Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-08-2023, 11:31am   #41
Dan Dlabay
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.2%

Thanked 5,731 Times in 2,515 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $875210

Sorry to hear this. I know what you are going threw. year ago I was told I had stage 4 lung cancer. I am now dealing with brain cancer. With my wife and families help I am fighting this. May God bless you.
Dan Dlabay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dan Dlabay For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 9:30pm   #42
BADRACR1
Barn Stall Owner #5150
Bantayan Kids '17
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,507 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2000032332

Best of luck to you.
BADRACR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 8:03pm   #43
dwjz06
Dogface
Barn Stall Owner #409
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 5.4%

Thanked 13,571 Times in 6,535 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2450928

Yes it sucks. Just finished 6 weeks of radiation a couple months ago. Good luck with yours
dwjz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwjz06 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 1:33pm   #44
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 1,360 Times in 532 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Thanks to everybody for all the comments so far. I trust my group of doctors, and given the utter crap the first doctor I went to was, see this as my second group of doctors. The cancer center is next door to the hospital I was in, and 2 miles from my house. I dug deep in internet reviews and all the doctors and groups are highly regarded.

Some of this is easier, as my wife started her work life as a Clinical Lab Scentist (Lab Tech) at Loma Linda University Medical center. She understands and can explain what all lab test results mean, so that gives a lot more information than emotion to work with.

My biggest issue thus far has been internal bleding, keeping me highly anemic. Norla range is around 12-14, and have been as low as 5.5. Bloodtransfusions happen lower than 7.0. I now have biweekly iron transfusions to pump up my red blod cell count, and am seeing improvement. The approach is to get the infection out of the blood (also improved) and make me stronger to better handle chemo and radiation.

I don't know how else to say it, but there has been an unexpected "Hand of the Divine" in this whole thing. Had my wife not accepted a new job she was scared to try, her old insurance wouldn't have slightly dealt with this, not to mention pay. As it is, much streess is off us with the benfits of her new employment. In addition, I have had to take Uber rides for dressin changes for my Picc Line, and had a number of profoundly direct conversations with some drivers. A couple of which have been down my road. It's clearly like I was meant to meet and speak with these people. One had a survivor story that should be a movie, and pictures and documents on his phone to prove his story. He advated for something called "Rick Simpson Oil", which is a high grade CBD/ THC oil. I spent a lot of hours online and reading books over the last two weeks about it. Thus far all my doctors have said they have seen great benfit in patients who use it in addition to normal treatment....so I am looking at a emedical card to get it. I have actually had THREE out of the blue people I don't know advocate for RSO in public situations. If the Lord gives you a hint, I feel best to not ignore it.

Not sure if I have anything good to sell, but honestly worry about if I don't pull through what my Wife would do with so much stuff of great value to me. 20 years ago I got rid of 90% of what I owned, haven't bought mush since, but I'm sure much fof what is left would be useless for her. Current issue is trying to get a timing chain replaced on my old F-250 to bring it back to life. It doesn't look good as a garden decoration in the front yard....

Monday will be some sort of fancy endoscopy with ultrasound, Tuesday another Oncologist in the same office about biopsies and things I can't remember now. By the end of the week the training for Chemo will happen and I think the details to make up a chemo potion for me wll be done. Superfrustrated to be missing a couple concerts we've had tickets to for almost a year since I can't stand outside at a show for many hours....
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Chemtrails99 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 1:40pm   #45
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 48.6%

Thanked 4,315 Times in 1,965 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Following this thread closely!!!

Two F250's! Does it equal 500?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4114.jpg  

Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 1:52pm   #46
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
Following this thread closely!!!

Two F250's! Does it equal 500?
I think in my case having two would equal F-175, because at least I would have one to tow the other around....!
The Following User Says Thank You to Chemtrails99 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 1:53pm   #47
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 52.9%

Thanked 23,948 Times in 9,944 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

I'd swing by do the timing chain if I could man.
Many years ago a very young lady at rec center we goto was diagnosed with breast cancer, her husband dumped her when she got the news. I provided whatever guidance I could, she had to drive to Duke which is 2 plus hrs and I made her get her mom to stay with her and drive during treatments. I'd check in on her every time I saw her, looking into her eyes and at hands. She was anemic and how the one check on her and was treated that afternoon.
I don't know why I interjected myself into her life even just for a short time frame, one day I saw something wrong with her and just did. I'm not sure why she confided in me either, it was just a moment in time we collided. Her prognosis was very good as it was a precautionary round of chemo, I lost touch with her after a year or so but she was doing well last I heard.
Perhaps if nothing else I helped her mentally knowing people were in her corner.

Anywho... You're lucky your wife can translate the test results as it's a confusing nightmare.

Praying for your recovery my man.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 1:58pm   #48
Don Rickles
Mr. Warmth
Activity: 48.6%

Thanked 4,315 Times in 1,965 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2001216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 View Post
I think in my case having two would equal F-175, because at least I would have one to tow the other around....!
What year is you bomber? What motor?
Don Rickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 2:06pm   #49
ricks327
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 10.4%

I like your proactive, positive attitude. Stay strong!
ricks327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 2:46pm   #50
markyerger
Barn Stall Owner #86
Activity: 1.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1004058

Sorry to hear this.

I was diagnosed with tongue cancer in May.
My doctors were very aggressive.
Had entire tongue removed May 18th, along with a lymph node, a salivary gland and my tonsils on my left side.
They cut me ear to ear - pretty much decapitated me.

While on second week of chemo and radiation I developed a bacterial infection around the surgery site and the treatments have been on hold for 2 weeks.
Starting treatments back up August 14th and they will continue to about the end of September.

Cannot swallow so I have a gastro tube in which I supply myself with all my fluids and nutrients.
I haven't eaten or drank anything by mouth since the surgery.
Really don't know if I will ever be able to again.
Food is everywhere on TV - it drives me nuts
Even McDonalds commercials makes me crave a quarter pounder and fries and a chocolate shake.
I still enjoy my morning cup or two of coffee, that I put into my stomach with a syringe. I have to be satisfied with just smelling it since I can no longer drink it.
Other than that I syringe a formula into me that supplies me with all my nutrients.

And I can no longer speak either with the loss of the tongue.
They took muscle from my thigh to create a "flap" or a "tarp" that is in place of where my tongue was.
To "fill the void"

Keep fighting your cancer.
Stay positive.
You will have down moments and you will have optimistic moments.
Use all your energy for the optimistic moments.

I honestly wish you the best
markyerger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to markyerger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 2:48pm   #51
The_Dude
Barn Stall Owner #113
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 29.9%

Thanked 17,027 Times in 6,946 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $306898

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyerger View Post
Sorry to hear this.

Had entire tongue removed May 18th, along with a lymph node, a salivary gland and my tonsils on my left side.

While on second week of chemo and radiation I developed a bacterial infection around the surgery site and the treatments have been on hold for 2 weeks.
Starting treatments back up August 14th and they will continue to about the end of September.

Cannot swallow so I have a gastro tube in which I supply myself with all my fluids and nutrients.
Even McDonalds commercials makes me crave a quarter pounder and fries and a chocolate shake.
I still enjoy my morning cup or two of coffee, that I put into my stomach with a syringe. I have to be satisfied with just smelling it since I can no longer drink it.
Other than that I syringe a formula into me that supplies me with all my nutrients.

They took muscle from my thigh to create a "flap" or a "tarp" that is in place of where my tongue was.
To "fill the void"

Stay positive.

Damn
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The_Dude For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 2:52pm   #52
Rodnok1
A Real Barner
Activity: 52.9%

Thanked 23,948 Times in 9,944 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $315482

Quote:
Sorry to hear this.

To "fill the void"

Stay positive.

Good luck to you my man.
Rodnok1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 2:57pm   #53
MTPZ06
Barn Stall Owner #119
Activity: 100.0%

Thanked 2,376 Times in 937 Posts

Quote:
Sorry to hear this.

To "fill the void"

Stay positive.

Wow. No idea what to say, other than I wish you the best in your recovery efforts.
MTPZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 3:25pm   #54
ricks327
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 10.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTPZ06 View Post
Wow. No idea what to say, other than I wish you the best in your recovery efforts.
ricks327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 3:26pm   #55
cptlo306
Senior Lurker
Barn Stall Owner #95

Thanked 1,217 Times in 584 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $750520

cptlo306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 4:04pm   #56
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Rickles View Post
What year is you bomber? What motor?
It's a 1993 F-250 long bed 4 x 4 with a 460. Headers, Upgraded ignition and a recently rebuilt front end and new shocks, 6 inch lift and matching wheels and tires. Was marching through small repairs and it up and stopped running. It's got inition, fuel and tries to start. Around 175k on engine, but ran so clean in California it easily passed smog. Might have had a top end at some point? Meant as a work/ bugout truck if the weather goes south, not a daily driver anymore. Most local shops say it's too old to work on (meaning: we can't figure it out without a fancy computer and codes to tell us what to do...). IN white epoxy primer and looking sad, but has much going for it. Stuck in front yard is becoming an issue....
Old 08-10-2023, 4:07pm   #57
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner

Quote:
Sorry to hear this.

To "fill the void"

Stay positive.

Praying for the best for you!

I understand about seeing food. My Wife is Fillipino, so she kept trying to feed me when I couldn't swallow at all. She finally was in tears and said, "But I'm Fillipino, the way we tell somebody we love them is to fed them!". I worry more for her than myself through all this.

I respect you for all you've gone through, let's hope your past the worst part!
Old 08-10-2023, 4:21pm   #58
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 6.8%

Thanked 33,025 Times in 14,165 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

i wish you well in your comings weeks and months.

one practical thing to make sure you have done: make sure your wonderful wife knows about your finances. where the accounts are, how much should be in them, life insurance policies, retirement plans, etc.

when my dad was nearing his end, he and I (as executor) sat down and he listed out (i took very careful notes) all his accounts, so i'd know where to find things and claim benefits he was due (by this time, my mom had passed away, so i was next in line). helped close out his estate quickly.

for a married couple (such as myself before my wife Linda passed away last year), it's much simpler, but still good to know what's what.

DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 4:53pm   #59
MikeB
Barn Stall Owner #115
Activity: 8.3%

Thanked 4,975 Times in 2,248 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $610854

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
Damn
For sure.
I missed this event, both here and there.
Prayers for both you, Chemdude, and Dan.
I'd like to wish I've seen enough of this stuff (stage 4 C), but alas,
one's story is only the tip of the iceberg.

If Chemtrails wasn't so far away, I'd definitely do the
timing chain thingy (ever think about gear drive, just for the sound?).
I have the time, but need to be at home for other extended family deeds
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2023, 4:54pm   #60
markyerger
Barn Stall Owner #86

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1004058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemtrails99 View Post
Thus far I hear chemo for sure, and probably radiation. It's in espohogus and stomach, with a fear it may be in lymph nodes. Tests and biopsies next week. Have a couple friends who swear "Rick Simpson's Oil", a type of CBD oil, saved them when they had cancer. One had tons of photos an timeline showing it's effect. Dr has said no problem and that won't damage anything they plan to do.

Having lost too many friends to illness of all sorts, it's good to remember that mankind is at it's most advanced state for treatments in history and improving every day.
Like I mentioned in my post, my doctors were very aggressive with me.
Instead of just taking the cancer area off my tongue and leaving me with 1/3rd of an existing tongue, they removed the whole thing and anything else near it.

Their thoughts were to get all of the cancer out, plus anything near it.
They are hoping I will be cancer free after just one round of radiation and chemo.

If they took only 2/3rds of my tongue, then I would have multiple rounds of chemo and radiation, which leads to other problems down the road.

I went to the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia.

Maybe your doctors could remove as much of it as they can???
markyerger is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic