Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-06-2023, 12:04pm   #1
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,524 Times in 17,278 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Angry Severe Earthquake in Turkey Today

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle...ad-2023-02-06/

Quote:
LONDON, Feb 6 (Reuters) - The magnitude 7.8 earthquake that struck Turkey and Syria on Monday is likely to be one of the deadliest this decade, seismologists said, with a more than 100 km (62 miles) rupture between the Anatolian and Arabian plates.

Here is what scientists said happened beneath the earth's surface and what to expect in the aftermath:
WHERE DID THE EARTHQUAKE ORIGINATE?

The epicentre was about 26 km east of the Turkish city of Nurdagi at a depth of about 18 km on the East Anatolian Fault. The quake radiated towards the northeast, bringing devastation to central Turkey and Syria.
article-prompt-devices
Register for free to Reuters and know the full story

During the 20th century, the East Anatolian Fault yielded little major seismic activity. "If we were going simply by (major) earthquakes that were recorded by seismometers, it would look more or less blank," said Roger Musson, an honorary research associate at the British Geological Survey.

Only three earthquakes have registered above 6.0 on the Richter Scale since 1970 in the area, according to the U.S. Geological Survey. But in 1822, a 7.0 quake hit the region, killing an estimated 20,000 people.
Latest Updates

Huge earthquake kills 2,400 in Turkey and Syria, bad weather worsens plight
Five Palestinian militants dead in Israeli West Bank raid
Israel says it's poised to send quake aid for old foe Syria
Beirut blast investigator puts off interrogations of top officials
Turkey's lira slips to record low, stocks tumble

HOW BAD WAS THIS EARTHQUAKE?

On average, there are fewer than 20 quakes over 7.0 magnitude in any year, making Monday's event severe.

Compared with the 6.2 earthquake that hit central Italy in 2016 and killed some 300 people, the Turkey-Syria earthquake released 250 times as much energy, according to Joanna Faure Walker, head of the University College London Institute for Risk and Disaster Reduction.

Only two of the deadliest earthquakes from 2013 to 2022 were of the same magnitude as Monday's quake.
WHY WAS IT SO SEVERE?

The East Anatolian Fault is a strike-slip fault.

In those, solid rock plates are pushing up against each other across a vertical fault line, building stress until one finally slips in a horizontal motion, releasing a tremendous amount of strain that can trigger an earthquake.

The San Andreas Fault in California is perhaps the world's most famous strike-slip fault, with scientists warning that a catastrophic quake is long overdue.

The initial rupture for the Turkey-Syria earthquake kicked off at a relatively shallow depth.

"The shaking at the ground surface will have been more severe than for a deeper earthquake of the same magnitude at source," David Rothery, a planetary geoscientist at the Open University in Britain, said.
WHAT KIND OF AFTERSHOCKS CAN BE EXPECTED?

Eleven minutes after the initial quake, the region was hit by a 6.7-magnitude aftershock. A 7.5-magnitude quake came hours later, followed by another 6.0 spasm in the afternoon.

"What we are seeing now is the activity is spreading to neighbouring faults," said Musson. "We expect seismicity to continue for a while."

After the deadly 1822 event, aftershocks carried on into the following year.
WHAT MIGHT THE FINAL DEATH TOLL BE?

Earthquakes of similar magnitudes in populated areas have killed thousands of people. Nepal's 7.8-magnitude earthquake in 2015 claimed nearly 9,000 lives.

"It's not going to be good," said Musson. "It will be in the thousands, and could be in the tens of thousands."

Cold winter weather, he added, means that people trapped under rubble have less chance at survival.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:50pm   #2
Giraffe (He/Him)
Goldilocks
Barn Stall Owner #905

Bantayan Kids '13,'15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 16,607 Times in 7,133 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1009320

That’ll curl your snood.
Giraffe (He/Him) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 1:28pm   #3
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15
Activity: 86.0%

Thanked 33,692 Times in 13,649 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $107478

Have they blamed climate change yet?
Aerovette is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aerovette For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 2:31pm   #4
Frankie the Fink
A Real Barner
Activity: 63.7%

Thanked 3,612 Times in 1,618 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Trump's fault obviously but its OK, Kamala will fly to Venezuela to find the root cause.

I was stationed in Turkey in the 70's and they helped the US with intelligence missions and are one tough bunch of people - they're residential/commercial construction ? Not so much...prob a lot of buildings just couldn't take it.
Frankie the Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frankie the Fink For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 2:41pm   #5
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 1,362 Times in 534 Posts

Now we see the damage caused by their Systemic Racism. Nothing 400 or 500 Billion US Dollars can't cure.
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chemtrails99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 2:53pm   #6
Mike Mercury
Chief Meat Gazer
Charter Member
Barn Stall Owner #98
Barn Raising II,III,IV
Activity: 19.1%

Thanked 33,870 Times in 12,342 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5135124

they got nailed good. The two main quakes were centered at a depth of 5-6 miles; that causes significant surface damage.
Mike Mercury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 5:31pm   #7
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie the Fink View Post
Trump's fault obviously but its OK, Kamala will fly to Venezuela to find the root cause.

I was stationed in Turkey in the 70's and they helped the US with intelligence missions and are one tough bunch of people - they're residential/commercial construction ? Not so much...prob a lot of buildings just couldn't take it.
My first thought. I have seen what they do in Mexico. It would be humorous if it wasn't so dangerous.
Old 02-06-2023, 7:37pm   #8
Wathen1955
A Real Barner
Activity: 11.9%

Thanked 5,604 Times in 1,993 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1524159

June 28, 1992.

I was with my wife and 2 kids (7yrs and 5 yrs old) camping just below Big Bear in Southern CA when at 5am, Landers got hit with a 7.3 quake. Since we were sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags, this woke me and my wife up and the kids.

Trying to go back to sleep was impossible due to the thousands of after shocks. The ground felt like it was on marbles rolling back and forth. At this point, I decided to get up and make breakfast, and told the wife that we should probably finish breakfast, pack the car and the kids, and head back home since the ground was still shaking all this time.

About 8am, we were almost finished and ready to leave. I decided to take a leak before we drive off. After leaving the restroom and heading back to the car, the second quake hit. A 6.3. Since I was walking at the time, it threw me to the ground. As I knelt on the ground, I can hear the pine trees singing - they sounded like tuning forks. After about 15 seconds, the quake stopped, and I could hear rock slides all around us, and some people screaming. NOT GOOD!

As I checked to make sure everyone was okay at the campsite, we finished packing the car, but were stopped by a Sheriff, telling us that we can't go anywhere due to the rock slides. He said he would come back in about 2 hours or so. A little after 10am, he comes back and says that we can drive out only through Big Bear. We would have to dodge boulders that were on the 2 lane highway.

Once we got to Big Bear, we saw all the damage from the quake. From here in Big Bear, we had to take the long way back home to Hemet, as all the other routes were closed.

This was the strongest quake that I've felt ever. Never want to go through another one like that.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ock-california
Wathen1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wathen1955 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 10:21pm   #9
Chemtrails99
A Real Barner
Activity: 7.2%

Thanked 1,362 Times in 534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wathen1955 View Post
June 28, 1992.

I was with my wife and 2 kids (7yrs and 5 yrs old) camping just below Big Bear in Southern CA when at 5am, Landers got hit with a 7.3 quake. Since we were sleeping on the ground in sleeping bags, this woke me and my wife up and the kids.

Trying to go back to sleep was impossible due to the thousands of after shocks. The ground felt like it was on marbles rolling back and forth. At this point, I decided to get up and make breakfast, and told the wife that we should probably finish breakfast, pack the car and the kids, and head back home since the ground was still shaking all this time.

About 8am, we were almost finished and ready to leave. I decided to take a leak before we drive off. After leaving the restroom and heading back to the car, the second quake hit. A 6.3. Since I was walking at the time, it threw me to the ground. As I knelt on the ground, I can hear the pine trees singing - they sounded like tuning forks. After about 15 seconds, the quake stopped, and I could hear rock slides all around us, and some people screaming. NOT GOOD!

As I checked to make sure everyone was okay at the campsite, we finished packing the car, but were stopped by a Sheriff, telling us that we can't go anywhere due to the rock slides. He said he would come back in about 2 hours or so. A little after 10am, he comes back and says that we can drive out only through Big Bear. We would have to dodge boulders that were on the 2 lane highway.

Once we got to Big Bear, we saw all the damage from the quake. From here in Big Bear, we had to take the long way back home to Hemet, as all the other routes were closed.

This was the strongest quake that I've felt ever. Never want to go through another one like that.
https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...ock-california

I remember that one, I was in Riverside. It hit pretty hard there too. I walked out into my apartment parking lot and every antenna on every car was waving the same way at the same time. I was awake and first out, got to see a good number of my neighbors naked for few minutes as they came screaming out of their places. Had a bunch of friends in BB we went up and helped clean up later.
Chemtrails99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chemtrails99 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2023, 8:44pm   #10
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 41,524 Times in 17,278 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492
Default Actual cause of earthquake determined!

Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2023, 9:45pm   #11
ratflinger
Barn Stall Owner #THX1138
Activity: 6.8%

Thanked 2,200 Times in 993 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1322

It was the will of Allah - so STFU!
ratflinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 3:00pm   #12
theandies
A Real Barner
Activity: 16.2%

Thanked 1,235 Times in 502 Posts

You know I really don't give a shit one way or the other. I know that's mean and all but I really don't care. When something like this happens in other parts of the world our government, without consulting "We the People" just give our hard earned tax money to these shithole countries but when something happens here we hear silence from the rest of the world. Then I hear about our homeless problems etc. at home and we do nothing about it. I think our money would be better spent to help OUR citizens.
I say each country take care of themselves like we do after a natural disaster.
theandies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theandies For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2023, 6:13pm   #13
Aerovette
Chief Electrician
Barn Stall Owner #7734

Bantayan Kids '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by theandies View Post
You know I really don't give a shit one way or the other. I know that's mean and all but I really don't care. When something like this happens in other parts of the world our government, without consulting "We the People" just give our hard earned tax money to these shithole countries but when something happens here we hear silence from the rest of the world. Then I hear about our homeless problems etc. at home and we do nothing about it. I think our money would be better spent to help OUR citizens.
I say each country take care of themselves like we do after a natural disaster.
The last time I felt like any other country gave a shit about us was during 9/11.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic