Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,765 Times in 758 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8563902
Default Immigration reform

Just got this email from the big guy -

Phil -

I went to El Paso, Texas, today to lay out a plan to do something big: fix America's broken immigration system.

It's an issue that affects you, whether you live in a border town like El Paso or not. Our immigration system reflects how we define ourselves as Americans -- who we are, who we will be -- and continued inaction poses serious costs for everyone.

Those costs are human, felt by millions of people here and abroad who endure years of separation or deferred dreams -- and millions more hardworking families whose wages are depressed when employers wrongly exploit a cheap source of labor. That's why immigration reform is also an economic imperative -- an essential step needed to strengthen our middle class, create new industries and new jobs, and make sure America remains competitive in the global economy.

Because this is such a tough problem -- one that politicians in Washington have been either exploiting or dodging, depending on the politics -- this change has to be driven by people like you.

Washington won't act unless you lead.

So if you're willing to do something about this critical issue, join our call for immigration reform now. Those who do will be part of our campaign to educate people on this issue and build the critical mass needed to make Washington act:

Join President Obama's call for immigration reform | Obama for America | barackobama.com

In recent years, concerns about whether border security and enforcement were tough enough were among the greatest impediments to comprehensive reform. They are legitimate issues that needed to be addressed -- and over the past two years, we have made great strides in enhancing security and enforcement.

We have more boots on the ground working to secure our southwest border than at any time in our history. We're going after employers who knowingly break the law. And we are deporting those who are here illegally. I know the increase in deportations has been a source of controversy, but I want to emphasize that we are focusing our limited resources on violent offenders and people convicted of crimes -- not families or people looking to scrape together an income.

So we've addressed the concerns raised by those who have stood in the way of progress in the past. And now that we have, it's time to build an immigration system that meets our 21st-century economic needs and reflects our values both as a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants.

Today, we provide students from around the world with visas to get engineering and computer science degrees at our top universities. But then our laws discourage them from using those skills to start a business or a new industry here in the United States. That just doesn't make sense.

We also need to stop punishing innocent young people for the actions of their parents -- and pass the DREAM Act so they can pursue higher education or become military service members in the country they know as home. We already know enormous economic benefits from the steady stream of talented and hardworking people coming to America. More than a century and a half ago, U.S. Steel's Andrew Carnegie was a 13-year-old brought here from Scotland by his family in search of a better life. And in 1979, a Russian family seeking freedom from Communism brought a young Sergey Brin to America -- where he would become a co-founder of Google.

Through immigration, we've become an engine of the global economy and a beacon of hope, ingenuity and entrepreneurship. We should make it easier for the best and brightest not only to study here, but also to start businesses and create jobs here. That's how we'll win the future.

Immigration is a complex issue that raises strong feelings. And as we push for long-overdue action, we're going to hear the same sort of ugly rhetoric that has delayed reform for years -- despite long and widespread recognition that our current system fails us all and hurts our economy.

So you and I need to be the ones talking about this issue in the language of hope, not fear -- in terms of how we are made stronger by our differences, and can be made stronger still.

Take a moment now to watch my El Paso speech and join this campaign for change:

Join President Obama's call for immigration reform | Obama for America | barackobama.com

Thank you,

Barack
Joecooool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 7:20am   #2
ChasC5
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $37320

I’m a simple pragmatic, progressive, but common sense type of person.

If the conversation on immigration is just a Dog Whistle for kicking Mexicans out of America, then I’m not naive enough to believe millions of people will just disappear. But if intelligent Adults are willing actually do something productive on immigration reform, then I’m all in for a thoughtful conversation with adults.

I’m in the IT Software Development Industry, and never in my life have I ever seen more people from India in this industry that I have over the last couple years. Especially contract (outsourced) resources. Now I refuse to believe, that after the worst Economic Collapse in my life time, that you can’t find Americans to fill IT Software Jobs.

Something doesn’t smell right about this …!

I know it’s all about “Cheap Labor”; and this is exactly the same type of issues and resonating around Mexican Labor.

So if you really want to have an Adult Conversation about immigration reform, America needs to stop playing hate games with Mexicans and check out their backside ... because India and China and other countries are counting that we get distracted with Mexicans, just like we got distracted with ours Wars.
ChasC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 8:25am   #3
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

I say we build a moat and throw the SOB in to test it's effectiveness. When he gets eaten we throw Pelosi in to make sure, then one more time with reid just to see if we need to improve anything.

Once it's perfected all liberals go in. Then peace will reign a thousand years.
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredSFC 97 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 8:35am   #4
ChasC5
Banned

Ok, now that we've heard from one of the most intelligent representatives from the others, maybe the Adults would like to chime in on Joecooool's Thread.
Old 05-11-2011, 8:39am   #5
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasC5 View Post
I’m a simple pragmatic, progressive, but common sense type of person.

If the conversation on immigration is just a Dog Whistle for kicking Mexicans out of America, then I’m not naive enough to believe millions of people will just disappear. But if intelligent Adults are willing actually do something productive on immigration reform, then I’m all in for a thoughtful conversation with adults.

I’m in the IT Software Development Industry, and never in my life have I ever seen more people from India in this industry that I have over the last couple years. Especially contract (outsourced) resources. Now I refuse to believe, that after the worst Economic Collapse in my life time, that you can’t find Americans to fill IT Software Jobs.

Something doesn’t smell right about this …!

I know it’s all about “Cheap Labor”; and this is exactly the same type of issues and resonating around Mexican Labor.

So if you really want to have an Adult Conversation about immigration reform, America needs to stop playing hate games with Mexicans and check out their backside ... because India and China and other countries are counting that we get distracted with Mexicans, just like we got distracted with ours Wars.
The catch here is that you're complaining about legal immigrants...completely different issue.

Though Democrats sure like to accuse Republicans of complaining about immigration (legal and illegal) as a single entity...
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 9:01am   #6
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fowler View Post
The catch here is that you're complaining about legal immigrants...completely different issue.

Though Democrats sure like to accuse Republicans of complaining about immigration (legal and illegal) as a single entity...
IMMIGRATION needs to be Reformed.

Our Legal System Determines what is Legal and Illegal.

One has to come before the other.

First we determine what is Legal and what are the Rules.

Then we apply the Laws.
Old 05-11-2011, 9:07am   #7
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

Quote:
IMMIGRATION needs to be Reformed.

Our Legal System Determines what is Legal and Illegal.

One has to come before the other.

First we determine what is Legal and what are the Rules.

Then we apply the Laws.
We know what's legal and what's not. There are defined legal ways to immigrate and illegal ways to immigrate. There are defined ways to get a work Visa, resident status and becoming a citizen.
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 9:12am   #8
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Fowler View Post
We know what's legal and what's not. There are defined legal ways to immigrate and illegal ways to immigrate. There are defined ways to get a work Visa, resident status and becoming a citizen.
So the only question remaining is the obvious one; what to do with the Millions that are already here illegally.

It's easy to say just kick them out.

It's harder to actually think of a realistic solution.
Old 05-11-2011, 9:32am   #9
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Quote:
So the only question remaining is the obvious one; what to do with the Millions that are already here illegally.

It's easy to say just kick them out.

It's harder to actually think of a realistic solution.
Its not hard to think of a realistic solution, its hard to get conservatives to vote for one.

By the way, I read an article a few weeks ago about who actually employs illegals. The vast majority are small business owners. These same small business owners are something like 80% conservative republicans.
Old 05-11-2011, 9:38am   #10
ChasC5
Banned

bilmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post
Its not hard to think of a realistic solution, its hard to get conservatives to vote for one.

By the way, I read an article a few weeks ago about who actually employs illegals. The vast majority are small business owners. These same small business owners are something like 80% conservative republicans.
They really have a difficult time finding their true identity. They support the Rich, but the Rich wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. They piss on the poor, but they themselves are a stones throw away from being in the same line as the poor.
Old 05-11-2011, 9:59am   #11
RetiredSFC 97
Barn Stall Owner #63
Activity: 2.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $32270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post

bullshit. The pubs granted amnesty once and look how that turned out. and there is a huge difference in businesses who employ these people and most of main stream conservatives. And I need facts to prove 80% are conservatives who employ them, otherwise it's an opinion of yours.
RetiredSFC 97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:03am   #12
Scissors
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $366874

The two major problems:
1. There's a cap, making it literally impossible for most of those who want to enter legally to do so.
2. Our application process is primarily a money-making scheme. We have potential legal immigrants fill out paperwork and pay an application fee, then we deny them and keep their money. Over and over again. Why keep spending money to not get in when you can spend less to probably get in?
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scissors For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 10:45am   #13
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 8.6%

Thanked 11,553 Times in 5,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

All we really need to do is start dropping and leave the bodies to rot....message sent....they stop coming.....

as for the one's here, figger 100k bux fine for employing any illegals....guess what?? no speak english like a 'Merican......they are illegal....

unless of course they have papers to prove it.....

we on this street know of maybe 1/2 dzn houses in this hood that house well over 8 people every night, illegals.....should be a major fine to rent to them also....talking 100k bux again....

Thomas Edison

All products should say "Do not use if your stupid".....

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:25am   #14
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
All we really need to do is start dropping and leave the bodies to rot....message sent....they stop coming.....

as for the one's here, figger 100k bux fine for employing any illegals....guess what?? no speak english like a 'Merican......they are illegal....

we on this street know of maybe 1/2 dzn houses in this hood that house well over 8 people every night, illegals.....should be a major fine to rent to them also....talking 100k bux again....

So in your world, Illegal Aliens are exclusively Mexicans’
Old 05-11-2011, 11:44am   #15
Scissors
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post

Dude, you don't speak English like a "'Merican".
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54am   #16
Joecooool
Barn Stall Owner #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scissors View Post
Old 05-11-2011, 12:05pm   #17
Scissors
A Real Barner

Some interesting info here:

From 1980 to 1999, the rate of illegal immigration kept rising. From 860,000 in 1980-1984 to 3,080,000 in 1995-1999. After that point, the rate of illegal immigration has been falling, down to 910,000 as of 2005-2008.
Just thought those of you who think we aren't doing anything about it should know.

Of all of the illegal immigrants in the U.S., 62% were originally from Mexico (no surprise). All of the other groups are at 5% or below:
Mexico - 62%
El Salvador - 5%
Guatemala - 4%
Honduras - 3%
Philippines - 2% (obviously a border control issue)
India - 2% (same)
Korea - 2% (same)
Ecuador - 2%
Brazil - 1%
China - 1% (see "Philippines")
Everyone else - 15%

The total number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. has dropped from 11,780,000 in Jan 2007, to 10,750,000 in Jan 2009. Good job Obama.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:20pm   #18
ChasC5
Banned

Quote:
Some interesting info here:

From 1980 to 1999, the rate of illegal immigration kept rising. From 860,000 in 1980-1984 to 3,080,000 in 1995-1999. After that point, the rate of illegal immigration has been falling, down to 910,000 as of 2005-2008.
Just thought those of you who think we aren't doing anything about it should know.

Of all of the illegal immigrants in the U.S., 62% were originally from Mexico (no surprise). All of the other groups are at 5% or below:
Mexico - 62%
El Salvador - 5%
Guatemala - 4%
Honduras - 3%
Philippines - 2% (obviously a border control issue)
India - 2% (same)
Korea - 2% (same)
Ecuador - 2%
Brazil - 1%
China - 1% (see "Philippines")
Everyone else - 15%

The total number of illegal immigrants in the U.S. has dropped from 11,780,000 in Jan 2007, to 10,750,000 in Jan 2009. Good job Obama.
It’s due mainly by putting actual humans on the border … imagine that? All we need to do, it put those expensive, highly trained American Troops and utilize some of that expensive technology on our own border and you’ll see those number drop big time.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:25pm   #19
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
So in your world, Illegal Aliens are exclusively Mexicans’
Probably 90%.....close enough for conversational numbers.....

Oh, when I say the colloquial 'Mexican' I mean from L. Amer/Central Amer....

Thomas Edison

All products should say "Do not use if your stupid".....

I love how Progressives want to have Darwinism taught in schools but denied as a reality in life.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:26pm   #20
mrvette
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
bet if U stick a round, U 2 kan tipe fyne englush like me....

and I can dangle my party nipple wit de best of dem.....

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion