Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-29-2014, 8:47pm   #41
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 21.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,228 Times in 4,391 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
I've had tuna sushi off a fish on the gaff and still gasping air on the aft deck.

I win
I was on a 3/4 day boat one day and cut the back slab off of a Bonito that was still on my hook and chowed down. Tasted great! Guy next to me blew chunks when he saw me do this
ZipZap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 8:49pm   #42
LATB
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Thanked 23,690 Times in 10,740 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

If have to be stranded at sea and starving to eat Bonito
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LATB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2014, 8:53pm   #43
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Island14 Cardio Team
Activity: 21.2%

Location: A sympathetic, well-meaning, elderly man with a poor memory
Thanked 9,228 Times in 4,391 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $23236

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsAtTheBeach View Post
If have to be stranded at sea and starving to eat Bonito
You just need to cut around the blood meat. I have come to enjoy several mackerel species raw. It is a bit stronger than white meat fish, but as long as the pieces are cut correctly, it is delicious.
ZipZap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 9:18pm   #44
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.7%

Thanked 33,090 Times in 14,180 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxAg View Post
It's supposed to be positioned to be middle/upper class.

And the new CEO is an idiot if he thinks this statement is true:
"At the end of the day, people are not going to go a Chipotle for their anniversary or their birthday," he said.
I offered to take Mrs. DAB out last year. She thought it was a great idea. So I dropped her off at Wendy's with $10. And told her I needed the change back.

Well, something like that.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 9:35pm   #45
Craig
Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 1.1%

Thanked 3,559 Times in 1,955 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1037769

We haven't had a meal there in years, used to be great, just kept getting worse and worse and we just gave up.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 2:20am   #46
Black94lt1
Barn Stall Owner #13
Barn Raising II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 2,642 Times in 1,956 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $425244

RL has progressively gone down hill for the last 20 years or so. I remember going there way back when and the food was good quality but any memory since the 90s is small shrimp, bad sauces, bland sides, poor decor, etc etc etc.

And to think my wife likes the place, but she is obsessed with the fact that going out to eat, no matter where, is a good thing. I focus on quality food and would rather not eat than eat at a crappy restaurant
Black94lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 5:19am   #47
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
There's no Red Lobster near me, but I went to one once. Not very good.

If they want to upscale the place they could start by not having some one come to my table and say "Hi, my name is Brad and I'll be your server". I mean no shit, I thought you were going to wash my car. Then don't try to upsell me at the table, and don't stop by every three minutes to see "how are we doing?"
Hi! My Name is Tim... and I will be eating here tonight...

Their service was nice though, you wont get service like that around here.... most places take your order, bring it an hour later, never ask if you want drinks or desert..

And you about have to go chase them down to get the bill to pay when you are finished eating.
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 5:23am   #48
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black94lt1 View Post
RL has progressively gone down hill for the last 20 years or so. I remember going there way back when and the food was good quality but any memory since the 90s is small shrimp, bad sauces, bland sides, poor decor, etc etc etc.

And to think my wife likes the place, but she is obsessed with the fact that going out to eat, no matter where, is a good thing. I focus on quality food and would rather not eat than eat at a crappy restaurant
I was surprised to see everyone here dogging Red Lobster..

I have not been to one in over 20 years but always enjoyed the food there back then.

From reading this thread it sounds like they have gone to hell since..

They use to make a real tasty Margaretta also, and we looked forward to going there, or our favorite Steak House quite often.
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 7:47am   #49
wicked_c6
Bantayan Kids '14
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4160

Quote:
It's supposed to be positioned to be middle/upper class.

And the new CEO is an idiot if he thinks this statement is true:
"At the end of the day, people are not going to go a Chipotle for their anniversary or their birthday," he said.
I'm spoiled then... In my line of work I get taken out to quite a few dinners. My upper class/scale is a Chop House I visited 2 weeks ago. $80 21 day dry aged, bone in, rib eye, sided with a 3lbs (yes 3 lbs) South African lobster tail. With sides, and appetizer for 8 people the tab came to over $1300. Our waiter was outstanding, all our food came at once and was set down at once, and we never waited for anything we needed more than a minute.

That was high end service.
wicked_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 8:10am   #50
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

I can say from experience that the Alaskan spot shrimp is a whole 'nother level above any other shrimp I've ever tasted. Not something I'd want all the time - they are very rich - but delicious and worth the *high* price for special occasions. That said, fresh Gulf shrimp are very good too, but there really is no comparison between the two. It would be like comparing Patagonian tooth fish (AKA "Sea Bass") with catfish. Sure, both can be very good but totally different taste profile.

That said, Red Lobster sucks. We have one about a 1.5 miles from our house and can't remember eating there in at least 20 years or so. Same with Olive Garden.
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 8:49am   #51
MrPeabody
A Real Barner

Thanked 12,309 Times in 5,942 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2214590

Quote:
They're trained to inform you who they are and they are your server because any of them could be bringing you your food, refilling your drinks, etc. Plus if they suck, you know who to complain about. Or if they did a great job, whom to compliment.

Hmmm...car washing and dining. Now add hot girls in skimpy clothing... Oh I think we might have a winner here!

They're trained to do both. In fact upselling is a good way for them to make money. They just ask for if you want desert and rattle off a few of the good sounding (and most profitable) items. If they can get a desert menu in front of you, the odds increase dramatically of you buying one.

Stopping by every three minutes to ask how things are going is a bit over kill. However they are again trained to check on their guests to make sure everyone is having a pleasant experience.

I don't have a problem with either so long as it is done in a well balance way. Too much can get annoying. Too little makes it see like the server (and thus the restaurant/company) doesn't care. It's not easy to balance as each person/group is different.

BTW I used to work for one of the largest hospitality companies in the US so I'm not just pulling this out of my arse.
I know they are trained to do that stuff. Car salesmen are also trained to do all the annoying stuff they do, too. That doesn't mean the customers will like it, and I think that's the important thing.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 9:10am   #52
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
You just need to cut around the blood meat. I have come to enjoy several mackerel species raw. It is a bit stronger than white meat fish, but as long as the pieces are cut correctly, it is delicious.
One of the best sushi experiences I ever had was at a place in Pittsburgh (yeah, Pittsburgh! ) that had just got in some fresh mackerel and was serving it as sashimi. Wasn't expecting much but wow, it was delicious. Not fishy tasting at all, almost had a sweet smokey flavor.
Old 07-30-2014, 9:21am   #53
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicked_c6 View Post
I'm spoiled then... In my line of work I get taken out to quite a few dinners. My upper class/scale is a Chop House I visited 2 weeks ago. $80 21 day dry aged, bone in, rib eye, sided with a 3lbs (yes 3 lbs) South African lobster tail. With sides, and appetizer for 8 people the tab came to over $1300. Our waiter was outstanding, all our food came at once and was set down at once, and we never waited for anything we needed more than a minute.

That was high end service.
Back in 2000 I was at a trade show in Chicago and my boss asked me if I would take all our our dealer's top sales people out for dinner because he wasn't feeling well. I took about 15 guys and gals out to a chop house that is no longer there but was right in the same building as the Palmer House Hilton where we were all staying. We ate like kings and drank like them too. Wine, mixed drinks, beer, huge giant ribeyes and flillets, you name it. I got the tab and it was epic, like $5k.

The next week, back at the office, a gal that worked for us was tasked with the onerous task of getting all our expenses documented. Most people were required to do an expense report but since I was CTO I would just tell them to look at my Amex data since anything that is an expense is going to be on that and all personal expenses I put on my personal CC. She had gotten my statement and was freaking out on that $5k restaurant charge. She asked for the receipt and I gave it to her - it listed things like a few $400 bottles of wine, and the drink section was about 2 feet long no kidding.

She was almost in tears, saying that I was going to be in real trouble. I just went and told her to follow me into the boss's office. Once in there I said "Hey, you know that dinner where I took out all those sales guys? It was about $5k plus another grand for the tip, we drank a shitload of booze. He didn't even look up and said "OK, sounds like they had a good time."
Old 07-30-2014, 9:30am   #54
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Virtually ALL of the highest quality, sashimi grade, fish is flash hard frozen at very low temps onboard the boat. This does two things. First, it kills any active parasites found in the fish. Second, freezing quickly preserves the fish better than refrigeration. This is the highest quality $200/lb or better bluefin tuna and other delicacies. I'm sure if there was a way to keep these fish alive until butchering, it would be done.

So, if the fish or shellfish is alive when you throw it in the pot/skillet, that will be the highest quality, but you may need to worry about parasites. Folks who overcook the fish to high temps don't need to worry about parasites, but eating fish cooked to this level is defeating the goodness of fresh seafood.

If the fish is dead when you throw it in the pot/skillet, any time that it was dead and hard frozen is better than any time it was dead and not hard frozen.

Folks who shy away from anything frozen just don't understand the science.

Oh, and Red Lobster isn't even the McDonald's of seafood. Maybe the Waffle House of seafood.
You have explained it much better than I ever could. I see that the die-hard beach bums here are so taken by their local catches that they'll never believe us...and they'll never experience the far superior taste of flash frozen cold water seafood.

You raise an excellent point about parasites. I invite the non-believers to do this: Take your freshly caught fish and bathe it in a salt solution of a tbsp. of salt in a quart of water. The water wash will turn a milky color because of parasites and bacteria (now dead). It may take 2-3 baths until the water is clear. (Rinse the fish in plain water and pat dry before cooking.)

Now do the same thing with flash frozen cold water fish. You will see no milky water. They can ask a chef about this test.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 9:39am   #55
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
You have explained it much better than I ever could. I see that the die-hard beach bums here are so taken by their local catches that they'll never believe us...and they'll never experience the far superior taste of flash frozen cold water seafood.

You raise an excellent point about parasites. I invite the non-believers to do this: Take your freshly caught fish and bathe it in a salt solution of a tbsp. of salt in a quart of water. The water wash will turn a milky color because of parasites and bacteria (now dead). It may take 2-3 baths until the water is clear. (Rinse the fish in plain water and pat dry before cooking.)

Now do the same thing with flash frozen cold water fish. You will see no milky water. They can ask a chef about this test.
Spense, I've had plenty of fresh caught fish from the gulf, and it's very good. But you are right, the cold water fish from Alaska - flash frozen - is just a notch above anything else I've tasted. You can tell it's very fresh too, it has that taste and feel to it. No odor at all once it's thawed out (other than a briney ocean smell.)

I've had blue-fin tuna that was caught about 1 hour earlier served up 10 different ways in Mexico once, when a guy at our resort caught two big ones and decided to have them cook up about 3/4 of the catch for a big impromptu dinner party for about 20 of us. Man, that is still a great memory. The rest he had put on dry ice and shipped back to the states. Probably cost him a small fortune to do that. The kitchen staff was absolutely thrilled to do this for him, as he told them they could have all the leftovers (of what they prepared.)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2014, 9:43am   #56
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybercowboy View Post
I can say from experience that the Alaskan spot shrimp is a whole 'nother level above any other shrimp I've ever tasted. Not something I'd want all the time - they are very rich - but delicious and worth the *high* price for special occasions. That said, fresh Gulf shrimp are very good too, but there really is no comparison between the two. It would be like comparing Patagonian tooth fish (AKA "Sea Bass") with catfish. Sure, both can be very good but totally different taste profile.

That said, Red Lobster sucks. We have one about a 1.5 miles from our house and can't remember eating there in at least 20 years or so. Same with Olive Garden.
It looks like you and I are the only ones who have eaten Spot Shrimp. You phrased it correctly about Spot Shrimp and Gulf shrimp being two entirely different experiences. And about the cost of Alaskan seafood: Yes, it is expensive because it's better. I don't eat it every night or even every month, but it is a wonderful treat when I do. Last night I ordered about $200 of Alaskan scallops (4 packs), halibut (6 filets), and Spot Shrimp (4 packs). That will make 22 meals, so it will last me 6 months, so I don't consider it that expensive (under $10/meal).
Old 07-30-2014, 9:45am   #57
wicked_c6
Bantayan Kids '14

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4160

Quote:
Back in 2000 I was at a trade show in Chicago and my boss asked me if I would take all our our dealer's top sales people out for dinner because he wasn't feeling well. I took about 15 guys and gals out to a chop house that is no longer there but was right in the same building as the Palmer House Hilton where we were all staying. We ate like kings and drank like them too. Wine, mixed drinks, beer, huge giant ribeyes and flillets, you name it. I got the tab and it was epic, like $5k.

The next week, back at the office, a gal that worked for us was tasked with the onerous task of getting all our expenses documented. Most people were required to do an expense report but since I was CTO I would just tell them to look at my Amex data since anything that is an expense is going to be on that and all personal expenses I put on my personal CC. She had gotten my statement and was freaking out on that $5k restaurant charge. She asked for the receipt and I gave it to her - it listed things like a few $400 bottles of wine, and the drink section was about 2 feet long no kidding.

She was almost in tears, saying that I was going to be in real trouble. I just went and told her to follow me into the boss's office. Once in there I said "Hey, you know that dinner where I took out all those sales guys? It was about $5k plus another grand for the tip, we drank a shitload of booze. He didn't even look up and said "OK, sounds like they had a good time."
I had one like that, but I got snookered by the rep I was taking out. Was down in Dallas on a business trip meeting with prospective top producing reps. As usually I invited the 2 reps, and the territory manager out to dinner. They picked a very high end brazillian steak house...but not only that, they decided to invite the entire office (6 support staff) and all their spouses. Wasn't 5k, but was in the 3k range. I have quite a bit of lateral in my expenses, but that one was fun to through past our CFO. At the end of the day, what was I supposed to do? Decline taking the other people?

The only time I ever got declined an expense was when some prospects decided they wanted to hit a strip club after dinner. I figured I'd pick up a round or two and be done at $100 to 200 bucks. These guys put everything on the tab, including private table dances and stuck me with $1800. No reimbursement came...and I was a bit pissed off (both at the reps, myself and our company).
wicked_c6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 9:57am   #58
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
It looks like you and I are the only ones who have eaten Spot Shrimp. You phrased it correctly about Spot Shrimp and Gulf shrimp being two entirely different experiences. And about the cost of Alaskan seafood: Yes, it is expensive because it's better. I don't eat it every night or even every month, but it is a wonderful treat when I do. Last night I ordered about $200 of Alaskan scallops (4 packs), halibut (6 filets), and Spot Shrimp (4 packs). That will make 22 meals, so it will last me 6 months, so I don't consider it that expensive (under $10/meal).
There was a place located at the mall actually for a couple of years back in the 90's that sold frozen Alaskan seafood, that's how I got to try it. They sold a four-pack of spot shrimp, about 2 lbs, for $25. My wife bought a box and brought it home for me to cook. She didn't tell me how much it cost. The first thing I noticed is that the shrimp had all these orange balls under their legs. When frozen I couldn't figure out WTF it was, it looked gross. After thawing I realized it was shrimp roe. I just left it there and cooked them on the grill on a cedar plank.

Holy. Shit.

Just the best shrimp and possibly the best sea-anything I ever tasted. She then told me it was $25 (about $50 or so in today's money) and I couldn't have cared less. We bought a box or two about every three months and always looked forward to it, but they went out of business and I kinda forgot about it. I also tried their king crab legs (now those were expensive but fantastic), halibut, and salmon.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:02am   #59
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52

Quote:
There was a place located at the mall actually for a couple of years back in the 90's that sold frozen Alaskan seafood, that's how I got to try it. They sold a four-pack of spot shrimp, about 2 lbs, for $25. My wife bought a box and brought it home for me to cook. She didn't tell me how much it cost. The first thing I noticed is that the shrimp had all these orange balls under their legs. When frozen I couldn't figure out WTF it was, it looked gross. After thawing I realized it was shrimp roe. I just left it there and cooked them on the grill on a cedar plank.

Holy. Shit.

Just the best shrimp and possibly the best sea-anything I ever tasted. She then told me it was $25 (about $50 or so in today's money) and I couldn't have cared less. We bought a box or two about every three months and always looked forward to it, but they went out of business and I kinda forgot about it. I also tried their king crab legs (now those were expensive but fantastic), halibut, and salmon.
That's the experience I want the non-believers to have. Spot Shrimp and other Alaskan seafood will hook you forever (no pun intended). The only thing I ask it that first-timers cook it special, like you did, and not just, say, boil Spot Shrimp. It has far too much delicious taste to cook it ordinarily.

BTW, if the stuff hanging under the shrimp is orange it is roe; if it's red, it's blood and needs to be removed.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:14am   #60
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64

I can also say that cooking king crab legs on a cedar plank is excellent too. OK, now I'm hungry for spot shrimp and king crab.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic