Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-14-2011, 12:39pm   #1
ChasC5
Banned
Activity: 0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320
Cool Obama: 'We can't cut education'

Quote:
President Obama cast his education program in economic terms today, saying better schools mean more jobs -- and that they should not be sacrificed by the desire to reduce federal budget deficits.

"We can't cut education," Obama told students at a Virginia middle school. "We can't cut the kinds of things that makes our country more competitive" in the global economy.

Obama used the speech to outline his proposed changes to the No Child Left Behind education law. "Fixing our failing schools requires money," he said.

In making his economic argument, Obama said more than half the jobs created over the next decade will require college degrees or some kind of advanced training. "The best jobs program out there is a good education," he said.

The president sought middle ground between liberals and conservatives in calling on Congress to pass a bill before the start of the next school year, saying true education reform requires both "money" and "reform."

The George W. Bush-era education law has "the right goals," Obama said, but it does not give parents and educators "what they need to meet those goals."

For one thing, Obama said the definitions of "success and failure" for schools are "out of line." He said a new education law needs to delineate which schools are "deeply in trouble and which schools aren't."

Obama said improving No Child Left Behind will require both Democratic and Republican ideas.

It also requires money, the president said, speaking amid a congressional budget battle.

The resolution that funds the government is due to expire Friday. Both parties seek a long-term deal but disagree over budget cuts and levels of spending -- and Obama has repeatedly made it clear he will oppose any cuts to education.

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...jobs-program/1
Question; who on this forum thinks the President should cut eduction for American Children and Students?
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 1:44pm   #2
73sbVert
Barn Stall Owner #20
Barn Stall Owner #33

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'13,'14,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,955 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $988270

Like most on the right, I don't think the AMOUNT of money needs to be cut (actually it could if...), just do three things:

1) disband the Dept of "Education" that has failed so miserably in the last 4 decades returning the responsibility to the states to educate their own.

2) force the teacher's unions out of the classroom and out of the school boards. They have no business there.

3) Reduce the bureaucracies in all the school boards by at least half. Most of those in there are totally unnecessary. More funding is wasted on so many layers of bureaucracy that is artificially inserted in the system. It's total BS.

If those 3 things are done, then the funds that ARE being spent have a much better chance of actually getting INTO the classroom.

The solution is not more money, we already spend more dollars per student per year than any other country in the world, yet the domestic and international scores continue to drop.
Use the money that is available much more productively.
73sbVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 1:50pm   #3
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sbVert View Post
Like most on the right, I don't think the AMOUNT of money needs to be cut (actually it could if...), just do three things:

1) disband the Dept of "Education" that has failed so miserably in the last 4 decades returning the responsibility to the states to educate their own.

2) force the teacher's unions out of the classroom and out of the school boards. They have no business there.

3) Reduce the bureaucracies in all the school boards by at least half. Most of those in there are totally unnecessary. More funding is wasted on so many layers of bureaucracy that is artificially inserted in the system. It's total BS.

If those 3 things are done, then the funds that ARE being spent have a much better chance of actually getting INTO the classroom.

The solution is not more money, we already spend more dollars per student per year than any other country in the world, yet the domestic and international scores continue to drop.
Use the money that is available much more productively.
1) Dude, remember what happened 40 years ago when the States had control over who got educated?

2) I'd be willing to try it, even though I have many teachers in my family who can prove you wrong.

3) Categorically agree ... these people are not teaching.
Old 03-14-2011, 1:59pm   #4
73sbVert
Barn Stall Owner #20
Barn Stall Owner #33

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'13,'14,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 3,291 Times in 1,955 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $988270

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
1) Dude, remember what happened 40 years ago when the States had control over who got educated?

2) I'd be willing to try it, even though I have many teachers in my family who can prove you wrong.

3) Categorically agree ... these people are not teaching.
1) Yes, but we're older and wiser now. Those mistakes will never happen again. The best thing that could ever happen is for the individual states to be ALLOWED to decide (by their own communities) what is best to teach their own kids. The worst thing that ever happened to education is when the federal gov't tried to force a one-size-fits-all solution to problems that didn't exist.

2) I've got lots of teachers in my family too (my grandfather was former Directors of Education for LSU and Tulane both), grandmother taught, aunts, uncles, cousins, even my mom. None of them ever a part of the union crap. There is no, NO advantage to any of the kids education by inserting the unions into it. The ONLY benefit to the unions is pay and self-preservation. THEY are the sole reason why shitty teachers can't be fired and good teachers are being forced into layoff strictly by seniority account. That's BS by every standard of measure.

3) I've got a couple of books you should read (but you must open your mind) if you are interested...

73sbVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 2:06pm   #5
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sbVert View Post
1) Yes, but we're older and wiser now. Those mistakes will never happen again. The best thing that could ever happen is for the individual states to be ALLOWED to decide (by their own communities) what is best to teach their own kids. The worst thing that ever happened to education is when the federal gov't tried to force a one-size-fits-all solution to problems that didn't exist.

2) I've got lots of teachers in my family too (my grandfather was former Directors of Education for LSU and Tulane both), grandmother taught, aunts, uncles, cousins, even my mom. None of them ever a part of the union crap. There is no, NO advantage to any of the kids education by inserting the unions into it. The ONLY benefit to the unions is pay and self-preservation. THEY are the sole reason why shitty teachers can't be fired and good teachers are being forced into layoff strictyly by seniority account. That's BS by every standard of measure.

3) I've got a couple of books you should read (but you must open your mind) if you are interested...

BS, we're Older, but if anything the last two years have taught me, we only put under rocks the real feelings.They say the two things in life you can bet on is death and taxes. I say you can add one more thing to that, we'll NEVER go Backwards.

That's is why I'm a Progressive. I'm willing to try anything new, but I'm not stupid enough to go back and do what has already been proven to be a failure.

The other two I'm open to.
Old 03-14-2011, 2:15pm   #6
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $73231

It should be cut from the fed.gov level.
thkauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 2:29pm   #7
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thkauffman View Post
It should be cut from the fed.gov level.
Yea, why would the United States of America invest in Americans?

But hay, should get your income over $500k per year, we'll have you back 100% Tax Free.
Old 03-14-2011, 4:15pm   #8
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31

Quote:
Yea, why would the United States of America invest in Americans?

But hay, should get your income over $500k per year, we'll have you back 100% Tax Free.
Because it's not in the Constitution.

You ever read that thing?

And that same document leaves stuff like education up to the States.

Amazing how that works.
Old 03-14-2011, 4:22pm   #9
Peter Pan
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #58

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $13154

Quote:

Amazing how that works.
It sure is working well in Detriot with all the $$ we dump there yearly, Detroit is a ghost town as many areas are razed, on example of $$ not working at all, let the states do it as nothing the Feds have done have worked to make things better, jobs for life have to stop and go on performance, like in the Military, you suck at your job you are told to leave
Peter Pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 4:43pm   #10
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:

Amazing how that works.
It's not in the Constitution for Parents to be Good-Parents ... yet every person on the Forum who has children knows the common since values of investment in both their Children and their own future.

So now we can all stop playing stupid now that we know the value of investment, why to invest in our own Children? Because GOD KNOWS we'll never agree to Electing a person who country did a better job in investing in their Children. Correct? Because that is in the Constitution.
Old 03-14-2011, 4:45pm   #11
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pan View Post
It sure is working well in Detriot with all the $$ we dump there yearly, Detroit is a ghost town as many areas are razed, on example of $$ not working at all, let the states do it as nothing the Feds have done have worked to make things better, jobs for life have to stop and go on performance, like in the Military, you suck at your job you are told to leave
I work with some people who grew up in the Detroit area ... I don't see a problem with their Education. So exactly what broad brush are you trying to paint?
Old 03-14-2011, 4:50pm   #12
Vette Jockey
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $460853

Get rid of tenure and grade teachers on performance like everyone else is. It is disgraceful how many teachers in New York and Los Angeles get a full salary and are in a room goofing off because they have done something to prevent them from going to class, but not collecting a salary!
Vette Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 4:53pm   #13
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.8%

Thanked 11,529 Times in 5,686 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Question; who on this forum thinks the President should cut eduction for American Children and Students?
ME the DOEd from the Fed.gov should be eliminated....but I settle for total defunding by the house for how....

LOCAL skool bud gets.....cut by 50% overnight....

maybe even yet.....60% easy.....and guess what?? I don't have to cut a teacher salary in the bunch.....

seriously.....

but then again, I know too much.....

all you all PROGRESSIVES THINK you can pull the wool over, but not THIS sheeple.....

Thomas Edison

All products should say "Do not use if your stupid".....

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 4:59pm   #14
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
ME the DOEd from the Fed.gov should be eliminated....but I settle for total defunding by the house for how....

LOCAL skool bud gets.....cut by 50% overnight....

maybe even yet.....60% easy.....and guess what?? I don't have to cut a teacher salary in the bunch.....

seriously.....

but then again, I know too much.....

all you all PROGRESSIVES THINK you can pull the wool over, but not THIS sheeple.....

Yea, but the microsecond someone who doesn't look like you gets something you think is entitled to only you, then you become all for America and Americans.

Well guess what; get use to it. Because the World is beginning to out educate us, so it will be likely someone who doesn't look like you will be calling the shots.

Old 03-14-2011, 5:18pm   #15
ChasC5
Banned

Personally I beleive there's nothing more threatening to the Hard Right than Children who don't look like them getting education. It was tried once before to stifle or regulate who can have access to Books ... worked for a little while but failed in the End.
Old 03-14-2011, 5:38pm   #16
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Yea, but the microsecond someone who doesn't look like you gets something you think is entitled to only you, then you become all for America and Americans.

Well guess what; get use to it. Because the World is beginning to out educate us, so it will be likely someone who doesn't look like you will be calling the shots.

The 'WORLD' out educates us on OUR educational system.....

the only education worth having is in....

hard sciences, finance, economics, math, business arts....

the rest is a stone total waste.....

kinda like the fart fairies that think Picasso is somehow a GREAT artist....

when he WAS one of the great scams of all time....Jackie can go to hell on that one alone....

NOW look at just perZactly what the rest of the world studies in our colleges.....look at the grads.....

see any in feel good 101??

CASE CLOSED......

Thomas Edison

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
Old 03-14-2011, 5:40pm   #17
ChasC5
Banned

biggrin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
The 'WORLD' out educates us on OUR educational system.....

the only education worth having is in....

hard sciences, finance, economics, math, business arts....

the rest is a stone total waste.....

kinda like the fart fairies that think Picasso is somehow a GREAT artist....

when he WAS one of the great scams of all time....Jackie can go to hell on that one alone....

NOW look at just perZactly what the rest of the world studies in our colleges.....look at the grads.....

see any in feel good 101??

CASE CLOSED......

Let me guess ... you're over 60?

Dad ... is that you.
Old 03-14-2011, 5:46pm   #18
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Let me guess ... you're over 60?

Dad ... is that you.
OK asshole, the rest of the world takes YOUR position in some university learning what YOU are too damn lazy to know, and so you think somehow your degree in feel good 101 PHD, or like my old BIL decades thought his PHD in MUSIC was the equivalent of Physics....

music get you a few/many whores, but lets not equate it with a honest living....ok?? same for the rest of the 'arts'.....

'feel good' does not equal survival....get OVER it....

Thomas Edison

Old 03-16-2011, 9:35am   #19
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31

Quote:
Personally I beleive there's nothing more threatening to the Hard Right than Children who don't look like them getting education. It was tried once before to stifle or regulate who can have access to Books ... worked for a little while but failed in the End.
You're full of shit. Are you calling me a racist?
Old 03-16-2011, 9:36am   #20
thkauffman
Barn Stall Owner #31

Quote:
It's not in the Constitution for Parents to be Good-Parents ... yet every person on the Forum who has children knows the common since values of investment in both their Children and their own future.

So now we can all stop playing stupid now that we know the value of investment, why to invest in our own Children? Because GOD KNOWS we'll never agree to Electing a person who country did a better job in investing in their Children. Correct? Because that is in the Constitution.
And raising a child is a personal responsibility, not the fed.gov's.

Please point to specific wording in the Constitution that says the fed.gov can have a department of education.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion