User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-20-2010, 8:19pm   #1
Exotix
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $0
Default (R-Ms.) Gov. Haley Barbour ~ *The Lighter Side of Racial Segregation*

Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour defends Miss. school integration account.

Today

Barbour defends Miss. school integration account

Haley Barbour accused of praising 'racist organisation' - Telegraph

Haley Barbour winks and nudges at the ol' White Citizens Council folks again | Crooks and Liars

WASHINGTON -- Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour, a potential Republican presidential candidate, rebutted critics Monday who said he is sugar-coating his state's history of racial integration.

At issue is the January 1970 integration of public schools in Barbour's home town of Yazoo City, when he was 20.
Historical accounts confirm the schools integrated peacefully, as Barbour stated in a recent profile in the Weekly Standard magazine.

Some liberal groups, however, said his comments skimmed over the segregationist role played by so-called Citizens Councils in the state.

Asked by the magazine why Yazoo City's public school integration avoided the violence seen in other towns, Barbour said: "Because the business community wouldn't stand for it.

You heard of the Citizens Councils ?
Up north they think it was like the KKK.
Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders.
In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town."

A January 1970 Time magazine article about Yazoo City said, "local white leaders began more than a month ago to prepare their city for the shock of final desegregation.
A loosely knit committee of prominent whites met with the city's whites, urging them to support the public schools rather than abandon them."

Several liberal bloggers Monday said Barbour left an inaccurate impression of Mississippi's local Citizens Councils, which sought to thwart integration in many areas.
However, the white supremacist groups had their chief influence in the 1950s and early 1960s, years before the Yazoo City schools integration.

In the Weekly Standard profile, Barbour said he remembered Martin Luther King Jr. speaking in Yazoo City in 1962, when he would have been 12 years old.
He said he did not recall King's words.

"The truth is, we couldn't hear very well," Barbour said.
"We were sort of out there on the periphery.
We just sat on our cars, watching the girls, talking, doing what boys do.
We paid more attention to the girls than to King."

A quick data base search found records of King speaking in Yazoo City in 1966, when Barbour would have been 16, but not in 1962.

Calls to Barbour's press office were not immediately returned.

But his spokesman Dan Turner told other news outlets that the governor is not racist and he was commenting on specific events in Yazoo City, not on the broader Citizens Councils movement.

2012 POTUS Hopeful ...

Mississippi Republican Gov. Haley Barbour tells NPR's All Things Considered today that he was "shocked" to discover three weeks ago that the Coast Guard had no way to effectively coordinate hundreds of vessels deployed to fight the Gulf oil spill ....

"No one has more to lose on this well than BP."

Mississippi Governor 'Shocked' By Coast Guard's Gulf Spill Coordination : The Two-Way : NPR

Exotix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Exotix For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2010, 8:37am   #2
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

What a moron
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 8:57am   #3
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
What a moron
Goes to the *platform of the *new* conservative bizzaro* ... here we have some'ol white southerner running on a 2012 POTUS platform of lying what went down 40-50 years ago or *re-inventing* the Civil Rights era ...

.. or, it's rascist to call rascists rascist ... happens on CFPR&C everyday ...
Old 12-21-2010, 9:06am   #4
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320
biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exotix View Post
Goes to the *platform of the *new* conservative bizzaro* ... here we have some'ol white southerner running on a 2012 POTUS platform of lying what went down 40-50 years ago or *re-inventing* the Civil Rights era ...

.. or, it's rascist to call rascists rascist ... happens on CFPR&C everyday ...
If they’re thinking there a bunch of pissed-off bitter old has-bens; wait until the Hispanic populating starts putting the foot firmly in their racist azz. Their world is getting so small, that maybe Succession is the only way to go. I say, pack your ball and bat and go to a other country … it ain’t like we’ll miss yea.

That idiot SeaFive doesn't even know when I'm agreeing with him and taking his side, that it's me just Forking with him.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 9:16am   #5
Exotix
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
That idiot SeaFive doesn't even know when I'm agreeing with him and taking his side, that it's me just Forking with him.
I tell ya ... this is the damndest funniest thing the exotix ever saw or heard ... you just can't get any better than that on the internet(s) ...

Old 12-21-2010, 1:17pm   #6
Exotix
Banned

Barbour walks back comments on civil rights era

Just In

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news...vil-rights-era

After coming under fire yesterday for his remarks about the civil rights movement, Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour has issued a statement to clarify his recollections of "Citizens Council" groups and segregation in the South.

Barbour said that the council groups were "indefensible" and called segregation "a difficult and painful era for Mississippi."

Here's Barbour's full statement:

“When asked why my hometown in Mississippi did not suffer the same racial violence when I was a young man that accompanied other towns’ integration efforts, I accurately said the community leadership wouldn’t tolerate it and helped prevent violence there.

My point was my town rejected the Ku Klux Klan, but nobody should construe that to mean I think the town leadership were saints, either.

Their vehicle, called the ‘Citizens Council,’ is totally indefensible, as is segregation.

It was a difficult and painful era for Mississippi, the rest of the country, and especially African Americans who were persecuted in that time.”

In the article in the Weekly Standard released yesterday, Barbour described a distinction in his hometown between the "Citizens Council" organization and the Klu Klux Klan.

"Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders," he said.
"In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town.

If you had a job, you’d lose it. If you had a store, they’d see nobody shopped there.
We didn’t have a problem with the Klan in Yazoo City.”

Speaking about the height of the civil rights movement in the piece, Barbour said, "I just don’t remember it as being that bad."

The comments drew skewering from historians, who noted that the Citizens Councils were anti-integration entities founded in opposition to the Brown v. Board of Education decision in 1954.

.. *I'm coming clean because I'm unable to plead *it was taken out of context* like the rest of my party has done ... but I'll save it for next time* ...

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion