Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion

C5 Open Discussion General and technical C5 Corvette discussion - ownership, maintenance, repairs, modifications, tuning

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-10-2015, 2:39pm   #1
darnold
Vette Barn nOOb
Activity: 0.6%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $550
Default Mod's for the 99'. What do you think?

Since I just got my first Corvette seven weeks ago I have been planning and refining what mods I would like to initially do to it regarding H.P. and Handling and LOOKS. I've refined the list to the following and wanted to get people on the forums' thoughts and further ideas?

H. P.
- I'm putting my twin tube CIA on this evening and plan to buy a ported MAF next week, and possibly a Vararam Power Bridge the two weeks from now to increase some H.P. I'm anticipating about 20 H.P. combined based upon the literature reviews that I've been able to pull up from multiple dyno reports and C5 owners.

Should I add a power bridge to this equation considering that the stock TB has been independently checked at flowing around 570 CFM but the stock intake system (box, filter, bridge/couplings, MAF) only flowed 370ish CFM?

Would a Borla exhaust or Magnaflow mufflers be a good upgrade over the stock mufflers to add for a little more H.P. and better sound once I complete the intake side of things? BTW, I do plan on putting an LS6 Intake on later this year if I can find one. LOL

HANDLING
- My C6 Z06 Shocks shipped today to go on the car and I'm thinking about putting on a Steinjager Z06 sway bar kit with their nice metal end links.

Will this setup work well using the springs from my base suspension (FE1???), or do I have to upgrade to the Z51 spring set?

LOOKS
- I've ordered my side fender mesh screens and they should be here by next week. I would like to put some new halogens in for a crisper "white light" and was hoping for some suggestions that I could run to the automotive shop to pick up and put in this weekend. Any ideas/experiences?

Thanks in advance for everyone's thoughts and ideas. -Dave
darnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 5:50pm   #2
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,291 Times in 827 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8192878

Welcome aboard, and congrats on your first Vette. As for mods, there is no limit to what you can do to these cars. A lot of people when they buy their first one go overboard with and end up with "catalog" cars. No real individuality, just a bunch of stick on crap.
That said, seems like you're heading in a good direction.
As for intake, a vararam or vortex system will let it breathe better. Either one brings in much cooler outside air. Your twin cone breathes a little better than stock, but still brings in air thats warm from under hood.
Cant go wrong with Borla or Magnaflow. I personallly have Borla Stingers and they're deep without being obnoxiously loud. Search youtube for sound clips to see which ones you like best. Adding a good set of headers will let your engine breathe and make the sound much better also. Longtubes are best, but don't let anyone tell you that shorty headers aren't worth it. They get the gases out, sound great, and need no modification to install. Again, your choice.
Suspension wise, the best set up is a complete coilover conversion, but thats high dollar stuff. Changing to a better shock, bigger z06 sway bar with metal end links will definitely help. Yes, they will work with the stock lead spring. The best thing you can do for the handling of the car is to change from run flat tires to a convention performance tire. The choices are almost limitless. You'll think it's a completely different car.
If it's white light your looking for HIDs with 6000K bulbs are the whitest you'll find. But any halogen in the 6000K light range will be much whiter than the stock halogens.
Again, welcome and enjoy your new baby!
Sneaks
Sneaks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2015, 12:53pm   #3
darnold
Vette Barn nOOb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaks View Post
Welcome aboard, and congrats on your first Vette. As for mods, there is no limit to what you can do to these cars. A lot of people when they buy their first one go overboard with and end up with "catalog" cars. No real individuality, just a bunch of stick on crap.
That said, seems like you're heading in a good direction.
As for intake, a vararam or vortex system will let it breathe better. Either one brings in much cooler outside air. Your twin cone breathes a little better than stock, but still brings in air thats warm from under hood.
Cant go wrong with Borla or Magnaflow. I personallly have Borla Stingers and they're deep without being obnoxiously loud. Search youtube for sound clips to see which ones you like best. Adding a good set of headers will let your engine breathe and make the sound much better also. Longtubes are best, but don't let anyone tell you that shorty headers aren't worth it. They get the gases out, sound great, and need no modification to install. Again, your choice.
Suspension wise, the best set up is a complete coilover conversion, but thats high dollar stuff. Changing to a better shock, bigger z06 sway bar with metal end links will definitely help. Yes, they will work with the stock lead spring. The best thing you can do for the handling of the car is to change from run flat tires to a convention performance tire. The choices are almost limitless. You'll think it's a completely different car.
If it's white light your looking for HIDs with 6000K bulbs are the whitest you'll find. But any halogen in the 6000K light range will be much whiter than the stock halogens.
Again, welcome and enjoy your new baby!
Sneaks
Much obliged. Thank you. I was concerned about using the stiffer shocks and roll bars with the noticeably softer spring rates, but I'm glad that people have been doing it and liked the results. I'm looking to go to Bloomington Gold and do their Auto Cross. It will be tight regarding installation of the suspension upgrades because I can't order the roll bars until next Friday even though the C6 Z06 shocks came today. That would potentially leave me with only having 1-2 days to try to get them installed so I might not get to try the new package out right away.

I'll check out some 6000k halogen bulbs to replace what I have today as well as checking into some HID's and what it would take to install either.
Old 06-13-2015, 6:33am   #4
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnold View Post
Much obliged. Thank you. I was concerned about using the stiffer shocks and roll bars with the noticeably softer spring rates, but I'm glad that people have been doing it and liked the results. I'm looking to go to Bloomington Gold and do their Auto Cross. It will be tight regarding installation of the suspension upgrades because I can't order the roll bars until next Friday even though the C6 Z06 shocks came today. That would potentially leave me with only having 1-2 days to try to get them installed so I might not get to try the new package out right away.

I'll check out some 6000k halogen bulbs to replace what I have today as well as checking into some HID's and what it would take to install either.
Installing HID's is as simple as changing a bulb. They are a plug amd play type deal.
Old 06-20-2015, 4:22pm   #5
darnold
Vette Barn nOOb

Thanks Sneaks. I'm thinking of putting these in the car:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/55W-HID-KIT-A...-/300774350478

What do you think???
Old 06-21-2015, 10:03am   #6
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41

Yup, good choice. 55W bulbs is what you want to go with. They put out a chit-ton of light.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:26am   #7
darnold
Vette Barn nOOb

Ok. I'll look into getting these. I adjusted the low beams and I can see a ton better but it's still not as bright, with that tint of blue that I would like. LOL
I've done a number of things on my list and need to post some pic's on this thread soon.
Old 06-23-2015, 1:21pm   #8
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41

Yeah get pics up.
Old 07-24-2015, 1:09am   #9
darnold
Vette Barn nOOb

Put a pic of my Corvette for my sig. Other pic's will make it up before the summer is out. Thanks everyone for your camaraderie.
The Following User Says Thank You to darnold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2015, 6:10am   #10
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41

Nice looking ride.

The Vette Barn > C5 Corvette > C5 Open Discussion