Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2015, 12:38pm   #81
Nemesis
Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2527405

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
Logano simply spun him out. It wasn't a "bump" that went wrong or anything of that nature. He drove up, put the nose in the left rear and turned him... 100% intentionally and 100% beyond question ending Kenseth's season.
This is just my opinion, but I personally don't think he is a good enough driver to knock someone out the way without wrecking them. I'm completely open to being proven wrong, but I see it in his interviews. He always stands confidently behind every wreck he causes. I think he feels that if he admits he f'ed up, he would lose his ride. You can see it in his eyes. He's always a little scared and unsure of himself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAB View Post

sponsor will still be writing checks.
The thing about sponsors is, sometimes they don't and you get to watch from the couch. As a sponsored driver, you're a face of the company. If your actions hurt their ROI, they find someone else who will win and sell products for them. Sprint cup is really the only place where you see a lot of long term partnerships simply because the viewership is so large.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 1:05pm   #82
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15
Activity: 99.6%

Thanked 8,006 Times in 4,537 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11975076

Quote:

Kenseth just made a hell of a lot more fans than he lost. All you have to do is watch the wreck and the fan reaction to see that.

My comments earlier in the thread were just my own thoughts speaking/typing out loud as I have no dog in this fight.

To be clear I was not taking sides at all for either driver.

As I said I have not watched a race in about 15 years or so and know next to nothing about most of the drivers out there now.

What little I'm reading here it sounds like maybe the guy that got dumped had it coming, but at the same time, I don't support a move like this.

Remember that three strike rule thought that I mentioned? I meant that as in the same race, not a week or two later.

I can see where battles and grudges can happen and you may give a guy you have constantly had problems with less or even zero chances in another race later.

When we raced I was for the most part just a small time racer running in the Friday Saturday, and Sunday night bull rings where there was not a lot of money involved. But still most everything that applied then and there still apply's now, or should in my mind anyways.

I believe in clean side by side racing for the most part, and to think other wise means it can always come back to haunt you. (like this case you guys are all talking about here)

Things happen in racing though, and a lot of wrecks make for hot tempers and bad decisions.

I always thought a driver that jumps out of his car shaking his fist at the other driver or throwing his helmet at the other car made him look like a bad sport, even if he was right.

I've seen cars deliberately hit another car even after the race was over to make a point, and while a lot of the fans like this stuff, a lot don't.

Guess I'm just one of them that don't care for it much myself.

I'm no angel and have certainly had some of my own battles and wars in the past, but never once have I made a scene on the track.. and sure many times I could see blood red anger at the time.. the race for me was over and just took my wrecker ride back to the trailer.

Anytime I felt I caused a wreck, or there could even be some doubts about it, I always made it a point to go talk to the other driver about it, and was the first to stick out my hand and apologize if it was my fault.

If I felt the wreck was the other guys fault I was also go see them in the pits to ask what happened, if they were sincere with their explanation, I accepted it and shook hands, and most of the time that's what happened, but every now and then one would give a smart ass remark.. so I would just reply to them (what ever fit at the time) something like.. well next time I'll just turn left..

At least the seed was planted in their mind..

But also quite often after a race, I would go over to see the driver that won the race and stick out my hand just to congratulate them.

Back to the blocking we were also talking about earlier...

I can see it on the last lap or two some only, but if someone does that... they can be expect to maybe just get moved out of the way..

And while I don't mean punted.. that may well just happen even if it was not the true intention.

A car can get real wide at times.. especially if its getting a bit sideways coming off the corners and they are trying to pass on the outside..

But blocking early or mid race, or even a slower car trying to not go a lap down, and not getting out of the way is just lame if you ask me... nuff said..
island14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2015, 1:30pm   #83
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 45.0%

Thanked 7,728 Times in 3,438 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew M View Post
This is just my opinion, but I personally don't think he is a good enough driver to knock someone out the way without wrecking them. I'm completely open to being proven wrong...
I've got absolutely nothing to prove you wrong. I don't ever remember him being "tactful" with a bumper. He usually pretty much just dumps someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by island14 View Post
My comments earlier in the thread were just my own thoughts speaking/typing out loud as I have no dog in this fight.

To be clear I was not taking sides at all for either driver.

As I said I have not watched a race in about 15 years or so and know next to nothing about most of the drivers out there now.

What little I'm reading here it sounds like maybe the guy that got dumped had it coming, but at the same time, I don't support a move like this.

Remember that three strike rule thought that I mentioned? I meant that as in the same race, not a week or two later.

I can see where battles and grudges can happen and you may give a guy you have constantly had problems with less or even zero chances in another race later.

When we raced I was for the most part just a small time racer running in the Friday Saturday, and Sunday night bull rings where there was not a lot of money involved. But still most everything that applied then and there still apply's now, or should in my mind anyways.

I believe in clean side by side racing for the most part, and to think other wise means it can always come back to haunt you. (like this case you guys are all talking about here)

Things happen in racing though, and a lot of wrecks make for hot tempers and bad decisions.

I always thought a driver that jumps out of his car shaking his fist at the other driver or throwing his helmet at the other car made him look like a bad sport, even if he was right.

I've seen cars deliberately hit another car even after the race was over to make a point, and while a lot of the fans like this stuff, a lot don't.

Guess I'm just one of them that don't care for it much myself.

I'm no angel and have certainly had some of my own battles and wars in the past, but never once have I made a scene on the track.. and sure many times I could see blood red anger at the time.. the race for me was over and just took my wrecker ride back to the trailer.

Anytime I felt I caused a wreck, or there could even be some doubts about it, I always made it a point to go talk to the other driver about it, and was the first to stick out my hand and apologize if it was my fault.

If I felt the wreck was the other guys fault I was also go see them in the pits to ask what happened, if they were sincere with their explanation, I accepted it and shook hands, and most of the time that's what happened, but every now and then one would give a smart ass remark.. so I would just reply to them (what ever fit at the time) something like.. well next time I'll just turn left..

At least the seed was planted in their mind..

But also quite often after a race, I would go over to see the driver that won the race and stick out my hand just to congratulate them.

Back to the blocking we were also talking about earlier...

I can see it on the last lap or two some only, but if someone does that... they can be expect to maybe just get moved out of the way..

And while I don't mean punted.. that may well just happen even if it was not the true intention.

A car can get real wide at times.. especially if its getting a bit sideways coming off the corners and they are trying to pass on the outside..

But blocking early or mid race, or even a slower car trying to not go a lap down, and not getting out of the way is just lame if you ask me... nuff said..
Can't argue with any of that. Wish you were still around these parts.

For the record, I am not a fan at all of the retaliation, wrecking, taking people out kind of racing. These "feuds" that seem to happen on occasion are annoying and more times than not, end up affecting the other competitors. This is actually the only time that I can think of where I am even partially on the side of the guy who did it... and even now, I think it's in large part because Logano is such a colossal douche.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 1:43pm   #84
Nemesis
Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
I've got absolutely nothing to prove you wrong. I don't ever remember him being "tactful" with a bumper. He usually pretty much just dumps someone.

Can't argue with any of that. Wish you were still around these parts.

For the record, I am not a fan at all of the retaliation, wrecking, taking people out kind of racing.
You would be if getting wrecked took 7 figures out of your pocket. A lot of the small town dirt racers are using it to supplement their income too.
Old 11-04-2015, 2:13pm   #85
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
You would be if getting wrecked took 7 figures out of your pocket. A lot of the small town dirt racers are using it to supplement their income too.
I said I'm not a fan of it... not that it's never warranted.

I'm also not a fan of punching people in the face. Doesn't mean that I won't if the situation calls for it.
Old 11-04-2015, 2:28pm   #86
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Quote:
Speaking of small town racers..

One thing that differs a bit with the lower budget racers, most cannot afford to tear up too much equipment, not to mention all the time work to get the car back together for the next weeks race.

Most have full time jobs and have to do the work on their cars after work in the evenings all week.

I can remember pulling an all nighter one time getting our car back together that needed a whole new front clip as we had a race the next night at another track.

No fun at all..

To me.. bringing the car home with no damage at all was like a win in itself..
The Following User Says Thank You to island14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 2:34pm   #87
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Speaking of small town racers..

One thing that differs a bit with the lower budget racers, most cannot afford to tear up too much equipment, not to mention all the time work to get the car back together for the next weeks race.

Most have full time jobs and have to do the work on their cars after work in the evenings all week.

I can remember pulling an all nighter one time getting our car back together that needed a whole new front clip as we had a race the next night at another track.

No fun at all..

To me.. bringing the car home with no damage at all was like a win in itself..
Wait... you mean that you wouldn't spear someone into a wall and completely destroy your own car in the process to prove a point?
Old 11-04-2015, 2:37pm   #88
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

While we are on the subject....

Take notice of the bumper on this jewel..

Old 11-04-2015, 2:39pm   #89
Nemesis
Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
While we are on the subject....

Take notice of the bumper on this jewel..

It looks like either the tube walls are too thin or someone forgot to weld it in place.
Old 11-04-2015, 2:42pm   #90
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Ahhhhhhh Kil-Kare.
Old 11-04-2015, 2:50pm   #91
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

This thread got me thinking about when the dipshit Logano crashed the Whelen Corvette at Watkins Glen a few years ago. They interviewed him in the garage afterwards and he was all smiles, laughing, joking and said something along the lines of "I'm sure we can pull out a backup car and get it set up just as well..."

At that point 1 of the crew guys within ear shot jumped in the frame and said "There is no f**king backup car" and walked away disgusted.

That told me pretty much all I needed to know. He's a spoiled little douche that has never actually had to own up to anything, ever. Haven't liked him since. (In fairness, I wasn't a fan prior to that)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedLS1GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 3:11pm   #92
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Quote:
It looks like either the tube walls are too thin or someone forgot to weld it in place.

Or just maybe it took a pretty good hit..

I don't remember that race or how it happened, but we changed the body the following year to a better looking design so I do remember the year.

That was the year of what I called my Tom & Jerry wars..

Lots of stuffs happened that year, and at the time is was aggravating as heck, but thinking back now it sure was fun and a lot of good memories.

Quick story on Tom, he was a hard racer and half the time he ran around with the back end of the car hanging out sideways smoking the tires like he was running on dirt.

Very hard to pass a guy like that by the way.

We had our pushes and shoves back and forth on the track quite a few times, but he was one of those guys that you could tap him hard enough to get him completely sideways and he would save it and continue to race, where as some others you could barely touch them and they lost it and spun.

He took it as well as he gave it out.. and that's just how he raced.

Anyways he had me aggravated one night as he leaned on me pretty hard in the heat race (that paid nothing at all) and wore out my drivers side door panel with his tire.

While I was grumbeling about it to someone in the pits, someone else motioned to me to look behind me.

I turned around and there was Tom with a large white tire marker crayon touching up the lettering on my door where his tire had blacked the whole side out.

And a bag of popcorn in his other hand.

So here I am in complete shock watching this goofball trying to fix up my lettering on the door.. and he turns around and offers me some feckin popcorn..

Now how in the heck can you stay angry at someone like this?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to island14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 3:26pm   #93
DAB
Sparkles Flambeaux
Barn Stall Owner #4
Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '13,'14,'15,'16,'17,'21
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 33,021 Times in 14,161 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $17500122

Quote:
This thread got me thinking about when the dipshit Logano crashed the Whelen Corvette at Watkins Glen a few years ago. They interviewed him in the garage afterwards and he was all smiles, laughing, joking and said something along the lines of "I'm sure we can pull out a backup car and get it set up just as well..."

At that point 1 of the crew guys within ear shot jumped in the frame and said "There is no f**king backup car" and walked away disgusted.

That told me pretty much all I needed to know. He's a spoiled little douche that has never actually had to own up to anything, ever. Haven't liked him since. (In fairness, I wasn't a fan prior to that)

as far as he knows, there is a garage with an endless supply of cars available.

he just drives and smiles.....yup, douche.
DAB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DAB For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 3:29pm   #94
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Here is one that I always liked.. and you guys have probably seen it, but always worth watching again..

Labonte pushed, Earnhardt shoved..

Hard racing! and listen to the interviews after the race.. they kept it very sportsman like, without all the crying and whining and revenge crap..

I really like Labonte's reply.. "did you ever hear Earnhardt say he ever meaned to spin anyone out?"

Quick highlights

The longer 3 minute clip showing where Labonte taps Earnhardt to get by him, then Dale does it right back to him..

Old 11-04-2015, 3:35pm   #95
Nemesis
Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
So here I am in complete shock watching this goofball trying to fix up my lettering on the door.. and he turns around and offers me some feckin popcorn..

Now how in the heck can you stay angry at someone like this?

I love this story
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 3:47pm   #96
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Quote:
I love this story
That's the kinda stuffs good memories are made of..

I was just talking to him a few months ago through Facebook live chat and we were laughing at some of the old times together.

Tom and one of the cars he drove back then.

Old 11-04-2015, 3:48pm   #97
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
Here is one that I always liked.. and you guys have probably seen it, but always worth watching again..
"Rattle his cage" never gets old.
Old 11-04-2015, 4:15pm   #98
Nemesis
Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
That's the kinda stuffs good memories are made of..

I was just talking to him a few months ago through Facebook live chat and we were laughing at some of the old times together.

Tom and one of the cars he drove back then.
Man, that car is clean
The Following User Says Thank You to Nemesis For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 7:50pm   #99
Hoog
Bantayan Kids '13

Thanked 1,425 Times in 727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $123317

Quote:

Labonte pushed, Earnhardt shoved..

In the '95 Bristol night race, Earnhardt spun Rusty early on and NASCAR sent him to the back. Pissed off Sr. a little bit. He was coming up through the field and appeared let's say...impatient. After another trip to the back due to a long pit stop, Dale was a man possessed.

I think he hit damn near every car on his way back to the front. You got one corner, if you didn't move, you got the bumper. When he finally got to Labonte, well...

Hoog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hoog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 8:15pm   #100
island14
Bamboo Boy
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoog View Post
In the '95 Bristol night race, Earnhardt spun Rusty early on and NASCAR sent him to the back. Pissed off Sr. a little bit. He was coming up through the field and appeared let's say...impatient. After another trip to the back due to a long pit stop, Dale was a man possessed.

I think he hit damn near every car on his way back to the front. You got one corner, if you didn't move, you got the bumper. When he finally got to Labonte, well...

What a Great finish!

I have not seen this one before so thanks for posting that!

And again what a class act Labonte was in the interview, not a single bad thing to say about Earnhardt..

But again, Earnhardt could have drove through him if he wanted too, and Labonte knew it, but it was not his intention as it looks like he just wanted to get him a little loose and make the pass. and once he tapped him.. he stood back to see where to go but had nowhere to go and let him gather the car back up.

I also liked watching Tim Richmond and Dale race together, they put on some really good shows back in the day.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic