Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-03-2012, 10:45am   #41
Cybercowboy
2016 Election Expert
Barn Stall Owner #64
Activity: 34.6%

Thanked 10,155 Times in 4,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $11380138

Florida Seminoles? THAT'S RACIST!

Florida Marlins? THAT'S FISHEST!

Florida Devil Rays? THAT'S ANTI-SATAN!

Miami Heat? THAT'S ANTI-ANTARCTIC!
Cybercowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cybercowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 11:07am   #42
LilRedCorvette
A Real Barner
Activity: 6.5%

Thanked 3,563 Times in 1,393 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $3016342

Already happened in my native NY, our high school mascot is/was the Warrior. The area in NY I'm from has Iroquois nation roots, hence the mascot choice back in the 60s (when the school was built). However, due to all the PC BS, they changed the Indian Head motif to a Spartan looking one.

I think the intent was to celebrate positive attributes like bravery and courage as well as acknowledge the area's Native American history...now, everyone is offended by everything...oh well...
LilRedCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:21am   #43
73sbVert
Barn Stall Owner #20
Barn Stall Owner #33

Barn Raising I,II
NCM Supporter '11,'13,'14,'20,'21
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 1.8%

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,958 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $988270

I'd LOVE for tribal spokespeople to come out and publicly say:

"STOP THE BULLSHIT!!!! We are NOT offended by naming or depicting Native Americans in your sports teams, or schools. As long as you're not directly insulting us by the portrayal, then we are PROUD to represent your schools or teams."

Stupid white guilt.

I'm half Indian and I'm more offended by those with the self-righteous, faux indignation, and trying to fix something that isn't broke in order to appease their own perceived wrong.

Idiots.
73sbVert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 73sbVert For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 11:39am   #44
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52
Activity: 4.6%

Thanked 20,246 Times in 6,727 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9339471

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sbVert View Post

"STOP THE BULLSHIT!!!! We are NOT offended by naming or depicting Native Americans in your sports teams, or schools. As long as you're not directly insulting us by the portrayal, then we are PROUD to represent your schools or teams."

Stupid white guilt.

I'm half Indian and I'm more offended by those with the self-righteous, faux indignation, and trying to fix something that isn't broke in order to appease their own perceived wrong.

Idiots.
Well said.
lspencer534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01pm   #45
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 97.1%

Thanked 41,287 Times in 17,169 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73sbVert View Post

Stupid white guilt.

Idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
Well said.

What he said.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:01pm   #46
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 77.6%

Thanked 5,091 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamma View Post
.....and people wonder why I'm no longer proud of my country.
I will NEVER not be proud of my country.. Those currently running my country are another matter.
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fasglas For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 12:19pm   #47
Fasglas
Barn Stall Owner #457
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 77.6%

Thanked 5,091 Times in 2,389 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10200183

Quote:
Originally Posted by island14 View Post
As a descendant of the Slapahoe tribe myself, I would be proud to see a good sports team wear our name on their jersey
SLAPAHOE??

BTW: What becomes of,
1. INDIANAPOLIS
2. INDIANA
3. CHEYENNE
4. SOUIX CITY, FALLS, etc.

There are THOUSANDS of locations with "Indian" names.
WHO decides who changes and who doesn't?

Hmmmm...
Fasglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:31pm   #48
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
While I obviously also vehemently disagree with his sentiments, the classy thing to do is make your argument and leave the crass insults out of it.
Meh.

I'm grouchy in the mornings. As I don't believe in your or anyone else's right to be entitled to an apology if you feel offended by what I say, there will be none.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer534 View Post
with this ****-sucking piece of shit.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:35pm   #49
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasglas View Post
I will NEVER not be proud of my country
While I agree with this, I will add that I am becoming deeply ashamed of what our country is becoming.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 12:38pm   #50
Bill
10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 97.1%

Thanked 41,287 Times in 17,169 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
While I agree with this, I will add that I am becoming deeply ashamed of what our country is becoming.
I think what you are both getting at is a version of "love the sinner, hate the sin."
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:40pm   #51
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_daniels View Post
I think what you are both getting at is a version of "love the sinner, hate the sin."
I think that's something we can agree on.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:43pm   #52
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52

Uhhh...bill_daniels, I'm sorry I called you a ****-sucking piece of shit.
The Following User Says Thank You to lspencer534 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2012, 6:40pm   #53
MattW
Barn Stall Owner #81
Barn Raising II
Activity: 19.1%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $5242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
Not sure if you're serious...
I don't give a crap one way or another about the original subject of team mascot names. What set me off was two threads - this being one - on the first page of OT with pessimistic observations about the future of my United States.

If you have ever said or thought "This country is going to Hell" or "This country is going down the tubes" and meant it - then I believe you are a fool.

My America doesn't need the cowardice of the soul this kind of pessimism hallmarks.

Many self-identified "conservatives" of my acquaintance are nothing more than soul-cowards. Afraid of the immigrant, afraid of gays, afraid of scientific advancement, afraid of future loss of personal privilege, afraid of insignificant, immaterial social change, afraid afraid afraid...

I am tired of these useless pessimistic cowards.

I don't know how these people even get out of bed, because the world outside their house is so threatening, frightening and scary to them.

"Liberals" and "Progressives" are just as bad with their naive, foolish belief that they can create a society of perfect equality and opportunity if only they had enough resources. Poor, foolish deluded souls. But at the least - at the very least - Liberals are optimists.

On the whole I prefer the company of people who say "Can" and "Will" and "Well, why *not*?" instead of "Can't" and "Shouldn't" and "Better not".

Which are you... and why?
MattW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 7:28pm   #54
mrvette
Latin American Goat Roper
Barn Stall Owner #101
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 9.0%

Thanked 11,553 Times in 5,695 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1138393

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post
I don't give a crap one way or another about the original subject of team mascot names. What set me off was two threads - this being one - on the first page of OT with pessimistic observations about the future of my United States.

If you have ever said or thought "This country is going to Hell" or "This country is going down the tubes" and meant it - then I believe you are a fool.

My America doesn't need the cowardice of the soul this kind of pessimism hallmarks.

Many self-identified "conservatives" of my acquaintance are nothing more than soul-cowards. Afraid of the immigrant, afraid of gays, afraid of scientific advancement, afraid of future loss of personal privilege, afraid of insignificant, immaterial social change, afraid afraid afraid...

I don't know how these people even get out of bed, because the world outside their house is so threatening, frightening and scary to them.

"Liberals" and "Progressives" are just as bad with their naive, foolish belief that they can create a society of perfect equality and opportunity if only they had enough resources. Poor, foolish deluded souls. But at the least - at the very least - Liberals are optimists.

On the whole I prefer the company of people who say "Can" and "Will" and "Well, why *not*?" instead of "Can't" and "Shouldn't" and "Better not".

Lots of meaningless words over nothing, and if you can't realize it, you are hopeless....

mrvette is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 7:32pm   #55
lspencer534
Dorkapottamus
Barn Stall Owner #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvette View Post
Lots of meaningless words over nothing, and if you can't realize it, you are hopeless....

with What's-his-face.
Old 06-03-2012, 7:38pm   #56
Millenium Vette
Barn Stall Owner #101
GTMS ‘18
Activity: 7.6%

Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,540 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $6269655

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattW View Post

I would be one who is in touch with reality, there is reason to be pessimistic right now. To not recognize that there are serious problems with the direction this country is headed would be foolish. I would classify my political bias as conservative, though I am not afraid of immigrants. Let's not confuse uncontrolled illegal immigration with legal immigration. I am also not afraid of gays, as a matter of fact, I really don't think about them much at all. I do think that homosexuality is abnormal, but I really don't care how they choose to live and I don't think gays are bad people. Afraid of scientific advancement? I can't remember the last time I cowered in fear of a new discovery.

Afraid of future loss of personal privilege? Yes, I live in reality and that one does concern me with the direction things are headed. Afraid of insignificant, immaterial social change? I'm not sure what is meant by that one, but if it is "gay marriage", I wouldn't call that insignificant social change.

Compare this "pessimism" to a sinking ship. To smile and be happy when the ship is progressing to the bottom of the sea seems kind of silly to me. I would rather start bailing and fix the leak, or at least put on a life jacket.
Millenium Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 7:40pm   #57
Chris Fowler
Barn Stall Owner #6
Bantayan Kids '13,'14,'15,'17
Activity: 0%

Thanked 1,484 Times in 828 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $437465

How long until they realize that some of the states are named after Indian tribes...
Chris Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 7:47pm   #58
99 pewtercoupe
Barn Stall Owner #74
Barn Raising II

Bantayan Kids '13,'17
Activity: 6.1%

Thanked 14,832 Times in 6,552 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $10393746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamma View Post
Believe me, I know. I'm proud of the basis on which this country was founded and established - and I'm proud of those who serve this country. But when you sit back and look at all this crap......Can't say God, can't say Christmas, can't say Indian, black - everyone finds EVERYTHING offensive. Say it in the wrong place - get sued. I mean really? Have the majority of the people in this country become that big of pussies?! It's pathetic.

Another weak link in this country is the welfare system - now that I've seen and worked with it, but that's a rant for another day.
100% on target Yamma. Sometimes I am glad Becka and I dont have kids since this country is heading into the crapper
Next thing you know they will be saying they have a constitutional right to all the SMAC they want
99 pewtercoupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 7:45am   #59
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenium Vette View Post
I would be one who is in touch with reality, there is reason to be pessimistic right now. To not recognize that there are serious problems with the direction this country is headed would be foolish. I would classify my political bias as conservative, though I am not afraid of immigrants. Let's not confuse uncontrolled illegal immigration with legal immigration. I am also not afraid of gays, as a matter of fact, I really don't think about them much at all. I do think that homosexuality is abnormal, but I really don't care how they choose to live and I don't think gays are bad people. Afraid of scientific advancement? I can't remember the last time I cowered in fear of a new discovery.

Afraid of future loss of personal privilege? Yes, I live in reality and that one does concern me with the direction things are headed. Afraid of insignificant, immaterial social change? I'm not sure what is meant by that one, but if it is "gay marriage", I wouldn't call that insignificant social change.

Compare this "pessimism" to a sinking ship. To smile and be happy when the ship is progressing to the bottom of the sea seems kind of silly to me. I would rather start bailing and fix the leak, or at least put on a life jacket.
Well, shit. I was gonna make a nice, long answer to our new forum troll MattW, but this post sums up exactly what I was going to say. Rather succinctly, I might add.

And, at this point I believe you are nothing but a troll, MattW... as evidenced by your series of posts here, along with the context in which you submitted them. Your first post was intentionally designed to produce some controversy along the lines of a premise which you later denied.

Whatever. Even if you were serious in your initial defense of the issue in the OP, which I now doubt, it isn't worth discussing such an absurd notion. And if you're trying to be a troll, I'll say this... your first trolling attempt in your first post in this thread was successful. Later, you tried too hard.

So now I'm turning the tables back on you, MattW. Which are you? Troll or babbling idiot?

And to the patriots here who are willing to call out such politically correct horseshit as referenced in the OP, I salute you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 7:51am   #60
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecooool View Post

The bigger question is that if a race of people find a word offensive, why would you still want to use it?
And an even bigger question is that if a race of people find a word offensive, why would they continue to use it themselves while calling anyone else who uses it, racist?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sea Six For This Useful Post:

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic