Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn - A Community for Corvette Lovers  
 
Go Back   The Vette Barn - A Community for Corvette Lovers > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Share Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2018, 08:53pm   #1
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default Check this out. Alien Gear Shap Shift

Impressed with this holster system. 4 different carry configs.

IWB (super tuck style)
Apendix carry
OWB paddle
OWB belt slide
Car mount.

Solid. Great retention. It has a thumb release.

This is the standard OWB belt carry.
Attached Thumbnails
F001EE61-52AD-48B0-931B-D7785B47BF7E.jpg  

SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:09pm   #2
markids77
A Real Barner
Points: 10,534, Level: 70
Activity: 42.6%
 
markids77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: sweatin' on the oldies
Posts: 6,194
Thanks: 3,106
Thanked 1,282 Times in 863 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4100788
Default

I'm all for good retention but I do not expect to have a perp try and shoot me with my own weapon. I choose a holster without "positive retention" features because I do not train with the gear regularly and do not want to have to remember how to present the weapon under stress. Simply pull and extend.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 09:33pm   #3
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Points: 14,871, Level: 84
Activity: 25.8%
 
ZipZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,554
Thanks: 525
Thanked 902 Times in 563 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $21146
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
I'm all for good retention but I do not expect to have a perp try and shoot me with my own weapon. I choose a holster without "positive retention" features because I do not train with the gear regularly and do not want to have to remember how to present the weapon under stress. Simply pull and extend.
Yeah, but when I'm doing my back flip on the dance floor, bitch does not fall out and shoot a leg. Or somethin'.
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:35pm   #4
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
I'm all for good retention but I do not expect to have a perp try and shoot me with my own weapon. I choose a holster without "positive retention" features because I do not train with the gear regularly and do not want to have to remember how to present the weapon under stress. Simply pull and extend.
I tend to agree. The cool thing is that the retention mechanism is removeable. In fact I just changed it to an OWB slide and it uses the opposite side of the shell to pull it closer to the body.
Attached Thumbnails
BDD63CA9-2743-42C1-AFF9-BA0ACD0B95AC.jpg  

SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SnikPlosskin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2018, 09:58pm   #5
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Yeah, but when I'm doing my back flip on the dance floor, bitch does not fall out and shoot a leg. Or somethin'.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:48am   #6
Nox
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 7,827, Level: 61
Activity: 12.5%
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 968
Thanks: 6
Thanked 614 Times in 290 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5761
Default

I bought an Aliengear holster to see what the hype was all about. My opinion is that itís an entry level holster for novices. For day in, day out carry Iíll stick with my Milt Sparks and TT Gunleather holsters. For Kydex, I used to swear by Raven Concealment until they took a shit. I recently purchased a couple of Tulster Kydex holsters and theyíve been decent. Iíd save my money and get a decent holster.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 08:20am   #7
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Points: 84,895, Level: 100
Activity: 99.0%
 
Mike Mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 28,050
Thanks: 8,745
Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,461 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5111523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipZap View Post
Yeah, but when I'm doing my back flip on the dance floor, bitch does not fall out and shoot a leg.




















Mike Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 12:23pm   #8
ZipZap
Barn Stall Owner #55
Points: 14,871, Level: 84
Activity: 25.8%
 
ZipZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,554
Thanks: 525
Thanked 902 Times in 563 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $21146
Default


Last edited by ZipZap; 08-01-2018 at 10:00pm. Reason: Unacknowledged editing - WTF????
ZipZap is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZipZap For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2018, 12:09am   #9
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I bought an Aliengear holster to see what the hype was all about. My opinion is that itís an entry level holster for novices. For day in, day out carry Iíll stick with my Milt Sparks and TT Gunleather holsters. For Kydex, I used to swear by Raven Concealment until they took a shit. I recently purchased a couple of Tulster Kydex holsters and theyíve been decent. Iíd save my money and get a decent holster.
Thanks for pissing on my parade.

I bought it because of the flexibility. I have custome leather holsters too and they are superior. but I like the systems approach.

What specifically is entry level? Fit is great. Materials are solid. Retention is excellent. Comfortable. I think you might be a gear snob.

Of course I havenít worn it yet for 10 hours at a time yet. We shall see. For $99 for four different configurations if it turns out to be shit, who cares.

Besides, I donít get in very many gun fights. If it conceals, is comfortable and had solid retention, Iím good to go.

I have one custom piece that has no markings so I canít remember who made it. Itís damn perfect. I believe it took five months to get it. Pissed I canít remember.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:27am   #10
Sea Six
Moderator
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 123,417, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 47,990
Thanks: 9,007
Thanked 10,952 Times in 6,346 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $319781
Default

El Paso Saddlery?
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:14am   #11
Nox
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 7,827, Level: 61
Activity: 12.5%
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 968
Thanks: 6
Thanked 614 Times in 290 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
What specifically is entry level? Fit is great. Materials are solid. Retention is excellent. Comfortable. I think you might be a gear snob.

Of course I havenít worn it yet for 10 hours at a time yet. We shall see. For $99 for four different configurations if it turns out to be shit, who cares.
I find Alien Gear Holsters to be clunky and bulkier than they need to be because of their "cookie cutter" modular design. They are trying to be a "jack of all trades" holster which compromises form and overall concealability. Because of their price point, they use injection molded plastics and synthetic materials that don't last. Finally, from an extended wear standpoint- I wear a holster 12 plus hours a day, 7 days a week, the Alien Gear, causes accelerated wear on the trigger housing and muzzle end of the slide due to it's retention points. Every holster I've ever had probably causes a bit of holster wear, but owing to the design of the Alien Gear, this wear is really noticeable. At the end of the day, my guns are tools and I could live with some wear, but I won't trade off concealability, and during the summer, I wear a holster under a t-shirt, and the Alien Gear prints more than other holsters I have.

Again, probably a fine holster for an entry level user who doesn't plan on carrying a gun 24/7. Iíd say the Shape Shifter is ďgood enoughĒ at most things, but not great at anything. Since my mode of carry is pretty consistently IWB, Iíll take the holster thatís widely considered ďthe bestĒ at IWB.
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:31pm   #12
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I find Alien Gear Holsters to be clunky and bulkier than they need to be because of their "cookie cutter" modular design. They are trying to be a "jack of all trades" holster which compromises form and overall concealability. Because of their price point, they use injection molded plastics and synthetic materials that don't last. Finally, from an extended wear standpoint- I wear a holster 12 plus hours a day, 7 days a week, the Alien Gear, causes accelerated wear on the trigger housing and muzzle end of the slide due to it's retention points. Every holster I've ever had probably causes a bit of holster wear, but owing to the design of the Alien Gear, this wear is really noticeable. At the end of the day, my guns are tools and I could live with some wear, but I won't trade off concealability, and during the summer, I wear a holster under a t-shirt, and the Alien Gear prints more than other holsters I have.

Again, probably a fine holster for an entry level user who doesn't plan on carrying a gun 24/7. Iíd say the Shape Shifter is ďgood enoughĒ at most things, but not great at anything. Since my mode of carry is pretty consistently IWB, Iíll take the holster thatís widely considered ďthe bestĒ at IWB.
Wow. I agree with all of that. You pretty much nailed it upon review. It does stick out more using the paddle. The belt slide canít be canted. I can see the gun printing more. Luckily I donít care.

I did notice the retention scheme just last night. Thatís actually pretty shitty. (The holster has a small adjustible tab that locks onto the trigger guard - definitely will mar the weapon.)

I should know better than to ever doubt your gear knowledge. Right on.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:31pm   #13
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
El Paso Saddlery?
Nope. It was a guys name. Charley something?
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:44pm   #14
Sea Six
Moderator
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Points: 123,417, Level: 100
Activity: 99.8%
 
Sea Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NW FL
Posts: 47,990
Thanks: 9,007
Thanked 10,952 Times in 6,346 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $319781
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
Nope. It was a guys name. Charley something?
Charles Nelson Riley?
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:23pm   #15
markids77
A Real Barner
Points: 10,534, Level: 70
Activity: 42.6%
 
markids77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: sweatin' on the oldies
Posts: 6,194
Thanks: 3,106
Thanked 1,282 Times in 863 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4100788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
Charles Nelson Riley?
You watched Match Game? You are dating yourself.
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:55pm   #16
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
Charles Nelson Riley?
I wish.
SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:58pm   #17
SnikPlosskin
Barn Stall Owner #93
Points: 35,458, Level: 100
Activity: 90.6%
 
SnikPlosskin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Uranus, Tx
Posts: 6,589
Thanks: 731
Thanked 4,785 Times in 1,527 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3286964
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox View Post
I find Alien Gear Holsters to be clunky and bulkier than they need to be because of their "cookie cutter" modular design. They are trying to be a "jack of all trades" holster which compromises form and overall concealability. Because of their price point, they use injection molded plastics and synthetic materials that don't last. Finally, from an extended wear standpoint- I wear a holster 12 plus hours a day, 7 days a week, the Alien Gear, causes accelerated wear on the trigger housing and muzzle end of the slide due to it's retention points. Every holster I've ever had probably causes a bit of holster wear, but owing to the design of the Alien Gear, this wear is really noticeable. At the end of the day, my guns are tools and I could live with some wear, but I won't trade off concealability, and during the summer, I wear a holster under a t-shirt, and the Alien Gear prints more than other holsters I have.

Again, probably a fine holster for an entry level user who doesn't plan on carrying a gun 24/7. Iíd say the Shape Shifter is ďgood enoughĒ at most things, but not great at anything. Since my mode of carry is pretty consistently IWB, Iíll take the holster thatís widely considered ďthe bestĒ at IWB.
Sent it back today. The only thing worth a shit once I was able to actually use it (been immobile from surgery) was the super tuck config. All others total shit. All OWB is 3 inches(!) from the belt counting width of .45

Concealable my ass.
Attached Thumbnails
0867A85B-FD60-4E27-A2CA-0B2418EB5295.jpg  

SnikPlosskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:01pm   #18
MrPeabody
A Real Barner
Points: 49,666, Level: 100
Activity: 99.0%
 
MrPeabody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 26,433
Thanks: 9,152
Thanked 8,367 Times in 4,356 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2188308
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by markids77 View Post
You watched Match Game? You are dating yourself.
I think he's more of a Hollywood Squares guy.
MrPeabody is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrPeabody For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 08:10pm   #19
markids77
A Real Barner
Points: 10,534, Level: 70
Activity: 42.6%
 
markids77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: sweatin' on the oldies
Posts: 6,194
Thanks: 3,106
Thanked 1,282 Times in 863 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4100788
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPeabody View Post
I think he's more of a Hollywood Squares guy.
Yup. Probably was a bit addled that evening....
markids77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:45am   #20
Nox
Vette Barn Crew
Points: 7,827, Level: 61
Activity: 12.5%
 
Nox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 968
Thanks: 6
Thanked 614 Times in 290 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnikPlosskin View Post
Sent it back today. The only thing worth a shit once I was able to actually use it (been immobile from surgery) was the super tuck config. All others total shit. All OWB is 3 inches(!) from the belt counting width of .45

Concealable my ass.
Ironic huh? Someone in Texas getting gun advice from someone in Kalifornia?
Nox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nox For This Useful Post:
Reply

The Vette Barn - A Community for Corvette Lovers > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:50am.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2009 - 2018 The Vette Barn


Support the Barn:
 
Download the Mobile App;
 
Follow us on Facebook:

Become a Stall Owner

 

Apple iOS App        Google Android App

 

Visit our Facebook page