friendly nonsense (which, by the way, was their own big idea and not based on anything sent down by IB), CF went into a nosedive. There are things that will obviously be in bad taste, and 95% of the population can figure this out. The other 5% should be locked up.

2) Remember that this is an adult forum (or at least it should be). Apex is right. If kids wander in here, it isn't your problem to save them from themselves. It's their parents problem for not keeping an eye on them. And as Tuk has pointed out to me on many occasions, internet forums tend to be very good at policing themselves. You don't have to go in and referree every conflict. There ARE exceptions however (and you knew this was coming...):

3) It doesn't take a genius to figure out if you're dealing with a pedophile, sexual predator or internet stalker. And what to do with those types of people should be pretty easy to figure out, unless of course you fancy yourself as some sort of de facto arbiter of good taste and have a huge ego to massage (GB, Neutron and the others never struck me as being that way however). People like that should be dispatched quickly and without fanfare. As Spock said: "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few...or the one." Stay true to the people who are true to you.

4) Don't be too concerned about not having drama. Internet communities have drama. Period. People's feelings will be hurt from time to time and you can't stop it, and the more you try to stop drama, the more you'll have (and the more resentment you'll build in the process). Let the self-policing aspect do its thing and you'll save yourselves many headaches.

5) Don't let yourselves be owned by advertisers or sponsors. Trust me when I tell you that there were some CF vendors that were as big or bigger sh!theels than many members.

That's it for now. Thanks for listening.
Holy ****... some common sense! You should run for public office
2001 Quicksilver Z06 - NASA PTA/TTA/ST2 #4
www.carsandcoffeevirginiabeach.com
April 7th, 2012 7:30am-9:30am @ La Promenade
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 2:40pm   #10
Iron Chef
Barn Stall Owner #1
Barn Raising I, II
NCM Supporter '11, '12
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 8,649 Times in 2,906 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2299270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutron View Post
I absolutely agree with everything Chef said. I'm glad so many here are on the same exact page, even Todd.

Repped and thanked, Mike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra4B View Post
Actually, most people who have a lot of common sense would run FROM public office. But thanks for the compliment.
Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 2:50pm   #11
NikiQ
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #100
Barn Raising I,II,III

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2706

Quote:

...or a mod....
NikiQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 2:51pm   #12
VatorMan
Barn Stall Owner #122
NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'17
Activity: 5.8%

Thanked 8,408 Times in 4,256 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1158963

Hard to believe that came from someone that bought a Dodge.
VatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 2:58pm   #13
Cobra4B
Charter Member
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8830

I know... it was a joke reflecting my dissatisfaction w/ the current crop of politicians in DC!
2001 Quicksilver Z06 - NASA PTA/TTA/ST2 #4
www.carsandcoffeevirginiabeach.com
April 7th, 2012 7:30am-9:30am @ La Promenade
Cobra4B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 5:46pm   #14
CertInsaneC5
Barn Stall Owner #68
NCM Supporter '11
Bantayan Kids '14,'15

Thanked 2,573 Times in 1,706 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $79329724

Please whatever you do. Do not cater to the whinny azz biothces. If they get their panties in a wad over every little bit of sarcasm or ribbing they should not be posting on an internet forum. .02$ deposited.
CertInsaneC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 7:12pm   #15
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertInsaneC5 View Post
Please whatever you do. Do not cater to the whinny azz biothces. If they get their panties in a wad over every little bit of sarcasm or ribbing they should not be posting on an internet forum. .02$ deposited.
NNo doubt.

(that wasn't a typo)

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 7:33pm   #16
DropTheTop
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #777

Location: If they told you that wolverines would make good house pets . . . would you believe them?
Thanked 1,414 Times in 928 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6589249

Quote:
Originally Posted by CertInsaneC5 View Post
Agreed! Repeat whiners should get three steps toward the door:
1.) Loose post points earned, from each bogus reported post/thread.
2.) Rep points set back to zero.
3.) Time off.

DropTheTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 7:21pm   #17
zz4vetteguy
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9916

Quote:
Don't encourage him...