Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2010, 7:39am   #41
Sneaks
Charter Member - C5 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #41
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,291 Times in 827 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8192878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me View Post

Busted!
But notice I DID spell it right in my first post of it. I wondered who was going to get it.
Old 11-04-2010, 4:39pm   #42
09CTSV
Charter Member
Barn Raising II,III

Thanked 1,686 Times in 652 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2106426

Back in 1988 I got pulled over by a lovely VA State Trooper at 1:00 AM for allegedly doing 90 in a 55. When I walked back to the car and sat in it I told him I was only doing 70. He said he clocked me at 90, I asked what the flashing 70 on the radar detector meant and he turned it away and said don't worry about that. I had three other people in the car willing to testify of a Mustang passing us in the left lane while we were cruising along on the State Road 44. I could not have them testify, the office lied in court and got away with it. When asked about the radar his statement was he didn't have to show it to me and would not acknowledge the speed flashing on it. When asked about other cars he said mine was the only one. I had not been drinking, the others in the car had been, so I was not afraid to stand up some that night.
I was fined $500 and lost my driving privileges, in the military with out of state tags and license, for six months. I kept driving for two reasons. One they have to give you notice with a certified letter, and two they didn't have my local address where I was living.
Michigan gave me a careless driving with two points and thumbed their noses at the communist state of VA.

My favorite is getting pulled over for speeding 53 in a 35. Speed limit in the area was 50 and didn't drop down to 35 for a quarter mile from where I was pulled over. Went back took pictures the whole nine yards. When I went to court they tried to change the ticket to 53 in a 50, needless to say there was some blood letting with the judge and officer by my attorney that day.

I've been pulled over twice since living in Indiana and kindly let go with a warning to slow it down a little. I admitted I was speeding when pulled over and told them I just drifted thinking of work and not paying attention to the speed, it's hard to judge in the Caddy. Very professional officers and they have my utmost respect compared to VA.
09CTSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 6:53pm   #43
lutzdog
Charter Member
Barn Raising II

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $595211

lmao u guys always bring a smile to my face. I am not a rookie anymore so chasing tickets aint my gig. I love it. Thats why I joined the Ratpack.
lutzdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 7:55am   #44
YorkL8apex
Charter Member - C4 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #91
Activity: 0.3%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2164

As I've said before I've been lucky, when pulled over I usually get a reasonable officer and for over 15 years and about 3 routine 53 in a 35 or 45 zone warnings can't personally complain.

My daughter has had two BS tickets in about 5 years (yeah I know she's my daughter but I've raced with her and ridden with her and she IS a good driver!)

Ticket 1: I 95 southbound South Carolina by her self headed back to Savannah from Myrtyle Beach, speed limit 65 speed 72mph. Some guy starts pacing her, you know the type, riding beside her, she changes her speed and he just stays beside her, goes on for miles and she gets tired and little wary of the guy and decides to leave him. Pumps it up to ove 75 and of couse the ahole continues to pace her. About that time SC Trooper pulld both over for "racing" she tells him what was going on and he blows her off and writes her a ticket. She's in a 4 banger and races in a ZR-1, come on ,she does not need to feel the speed in her ecobox!!!! Left lane aholes are the real problem on interstates!!!

Ticket 2: Again in SC driving home from her job at a hospital at the end of a pack of 5-7 cars, she is the only GA plates and gets pulled for following too close on dry roads. She sees the local in the median just before the bridge leavign town. Four lane highway, right lane about 57 in a 55 zone. Seethe cop pull out so does not pass the pack of SC cars in case the cop wants to go by. Cop pulls in behind her, follws her across the bridge at below the speed limit and pulls her for following too close when they get off the bridge. $155 ticket for a student working clinic at Beaufort Hospital, She can't believe it and tells the officer so, he says "Tell it to the judge" . Weany would not even tell her why he pulled her over when she asked him and slipped the ticket in with her licence and registration when he gave it back.

I know its a job and someone has to do it, but make 'em worth while and give a crap about the impact on a good citizen's wallet and insurance impact when enforcing the law for safety sake.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:15am   #45
paulp
Vette Barn Regular

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $992

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkL8apex View Post
As I've said before I've been lucky, when pulled over I usually get a reasonable officer and for over 15 years and about 3 routine 53 in a 35 or 45 zone warnings can't personally complain.

My daughter has had two BS tickets in about 5 years (yeah I know she's my daughter but I've raced with her and ridden with her and she IS a good driver!)

Ticket 1: I 95 southbound South Carolina by her self headed back to Savannah from Myrtyle Beach, speed limit 65 speed 72mph. Some guy starts pacing her, you know the type, riding beside her, she changes her speed and he just stays beside her, goes on for miles and she gets tired and little wary of the guy and decides to leave him. Pumps it up to ove 75 and of couse the ahole continues to pace her. About that time SC Trooper pulld both over for "racing" she tells him what was going on and he blows her off and writes her a ticket. She's in a 4 banger and races in a ZR-1, come on ,she does not need to feel the speed in her ecobox!!!! Left lane aholes are the real problem on interstates!!!

Ticket 2: Again in SC driving home from her job at a hospital at the end of a pack of 5-7 cars, she is the only GA plates and gets pulled for following too close on dry roads. She sees the local in the median just before the bridge leavign town. Four lane highway, right lane about 57 in a 55 zone. Seethe cop pull out so does not pass the pack of SC cars in case the cop wants to go by. Cop pulls in behind her, follws her across the bridge at below the speed limit and pulls her for following too close when they get off the bridge. $155 ticket for a student working clinic at Beaufort Hospital, She can't believe it and tells the officer so, he says "Tell it to the judge" . Weany would not even tell her why he pulled her over when she asked him and slipped the ticket in with her licence and registration when he gave it back.

I know its a job and someone has to do it, but make 'em worth while and give a crap about the impact on a good citizen's wallet and insurance impact when enforcing the law for safety sake.

Definately know what you mean the cop that pulled me over just didnt care just seemed like he was happy as **** cause he slapped a reckless on me, even after i told him about the guy riding my ass and him knowing no one does 55 on 168 which i drive everyday and the usual speed is 65+ just to keep up with traffic. Would have been nice if he would of just lowered it so i can just pay the ticket and not have to deal with all the bull with courts/lawyers etc etc. Ah well whats done is done just need to move on and just be more careful.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:38am   #46
lutzdog
Charter Member
Barn Raising II

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CTSV View Post
Back in 1988 I got pulled over by a lovely VA State Trooper at 1:00 AM for allegedly doing 90 in a 55. When I walked back to the car and sat in it I told him I was only doing 70. He said he clocked me at 90, I asked what the flashing 70 on the radar detector meant and he turned it away and said don't worry about that. I had three other people in the car willing to testify of a Mustang passing us in the left lane while we were cruising along on the State Road 44. I could not have them testify, the office lied in court and got away with it. When asked about the radar his statement was he didn't have to show it to me and would not acknowledge the speed flashing on it. When asked about other cars he said mine was the only one. I had not been drinking, the others in the car had been, so I was not afraid to stand up some that night.
I was fined $500 and lost my driving privileges, in the military with out of state tags and license, for six months. I kept driving for two reasons. One they have to give you notice with a certified letter, and two they didn't have my local address where I was living.
Michigan gave me a careless driving with two points and thumbed their noses at the communist state of VA.

My favorite is getting pulled over for speeding 53 in a 35. Speed limit in the area was 50 and didn't drop down to 35 for a quarter mile from where I was pulled over. Went back took pictures the whole nine yards. When I went to court they tried to change the ticket to 53 in a 50, needless to say there was some blood letting with the judge and officer by my attorney that day.

I've been pulled over twice since living in Indiana and kindly let go with a warning to slow it down a little. I admitted I was speeding when pulled over and told them I just drifted thinking of work and not paying attention to the speed, it's hard to judge in the Caddy. Very professional officers and they have my utmost respect compared to VA.

There is always two sides to every coin. I live by the motto " I would rather let 10 Guilty men go free before we imprison 1 innocent man ". If I am not sure then whatever. But you do have the ticket machines that love writing tickets maybe he got complacent I don't know I wasn't alive back then lol. The following rules don't apply to those individuals. If you are a Douche before you join then you will be a douche no matter what and you can't help them.

I will let you in on a little secret. 90% of officers will let you go on a ticket if you follow these simple rules 1. Don't be a douche as soon as they walk up to the window. 2. Don't argue, calmly talk. Most are looking for other things not tickets and as soon as they see ur not a mule or up to no good they let you go.

Now when you are on the roads of the communist state of VA or whatever state you are in and you see the sign that says 45...55....65 etc. Then that is the speed limit and if you as an individual free of alcohol or drugs decides to drive your vehicle above that speed then you sign yourself up to be picked on by the Gestapos of this state. When said investigative detention happens and you decide to break Rule #1 or Rule #2 and the Gestapos decide to break out the code book and explain to you why they are jacking your vehicle up to check your brakes (and yes we have the authority to conduct spot vehicle inspections anywhere) please don't ask why.

The trooper that pulled you over back then and wrote you the ticket was wrong if in fact your version is 100% If your version is correct than a reprehensible act was committed and you were wronged and the system should apologize to you. But to lump all the officers in VA as liars and unprofessional I don't think if fair but you are entitled to you opinion. I am also glad to know that all the Douche bag officers have moved out of Indiana cuz when I was in Gary as a kid there were plenty!

Sometimes I wish I had joined the military. Cuz when someone is punching you in the face and pointing a gun at you fighting you because they don't want to go to jail over a crack rock. Instead of saying please sir/maam put the gun down and cease the violence please you would just switch your machine gun to full auto and make em a stain.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:44am   #47
lutzdog
Charter Member
Barn Raising II

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorkL8apex View Post

hmmmmmmm sounds like Douches there too. Thats it lets all move to Indiana!!!
Old 11-08-2010, 10:20pm   #48
Eagleeye
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2288

52 years of Virginia driving I've gotten a total of four tickets with the first in 1964 and the last in 1999. Had any reasonable officer tagged behind me for all those years I probably DIDN'T get a ticket a few thousand times !...SO... I think this a great state to drive in. Its all your point of view.
Eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 9:05pm   #49
paulp
Vette Barn Regular

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $992

update went to court walked up to the judge told him i had a bad day at work had a guy tailgate me on the way home i was in the wrong for speeding. judge says ok 168.00 fine and court costs go pay your bill outside. So i guess i got out ok and have reckless on my record so i just need to be careful from now on.
Old 01-09-2011, 9:58pm   #50
son93sl2
Vette Barn Crew
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $352394

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp View Post
update went to court walked up to the judge told him i had a bad day at work had a guy tailgate me on the way home i was in the wrong for speeding. judge says ok 168.00 fine and court costs go pay your bill outside. So i guess i got out ok and have reckless on my record so i just need to be careful from now on.
did u have a lawyer?

Cincinnati Wedding & Fashion Photographer | www.i2istudios.com
son93sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 11:09pm   #51
Flatbush Harry
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107891

Quote:
So i got a nice reckless driving ticket on 168 tonite, mandatory court appearance. Was getting on 168 from 64 and was going maybe 60-65 and was in the fast lane then some idiot merging over from 464 i guess, decided to almost get in my lane then duck in behind me riding my bumper and stays on my bumper and i get a little ticked off. So i drop it down 2 gears and get out of his way so he can get by (me not paying attention to my speed of course cause im watching said idiot behind me). I never saw the cop only untill i saw some flashing lights behind me and i pull over and he says you know why i pulled you over? before i could say anything he says 86 and i say really? and proceeded to tell him about the guy riding my bumper but i know its me he caught and reason why he could care less. So anyone had a reckless driving ticket in Va. I been reading it could be up to a $2500 fine and a year in jail.... and of course points off my license and higher insurance premiums. Oh and i wasnt in the corvette i was in a mustang
Also, it's an E felony. Lawyer up, and good luck.

I had the pleasure of a wreck on I95 in Fredericksburg about 13 years ago after passing out from what appeared to be a Carbon Monoxide leak into the cockpit of my Hertz car. The State Trooper who came to the scene as I was loaded into the ambulance came to the hospital and, apologetically, wrote me up for Reckless Driving, per the VA codes. He suggested I:

1) get a lawyer
2) plead not guilty
3) ask for a reduced charge to which I could plead guilty

I ended up having a hearing in Fredericksburg General Court, in which I defended myself, citing probable CO poisoning per my doctor whose notes in re the medical report from the hospital at which I was treated opined that the probable cause was CO poisoning. The judge bought that, pronounced me not guilty and suggested that I had a pretty good future at the criminal defense bar. He guffawed when I explained that I was not a lawyer but, rather, had obtained a fine legal education watching Matlock and Law & Order re-runs.

One word of advice: when you go to a VA court, wear a grey suit rather than a blue one and, importantly, a red, white and blue STRIPED tie.

Har(hic)ry, raconteur extraordinaire
Flatbush Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:46am   #52
LilRedCorvette
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.7%

Thanked 3,565 Times in 1,393 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3016342

Quote:
Big mistake not hiring a lawyer IMO. Yes, lawyers are $$$, but he/she could have gotten it reduced. Now, you have a reckless on your driving record and your insurance will go way up and stay there for a long time. In the long run, the lawyer fee would have been cheaper.
Old 01-10-2011, 12:59am   #53
Me2
Barn Raising I
Activity: 2.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1247236

Never mind...............

Last edited by Me2; 01-10-2011 at 1:01am. Reason: Just saw the update.
Me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 6:30am   #54
Scissors
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $366874

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatbush Harry View Post
Also, it's an E felony.
No such thing, assuming you're referring to VA. Our classes of felonies and misdemeanors are numerically designated. Nevertheless, reckless due to speeding is a Class 1 Misdemeanor.

It's only a Class 6 Felony if there is a fatality with your reckless driving as the sole or proximate cause, or if you have a suspended or revoked license due to a moving violation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp
Bad move not using a lawyer (as appears to be the case). I hit a pedestrian and put her in the hospital for four months and I got my reckless reduced to improper driving with a lawyer, and had a ~$75 fine plus court costs (and lawyer, which was $1,000). Granted, it was a dual-fault accident since I was speeding, and she was crossing outside of a crosswalk and against the light, but hey.

You definitely should have gotten a lawyer. Now, instead of a 3-point traffic infraction which goes away in 3 years, you have a 6-point traffic-based criminal charge which goes away in 11 years.

If you did have a lawyer, he sucked.
Scissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 9:22am   #55
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 11,508 Times in 5,030 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munch View Post
I'm surprised you're not in jail right now with your car in the inpound.

Ever since I moved to VA this is my nightmare.

I really hope you can plead to a lesser charge. It's kind of rediculous that 15 over can land someone in jail around here.
Welcome to the communistwealth of VA comrade!!! Va native here and they are definitely a bunch of Nazi's. I miss living in the mountains there, but not not their draconian laws and enforcement of such. When it boils down to it, it's all about the Benjamins.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 9:34am   #56
69camfrk
Barn Stall Owner #6969
NCM Supporter '11, '12,'17,'20
Activity: 4.3%

Thanked 11,508 Times in 5,030 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1071547

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09CTSV View Post

Same thing happened to me in SC back in the 90's. I was on 521 near Manning, tooling along about 57-58 in a 55. It is a 2 lane road and I had just gotten my doors blown off by no less than 3 cars. About 30 seconds later a funeral procession pulls out of a church, so I pull off the side of the road. Behind that procession is a SC trooper. Well, procession goes by, I pull back out on the road, he pulls a U turn and pulls me over. I'm like WTF??? The lying sumbitch says I was doing 70 in a 55 which was nothing but a lie. At the time, I was running Illinois plates because I had been stationed there. He saw that and busted me wide open. I have a very poor opinion of most cops.
69camfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 9:42am   #57
WKMCD
Charter Member

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5852

Reckless driving on your record is probably going to drive your insurance cost up considerably. I can't hire anyone with a reckless ticket on their record for the previous 7 years - my insurance company dictates that.

A lot of people advised you to lawyer up and I still think that was the prudent way to go.

My daughter was caught in a speed trap area near Emporia, VA. Police claimed she was doing 82 in a 55. The charges were reduced to "Defective Equipment - Speedometer" which is not even a moving violation. Total cost was $300 for the lawyer and $75 for the fine. She will recover that in the first year difference of her insurance increase had she taken the Reckless charge.
WKMCD is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic