Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,610 Times in 761 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $173

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyvettes View Post
Don't confuse his display of "patriotism" for his display of capitalism. I'd hold off on erecting that statue for now. If CNN made him a better offer I'm sure he'd jump over to them again, and then he'd be crying about what a great president Obama is!
Okay going back to what I said in the beginning, I don't agree with EVERY thing he says. You are implying I do and want to "erect a statue" for him, not me.

I will say this, he has provided documented proof for some of his accusations and all the left has done is attack the messenger. You want to win, attack the message.

As far as his business acumen goes, are you saying that your morals wouldn't allow you to do the same thing if you had the pulpit to do so.
We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.( T.Roosevelt)
PortDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 3:51pm   #22
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

Oh and you asked so...

From "Dreams From My Father" in his own words

Quote:
That’s just how white folks will do you. It wasn’t merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn’t know they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn.
Quote:
To avoid being mistaken for a [racial] sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists and punk-rock performance poets. We smoked cigarettes and wore leather jackets. At night, in the dorms, we discussed neocolonialism, Franz Fanon, Eurocentrism, and patriarchy.
Quote:
Our rage at the white world needed no object, he seemed to be telling me, no independent confirmation; it could be switched on and off at our pleasure.
Quote:
[Black]Nationalism provided that history, an unambiguous morality tale that was easily communicated and easily grasped. A steady attack on the white race, the constant recitation of black people’s brutal experience in this country, served as the ballast that could prevent the ideas of personal and communal responsibility from tipping into an ocean of despair. Yes, the nationalist would say, whites are responsible for your sorry state, not any inherent flaws in you. In fact, whites are so heartless and devious that we can no longer expect anything from them. The self-loathing you feel, what keeps you drinking or thieving, is planted by them. Rid them from your mind and find your true power liberated. Rise up, ye mighty race!
Quote:
…I ceased to advertise my mother’s race at the age of twelve or thirteen, when I began to suspect that by doing so I was ingratiating myself to whites…
Quote:
“There are white folks, and then there are ignorant mother****ers like you,” I had finally told the coach before walking off the court that day -Ray assured me that we would never talk about whites as whites in front of whites without knowing exactly what we were doing. Without knowing that there might be a price to pay.
We have room for but one flag, the American flag … We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language … and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.( T.Roosevelt)
Old 05-08-2010, 4:05pm   #23
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

Oh and before you start...again...

Do I think the President is a racist, no. Could things he says and the people he surrounds himself with be seen as "questionable"? Yes also.

If I surrounded myself with a type of people, and hired them to work for me and attended church with them, would other people see me as the same type of person?

Guilt by association, right or wrong?

Could he have chosen his written word better, absolutely, unless he really feels that way.
Old 05-08-2010, 4:08pm   #24
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

From his Pastor of 20 years:

Quote:
“We bombed Hiroshima, we bombed Nagasaki, and we nuked far more than the thousands in New York and the Pentagon, and we never batted an eye.”

“We have supported state terrorism against the Palestinians and black South Africans, and now we are indignant because the stuff we have done overseas is now brought right back to our own front yards. America’s chickens are coming home to roost.” (Sep 2001)

“The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes a three-strike law and then wants us to sing ‘God Bless America.’ No, no, no, God damn America, that’s in the Bible for killing innocent people. God damn America for treating our citizens as less than human. God damn America for as long as she acts like she is God and she is supreme.” (2003)

“In the 21st century, white America got a wake-up call after 9/11/01. White America and the western world came to realize that people of color had not gone away, faded into the woodwork or just ‘disappeared’ as the Great White West kept on its merry way of ignoring black concerns.” (magazine article)

“Racism is how this country was founded and how this country is still run!…We [in the U.S.] believe in white supremacy and black inferiority and believe it more than we believe in God.” (sermon)

“Barack knows what it means living in a country and a culture that is controlled by rich white people. Hillary would never know that. Hillary ain’t never been called a nigger. Hillary has never had a people defined as a non-person.”

“Hillary is married to Bill, and Bill has been good to us. No he ain’t! Bill did us, just like he did Monica Lewinsky. He was riding dirty.” (sermon)

“The Israelis have illegally occupied Palestinian territories for over 40 years now. Divestment has now hit the table again as a strategy to wake the business community and wake up Americans concerning the injustice and the racism under which the Palestinians have lived because of Zionism.”

“The government gives them the drugs, builds bigger prisons, passes three-strike laws and wants them to sing God Bless America. No! No No! God damn America … for killing innocent people. God damn America for threatening citizens as less than humans. God damn America as long as she tries to act like she is God and supreme.”
Old 05-08-2010, 4:11pm   #25
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $16626

I still don't see anything that jumps out at me as saying "I hate white people" by Obama. you don't either or you would agree with Beck.
Old 05-08-2010, 4:12pm   #26
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

From his ex- Green Czar Van Jones

Quote:
"Most of the people who die in police custody die not from drugs or some mysterious syndrome but from police abuse,"

...it’s just very, very hard for white people to hear the pain of the subjugated people in this country...

...But white supremacy, to use the provocative term, will reinterpret that experience for you; and make it not be about your inability to hear, but be about other people’s inability to speak. This is one of the most remarkable things: if you can get this, all doors open. There is the assumption—this is deep, this is deep—there is the assumption that when there’s a breakdown in communication between people of color and white people, that there is an deficiency but that the deficiency is not in white listening, that the deficiency is in black speech. “Why are they so angry?” People start critiquing, and then you find somebody who keeps themselves together just for a little bit and it’s, “Oh that one’s very eloquent, that one’s very articulate.” Right? Always the assumption is that the deficiency lies with the people of color. “Why don’t they care about the environment? What wrong with them, don’t they see the big picture? We’ve been talking at them about this for years? Don’t they see that we have this big beautiful conference, this big beautiful training? Why aren’t they coming? What’s wrong with them? We’ve been outreaching at them for years, I could show you the e-mails I’ve sent outreaching at them. I even make phone calls out reaching at them. What’s wrong with them? Maybe they are just too poor or busy, because certainly there is nothing wrong with our speech!” ...

...it is literally impossible for most white people to hear people of color speak about our pain, just literally impossible. The only people who have a chance to pull it off, are people who have a spiritual practice, who have a meditation practice, who have a contemplative practice..
Old 05-08-2010, 4:13pm   #27
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
I still don't see anything that jumps out at me as saying "I hate white people" you don't either or you would agree with Beck.
You are correct, but, his associations are questionable at best, correct?
Old 05-08-2010, 4:14pm   #28
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

my buddy is a racist. I tolerate it.I blow it off. does that mean I am?
Old 05-08-2010, 4:18pm   #29
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

Yes because you tolerate it. I don't call bigots "buddy".
Old 05-08-2010, 4:19pm   #30
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortDawg View Post
Yes because you tolerate it. I don't call bigots "buddy".
so "guilt by association" defines your argument. have any gay friends?
Old 05-08-2010, 6:30pm   #31
PortDawg
Charter Member - C3 Mod
Barn Stall Owner #34
Barn Raising II

NCM Supporter '15

No toleration defines it.

And yes I do...and no I'm not Gay. That's quite a leap to try to make that association.

Last edited by PortDawg; 05-08-2010 at 6:37pm.
Old 05-08-2010, 6:59pm   #32
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
No toleration defines it.

And yes I do...and no I'm not Gay. That's quite a leap to try to make that association.
ok. have any associates that are ex criminals, adulterers, etc? I think you see my point. in fact, I know you do.
Old 05-08-2010, 7:14pm   #33
vettex2
Banned

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2741

Beck is a buisnessman
he also is full of what makes the grass grow green

a former drunk turned holier than thou should not be a moral compass
vettex2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vettex2 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2010, 11:38pm   #34
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Thanked 2,321 Times in 1,065 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $168047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06PDQ View Post
he's not an idiot. he knows exactly what he's doing. I liken him to Robert Tilton or Jim Baker or some other televangelist. he's got people crying & screaming & hating right along with him & all the while he's making $$ hand over fist for him & his ultimate boss Rupert Murdoch. all this hating & systematic "Boogey Man" talk coming at a time when our nation needs to unify instead of divide even further than we are. Beck says "I'm just a rodeo clown" when he knows better. he knows he has a powerful influence over his audience & he plays them like a finely tuned fiddle. we have a record number of home grown militias [like Huatree] & a record number of death threats against the POTUS. think about that. that says a lot about our society. Beck says "Obama is a racist & he hates white people" without offering proof. Beck says on the subject of FEMA camps [you know the ones where the government is going to round us all up like cattle after they disarm us] "I can't prove they don't exist....I've tried, but I just can't." yeah, sure Glen..... he went into the hospital for a 'rhoid operation. after the operation he's at home & saying "we have the worst health care in the world." a couple of months later [when it's politically valuable to him] he says "we have the best health care in the world" come on people. you can't be this naive.

You and I have never met. I'd hoped that we might at Cars and Coffee or some other event as I read some of your political posts here and on CF and I think there might be some intelligent debate possible, but everything on CF so quickly devolves into name calling and talking past each other. I avoid PR&C at all costs because it's nothing more than a circle jerk of "you don't agree with me so you're an idiot."

I don't watch Beck or listen to Limbaugh because I can make up my own mind and don't need an entertainer to tell me how to think.

I believe the biggest problem facing our country is that both sides say we are at "a time when our nation needs to unify instead of divide even further than we are..." as you say, but neither side wants to give an inch; for good reason. There are real and legitimate differences in the position of the two parties. Most of the time this is obscured behind a smoke screen of finger-pointing and name calling, but there are serious differences in how this country should be run.

I didn't vote for the President. I firmly believe the course of action he has set the country on is wrong headed and has already led to very serious issues that our children and grandchildren will have to deal with.

I'd like your serious and considered opinion on what you think he's doing right.
BuckyThreadkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:05am   #35
iluvmyvettes
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4251

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller View Post
You and I have never met. I'd hoped that we might at Cars and Coffee or some other event as I read some of your political posts here and on CF and I think there might be some intelligent debate possible, but everything on CF so quickly devolves into name calling and talking past each other. I avoid PR&C at all costs because it's nothing more than a circle jerk of "you don't agree with me so you're an idiot."

I don't watch Beck or listen to Limbaugh because I can make up my own mind and don't need an entertainer to tell me how to think.

I believe the biggest problem facing our country is that both sides say we are at "a time when our nation needs to unify instead of divide even further than we are..." as you say, but neither side wants to give an inch; for good reason. There are real and legitimate differences in the position of the two parties. Most of the time this is obscured behind a smoke screen of finger-pointing and name calling, but there are serious differences in how this country should be run.

I didn't vote for the President. I firmly believe the course of action he has set the country on is wrong headed and has already led to very serious issues that our children and grandchildren will have to deal with.

I'd like your serious and considered opinion on what you think he's doing right.
Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make recommendations for ways to cut spending;
Ordered a review of all federal operations to identify and cut wasteful spending and practices;
Instituted enforcements for equal pay for women;
Beginning the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq;
Families of fallen soldiers have expenses covered to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover A.F.B.;
Ended media "blackout" on war casualties; reporting full information;
Ended media "blackout" on covering the return of fallen soldiers to Dover A.F.B.; the media is now permitted to do so pending adherence to respectful rules and approval of fallen soldier's family;
The White House and federal government are respecting the Freedom of Information Act;
Instructed all federal agencies to promote openness and transparency as much as possible;
Limits on lobbyists' access to the White House;
Limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration;
Ended the previous "stop-loss" policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date;
Phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdated weapons systems, which weren't even used or needed in Iraq/Afghanistan;
Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research;
Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research;
New federal funding for science and research labs;
States are permitted to enact federal fuel efficiency standards above federal standards;

Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants...) after years of neglect;
Funds for high-speed, broadband Internet access to K-12 schools;
New funds for school construction;
The prison at Guantanamo Bay is being phased out;
US Auto industry rescue plan;
Housing rescue plan;
$789 billion economic stimulus plan;
The public can meet with federal housing insurers to refinance (the new plan can be completed in one day) a mortgage if they are having trouble paying;
US financial and banking rescue plan;
The "secret detention" facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere are being closed;
Ended the previous policy; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards;
Better body armor is now being provided to our troops;
The missile defense program is being cut by $1.4 billion in 2010;
Restarted the nuclear non-proliferation talks and building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocols;
Reengaged in the treaties/agreements to protect the Antarctic;
Reengaged in the agreements/talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions;
Visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any president in his first six months in office;
Successful release of US captain held by Somali pirates; authorized the SEALS to do their job;
US Navy increasing patrols off Somali coast;
Attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles;
"Cash for clunkers" program offers vouchers to trade in fuel inefficient, polluting old cars for new cars; stimulates auto sales;
Announced plans to purchase fuel efficient American-made fleet for the federal government;
Expanded the SCHIP program to cover health care for 4 million more children;
Signed national service legislation; expanded national youth service program;
Instituted a new policy on Cuba, allowing Cuban families to return "home" to visit loved ones;
Ended the previous policy of not regulating and labeling carbon dioxide emissions;
Expanding vaccination programs;
Immediate and efficient response to the floods in North Dakota and other natural disasters;
Closed offshore tax safe havens;
Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals;
Ended the previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back;
Ended the previous practice of protecting credit card companies; in place of it are new consumer protections from credit card industry's predatory practices;
Energy producing plants must begin preparing to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources;
Lower drug costs for seniors;
Ended the previous practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug manufacturers for cheaper drugs; the federal government is now realizing hundreds of millions in savings;
Increasing pay and benefits for military personnel;
Improved housing for military personnel;
Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses;
Improved conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other military hospitals;
Increasing student loans;
Increasing opportunities in AmeriCorps program;
Sent envoys to Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years; reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy;
Established a new cyber security office;
Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force... this includes new procurement policies, increasing size of military, new technology and cyber units and operations, etc.;
Ended previous policy of awarding no-bid defense contracts;
Ordered a review of hurricane and natural disaster preparedness;
Established a National Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money and making federal operations more efficient;
Students struggling to make college loan payments can have their loans refinanced;
Improving benefits for veterans;
Many more press conferences and town halls and much more media access than previous administration;
Instituted a new focus on mortgage fraud;
The FDA is now regulating tobacco;
Ended previous policy of cutting the FDA and circumventing FDA rules;
Ended previous practice of having White House aides rewrite scientific and environmental rules, regulations, and reports;
Authorized discussions with North Korea and private mission by Pres. Bill Clinton to secure the release of two Americans held in prisons;
Authorized discussions with Myanmar and mission by Sen. Jim Webb to secure the release of an American held captive;
Making more loans available to small businesses;
Established independent commission to make recommendations on slowing the costs of Medicare;
Appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court;
Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans;
Limited salaries of senior White House aides; cut to $100,000;
Renewed loan guarantees for Israel;
Changed the failing/status quo military command in Afghanistan;
Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan;
New Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans;
Announced the long-term development of a national energy grid with renewable sources and cleaner, efficient energy production;
Returned money authorized for refurbishment of White House offices and private living quarters;
Paid for redecorations of White House living quarters out of his own pocket;
Held first Seder in White House;
Attempting to reform the nation's healthcare system which is the most expensive in the world yet leaves almost 50 million without health insurance and millions more underinsured;
Has put the ball in play for comprehensive immigration reform;
Has announced his intention to push for energy reform; and
Has announced his intention to push for education reform.

Got any other questions Bucky???
iluvmyvettes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvmyvettes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 3:29am   #36
iluvmyvettes
Vette Barn Crew

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $4251

Quote:
Okay going back to what I said in the beginning, I don't agree with EVERY thing he says. You are implying I do and want to "erect a statue" for him, not me.

I will say this, he has provided documented proof for some of his accusations and all the left has done is attack the messenger. You want to win, attack the message.

As far as his business acumen goes, are you saying that your morals wouldn't allow you to do the same thing if you had the pulpit to do so.
It's hard to say, Dawg. I've been in sales and sales management my whole career. Even though it might have cost me a few bucks, I can sleep whell at night knowing that I've NEVER lied or twisted the truth to my clients. Beck ......and Palin, for that matter, have proven that they are nothing more than human garbage, in my humble opinion!!!
iluvmyvettes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iluvmyvettes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 9:15am   #37
Z06PDQ
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckyThreadkiller View Post

I'm sorry I missed you at Cars & Coffee. I was looking forward to meeting you. I've enjoyed your posts [well, most of them] for years on CF. I agree that "neither side wants to give an inch" & that's too bad. I think Obama made a genuine effort to offer an olive branch to the Pubs & they spat in his face. they are steadfastly balking on everything he & the Dems are trying to do for America. Beck keeps the hate alive. and "hate" is really the only term that fits what is going on. he's not the only one of course. Palin,Limbaugh,Hannity, Michelle Bachmann [God,what a loon] are all right in there & profiting mightily from all this hate. PRC is a perfect example of what people like Beck have done. when they had to put a sticky at the top of the forum to remind members to not make any more death threats against Obama because the FBI had contacted them & warned them it just really brings the point home. the Right loves to mock Obama's "hope & change" slogan & then steadfastly fight anything but the old status quo. how do you have change without doing anything? Iluvmyvettes put up a pretty impressive list of things Obama is "doing right." I can't add much more other than to say Obama's skills as a leader were underestimated by a lot of people.the Right is putting out the "one termer" propaganda & I hear people repeating it. it's too early to say that. I agree that staying out of PRC is the best thing to do, but sometimes I find myself in there when the thread has been moved. some decent moderators might be able to clean that place up & make a civil place to discuss things, but we know that'll never happen.
Old 05-09-2010, 9:20am   #38
SteelCityBlue
A Real Barner
Activity: 0.4%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $106691

Well, if his ratings continue to plummet along with the lack of real commercials, this may not a be a concern for long...
SteelCityBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteelCityBlue For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2010, 12:45pm   #39
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvmyvettes View Post
Got any other questions Bucky???

I believe that's an excellent cut and paste of talking points. Did you actually read most of these? There's a LOT of smoke and mirrors in there - Telling people to "Go do your job" doesn't strike me as a big deal. And padding the list by saying the same thing three or four different ways doesn't add credibility.

I've tried to collect areas that make sense without deleteing any content.

Ordered all federal agencies to undertake a study and make recommendations for ways to cut spending;
Ordered a review of all federal operations to identify and cut wasteful spending and practices;
Established a National Performance Officer charged with saving the federal government money and making federal operations more efficient;

Isn't that the job description of the GAO? They are tasked with uncovering waste in the government so that's a case of issuing orders and creating additional bureaucracies to do something that should already be going on.

Instituted enforcements for equal pay for women;
See above - Equal pay for equal work has been federal law since 1963.

Beginning the withdrawal of US troops from Iraq;
Can't argue that. But I thought he said we'd be out of there before the end of 2009?

Families of fallen soldiers have expenses covered to be on hand when the body arrives at Dover A.F.B.;
Ended media "blackout" on war casualties; reporting full information;
Ended media "blackout" on covering the return of fallen soldiers to Dover A.F.B.;
the media is now permitted to do so pending adherence to respectful rules and approval of fallen soldier's family;
I don't know if it's a good idea or not.

The White House and federal government are respecting the Freedom of Information Act;
Instructed all federal agencies to promote openness and transparency as much as possible;
Really? when do we get to see the workings of the Fed and the Tarp funds? The president's school or medical records or even the infamous sealed birth certificate?

Limits on lobbyists' access to the White House;
Limits on White House aides working for lobbyists after their tenure in the administration;
Lobbyists shouldn't be allowed period.

Ended the previous "stop-loss" policy that kept soldiers in Iraq/Afghanistan longer than their enlistment date;
Better body armor is now being provided to our troops;
Good ideas. Isn't his Defense Secretary a carry over from the previous administration?

Phasing out the expensive F-22 war plane and other outdated weapons systems, which weren't even used or needed in Iraq/Afghanistan;
The F/22 may not be needed in Iraq or Afganistan. But you don't build weapons for fights you have today. Plus the F/22 is expensive on a per plane basis because the total number of aircraft has been cut by a short sighted Congress to a fraction of the initial contract build number.

Removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research;
Federal support for stem-cell and new biomedical research;
Stem cell research is a good thing. Embryonic SCR is morally a non-starter.

More below...
Old 05-09-2010, 1:04pm   #40
BuckyThreadkiller
Barn Stall Owner #12
Barn Raising I
NCM Supporter '11, '12

...continued -

Now there a bunch of these that are simply a function of throwing money at things. Money we are borrowing from the Chinese. He has tripled the national debt in less than 18 months and here's how:

New federal funding for science and research labs;
Increased infrastructure spending (roads, bridges, power plants...) after years of neglect;
Funds for high-speed, broadband Internet access to K-12 schools;
New funds for school construction;
US Auto industry rescue plan;
Housing rescue plan;
$789 billion economic stimulus plan;
The public can meet with federal housing insurers to refinance (the new plan can be completed in one day) a mortgage if they are having trouble paying;
US financial and banking rescue plan;
Visited more countries and met with more world leaders than any president in his first six months in office;
Attractive tax write-offs for those who buy hybrid automobiles;
"Cash for clunkers" program offers vouchers to trade in fuel inefficient, polluting old cars for new cars; stimulates auto sales;
Announced plans to purchase fuel efficient American-made fleet for the federal government;
Expanded the SCHIP program to cover health care for 4 million more children;
Signed national service legislation; expanded national youth service program;
Increasing student loans;
Students struggling to make college loan payments can have their loans refinanced;
Increasing opportunities in AmeriCorps program;
Instituted a new focus on mortgage fraud;
Making more loans available to small businesses;

States are permitted to enact federal fuel efficiency standards above federal standards;
Helping the auto industry and then doing this is so counter-productive I can't even believe it. Anyone who thinks this wouldn't lead to 30-50 different sets of regs for fuel efficiency is nuts.

The prison at Guantanamo Bay is being phased out;
I thought it would be closed the day he took office? What happened there?

The "secret detention" facilities in Eastern Europe and elsewhere are being closed;
Ended the previous policy; the US now has a no torture policy and is in compliance with the Geneva Convention standards;
The missile defense program is being cut by $1.4 billion in 2010;
Restarted the nuclear non-proliferation talks and building back up the nuclear inspection infrastructure/protocols;
These strike me as supremely naive. Right up there with publishing the number of nuclear weapons we have. Some secrets should remain secret.

Instituted a new policy on Cuba, allowing Cuban families to return "home" to visit loved ones;
Terrific. when can I get a real Cohiba?

Successful release of US captain held by Somali pirates; authorized the SEALS to do their job;
US Navy increasing patrols off Somali coast;
OK. See Roosevelt, T. R. - Pirates are one reason why we have a Navy.

Reengaged in the treaties/agreements to protect the Antarctic;
Reengaged in the agreements/talks on global warming and greenhouse gas emissions;
Ended the previous policy of not regulating and labeling carbon dioxide emissions;
Announced the long-term development of a national energy grid with renewable sources and cleaner, efficient energy production;
Some of these are totally ridiculous. How can we be green and regulate CO2 which plants need to survive?

Immediate and efficient response to the floods in North Dakota and other natural disasters;
Ordered a review of hurricane and natural disaster preparedness;
Really? Really? Two weeks to see if the DoD had anything to take to the Gulf to contain the BP Explosion? Seen ANY federal response other than a disaster declaration in Tennessee?

Closed offshore tax safe havens;
Negotiated deal with Swiss banks to permit US government to gain access to records of tax evaders and criminals;
Ended the previous policy of offering tax benefits to corporations who outsource American jobs; the new policy is to promote in-sourcing to bring jobs back;
Ended the previous practice of protecting credit card companies; in place of it are new consumer protections from credit card industry's predatory practices;
Energy producing plants must begin preparing to produce 15% of their energy from renewable sources;
Many of these are good ideas. Truthfully, 20+ of deregulation of the financial, airline and energy industry has shown that a certain level of regulation and public oversight is very necessary.

Lower drug costs for seniors;
Expanding vaccination programs;
Ended the previous practice of forbidding Medicare from negotiating with drug manufacturers for cheaper drugs; the federal government is now realizing hundreds of millions in savings;
Established independent commission to make recommendations on slowing the costs of Medicare;
Attempting to reform the nation's healthcare system which is the most expensive in the world yet leaves almost 50 million without health insurance and millions more underinsured;
Medicare - touch it and die a quick policitical death. Throw other people's money at it and you're a hero.

Increasing pay and benefits for military personnel;
Beginning the process of reforming and restructuring the military 20 years after the Cold War to a more modern fighting force... this includes new procurement policies, increasing size of military, new technology and cyber units and operations, etc.;
Improved housing for military personnel;
Improving benefits for veterans;
Authorized construction/opening of additional health centers to care for veterans;
Ended previous policy of awarding no-bid defense contracts;
Initiating a new policy to promote federal hiring of military spouses;
Improved conditions at Walter Reed Military Hospital and other military hospitals;
While the Walter Reed issue is an apparent boondoggle, The military is one area we should always support and rarely have - going back to Valley Forge.

Sent envoys to Middle East and other parts of the world that had been neglected for years;
reengaging in multilateral and bilateral talks and diplomacy;
Even those parts where they bomb our Embassys?

Established a new cyber security office;
Good and necessary

Many more press conferences and town halls and much more media access than previous administration;
If it's a friendly crowd and not Fox News. I don't watch Fox, but there's no reason the Administration should restrict them. The adversarial relationship between the press and the White House goes back to Adams

The FDA is now regulating tobacco;
Stupid. Either make it illegal or legal, this middle of the road crap is a waste of time, money, and policy hours.

Ended previous policy of cutting the FDA and circumventing FDA rules;
Ended previous practice of having White House aides rewrite scientific and environmental rules, regulations, and reports;
See my comments about a necessary level of regulation. But it should pertain to any and all imports as well.

Authorized discussions with North Korea and private mission by Pres. Bill Clinton to secure the release of two Americans held in prisons;
Authorized discussions with Myanmar and mission by Sen. Jim Webb to secure the release of an American held captive;
These are accomplishments? How much did ransoming these three people cost? Did it cost as much money as was saved by:
Returned money authorized for refurbishment of White House offices and private living quarters;
Paid for redecorations of White House living quarters out of his own pocket;
Grandstanding. We, the people, provide the President's living quarters - it doesn't belong to the occupant. If anything, it should have been covered by private donations dealt with in a public campaign like the Statue of Liberty.

Appointment of first Latina to the Supreme Court;
Limited salaries of senior White House aides; cut to $100,000;
These are actual Executive functions - that what he's supposed to do.

Changed the failing/status quo military command in Afghanistan;
Deployed additional troops to Afghanistan;
New Afghan War policy that limits aerial bombing and prioritizes aid, development of infrastructure, diplomacy, and good government practices by Afghans;
Haven't we tried this "Win the hearts and minds" thing before?

Has put the ball in play for comprehensive immigration reform;
Has announced his intention to push for energy reform; and
Has announced his intention to push for education reform.
Writing memos and launching trial balloons is not governing nor it is leadership.

Renewed loan guarantees for Israel;
Held first Seder in White House;
This should buy a lot of goodwill if an Iranian nuke makes Tel Aviv a glowing hole in the sand.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BuckyThreadkiller For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Politics & Religion