Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38am   #1
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902
Default Gun regulations - what you should be supporting

1) Magazines that hold no more than ten bullets. There isn't a reason in the world you need more than that unless you want to go on a mass killing spree.

2) Background checks for every gun purchase - no exceptions. Close the gun show loop hole.

That is rational, wouldn't affect any of you in any way, and would be supported by more than 80% of the population. It would calm the debate down and everyone could go on there merry way.

But because the NRA is beholden to the gun manufacturers and their members eat every turd they shit, they won't support any restrictions.

The end result is a lot more restrictions are going to be passed.

Conservatives didn't do shit with health care and Obamacare became the law of the land. Same thing is about to happen with guns. Its like republicans are incapable of learning.
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:19pm   #2
Doug28450
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1126385

Why?

Neither of those address the issue.
Doug28450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:24pm   #3
m and t's77
A Real Barner
Activity: 2.5%

Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,171 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3122345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug28450 View Post
Why?

Neither of those address the issue.
m and t's77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m and t's77 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 12:33pm   #4
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,423 Times in 17,231 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
1) Magazines that hold no more than ten bullets. There isn't a reason in the world you need more than that unless you want to go on a mass killing spree.

2) Background checks for every gun purchase - no exceptions. Close the gun show loop hole.

That is rational, wouldn't affect any of you in any way, and would be supported by more than 80% of the population. It would calm the debate down and everyone could go on there merry way.

But because the NRA is beholden to the gun manufacturers and their members eat every turd they shit, they won't support any restrictions.

Conservatives didn't do shit with health care and Obamacare became the law of the land. Same thing is about to happen with guns. Its like republicans are incapable of learning.
I totally disagree.

What your proposals will do is create millions of new criminals, where there were none before.

"There's no way to rule innocent men.
The only power government has is the power to crack down on criminals.
Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them.
One declares so many things to be a crime
that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws."

Ayn Rand

What proposal #1 does is turn me and millions of other Americans into criminals. Not only does that violate the 2nd Amendment, it is an ex post facto law. We aren't supposed to have those.

What # 2 does is turn other folks into criminals, or at least suspected criminals. My ex-wife's dad gave her a pistol for protection, before we started dating. Your law forces her to prove that that transaction took place before your law was passed. Guilty until proven innocent. Millions of Americans own private party sale guns. Your law makes every one of them PROVE that they bought their gun BEFORE this new law took place.

Do you own a toaster? Can you prove you bought it before a certain date?
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 12:59pm   #5
Loco Vette
Barn Stall Owner #54
Barn Raising II,III

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 4.7%

Thanked 6,916 Times in 2,619 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6027980

Quote:
Originally Posted by m and t's77 View Post
Loco Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Loco Vette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 1:05pm   #6
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
Bantayan Kids '14,'15,'17
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 12,538 Times in 5,853 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1084134

And how will any of them reduce crime?
VITE1 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 1:10pm   #7
Doug28450
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1126385

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
And how will any of them reduce crime?
They won't, but everyone will feel better and that is all that matters.
Doug28450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 1:25pm   #8
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug28450 View Post
They won't, but everyone will feel better and that is all that matters.
Yet the left fails to recognize that the Crime rates have been going down for the last 20 years in America. And that study after study shows NO correlation between Crime rate and access to guns but DO show correlation between Welfare and crime rates.

But they have done NOTHING to solve the root cause problem or crime. Welfare.

Cowards, All of them.

Last edited by VITE1; 03-30-2013 at 7:40am.
The Following User Says Thank You to VITE1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 2:08pm   #9
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 10.1%

Thanked 11,561 Times in 5,701 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITE1 View Post
Yet the left fails to recognize that the Crime rats have been going down for the last 20 years in America. And that study after study shows NO correlation between Crime rate and access to guns but DO show correlation between Welfare and crime rates.

But they have done NOTHING to solve the root cause problem or crime. Welfare.

Cowards, All of them.
END WELFARE and the drug problem dries up too.....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrvette For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 2:17pm   #10
VITE1
Barn Stall Owner #69
GTMS ‘18

Quote:

"40% of Gun Sales Made by Private Sellers" is An Outright Lie | The Truth About GunsThe Truth About Guns

“40% of Gun Sales Made by Private Sellers” is An Outright Lie
Quote:
Posted on March 26, 2013 by Nick Leghorn

Those who know me understand my deep and passionate hatred for the misuse of statistics. So when the President starts arguing for increased gun control based on numbers that wouldn’t be acceptable in a high school statistics course, I start throwing things at the flat screen. Thankfully, I also have a wonderful outlet called TTAG where I can outline exactly how full of crap that 40% figure that’s getting thrown around is . . .

One of the current focal points of the push for more gun control laws is that universal background checks. Ostensibly, it’s sold as a way to keep guns out of the hands of criminals and others who shouldn’t have them. But since mandatory background checks would be useless without a national gun registry, it makes me think that something else is afoot. Nevertheless, the argument that civilian disarmament proponents have latched onto is that 40% of all gun sales are currently completed without a background check. Even President Obama has used the figure.

Studies estimate that nearly 40 percent of all gun sales are made by private sellers who are exempt from [background checks]. (Jan. 16, 2013)

Studies? Really? Exactly which studies would those be? Turns out that this figure is based on a 1994 study by The Police Foundation that surveyed a whopping 251 people.

To give you how statistically bogus a sample size that small is, in order to be meaningful to 95% with a confidence interval of +/- 1, you would have needed to survey, at a minimum, 9,604 people at 1994′s U.S. population total. In this case, the confidence interval was more than +/- 6. That means the study wasn’t even approaching mere plausibility in terms of accuracy.

Let me make this even better. According to a recent analysis of the exact same study, the Washington Post concluded that the study actually indicates that private sales account for AT MOST 22% of sales. In 1994. So, even if we accept that the study is accurate (which it ain’t), the way in which it is being used in the media and by our own President is absolutely incorrect.

This is an abuse of statistics to a level that would make my high school math teacher want to chuck erasers at people.

The survey is so old that it can no longer be plausibly applied to the current situation, especially given that so many laws have been passed since this survey was completed that further restrict the ability for people to obtain a firearm without a background check.

Even setting aside that fact for a second, the results themselves are being misrepresented. The survey DOES NOT say that 40% of gun sales happen without a background check. It at most indicates 14 – 22% of sales are conducted in that manner. Of course, that’s +/- 6 percentage points due to the minuscule sample size.

This survey has nothing whatsoever to do with the current state of affairs in the United States. It’s an outdated, poorly designed study, one that would be laughed out of high school, and yet it it’s being held up as gospel in the gun control debate. It’s also indicative of just how far and how deep the gun control activists will go to find something — ANYTHING — that backs up their claim. And they have to resort to bogus number such as this because they know that results from all of the current, valid studies go against them.

Lies, damned lies and statistics. Especially in the hands of politicians, and TV hosts who don’t like doing the leg work to check their facts
Old 03-29-2013, 2:45pm   #11
6spdC6
A Real Barner
Activity: 34.2%

Location: NorthernNY! (A little town on the shores of the Great Sacandaga Lake) in the peoples republic of NY
Thanked 3,394 Times in 1,858 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2115673

Quote:

Our expert libby here show that guns and ammo is just another subject he knows nothing about.

O cool one just for your information the NRA is millions of honest taxpaying citizens, which is totally contrary to the major make up of the democraps party.
Due to all his bullshit I now nominate NY Governor Andy (Safe Act) Cuomo to be called Governor Moonbeam (EAST)
6spdC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 6spdC6 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 4:24pm   #12
FasterTraffic
A Real Barner

Thanked 2,735 Times in 1,411 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2008887

Quote:
This is arbitrary and idiotic. I'm neither a Delta Force operative, nor do I play one on TV, but I change a pistol magazine in about two seconds.

Or, for someone who doesn't plan to make it out alive, just take another weapon. It's not like you're going to care about spending more money if you plan to die during your attack.

The only thing it really accomplishes is that law-abiding folks have to spend more time reloading and less time shooting.
FasterTraffic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FasterTraffic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 7:40pm   #13
Stangkiller
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #5
Barn Raising I,II,III,IV
NCM Supporter '11,'12,'13,'14,'16,'17,'19,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.4%

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,935 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2173478

Ahh yes cause both of these solve major pressing issues in the Us. Far more important than balancing the budget and reducing the federal debt.

Oh wait a minute what were the problems these solve again?

Neither of these would have stopped or prevented any of the last mass shootings. Registering gun sales doesn't affect stolen or illegal guns, and mag thing that's just silly.

Phil you're still blaming inanimate objects for sick individuals, maybe it's time to take a look at the mental health in America. If you just want to reduce crime? Start reducing entitlements.
Stangkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stangkiller For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2013, 9:06pm   #14
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

1) Arbitrary and ill-informed. Large magazines are already out there. Criminals will continue to use them. It only limits the law abiding citizen.

2) How do you do that without registration. You're punishing law abiding gun owners without actually solving any problem.

I do support background checks for commercial purchases and gun shows (just as it is today). The other thing I would support is a method for voluntary background checks for private sales. I would be willing to perform a background check in the event of a private sale to someone I do not know. I find it unreasonable and stupid to have to perform a background check on a member of my family or a close friend. But that background check must be fast and affordable.

The other thing I support is actually prosecuting people for lying on background checks. 1500+ cases in the last year of people falsifying background checks. Under 50 people actually charged with a crime because of "lack of resources."

What you should be supporting is the elimination of gun free zones. They are a proven failure and do nothing but provide target rich zones.

You should also be in support of stronger punishment for gun crimes, rather than chasing down someone on Facebook who posted a picture of their child safely holding a rifle.
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 9:30pm   #15
Blademaker
Barn Stall Owner #89
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 5.0%

Thanked 6,760 Times in 3,415 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $536709986

And once again, shit stirring........
Blademaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 4:44am   #16
FoleyZ06
Vette Barn Regular

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $919

Baaa, the sheep need to go graze in the pasture...truly ignorant!
FoleyZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FoleyZ06 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 6:01am   #17
Broken Wind
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Thanked 2,418 Times in 934 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1013854
Default FU

Okay, so my memory isn't what it once was, but it's still better than most.

Aren't you the guy who said we have to compromise our principles on this issue or suffer the imposition of overbearing gun laws?

How's that assault weapons ban working for ya?
Broken Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Broken Wind For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10am   #18
73sbVert
Barn Stall Owner #20
Barn Stall Owner #33

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'13,'14,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 2.9%

Thanked 3,298 Times in 1,961 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $988270

Quote:

Umm, no, and no.

73sbVert is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 73sbVert For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 4:29am   #19
Torqaholic
A Real Barner
Activity: 20.5%

Thanked 4,383 Times in 2,402 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $15637580

The people of this country have already made preparations to defend themselves from the criminal scum destroying this nation. Our tools are going nowhere and we won't be signing onto any hit list.
Torqaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torqaholic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2013, 11:37am   #20
DJ_Critterus
Explosive Salami
Stall Owner #1120.2520

Location: Not Ceasing & Desisting on the leeward side of Anger Island
Thanked 27,931 Times in 11,806 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9018209

Given Joecoool's past threads and his insane stance on gun control, if he's supporting something AND preaching to us that we should also support it, you can guarandamtee that you should listen to none of his drivel and tell him to go **** off.
DJ_Critterus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJ_Critterus For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion