Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-15-2018, 1:27pm   #1
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471
Default Taking care of animals in forest fires...

When a wildfire quickly spread through the wooded area around would-be animal-rescuer George Knauss's home, he knew there were wild animals that would need help. So, he set out to save as many as possible. That’s when he encountered a small bobcat and a fawn…

It was clear that both animals were in serious danger and if their was any hope of them being rescued, George was going to have to act fast. So, as quickly as he could move, George brought both the baby bobcat and fawn out of the woods… and into his home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	benji-bobcat-1.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	20374

Still, George faced a serious dilemma. On one hand, he knew they were wild animals and they should be free, but on the other hand, if he let them go, there was a good chance they wouldn’t last long on their own.

Understandably, George’s family was extremely apprehensive to having a bobcat and fawn recuperating in their home. But it soon became clear that these weren’t your typical wild animals, and it was as if they were thankful for a safe place to be!

Click image for larger version

Name:	benji-bobcat-2.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	252.0 KB
ID:	20375

Benji, the name they gave to the bobcat, and the fawn were integrated so well into the home that it was clear they were going to become permanent residents from the start. Remarkably, the predator and the prey were fast friends. Furthermore, they loved to hang out with the family’s other pets, a cat and a dog. It was one big, happy family!

And the fawn’s gentle, loving nature didn’t go unnoticed by George and his family either. See the way he accepted potato chips from George’s hand as if he was just a puppy accepting a delicious treat from his owner:

They were released after a few months back into the wild where they belonged. Wildfires have been prevalent in several States lately, and I can't find the exact location where this occurred. As best as I can determine this all happened in September, 2018.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lspencer534 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2018, 3:37pm   #2
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 2,418 Times in 934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854

That’s heartwarming and all, but it’s also a huge mistake to bring something like a fkng wildcat into your home. That bobcat is marking that kid, not showing him love. You can’t project human emotions onto something that isn’t capable of having them, and we all are guilty of doing that to one degree or another. That guy was wise to turn them back out into the wild, and lucky nothing horrible happened while they were there.

Just my opinion, of course.
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 10:29pm   #3
Y2Kvert4me
Administrator
Barn Stall Owner #7
Barn Raising I,II,IV

NCM Supporter '13,'14
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 5,025 Times in 2,238 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $30682687

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
I can't find the exact location where this occurred. As best as I can determine this all happened in September, 2018.
Not entirely fake, but your post is a concoction of two completely separate and unrelated stories.

Those are clearly not the same animals in the two pictures. Not even the same species of deer. (whitetail fawn in pic 1 and a muntjac in pic 2)

The first pic is from May 2009, the fawn and bobcat were indeed rescued from the Jesusita fire near Santa Barbara, CA. The setting is not a home, but of an animal rescue office. The animals only mingled together for a few hours, as the rescue group had briefly run out of crates during the emergency situation. These two were never anyone's pets, and were released back into the wild after the fire.

The second pic and videos are of Benji (bobcat) and Athena (deer) who were both acquired as babies and kept as household pets by George Krause, who lives in Akron, Ohio. They were not saved from any fire. The videos above were posted in 2012/2013.

Now to totally buzzkill this thread, Benji the bobcat died in late 2014...Here's a (long) post from George explaining what happened....Very sad and tragic.
Don't know what to say. Benji the bobcat

Y2Kvert4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 4:43am   #4
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

^^

Oh my God.

What a sad and horrible story.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 8:42am   #5
Lakota
A Real Barner
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 2,920 Times in 592 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2924

Read wildlife experts that people make a big mistake when they see a fawn in the woods and assume the mother abandoned it. The mother left it but will return. People should leave the fawn alone.
Also, deer are carriers of ticks which carry lyme disease.
Lakota is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic