Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Corvette Events/Regional Discussion > Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc.

Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc. Road course, Auto-X events and discussion

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54am   #1
cor123
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 1.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1665
Default Corvette Racing at VIR

CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: GT Championships in Sight

ALMS manufacturer, team titles within reach in next-to-last round

DETROIT (Oct. 1, 2013) – Twelve months ago, Corvette Racing and Chevrolet celebrated a championship weekend at Virginia International Raceway (VIR). Now let’s fast-forward to the present day – Chevrolet and Corvette Racing are on the verge of securing a repeat championship titles in the American Le Mans Series... once again at VIR.

The Oak Tree Grand Prix on Saturday, Oct. 5 could see the ALMS GT team and manufacturer championships wrapped up. The two yellow Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.Rs have five victories between them: three for the No. 3 of Antonio Garcia and Jan Magnussen – Laguna Seca, Baltimore and Circuit of The Americas – and two for Oliver Gavin and Tommy Milner in the No. 4 Corvette – Sebring and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park.

All Corvette Racing needs to win its 10th ALMS team championship is for either of the two cars to finish sixth or better in class at VIR. A victory for either Corvette would secure Chevrolet’s 10th manufacturer title with one race left in the season. That’s what happened in 2012 – Gavin and Milner’s triumph landed them the drivers’ championship, Chevrolet clinched the manufacturers’ crown and Corvette Racing wrapped up the team title.

In the drivers’ standings, Garcia and Magnussen are in the midst of a remarkable run of three wins and two podium finishes in the last six races. That streak places them in the lead of the championship despite coming away from the season’s first race at Sebring with no points.

Saturday’s race is set for 2:15 p.m. ET with live coverage on ESPN3 beginning at 2 p.m. ESPN2’s coverage airs at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.

VIR, which opened in 1957, has been a happy hunting ground for Corvette’s stable of four drivers. In addition to his GT victory last year with Gavin, Milner also won in GRAND-AM competition in 2005. The Virginia native made his professional debut in GT racing a year earlier and claimed pole position.

Magnussen also is a past winner at VIR in Rolex Series competition having taken a Daytona Prototype victory in 2007. This will mark Garcia’s fourth straight year competing at the venue, and he posted the fastest GT lap of the race in 2012. He and Magnussen placed eighth in class last season.

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

ANTONIO GARCIA, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“VIR is a race track that I’ve always liked since I went there for the first time in 2010. Overall, the track has a lot of momentum and flow. The backstraight is the only place where you are not turning and are just going straight. Everywhere else, you need to place the car well. As you go toward the Oak Tree Corner, which sadly is missing the Oak Tree now – and the other side of the track, you have a section of very, very fast corners. The first time you go through there can be a little scary. No matter what car you are driving, you are flat or just breathing a little off the throttle at the last corner. The track is very challenging and very narrow with no room for even little mistakes. There is no runoff. If you crash there, it’s going to be big.”

(More conservative given lack of runoff?) “The thing about the ALMS is that you can’t be conservative. There will always be someone who is not and will be faster than you. You really need to give everything you can even if in the back of your mind, you know you will be in a big one if you go off the track. I like VIR because of that factor. You are willing to nail everything at 100 percent but if you go over just a little bit, it’s likely you will have a big off.”

(Similar to other ALMS venues?) “I would say VIR is a bit like Road America and Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. You really need to get in a rhythm, and it takes some time to get to that point. But once you are there, it looks like you are way more relaxed and the level of stress goes a little bit lower. For sure, the first time people race at VIR and go through sections like the esses, it is very stressful. But once you do it flat, you realize it is possible and you relax slightly.”

(Championship thoughts): “It’s a mistake to start thinking about the championship with still two races to go. We’ve seen that anything can happen. We need to remain focused and take care of the next two races. Then we will be champions.”

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“I’ve raced at VIR in the past with the Rolex Series, and all the way back in the Panoz days we would test there. I really enjoy the track and the whole area. We will race for the first time there without the Oak Tree. It was very much the trademark of the track but it will still be a good race without it.

“The circuit is pretty narrow with some really, really fast sections. It’s very hard to pass at VIR, especially with the situation we are in with top speed. But we do have a very good-handling car. It will be tough for us to pass anyone but I have great faith in the guys that if we are a little behind, we can turn it around with a minimum of two stops. It’s different from last year when it was a four-hour race. We will have to go there and see if we can qualify toward the front. When we aren’t the fastest car, much more emphasis goes into qualifying because you can control the race from the front. It’s much harder controlling anything when you’re fifth.”

(Championship chase) “The importance of the win at Laguna Seca proved to the No. 3 team that it was possible to win. We had a whole 2012 season where we were fast and had a shot but something would always happen. As a result, we had a season with no wins. We started off at Sebring this year really poorly; Long Beach was a decent weekend but wasn’t great. Laguna proved that if we were perfect, we could win. It turned things around a little bit.

“I have to say that just because we won (in Monterey) that come VIR we would be leading the championship. After Sebring, I wrote off the championship completely. We thought we weren’t going to catch up and just went for wins. Maybe we would risk things once in awhile. Now things have changed and we’re in the lead and have to conserve things to make sure we get points.”

OLIVER GAVIN, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“VIR is very much a momentum track, and our cars are very good in those areas and on the brakes. There are a few heavy brake zones around the circuit where our car is pretty strong. It is a circuit that is very challenging and one that is narrow. It usually punishes you pretty badly if you make mistakes. You have to use every bit of the track to be quick but you have to drive it with some respect. It isn’t a place where you can really attack and be very aggressive like Road America. At VIR, you have to turn the dial back just one notch so you aren’t too aggressive. If you are, you’re going off the track, onto the grass and you’re not coming back for quite awhile. Along with that you’ll pick up all kinds of junk and rubbish in the radiator. It will for certain make your race that much harder. With all that in mind, you have to be aware that it can bite you.”

(Championship outlook after COTA) “What happened in Austin was bitterly disappointing. From us leading in the championship and being in control of our title run, now we are very much on the back foot with only two races to go and us having to have other people run into poor luck. For Tommy and I, we won’t necessarily be driving with caution in mind. We really just have to go for it and go for wins over the next two races. We have to try and score maximum points to give ourselves a chance and see how others’ races go. There still is some 12 hours and 45 minutes of racing to go in the season so there is still plenty that can happen. We know from our experience at COTA that it can turn around very quickly. It’s not all lost and the possibility of winning is still there. But it does give us a mountain to climb. We can’t afford to sit back and be content to collect points. We have to maximize every opportunity.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“The track does have significance in my career. It was where I got my start in professional GT racing. I did my first race there in 2004 with my dad’s team and won my first GT pole – I outqualified Bill Auberlen and Boris Said to do that. It was great to go there last year and clinch my first ALMS championship at VIR where my GT racing career started. That was pretty special to have that connection at a race track like that. It’s a fantastic circuit with a very pretty setting and has a traditional, old-school feel to it. They took a piece of land, put down roads where it looked good, left the elevation changes and didn’t touch much of the surrounding area. That’s how Canadian Tire Motorsport Park is, and that’s how VIR is. I have fun racing on those tracks and have had recent success racing there, so let’s hope that continues.”

(On difference in venues between Austin and VIR) “I would rate COTA and VIR similar in their feel, so to speak. The big difference is that Austin is very wide and spacious with a lot of run-off room, and VIR is very narrow and doesn’t have a lot of run-off. The flow to the racetrack is very similar between the two. Obviously, your heart rate is a little bit higher at VIR; you know that any little mistake will send you off the track. Fortunately there is a lot of grass and not anything solid! But running on grass will slow down your momentum and kill your laptime and lot faster than running on dirty asphalt like at COTA.

(Traffic concerns) “One of my concerns last year was traffic, based on experience from years past. The track was just as narrow as I remembered. But as the race went on and traffic went along, for the most part it wasn’t nearly as bad as I expected. Everyone played nicely. The way the classes were spaced at that moment suited what the track offered. Yes, there are sections where traffic holds you up, and it is frustrating. You wish the slower cars weren’t there. But I can tell you from experience that there are tracks where it’s way worse than that just because of the nature of the track and how the corners are linked. I didn’t have any real issue last year and I don’t see it being any bigger of a problem this year.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

“VIR is a venue that promotes fantastic racing. Even with a lap of more than three miles, there is no chance to rest with a great combination of slow-to mid-speed turns early in the lap and then a very long section of high-speed corners and a massive backstretch. As evidenced at all our previous events, the competition in the ALMS GT class is extremely well balanced. Winning here will take a total team effort – the kind of effort that wins championships.”

Oak Tree Grand Prix (all times ET)

GT Testing: 3:30-5 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 3
Practice 1: 10:25 a.m., Friday, Oct. 4
Practice 2: 2:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4
GT Qualifying: 4:05 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4
Warmup: 9:35 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 5
Race: 2:15 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

VIR: Watch It!

Friday, Oct. 4-Sunday, Oct. 6 (all times ET)

Qualifying: Live – 3:35 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4 (ESPN3)
Race (Web): Live – 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5 (ESPN3)
Race (TV): 5:30 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 6 (ESPN2)
cor123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 3:06pm   #2
cor123
Vette Barn Crew

ANTONIO GARCIA: Inside Track at VIR

Last year may have been the first race for the American Le Mans Series at VIR, but it wasn’t the first visit there for Antonio Garcia. Corvette Racing’s speedy Spaniard raced there twice in the GRAND-AM Rolex Sports car Series’ Daytona Prototype class, and he parlayed that experience into the fastest GT race lap in the ALMS’ debut last season – 1:47.389 (109.620 mph).

Garcia, who leads the ALMS GT championship with Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.R, tells you what he looks for during a lap at VIR.

“VIR is a race track that I’ve always liked since I went there for the first time in 2010. Overall, the track has a lot of momentum and flow. The backstraight is the only place where you are not turning and are just going straight. Everywhere else, you need to place the car well – especially in the first bit where there is a little combination of some slow-speed corners. As you go toward the Oak Tree Corner, which sadly is missing the Oak Tree now – and the other side of the track, you have a section of very, very fast corners. The first time you go through there can be a little scary. No matter what car you are driving, you are flat or just breathing a little on the throttle at the last corner. The track is very challenging and very narrow with no room for even little mistakes.

“Braking is very important into Turn 1 and also at the end of the backstraight. You need to be able to brake very late because both of the entries are rather bumpy. You really need to nail the curbing where you shift just to make the line smooth. Through the esses, drivers – like Jan! – run over all the curbing. The esses give you the chance to do that although I’m not really keen on working on the curbs. I have a line through there where I don’t use a lot of curbing. But going through there really is the moment of your lap. Everyone tries to take a line to get through there as flat as possible until the last right-hander before the downhill toward Oak Tree. I don’t think there is much to be gained by going flat versus breathing a little bit. Another point is the Oak Tree corner. In the past, the Oak Tree would not really let you see the apex because it would be right behind the tree. I don’t know how it will be now, but for sure the corner is one where you need to give away the entry a little in order to go back on power early because the backstraight is so long. From Turn 4 up until Oak Tree are the key points of the race track.

“If you’re running in a group or in traffic, for sure the most difficult section would be the esses. Really it’s Turn 3 up until Oak Tree is the most important. If you are in a group, chasing traffic or traffic is catching you, that does give you a chance to make up time on your competition if you get through there cleanly. It’s important that if someone is coming on you that you let him know where you are going to go and where you want to be passed. Otherwise there can be a misunderstanding between drivers and that’s when big crashes happen.”

Saturday’s race is set for 2:15 p.m. ET with live coverage on ESPN3 beginning at 2 p.m. ESPN2’s coverage airs at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.

· GT Testing: 3:30-5 p.m., Thursday, Oct. 3

· Practice 1: 10:25 a.m., Friday, Oct. 4

· Practice 2: 2:30 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4

· GT Qualifying: 4:05 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4

· Warmup: 9:35 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

· Race: 2:15 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

Friday, Oct. 4-Sunday, Oct. 6 (all times ET)

· Qualifying: Live – 3:35 p.m., Friday, Oct. 4 (ESPN3)

· Race (Web): Live – 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5 (ESPN3)

· Race (TV): 5:30 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 6 (ESPN2)
Old 10-04-2013, 7:54pm   #3
cor123
Vette Barn Crew

CORVETTE RACING AT VIR: Uphill Climb Following Qualifying

Magnussen eighth in GT; Milner ninth following spin on oil slick

ALTON, Va. (Oct. 4, 2013) – Corvette Racing faces a tall mountain to climb for Saturday’s Oak Tree Grand Prix at Virginia International Raceway. The two Compuware Chevrolet Corvette C6.Rs qualified eighth and ninth Friday in the American Le Mans Series’ ultra-competitive GT class.

Jan Magnussen in the No. 3 Compuware Corvette set the team’s best time in the 15-minute session at 1:46.923 (110.098 mph). Tommy Milner, driving the No. 4 Corvette, was next in the order at 1:47.038 (109.980 mph) but the defending race and ALMS GT co-champion spun on another car’s oil and fluid at VIR’s famed Oak Tree turn with four minutes left in the session. The damage was confined to the front-left portion of the Corvette.

Corvette Racing seeks its 10th ALMS GT team championship, which it can achieve with a sixth-place class finish or better. Chevrolet will wrap up the manufacturer title with a victory in Saturday’s race, set for 2:15 p.m. ET. Live coverage on ESPN3 begins at 2 p.m.; ESPN2’s coverage airs at 5:30 p.m. ET on Sunday.

Magnussen and Antonio Garcia are on a two-race winning streak, and their three victories are the most in the GT class this season. The pair leads the drivers’ championship by 13 points – 44 remain over the final two rounds.

Milner and Oliver Gavin won last year’s race at VIR to take the drivers’ title. It also delivered the manufacturer championship for Chevrolet and team title to Corvette Racing. Entering the weekend, they stand third in the GT standings and are 18 points back of their teammates in the No. 3 Corvette.

EDITORS: High-resolution images of Corvette Racing are available on the Team Chevy media site for editorial use only.

JAN MAGNUSSEN, NO. 3 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“That was a tough session for both Corvettes. The car was actually pretty balanced.

The only strategy we can look at now is that we need to react to what everyone else does. We need to try to stay clean and get as many points we can. The chance of getting 20 points is slim. But if we’re good for 10 points, we’d better get 10 points.”

TOMMY MILNER, NO. 4 COMPUWARE CORVETTE C6.R

“Looking at the track now, you can see a pretty big wet spot on the track. I had just wound up for another quick lap and wound some front brake bias into the car. My first indication of it was when I went for the brakes and locked the front. The first reaction was that I went too far on the front brake bias and just went off. I started apologizing to the crew over the radio. When I finished, Chuck (Houghton, No. 4 engineer) said, ‘I don’t think it was your fault. It looks like there was something on the race track.’

(The session) “It’s not the best qualifying all the way around. We have struggled all weekend but I think everyone has with grip levels and other areas. Maybe we are having the worst of it. We’re not miles off the pace but would like to be farther up the grid than where we are now. The good thing is that our pit crews have been phenomenal all year long. We are making the most of things because we have the right strategy calls, not making mistakes and the pit work has been great. They’ll always be up to the task and will gain us a couple spots if we need.”

DOUG FEHAN, CORVETTE RACING PROGRAM MANAGER

“Today was a difficult and frustrating day. Weather conditions compounded by a tricky and dirty race track proved to be a difficult challenge to overcome. But those out there at follow Corvette Racing know that we never give up. COTA was a perfect example of coming home victorious and not necessarily having the fastest car.”

· Warmup: 9:35 a.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

· Race: 2:15 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5

Saturday, Oct. 4-Sunday, Oct. 6 (all times ET)

· Race (Web): Live – 2 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 5 (ESPN3)

· Race (TV): 5:30 p.m., Sunday, Oct. 6 (ESPN2)

The Vette Barn > Corvette Events/Regional Discussion > Road Courses, Auto-X, Etc.