Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?

What's Cooking? Share your recipes and food preparation tips here.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-31-2012, 9:51pm   #1
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,117 Times in 5,352 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256
Default Menchi Curry with potato/cheese/bacon korokke

FYI...any spelling errors will be fixed later. We're hitting the pool.

Menchi Curry with potato/cheese/bacon korokke

2 large onions
2 lbs ground beef
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons worcestershire Sauce
1 box panko bread crumbs
1 large beef roast or 1 pack of stew meat
5 eggs (maybe a few more, depending on how many you use when dredging)
2 potatoes
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
1/4 cup crumbled bacon
Salt
Pepper
Flour
Sticky rice

Make a few cups of sticky/Japanese rice according to the directions.

Mince one large onion pretty finely. I used a large yellow onion that amounted to over 2 cups.

Melt the butter in a pan.

Add the onions to the pan with salt and pepper (to taste...I don't really measure it.) Sauté the onions until they're translucent.

After they're done, set them aside to cool.

Cut the potatoes up in chunks and boil.

While the potatoes boil and the onions cool, cut up your roast into small pieces. Discard any large chunks of fat. Any beef roast will do...you'll be simmering for awhile, so it will tenderize. I usually just grab whatever is on sale.

Brown the cut up roast in a large pot.

After its brown, cut up the other onion in large chunks.

Sidebar: The curry sauce I am using today is Vermont and Java. I'm doing half a package of each. One package asks for 5 3/4 cups of water for the package recipe, while the other package asks for 5 1/4 cup. I always add a little less than what the package alls for, so I settled on 5 cups of water.

Add the water and the onions to the pot. Bring to a boil and them turn to simmer. This will simmer for a few hours while you do everything else...making sure the beef is nice and tender.

Grab your ground beef add half the sautéed onion mixture and 2 eggs. This can be seasoned up any way you like. I generally add a few tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce, minced garlic, salt and pepper, about 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs. Think similar to meatloaf, without as much breadcrumb filler. Mix the ingredients.

Set aside the hamburger mix.

Strain your potatoes and mix them with the cheese and bacon, salt and pepper...while they're still warm.

Set aside and let the potatoes cool. You're going to add an egg later, but you don't wan the egg to cook due to the heat from the potatoes.

Set up your area to bread the hamburger patties. I used about 1/2 cup ground beef for each. Form the patties, dip in flour, then egg and then panko.

After you've breaded all of the hamburger patties, add your egg to the potato mixture and mix together.

Form the potatoes into small patties. I make them about 1/2 the size of the hamburger patties. Do the same breading technique for the potato patties.

End result of the patties, with the hamburger at the top of the pic:

Put the potato patties in the refrigerator. They're easier to work with when they're cold.

At this time, remove the onions from the beef/onion/water pot. Then add the curry mix. Continue to simmer, stirring often.

Simmering and thickening:

Put about an inch of vegetable oil into a frying pan and heat the oil. Your oils is ready when a few breadcrumbs sizzle when dropped into the pan. Begin frying the hamburger. Brown on each side. Handle them with care until the begin to firm up (from cooking) or they'll fall apart.

Fry them in small batches, keeping the completed patties warm in the oven. Use a pan that will allow the oil to drain away from the patties.

As you're making the patties, you'll have to skim away the well done bread crumbs.

Don't forget to keep stirring the curry sauce this whole time. so it doesn't stick to the bottom of your pot.

After the hamburger patties are done, start on the potato patties.

If you have a partner, you can have them make some gyoza. Luckily, IC's daughter was here, so she broke away from the menchi and curry and started boiling some gyoza. She drained them and let them dry off a bit.

These were just frozen gyoza I picked up from the Asian market. If you have a Trader Joe's near you, they have pretty good frozen gyoza.

Then Michelle heated a pan with a little bit of oil and fried the gyoza.

Meanwhile, the hamburger and potato patties were finished up.

Gyoza were finished and oil was patted off.

The setup for the condiments.

Cut up the menchi...

Normally, the potato korokke doesn't get cut up, but I took a hit for the team and cut mine open for your viewing pleasure.

Remove the curry sauce from the stove. Plate up some rice, the menchi and korokke. Cover the rice and menchi with curry sauce.

With the gyoza, mix rice vinegar, shoyu (soy sauce) and chili oil for dipping. Serve fukujinzuke (the red stuff on the plate) with curry.

Enjoy!!!!!

In keeping with the Japanese menu, we had good snacks and beverages. The caffeine high from my UCC coffee carried me through the afternoon.

Love the Pocky!!!

Last edited by NEED-A-VETTE; 08-01-2012 at 12:39am.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NEED-A-VETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2012, 1:13am   #2
Sea Six
Barn Stall Owner #16A
Barn Stall Owner #16B

NCM Supporter '11,'13
Bantayan Kids '13
Activity: 3.2%

Thanked 13,007 Times in 7,317 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $602908

Awesome, Sandy!

Thanks for all your work in posting this. I can't wait to try it.
Sea Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50am   #3
NEED-A-VETTE
Moderatrix
Barn Stall Owner #109
BR Organizer II,III,IV

NCM Supporter '17
Bantayan Kids '13,'15,'17
Activity: 9.0%

Location: Your not a good moderator either, V-A-G. Honestly I find it kind of funny.
Thanked 18,117 Times in 5,352 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $9966256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Six View Post
Awesome, Sandy!

Thanks for all your work in posting this. I can't wait to try it.
I don't ordinarily make the menchi and the korokke at the same time, but I had potatoes that needed to be used up.

It's pretty labor intensive, so I make big batches for leftovers.
NEED-A-VETTE is offline   Reply With Quote

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > What's Cooking?